Bowles can't name backup QB

AFJF

6 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Jet fans look at Bryce Petty spreading the ball all over the place and tell themselves he's improving  . Jet fans look at Christian Hackenberg taking sacks and throwing interceptions and tell themselves he is terrible .The truth is somewhere in the middle and only the person who designed the scheme and is calling the plays knows the truth . Since he isn't or hasn't done what Jet fans say he should do, he's an idiot .

Consider this as part of the equation if you will . When you make a successful pass, was it due to your understanding of the play, did you actually execute the play the way it was intended, or did you just made a play because time allowed you the opportunity to make a play ?  When you didn't execute the play the way it was called, was it due to your understanding of the play called, your execution of the play called or the time you had to execute the play called .

A pass thrown into triple coverage that resulted in a TD is celebrated, but truth be told, it was a terrible decision by the QB . Still a TD and still celebrated, just like the wonderful season Fitzpatrick had in 2015 or was it ? 

The only thing that matters in the end is, was the play a completion, or was it a Pic/sack?  I honestly don't care if it's Petty, or Hack that steps up.  The only thing I don't want to see is McCown wasting a year, because "he gives us the best chance to win" 5 games.

What I do find interesting is that Petty had never played under center before being drafted, and Hack has played in a Pro set.  You would think that Hack would be light years ahead of Petty, clearly he's not.  Petty was playing better then Hack in his second pre-season game against Atlanta his rookie year, then Hack is right now.

And NO, Hack is not a rookie.  He's in a better spot to preform then Petty was in when he was thrown in last year after not being able to practice for 8 weeks before playing.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Technically the offer (if I recall correctly) was a $6m SB with 3 years' salary at $6m apiece, and $15m gtd, plus any incentives reached where it could max out at 3 yrs $36m.

We actually offered this, lol. And he actually turned it down -- double lol.

Why are you double laughing at him turning it down?  It was a good gamble for him financially.  He performed as bad as humanly possible and will make almost the exact same amount.  $12M from the Jets + $3M from the Bucs.  If he signed that proposed deal he would have gotten $15M guaranteed, but that would have been $6M bonus + $6M for 2016  + $3M more for 2017.  He basically left $3M on the table for playing as bad as possible and I actually think he has the opportunity to make that up with incentives (NLTBE) in the Bucs deal.  

Slightly off the original topic, but I really find myself rooting for McCown... I'm not sure exactly -what- I'm rooting for, but the more I read about the guy as a person the more I like him. I'm starting to understand why teams like him in the 'mentor' role, even if that's kind of a non-factor in some minds.

I guess I'm hoping he goes out and makes a respectable effort. I know we want to see Petty (and Hack) but I'll be happy to watch McCown keep things steady. 

2 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

Slightly off the original topic, but I really find myself rooting for McCown... I'm not sure exactly -what- I'm rooting for, but the more I read about the guy as a person the more I like him. I'm starting to understand why teams like him in the 'mentor' role, even if that's kind of a non-factor in some minds.

I guess I'm hoping he goes out and makes a respectable effort. I know we want to see Petty (and Hack) but I'll be happy to watch McCown keep things steady. 

Well the good news then is, if he plays steady, and wins 5-6 games, he'll probably be back next year to.  The Jets won't have a shot at an early QB more then likely 

2 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Well the good news then is, if he plays steady, and wins 5-6 games, he'll probably be back next year to.  The Jets won't have a shot at an early QB more then likely 

Ya, I guess this is dicey, but I think he could play respectably, but still not win any games... I think it's mostly just about him not embarassing himself. I'd hate to see that. No 6 INT games, for example.

10 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

I'm guessing you're the guy wearing the Fitzpatrick jersey in 2016

10 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

Ya, I guess this is dicey, but I think he could play respectably, but still not win any games... I think it's mostly just about him not embarassing himself. I'd hate to see that. No 6 INT games, for example.

I get it.  He does seem like a decent guy.  Actually since smith is gone all of the Jets QB's look like really good guys................If only they were really good QB's :)

3 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Jet fans look at Bryce Petty spreading the ball all over the place and tell themselves he's improving  . Jet fans look at Christian Hackenberg taking sacks and throwing interceptions and tell themselves he is terrible .The truth is somewhere in the middle and only the person who designed the scheme and is calling the plays knows the truth . Since he isn't or hasn't done what Jet fans say he should do, he's an idiot .

Consider this as part of the equation if you will . When you make a successful pass, was it due to your understanding of the play, did you actually execute the play the way it was intended, or did you just made a play because time allowed you the opportunity to make a play ?  When you didn't execute the play the way it was called, was it due to your understanding of the play called, your execution of the play called or the time you had to execute the play called .

