Jets delivered a message to Mo Wilkerson by trading away Sheldon

Scoop24

The Jets delivered a not-so-subtle message to Muhammad Wilkerson by trading away former Pro Bowler Sheldon Richardson last week: Get your act together or you’ll be gone, too.

There are only two untouchable players on the Jets roster. Neither one of them is named Wilkerson. (It’s Leonard Williams and Jamal Adams, if you hadn’t already guessed).

Although team decision makers have their fingers crossed that Wilkerson won’t replicate his humiliating 2016 campaign, they’re fully prepared to cut the mercurial defensive lineman if he underperforms again, according to people in the know.

Make no mistake about it: Wilkerson might have pulled off a $36.75 million heist by signing a five-year, $86 million deal last year, but the Johnson & Johnson gravy train will stop at the end of the calendar year if the player doesn’t deliver.

Wilkerson is on a one-year audition. If he slips up, he’s gone.

There’s a no-nonsense vibe within the organization about Wilkerson, who embarrassed the Jets on and off the field after cashing in last year. Some folks on One Jets Drive were privately fuming that the guy intimated that his awful production (4.5 sacks) was somehow tied to poor planning by the team’s training/medical staff.

Some people in the organization felt that Wilkerson used his ankle issue (stemming from off-season leg surgery) as a convenient crutch, a red herring by an underperforming player. He was plenty healthy, they insist. Those people were also fully aware that Wilkerson wasn’t exactly keeping himself in good shape in the months immediately after the season. (Opposing scouts told me in March that Wilkerson was a bit portly at Temple Pro Day).

Regardless, Wilkerson didn’t comport himself like a professional, let alone a “team leader,” last season. Bowles met with Wilkerson about disciplinary issues before the defensive lineman inked his multi-year contract. (Remember: Wilkerson sat out the first quarter of a game against the Giants in 2015 due to tardiness issues).

The player promised to stay on the straight and narrow path, cashed in and then continued his unacceptable and unprofessional behavior.

Wilkerson continued to be late. He missed a Saturday practice before a Week 7 game against the Ravens after a night of revelry celebrating his birthday.

His no-show became the butt of jokes when word leaked out that the team had a birthday cake waiting for him. Bowles disciplined Wilkerson again by sitting him for the first quarter of a Week 8 loss in Miami. Not surprisingly, the Jets brain trust was not pleased. Wilkerson made them look like fools.

Should they trust him now?

Wilkerson might have been shamed into staying on the right path. He’s already seen two of his best friends, Damon Harrison and Richardson, leave the building.

Decision makers, frankly, were just as troubled with what they witnessed from Wilkerson on the field as they were with his off-field transgressions.

“Mo doesn’t cut it loose all the time,” one source told me last month. “There’s times when he takes a lot of plays off.”

“He confuses being active with playing hard,” a Jets insider added. “He thinks he’s giving his all, but there’s a difference between just giving effort and actually playing hard and playing all-out.”

The Jets made a mistake doling out a multi-year deal for Wilkerson. The smarter decision would have been to make a guy coming off leg surgery play last season on the $15.7 million franchise tag. Wilkerson’s underwhelming campaign would have further solidified the team’s leverage if they wanted to keep him on a team-friendly multi-year deal this past offseason. Or they could have simply let the underachieving player walk this summer and turn their sights to Richardson and Williams.

Instead, general manager Mike Maccagnan placed his faith in Wilkerson by giving him $21 million more in fully guaranteed money in the multi-year deal. He also let Harrison walk into the waiting arms of the Giants and turn in an All-Pro season.

Wilkerson’s $18 million cap charge this season is more than twice as much as any other Jets player. The organization needs a return on its investment this season.

Wilkerson’s $16.74 million base salary for 2018 doesn’t become fully guaranteed until the third day of the new league year next March. In other words, he’s not really guaranteed anything beyond this season. The Jets would save $17 million and incur only a $3 million dead money charge against next year’s cap if he’s designated as a post-June 1 cut.

The Jets hope Wilkerson returns to Pro Bowl form (12 sacks in 2015), but the powers that be aren’t committed to him beyond 2017.

Richardson’s departure should free up opportunities for Wilkerson, who had season-highs in total tackles, solo tackles and sacks in the one game that Richardson missed last season. Wilkerson also flourished during Richardson’s four-game suspension to start the 2015 season.

Wilkerson has taken baby steps toward becoming a better leader, but plenty of work in that area remains. His talent has never been in doubt.

