Pryor Released

KRL

8 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Bad players (Milliner/Amaro) mixed with bad players that had bad attitudes (Geno/IK/Pryor) mixed with one good player who also had a bad attitude (Richardson) and you understand why this team is as bad as it is today.  

I remember when we picked this bust, and I said, "What did he say?"

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, BCJet said:

Its not like Idzik drafted guys who didnt become stars, but were decent or average NFL players for a few years - these guys arent even in the league

Our first and second round picks have now been waived by their respective teams, neither 4th round WR is in the league, and jermiah george is barely on a team.

To say Mac is entirely at fault for this roster is absurd.  12 picks and one quality player (Enunwa) is an abomination that has likely never been seen in the NFL

Well, all except Idzik gift wrapped 50 mil of cap space along with high draft pick for the next GM. That gift wrapped 6th overall draft pick further became a gift wrapped consensus first overall pick, which happens to be Macs only good draft choice so far. So to say this purge isn't mostly on Mac, is false. He handed rediculous contracts to aging vets, none of which ever matured besides Carpenters deal. That's not on Idsh*t. Mac has indeed ****ed this up with no solution in sight besides a complete tank. Don't get me wrong, Mac isn't even trying to tank. He just has no clue what to do. Cuz if you wanna tank, why not do it with petty or Hack under center? Completely clueless. 

12 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

Idzik personally scouted Pryor.  That's some good stuff right there.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2014/05/calvin_pryors_path_to_jets_can_be_traced_to_october_game_against_blake_bortles.html

Upon returning to New Jersey, Idzik interrupted Rex Ryan’s preparation for an upcoming game against the New England Patriots.

“He said, ‘Hey, I just saw a guy you are going to absolutely love,’” Ryan recalled

Pryor left a quick impression on Idzik that night, exhibiting the attributes that led the general manager to say Thursday: “He fits our profile.” Specifically, Idzik pointed to the safety’s ability to cover large portions of the field, leave dents in opposing players with a hard-hitting demeanor and create turnovers.

20 hours ago, papz187 said:

What a waste of a pick

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

You know what - that might be the case but if you identify a high draft pick that's not panning out - you cut your losses and move on instead of paying the guy's salary continuously for 5 or 6 years just because he was a high draft pick - like past regimes here have done.

Good job to MAC for cutting his losses and not keeping this schmuck around just because he was a high draft pick.

And in all honesty, the same can be said about Sheldon Richardson;

Richardson was a good player but his "I'm bigger than the team and not accountable to anybody" attitude sucked - and I'm glad Mac cut that cancer out of our locker room.

I'll take that 2nd round pick and smile about it right up until the 2018 draft.

You know what - that might be the case but if you identify a high draft that's not panning out - you cut your losses and move on instead of paying the guy's salary continuously for 5 or 6 years just because he was a high draft pick - like past regimes here have done here.
Good job to MAC for cutting his losses and not keeping this schmuck around just because he was a high draft pick.
And in all honesty, the same can be said about Sheldon Richardson;
Richardson was a good player but his "I'm bigger than the team and not accountable to anybody" attitude sucked - and I'm glad Mac cut that cancer out of our locker room.
I'll take that 2nd round pick and smile about it right up until the 2018 draft.

Yeah I agree, keeping a guy on draft status alone is just compounding the teams mistake instead of cutting your losses and moving forward.

I give Tampa Bay credit for doing this.....during Hard Knocks they cut a kicker they took in the 2nd round just a year or two ago for Folk, and also cut a runningback they just drafted in the 5th round a couple months ago.

The picks were mistakes in retrospect, but at least they didn't compound them by keeping them when it was justifiable.

7 hours ago, jamesr said:

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2014/05/calvin_pryors_path_to_jets_can_be_traced_to_october_game_against_blake_bortles.html

Upon returning to New Jersey, Idzik interrupted Rex Ryan’s preparation for an upcoming game against the New England Patriots.

“He said, ‘Hey, I just saw a guy you are going to absolutely love,’” Ryan recalled

Pryor left a quick impression on Idzik that night, exhibiting the attributes that led the general manager to say Thursday: “He fits our profile.” Specifically, Idzik pointed to the safety’s ability to cover large portions of the field, leave dents in opposing players with a hard-hitting demeanor and create turnovers.

Pryor was all Idzik.  

Rex talked him up after he was drafted -- like he does most of his players -- so maybe that's why some people think that Rex was behind the pick.  But no, Pryor was Idzik's guy.

5 hours ago, papz187 said:

Yeah I agree, keeping a guy on draft status alone is just compounding the teams mistake instead of cutting your losses and moving forward.