A pass thrown into triple coverage that resulted in a TD is celebrated, but truth be told, it was a terrible decision by the QB . Still a TD and still celebrated, just like the wonderful season Fitzpatrick had in 2015 or was it ? 

I think Petty has improved. I don't know if the truth is somewhere in the middle. No one thinks he's now a taller Drew Brees; just that he looks a little better (despite getting the **** end of the stick in reps this summer), looks better than Hackenberg, and in a season like this seems far less pointless than starting McCown.

Who called Hackenberg an idiot, that you're framing a complaint as though it was commonplace? I've seen criticism all over, that he was way overdrafted, that he sucks, that he's not ready, that he'll never be any good, that he's not accurate, and I've seen a few people suggest that he's a douche. An idiot? The only thing that would make him an idiot is staying at PSU when he had the chance for a fresh start elsewhere; you can admire his loyalty while still acknowledging it wasn't too smart a decision. Not being good enough to be an NFL starter at age 22 doesn't make one an idiot. The idiot is the guy who drafted him.

No argument on your last point; Fitz had good stats but he wasn't a good QB. It's why I don't think unofficial stats like dropped interceptions are meaningless. Or rather, they're meaningless for that game or that season after the win is in the bag, but they're not meaningless when predicting future success and expecting the unexpected to repeat. The anticipation of dumb luck is not a sound plan; I'm totally with you there. 

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Why are you double laughing at him turning it down?  It was a good gamble for him financially.  He performed as bad as humanly possible and will make almost the exact same amount.  $12M from the Jets + $3M from the Bucs.  If he signed that proposed deal he would have gotten $15M guaranteed, but that would have been $6M bonus + $6M for 2016  + $3M more for 2017.  He basically left $3M on the table for playing as bad as possible and I actually think he has the opportunity to make that up with incentives (NLTBE) in the Bucs deal.  

Well yes and no. If he started this year again, he'd make more than $6m with incentives added in. Plus he was guaranteed a roster spot even if he sustained a career-ending injury; plus at the time of the contract the schedule looked far harder than it ended up being; plus he ought to know he sucks, the line was expected to be even worse, and the team just traded in its young power back on a career year for an old has-been. In short, Capt. Harvard should have been smart enough to realize just how lucky he got in 2015.

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Well yes and no. If he started this year again, he'd make more than $6m with incentives added in. Plus he was guaranteed a roster spot even if he sustained a career-ending injury; plus at the time of the contract the schedule looked far harder than it ended up being; plus he ought to know he sucks, the line was expected to be even worse, and the team just traded in its young power back on a career year for an old has-been. In short, Capt. Harvard should have been smart enough to realize just how lucky he got in 2015.

Ah, but then he would be stuck on the Jets and would not be able to restart the cycle.  He is what?  34 years old?  He can only pull of this stunt of seeming decent another couple of times.

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Ah, but then he would be stuck on the Jets and would not be able to restart the cycle.  He is what?  34 years old?  He can only pull of this stunt of seeming decent another couple of times.

Not necessarily. They could have handed the job to Petty, who'd get injured after 1-2 weeks, and then Fitz still starts at least 13 games.

He cost himself a guaranteed minimum of $3m so far, and just with some realistic playing time incentives alone - forget team-based incentives - it could have been as much as $8-10m.

IMO a 34 year-old, 6'2" tall, weak-armed QB with a history of choking, collapsing, and getting injured wasn't getting 2 years of a $4-5m/yr raise above a $12m base salary.

And here's the other crazy part. Say the Jets cut him just to move on from him and other veterans anyway, he could have still made $6m this year (if there wasn't offset language on the y2 guarantee, and even if there was I'm sure there's a way around it by paying him the $1m minimum but guaranteeing a $2m RB in March of '18 (on top of a voidable salary after that). 

So...late Friday night and Bowles still doesn't know who the backup QB is.  I get it.  A lot could happen in the walkthrough tomorrow to change the math because you know...they are so neck and neck in preparedness to play.  I swear those 9 sacks Hack took look just like Petty's 2 if you squint really hard.  

Player     Att Cmp Pct Yds YPA TD TD% Int Int% Lg   Sack Loss Rate
        B. Petty     48 32 66.7 426 8.9 3 6.2 1 2.1 85t   2 10 106.8
        C. Hackenberg     74 42 56.8 372 5.0 2 2.7 2 2.7 26   9 59 68.1

8 hours ago, nycdan said:

So...late Friday night and Bowles still doesn't know who the backup QB is.  I get it.  A lot could happen in the walkthrough tomorrow to change the math because you know...they are so neck and neck in preparedness to play.  I swear those 9 sacks Hack took look just like Petty's 2 if you squint really hard.  