Whether the Jets can fully trust him is an altogether different question. His future with the team hinges on that answer.  

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-delivered-message-mo-wilkerson-trading-sheldon-article-1.3478076

1 minute ago, jeremy2020 said:

I'm sure Mo is being kept up at nights about a different team paying him the contract the Jets negotiated...a team that is likely significantly better..

He said the jets will cut him .. as if he has no trade value .. it's a intresting take .. 

1 minute ago, LionelRichie said:

Terrible contract that you have to assume Woody had his hand in as much as Macc.  

He is one of the highest paid players in the entire NFL and is basically just a guy at this point.   Anything short of total dominance and he's gone next year.   His money is better used on Cousins.  

Even if that's case I would be pissed if they flat out released him and got no compensation back for him .

Ugh. Mehta is the worst. 

This team is young, energized, and have an us against the world mentality. Mo is now their veteran leader on defense and everyone (except some fans and turd buckets like Mehta), including the Jets brass are 100% behind him. 

But I recognize that this is a 'what have you done for me lately' league and you have to perform or be gone. So Macc was actually smart by structuring the contract in such a way that the Jets could cut bait without incurring a massive cap hit next year. I don't think people give Macc enough credit for the way he structures deals with an eye on the future. It doesn't always work out, but he makes sure the team has options. 

I expect Mo to bounce back, especially with improved play in the secondary. 

BTW- I predict McCown will end up being a great signing despite the vitriol it got from fans and pundits alike. He is a great veteran leader, knows the system and will keep the offense together and motivated. 

This team will surprise. Maybe even win 8 games. Deal with it. We're not getting the first pick in the draft unless we trade up. This team will be better than that. 

GO JETS. 

15 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

Terrible contract that you have to assume Woody had his hand in as much as Macc.  

He is one of the highest paid players in the entire NFL and is basically just a guy at this point.   Anything short of total dominance and he's gone next year.   His money is better used on Cousins.  

LOL He had one bad season coming off a broken leg. A season where EVERYONE played awful on defense (excluding L.Williams) and 1/2 the veterans quit. A season where the secondary was horrible and nobody on the line was able to get pressure on QBs. 

You are ignoring everything he did for this team from the day he was drafted and the great season he had before last year. Now anything short of total dominance and you cut him??? He's 'just a guy at this point'???? What are you smoking?

Glad you are not the GM. Very shortsighted. You would cut Tom Brady b/c the Pats lost against the Chiefs last night and he had ZERO TD's. Time to move on and bring in Garoppolo!   

This is  why I laugh when people utter stupid things like "Our owner should cut any player who doesn't stand for the anthem!".  Every player with a guaranteed contract would be on their knees, mostly just thanking said owner for being a dumbass and letting them cash in and go somewhere else so they can make even more. 

Unfortunately there's not much you can really do.  If a player cashes in and stops trying, you are screwed.  I'd almost rather see them bench someone than cut them outright.  You're already on the hook for the money.  No reason to reward a guy for being a lazy ass because all you'll do is show everyone else that's the way to get out of their contracts.

49 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Remember this is Mehta who seems to have it in for Wilkerson.

I knew who wrote it without question about a paragraph in.  Mehta is the biggest douche of all the douchey beat writers, and he spends an excessive amount of time carrying on like a little bitch about his personal issues with Wilk.

Even if there is a real possibility of the Jets parting ways with Wilk next offseason, which wouldn't surprise me, it does not change that just the entire tone of this article, and some of the subjective nonsense spewed, is such a pile of tabloid trash that I couldn't even get through it.  Mehta clearly has some very serious issues.

16 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

He said the jets will cut him .. as if he has no trade value .. it's a intresting take .. 

Players who have trade value are those on rookie or otherwise good contracts.   Teams do not give draft picks to pay a player $10+mm/year.  

2 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

I am glad that the Jets kept Pelon and Pennel and have Simon, Johnson and Thomas stashed on the practice squad/IR.

The future for the Jets is one high-priced DL, with money better spent on QB and EDGE LBs.

31 minutes ago, PepPep said:

This team will surprise. Maybe even win 8 games. Deal with it. We're not getting the first pick in the draft unless we trade up. This team will be better than that. 

One definitely senses that the team could be better than expected, but when do the analysis game by game, it is tough to see more than a couple of wins.   Both could be against Buffalo.

There definitely appears to have been a resurgence in the NFL in strong team management.  When you look at other teams, you can see why people think the Jets are going to be so bad.   Virtually all of the other teams have better players.

