With Pryors release, Jets demise comes into focus

Jetster

54 minutes ago, varjet said:

Idzik and Macc were not hires that looked bad on their face.  They were guys who were moving up the ladder, just like the GMs now of the Bills, Lions, Bears, Colts and Panthers.  The logic that Macc is still learning and needs time is also not bad on its face, but theoretically it would have also applied to Idzik-but the Idzik 12 were too obviously bad for him to survive.

There's a lot of differences between Idzik and Macc.

Idzik was basically Tannenbaum in every way but his approach to free agency. Idzik left Tannenbaum's scouting department entirely or almost entirely intact. He had no clear, long term plan. Both were awful at drafting talent. The big difference between Idzik and Tannenbaum is that Tannenbaum loved to spend and Idzik refused to spend. The team needed somebody willing to bleed out Tannenbaum's excesses but then Idzik completely sh*t the bed turning the team around. Getting rid of expensive players is not a hard job. 

Macc has a plan to build the team for the long term. I'm a believer that Macc was ordered to try a competitive rebuild by woody and that is (1) part of the reason why we could not elicit a better candidate; and (2) why we spent two years living up Fitz. Macc was not done a great job drafting but he hasn't done as poorly as his predecessor, either. He's going to have to get much better at that or no matter the plan, this team will continue to perform poorly. The problem is that even with good drafts it's going to take a few years to take the team from trash to serious competitor and there has to be patience to endure the crash and climb.

56 minutes ago, gEYno said:

So, basically, the reason for optimism re: Macc is that other GMs also make mistakes, and there will be a 2018 NFL Draft and the New York Jets will participate in it?

No, it's that Macc knows you build a team through the draft, which is why he's gonna tank the team every 2-3 years to amass a team filled with high draft pick players.

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Revis was all Woody. No way a novice GM gets clearance to give a guy 18 million other than a QB. Marshall played well in 2015, but hes a bad influence on a losing squad, a lot of Diva vets are. He had to bring Fitz back we've gone over that ad nauseum. Maccs guys, lol. Now that he has some youth sprinkled into the squad lets see how he approaches free agency next year. Even the Vets he inherited like Harris & Mangold were finished. Sorry, I'm giving him another year & so is Woody. You cant keep clearing house & need some stability. I think his job is completely safe & should be.

What on earth are you talking about? I thought you said he had to spend it anyway? Lol.

And BTW Maccagnan did not inherit Harris. Harris was a UFA and instead of starting over with younger talent, Macc handed Harris a shiny new 3-yr contract with $15m guaranteed. Further, while no longer the best center in football, Mangold was certainly not "finished" in 2015 - literally nobody thinks or thought this - nor was there any guaranteed money remaining on his contract either.  

Revis's contract was all on Maccagnan unless you have hard evidence to the contrary. Maccagnan said a year ago Woody had always let him (or him and Bowles) do their own thing without anything like your claim. While it was no secret Woody wished Idzik previously re-signed Revis, even Woody said publicly it was specifically because he was available at $12m on a 1 year deal. He never forced a draft pick or FA or trade on Macc, let alone immediately after hiring him. 

I don't even like Woody, but the only serious leak that any transactions came as commands from up top since Jan 2015 were the recent cutting Harris and/or Decker this past June. That's it, and frankly if that's what happened Woody was right to step in. Only Maccagnan would clean house and tank but still keep those 2 on the roster for the year to piss away yet another $15m for no good reason.

Stability is not needed for the sake of stability. You don't want to keep someone around just to do so if they're not good at their jobs. Especially not when the team is about to end up with high picks in every round, including drafting its next QB, as well as likely inking some $100m+ in guaranteed new contracts to help save his own skin instead of continuing to build slow & steady.

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

Looking back to 2014 & seeing this recent purge of players this offseason it really brings into focus how Macc was left a steaming pile of fetid garbage by the past 2 regimes. I read these boards & I see the frustration of Jet fans with Maccagnon and it brings me back to 2014 when I reported here that my nephew had gotten an internship as trainer with the Jets that summer in Cortland.

I'm not gonna rehash everything, but my nephew has been a Jet fan since my brother & I would bring him, my son, and his older brother to Hofstra to Jets camps for years. He said Amaro didn't even look like a football player & was slow and out of shape (I posted that here), he had a lot to say about Geno (posted that here). The one thing he said to me after that summer was "I don't even LIKE this team", ouch! I was like what happened & he explained to me from Rex down, this team was just a group of punks. He said it was like frat house. The players ruled the asylum & most were not nice people. The head trainers down. He even said Mangold was acting like a jerk which shocked me. He actually said that Mo Wilkerson was by far the nicest player. 

The Jets under Rex Ryan were a rudderless ship after that veteran team dissolved. We had older players who were no longer pro bowlers strutting around like superstars, younger players who had done sh*t & thought they were great, bad attitudes from top to bottom. Then Macc had to use the scouts the Jets had in place for his 2015 draft. I know a lot of you are losing patience with Macc, but damn, there was a lot of stink to be cleared out of this place. Probably one of the worst situations in football really other than the Browns.

My point is this. I f*cking hated the 2016 Jets! I hated them like my nephew hated the 2014 Jets. I had never seen so many quitters, from Revis on down to Fitz and Marshall. If we go 5-11 but I see guys flying around enthusiastically and some of these young guys develop, its all I can ask for. Maccs made some mistakes as have ALL GMs, but hes setting us up for another draft, after taking out the garbage and until he has a QB of the future to run this show it will never be easy, but at least I can hopefully say I like my team & the effort they showed which starts this Sunday. Go Jets.