I think the most important conventional stat is yards per attempt. Those sacks should come off of that number which would put Hack at around 3 yards/attempt. May as well just run every down.

More important than stats is the eye test. Many of the "experts", even on the Jets staff, I believe are influenced, maybe subconsciously by their previous film study on Petty and predictions. 

I want to see Petty play in some real games in this West Coast offense. Preferably beginning against a defense that is not overwhelmingly superior to our offense. 

Bowles isn't getting enough credit for keeping the identity of his starting RT under wraps.

Imagine you're the Bills and you've spent all of this time, probably the past few months, game-planning to face Brandon Shell, and then BOOM... all that prep is rendered meaningless when it's actually Brent Qvale.  No way the Bills recover from that.

14 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Bowles isn't getting enough credit for keeping the identity of his starting RT under wraps.

Imagine you're the Bills and you've spent all of this time, probably the past few months, game-planning to face Brandon Shell, and then BOOM... all that prep is rendered meaningless when it's actually Brent Qvale.  No way the Bills recover from that.

Wait until Shell lines up at TE instead! That'll throw them. 

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

He hasn't confirmed the LT or center as well as the backup safety which may be a CB that has experience playing safety.

He will not say which one so unless the opposing team has access to prior season's records they will have no idea who that may be.  

1 hour ago, NYs Stepchild said:

He hasn't confirmed the LT or center as well as the backup safety which may be a CB that has experience playing safety.

He will not say which one so unless the opposing team has access to prior season's records they will have no idea who that may be.  

Playin' chess while everybody else is playing checkers.

On 09/09/2017 at 5:26 AM, nycdan said:

Man, if you removed the names, I'd have a hard time telling which guy was which.  Photo finish, this one is.

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

Man, if you removed the names, I'd have a hard time telling which guy was which.  Photo finish, this one is.

Yeah, but McClown gives us "the best chance to win". The NFL should have some chick that goes around and slaps a HC every time he says that drivel. If it was a competition, Petty won. I hope McClown pulls a pussy muscle on the first play.

Just now, johnnysd said:

Yeah, but McClown gives us "the best chance to win". The NFL should have some chick that goes around and slaps a HC every time he says that drivel. If it was a competition, Petty won. I hope McClown pulls a pussy muscle on the first play.

Still can't believe he handed the job to McCown despite Petty showing as much improvement as he did, and then goes on to say he has no regrets about not giving Petty any reps with the 1's during the pre-season.  Not sure why he dislikes Petty so much, but he clearly sees him as more of a nuisance than a quarterback.

4 hours ago, AFJF said:

Still can't believe he handed the job to McCown despite Petty showing as much improvement as he did, and then goes on to say he has no regrets about not giving Petty any reps with the 1's during the pre-season.  Not sure why he dislikes Petty so much, but he clearly sees him as more of a nuisance than a quarterback.

Why didn't any other teams try to trade for petty then?

If he is that good, other teams would have noticed

http://sport.daily.lonews.ro/live/report-jets-rebuffed-2-teams-trade-inquiries-for-petty

Report: Jets rebuffed 2 teams' trade inquiries for Petty

The New York Jets may appear to be tanking, but they were reportedly reluctant to part with the more promising of their two young quarterbacks.

Two teams made trade inquiries about Bryce Petty over the summer, but were rebuffed by the Jets, NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports.

Petty lost the starting quarterback battle to veteran Josh McCown, but flashed potential when starting late last season and outplayed second-year man Christian Hackenberg during the preseason.

The Jets will likely be in search of a new franchise quarterback following the season, but Petty has at least earned a shot at being part of the team's long-term plans.

2 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

http://sport.daily.lonews.ro/live/report-jets-rebuffed-2-teams-trade-inquiries-for-petty

Report: Jets rebuffed 2 teams' trade inquiries for Petty

The New York Jets may appear to be tanking, but they were reportedly reluctant to part with the more promising of their two young quarterbacks.

Two teams made trade inquiries about Bryce Petty over the summer, but were rebuffed by the Jets, NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports.

Petty lost the starting quarterback battle to veteran Josh McCown, but flashed potential when starting late last season and outplayed second-year man Christian Hackenberg during the preseason.

The Jets will likely be in search of a new franchise quarterback following the season, but Petty has at least earned a shot at being part of the team's long-term plans.

This is actually good news, right.

Archived