Even Buffalo, for all their cutting, still has a bunch of talented players on their roster.   The Buffalo game is not an easy win either.

mehta is a douchebag w/o question but Mo is definitely playing for his contract this yr. His gtd money has been paid, he can be cut prior to March 3rd with significant cap savings. If he has another jag year he will definitely be cut or at least have to take a paycut. In fact I would be mildly surprised if he is on the roster next year w/o taking a pay cut. Due to the money due on his contract he is practically untradeable. 

11 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Used to love Wilk, and I still have hopes that he can return to beast-mode, but it's a real kick in the balls to see him throwing away his career with immaturity and complacency. There's nothing worse than a lack of effort. 

There was a time when Wilk was right behind JJ Watt in terms of DL dominance.  I think that was around the same time when a race of Giants roamed the earth?

38 minutes ago, varjet said:

One definitely senses that the team could be better than expected, but when do the analysis game by game, it is tough to see more than a couple of wins.   Both could be against Buffalo.

There definitely appears to have been a resurgence in the NFL in strong team management.  When you look at other teams, you can see why people think the Jets are going to be so bad.   Virtually all of the other teams have better players.

Even Buffalo, for all their cutting, still has a bunch of talented players on their roster.   The Buffalo game is not an easy win either.

I think it depends on a few factors. One, as always, being injuries. Another is how this Jets team gels- particularly on offense, and to be more specific, the offensive line. I think the defense will be solid on every level. 

I think its feasible that the Jets beat Miami at least once, Buf at least once, Cleveland, Jax, and possibly, depending on injuries, Carolina, NO, and the Chargers. Clearly, the odds are that they will not beat all these teams. But I definitely see more than a couple of wins this year. And no, none of the games will be 'easy' for this team and a lot of things would have to go right. But I don't nec. see why they wouldn't. 

1 hour ago, Scoop24 said:

Even if that's case I would be pissed if they flat out released him and got no compensation back for him .

At his salary, he is untradable.  Not even for a 7th rounder.  Heck, it can be argued that a 3-4 end with 10 sacks every year isn't worth that much let alone a guy that doesn't seem to want to be great.  Unless he turns into JJ Watt, hes probably getting released.  The Jets can then use that to lock up Leo for life.

12 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Another awful move by our awful gm.  The new gm will deal w/ Mo next year.

So if Mo plays 16 games and shows that he is an impact player and anchor of the Jets D-line you will change your mind about Macc re-signing him?

You, know, kinda like he did in 2011, 12, 13, and 15...  

Its amazing to me how quickly fans are willing to turn on Mo. 

2 minutes ago, Pcola said:

At his salary, he is untradable.  Not even for a 7th rounder.  Heck, it can be argued that a 3-4 end with 10 sacks every year isn't worth that much let alone a guy that doesn't seem to want to be great.  Unless he turns into JJ Watt, hes probably getting released.  The Jets can then use that to lock up Leo for life.

Whaaaa? A 3-4 DE that gets 10 sacks a year is not worth that much? WTF are you talking about? When you play 3-4 base and you have a guy that is stout against the run, anchors your line and is able to generate 10 sacks a year you lock that guy up. He is an every down player. Despite his recent injury, Mo is also a guy that only missed 4 games in 6 seasons. 

3 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Whaaaa? A 3-4 DE that gets 10 sacks a year is not worth that much? WTF are you talking about? When you play 3-4 base and you have a guy that is stout against the run, anchors your line and is able to generate 10 sacks a year you lock that guy up. He is an every down player. Despite his recent injury, Mo is also a guy that only missed 4 games in 6 seasons. 

You dont give that kind of contract out unless the guy is an absolute superstar.  Wilk never has been, is or will be a superstar.  

7 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

You dont give that kind of contract out unless the guy is an absolute superstar.  Wilk never has been, is or will be a superstar.  

What are you talking about? Wilk makes less than Suh (19mil) and is on par with Cox (17 mil) and Vernon (17mil). None of those guys are 'superstars'. I can name a bunch of other players- non QBs mind you that are not nearly as good and make close to what Mo makes. 17mil is pretty standard nowadays for an interior lineman of Wilks caliber. Unless of course you are judging him by his last season performance, coming off injury, and AFTER he was already signed (moot point) following his best season statistically.   

3 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Yea, the message is - "we've only drafted about 6-7 legitimate NFL players in the past decade, and you are one of them, and we're not afraid to trade you for about 1/5th your value... so there!"

... and if you really piss us off, we just might send you to a SB contender!

Archived