Agree 100%.

The cuts have ALWAYS been about chemistry. Fitzpatrick was an absolute cancer to this franchise, and his cronies tore this team apart.

However, Bowles was PART of that cancer and still is.

Bowles is the worst coach in the NFL

3 hours ago, Jetster said:

Looking back to 2014 & seeing this recent purge of players this offseason it really brings into focus how Macc was left a steaming pile of fetid garbage by the past 2 regimes. I read these boards & I see the frustration of Jet fans with Maccagnon and it brings me back to 2014 when I reported here that my nephew had gotten an internship as trainer with the Jets that summer in Cortland.

I'm not gonna rehash everything, but my nephew has been a Jet fan since my brother & I would bring him, my son, and his older brother to Hofstra to Jets camps for years. He said Amaro didn't even look like a football player & was slow and out of shape (I posted that here), he had a lot to say about Geno (posted that here). The one thing he said to me after that summer was "I don't even LIKE this team", ouch! I was like what happened & he explained to me from Rex down, this team was just a group of punks. He said it was like frat house. The players ruled the asylum & most were not nice people. The head trainers down. He even said Mangold was acting like a jerk which shocked me. He actually said that Mo Wilkerson was by far the nicest player. 

The Jets under Rex Ryan were a rudderless ship after that veteran team dissolved. We had older players who were no longer pro bowlers strutting around like superstars, younger players who had done sh*t & thought they were great, bad attitudes from top to bottom. Then Macc had to use the scouts the Jets had in place for his 2015 draft. I know a lot of you are losing patience with Macc, but damn, there was a lot of stink to be cleared out of this place. Probably one of the worst situations in football really other than the Browns.

My point is this. I f*cking hated the 2016 Jets! I hated them like my nephew hated the 2014 Jets. I had never seen so many quitters, from Revis on down to Fitz and Marshall. If we go 5-11 but I see guys flying around enthusiastically and some of these young guys develop, its all I can ask for. Maccs made some mistakes as have ALL GMs, but hes setting us up for another draft, after taking out the garbage and until he has a QB of the future to run this show it will never be easy, but at least I can hopefully say I like my team & the effort they showed which starts this Sunday. Go Jets.

Team is ****ed from the very top down.  What a pathetic organization run by a useless pushover and coward.  HOW do you let that culture exist in YOUR building? 

As long as that little coward owns this team there will always be dysfunction and ineptitude thriving there.

4 hours ago, Jetster said:

Revis was all Woody. No way a novice GM gets clearance to give a guy 18 million other than a QB. Marshall played well in 2015, but hes a bad influence on a losing squad, a lot of Diva vets are. He had to bring Fitz back we've gone over that ad nauseum. Maccs guys, lol. Now that he has some youth sprinkled into the squad lets see how he approaches free agency next year. Even the Vets he inherited like Harris & Mangold were finished. Sorry, I'm giving him another year & so is Woody. You cant keep clearing house & need some stability. I think his job is completely safe & should be.

Yup-- and our all knowing press wer all over the signing.  A year later they were a different story, Point is, none of these actors knows their lines

5 hours ago, Jetster said:

Poor Mac.

On 9/2/2017 at 0:21 PM, legler82 said:
That 2015 draft is starting to look Idzik-ish if not already.

Leonard Williams - Stud
Devon Smith - So far an injury bust
Lorenzo Mauldin - On the bubble [of one of the worst rosters in the league]
Bryce Petty - In a rebuild is backing up to a 38 year old journey man QB, who has a 2-20 record in his last 22 starts
Jarvis Harrison - Cut
Deon Simon - Cut

Same old excuses for glaring mistakes by a GM that has no eye for talent unless it is so blatantly obvious Stevie Wonder could see it. Macc is great at doing contracts that favor the team but that's about it. Hopefully by some miracle they don't screw it all up and go after a FA QB who will probably turn out to be the second coming of Neil O'Donnell. I would love it if things turned out right for this team for a change. I really would. I just have NO confidence in Macc's ability to evaluate talent to build a winner. You know optimism is a wonderful thing but when you see the same old bullspit again and again its hard to justify that optimism. We all want the same thing here and the goal is to ultimately build a team that will contend year in and year out eventually winning it all. I just don't see Macc as the guy to do that. He will probably fire Bowles at seasons end and bring in "his guy" but ultimately I am not confident it will make much difference. I hope I'm wrong but have been around too long and seen too much to believe in fairy tales. If walks like a duck,talks like a duck, it's a duck plain and simple. That about sums up Macc for me.

15 hours ago, Jetster said:

thank you for sharing this Jetster as soon as I saw the Jets starting to sign players like Santonio Holmes I knew this team would not recover. Not a healthy situation for any QB no less the young ones. Even though Im not a Bowles fan it must have a huge Impact on him as well maybe he just got a bad deal

20 hours ago, SMC said:

There in lies the rub about defenses like "everyone makes mistakes" or "every QB throws INTs".  Yes, everyone makes mistakes, but the good ones make way more better moves than bad.  That's why they're good.

Macc is on thin ice, but as I mentioned before, every GM should get one chance to blow things up.  This is his chance.  He was patching holes before, now he has to build and he's got one big shot with the 2018 draft and the new franchise QB.

I agree with the commentary.  If he hits a QB next year he probably stays with or without Bowles for the foreseeable future. 

21 hours ago, Jetster said:

Good thread.  Glad others saw the same.  

Archived