I give Tampa Bay credit for doing this.....during Hard Knocks they cut a kicker they took in the 2nd round just a year or two ago for Folk, and also cut a runningback they just drafted in the 5th round a couple months ago.

The picks were mistakes in retrospect, but at least they didn't compound them by keeping them when it was justifiable.

The Jets do not do this.  They favor and coddle their draft picks.

5 hours ago, papz187 said:

They cut a 2nd round tight end.  We jumped all over him. 

Usually I look at the draft and say "Alright, let's see what we got after the year is through." In 2014 it just seemed like such an immediate failure. The Pryor and Amaro picks were the only ones that had any level of excitement to them because we needed a Safety and a pass-catching TE so badly.  

They whiffed so badly it's borderline tragic.

1. Pryor at 18? 1st safety off the board could have been Clinton-Dix or Bucannon. Or we could have taken Cooks, Kelvin Benjamin, Bridgewater, Carr... you name it... practically every player taken after Pryor has been at the least serviceable with some Pro-Bowlers sprinkled in. 
  2. Amaro - Why was this guy so bad? Injuries? Bad coaching? Just too dumb for the playbook coming from Texas Tech? He was a consensus late 1-early 2 and in the convo with ASJ, Ebron, and Niklas. Could have had Davante Adams, Allen Robinson, Jarvis Landry or dare I say... Jimmy Garoppolo.
  3. 10 Picks from rounds 3-7 and they only hit on Enunwa. Personally favorite is both Jalen Saunders and Shaq Evans over Martavis Bryant. 

The common criticism is that we whiffed on WR, taking 3 and missing out on the top tier talent... but we also didn't pull the trigger on any of the QB's and man that has come back to bite us. We stood pat with Vick/Geno/Simms. 

Such a freaking failure. I know playing this game is silly but we could have drafted Derek Carr and Allen Robinson OR Cooks and Garoppolo haha

On 9/7/2017 at 7:50 PM, bostonmajet said:

so Mac dumped Pryor's contract and Pryor to a bad team and they now eat the contract and release him as useless;

in return we got a LB who played well in pre-season who took a pay cut to come here.

maybe we aren't tanking as much as unloading useless garbage with bloated contracts, and getting back something serviceable for a year or two.

maybe he is doing what he can with the crap he was dealt.

nah! he sucks. fire Idzik!

We'd all be more sympathetic if his drafts and FA acquisitions were anything to get excited about. The best compliments I've seen that people can come up with is the sentiment that he isn't as bad as Idzik. Talk about grading on a curve!

On top of the cap flexibility and high draft picks that incoming GMs drool over, he was also dealt arguably the best young DL in football (certainly for 3-man lines). 3 stud young DLmen, all still on their rookie contracts, and the 2 better + more talented of the 3 are gone now. The 3rd one was skipping and showing up late to meetings, and picking up most of his sacks in garbage time, and he was rewarded with 2 guaranteed seasons on a $17m/yr contract. He unnecessarily loses one of them for a bottom 3rd round compensatory pick - and he only got that much because another one of his terrible UFA pickups was so atrocious and useless that he could justify cutting him midseason after paying him $3m. He gave up another, also for the value of a bottom 3rd rounder, because he used a #6 overall pick to only marginally increase the talent level of the already-stacked DL. In effect, we traded the 6th overall pick for a late 3rd round pick and some temporary cap space.

Maccagnan is wholly undeserving of any sympathy whatsoever when he's done such an embarrassingly poor job in his own right. Never in the history of the NFL has a team been 1000:1 odds to win the superbowl. Not in year 1 with the team he inherited, but rather it's in year 3 after dishing out $200m in new veteran contracts, 22 draft picks of his own, on top of another dozen that he's surrendered for others' veterans.

So yeah, he does suck. Very much so.

14 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

We'd all be more sympathetic if his drafts and FA acquisitions were anything to get excited about. The best compliments I've seen that people can come up with is the sentiment that he isn't as bad as Idzik. Talk about grading on a curve!

On top of the cap flexibility and high draft picks that incoming GMs drool over, he was also dealt arguably the best young DL in football (certainly for 3-man lines). 3 stud young DLmen, all still on their rookie contracts, and the 2 better + more talented of the 3 are gone now. The 3rd one was skipping and showing up late to meetings, and picking up most of his sacks in garbage time, and he was rewarded with 2 guaranteed seasons on a $17m/yr contract. He unnecessarily loses one of them for a bottom 3rd round compensatory pick - and he only got that much because another one of his terrible UFA pickups was so atrocious and useless that he could justify cutting him midseason after paying him $3m. He gave up another, also for the value of a bottom 3rd rounder, because he used a #6 overall pick to only marginally increase the talent level of the already-stacked DL. In effect, we traded the 6th overall pick for a late 3rd round pick and some temporary cap space.

Maccagnan is wholly undeserving of any sympathy whatsoever when he's done such an embarrassingly poor job in his own right. Never in the history of the NFL has a team been 1000:1 odds to win the superbowl. Not in year 1 with the team he inherited, but rather it's in year 3 after dishing out $200m in new veteran contracts, 22 draft picks of his own, on top of another dozen that he's surrendered for others' veterans.

Is that burnt coffee I smell, or is Macc on FIRE after that burn?

17 hours ago, bigalbarracuda said:

Usually I look at the draft and say "Alright, let's see what we got after the year is through." In 2014 it just seemed like such an immediate failure. The Pryor and Amaro picks were the only ones that had any level of excitement to them because we needed a Safety and a pass-catching TE so badly.  

They whiffed so badly it's borderline tragic.

1. Pryor at 18? 1st safety off the board could have been Clinton-Dix or Bucannon. Or we could have taken Cooks, Kelvin Benjamin, Bridgewater, Carr... you name it... practically every player taken after Pryor has been at the least serviceable with some Pro-Bowlers sprinkled in. 
  2. Amaro - Why was this guy so bad? Injuries? Bad coaching? Just too dumb for the playbook coming from Texas Tech? He was a consensus late 1-early 2 and in the convo with ASJ, Ebron, and Niklas. Could have had Davante Adams, Allen Robinson, Jarvis Landry or dare I say... Jimmy Garoppolo.
  3. 10 Picks from rounds 3-7 and they only hit on Enunwa. Personally favorite is both Jalen Saunders and Shaq Evans over Martavis Bryant. 

The common criticism is that we whiffed on WR, taking 3 and missing out on the top tier talent... but we also didn't pull the trigger on any of the QB's and man that has come back to bite us. We stood pat with Vick/Geno/Simms. 

Such a freaking failure. I know playing this game is silly but we could have drafted Derek Carr and Allen Robinson OR Cooks and Garoppolo haha

Idzik couldn't negotiate one trade with all those picks. Couldn't keep any FAs, or sign any new ones. Worst negotiator in history. Cheap ass, paranoid, and hesitant. Afraid to make a mistake he let every opportunity pass by until he was left with the scraps. 

Drafted the same way. Afraid to take a chance he stayed put every round and took a safe pick every time. Especially with 11 picks you can afford to take high risk choices, like Ha-Ha or Carr, and hope 1/4 of them pan out. We didn't even have roster spots for all those picks so why worry if most of them bust. I'll bet Id drives a Volvo. 

Fortune favors the Bold. Then we hired the Bowles. Fortune does not favor the Bowles.

15 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

1. My comments were about the trade itself. Everyone crapped all over the trade. I am not lining up Mac as GM of the year. In fact, if neither Petty nor Hack work out, his first two drafts were meh at best. BUT, one can talk about a good move without praising the GM in general; that is a big problem on this board; if you like a GM you like everything; if you don't you don't

2. He traded a crap player for another player who while not great will contribute and saved Cap space without it; The player he traded was sooo bad, he couldn't stick at one of the other worse teams in the NFL; the fire Idzik, however, was about another wasted pick from his regime. There was no sympathy for Mac, just a - hey this trade wasn't so bad after all. And he inherited a team without any real talent that was WAY worse than we thought.

3. I never once mentioned Sheldon, but since you did (yes I know that talking about one trade, clearly opens the door for talk about another trade and crapping more on Mac), I have to say 'good riddance'; yes I know that he had tremendous potential and never quit on plays, but this guy was a head case from day 1. everyone knew that which is why he slid down to 13. Not to mention that the most sacks the Jets got in a game last year, came during, wait for it... his one game suspension. He was one more dumb move away from getting suspended AGAIN. Most of this board jumped all over Mac for not trading him last year and were talking about getting anything, even a 4th for him. You wanted him to say, fine, but getting a 2nd and a WR plus saving his cap money was a great trade for the Jets. Better than most expected. He is someone else's problem now.

4. Yep, he may suck, but if neither Hack or Petty pan out - he is likely gone. And you can piss over then next CRAPPY GM we get. Because not matter who we get, he/she/it will make mistakes, miss out on some draft pick someone wanted, and clearly not win us a SB in his first year. Yes Mac may suck, but unloading another Idzik mistake is a good move no matter how you look at it. Could other GMs have done better, yeah maybe, but others could have done worse.

The good news is that by the end of the year we either have found our QB of the future, will be inline to draft him, or at least will be in a position to hire a quality GM. With 80 million in cap, the New York market, and no were to go put up, GMs will hopefully falling all over themselves to take over the Jets.

Archived