Darrelle "first ballot" Revis completely out of the league

Matt39

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

He will sign with the steelers late in the season and be ready for the playoffs.   $6M for sitting home provides no incentive to play during the regular season.   

Exactly.  The guy is not going to play for the same $$ he can get sitting home most of the season.

4 hours ago, Matt39 said:

For as poor as Maccagnan's been, this move seems to go unnoticed. We gave him a ton of money to do nothing and his career is over 2 years in. On another note @T0mShane I'll take a bottle of Red Breast if possible.

The dude was far and away the best player at his position for almost a decade. No way he doesn't go first ballot. You'll be shipping me that tall boy of Schaefer in five years, my dude. 

This is all part of the plan.  Revis has absolutely zero incentive to play for less than $6 million dollars in 2017.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/06/revis-can-reject-offers-for-less-than-6-million-without-consequence/

Take the year off, let the body heal up, collect $6 million from the Jets, and come back for one final contract in 2018.  I'm not sure if he'll be able to pull it off physically, but I wouldn't be shocked if this is how he's playing his cards.

On top of being easily the best player in this horsesh*t franchise's history and easily the best CB in this somehow even more bullsh*t league's history, Revis and his people put on a clinic navigating contract negotiations and FAs. Hopefully more guys start at least be trying to **** these franchises in the skull whenever possible.

I'm looking forward to his HOF induction! 

1 hour ago, DoubleDown said:

This is all part of the plan.  Revis has absolutely zero incentive to play for less than $6 million dollars in 2017.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/06/revis-can-reject-offers-for-less-than-6-million-without-consequence/

Take the year off, let the body heal up, collect $6 million from the Jets, and come back for one final contract in 2018.  I'm not sure if he'll be able to pull it off physically, but I wouldn't be shocked if this is how he's playing his cards.

It's not part of the plan. Nobody wants to sign him. He's washed up. If he wasn't, you don't think there would be a team that would've offered him $10 mil for a 2 year deal with 5mil guaranteed? Revis would take that in a heartbeat. Why? Cuz he would make $1mil in year one from the new team and $9mil in year 2.

If he had anything left in the tank, 2 year 10 mil deal would be a bargain for the new team while he collects an additional $5 mil from the Jets for 2017. If he sucks his first yr, his new team only ends up paying the remainder of the new contract guaranteed portion ($4mil) and then releases him, costing just $5mil total. Revis, meanwhile, makes $10 mil for 2017 as opposed to $6mil. 

The Jets Guaranteed portion isn't what's stopping Revis from playing. It's his body that's given up on him. He's just done. He's 32. 

I dont believe he is washed up and if he wanted it bad enough he could still play.

I think he just got fat, lazy and is no longer motivated to do the work a >30 y/o athlete needs to do in order to compete at the highest level.

It was way easier for him to steal money from Woodrow and then walk away to do whatever else a guy like that does with the rest of his life.

His HOF bust should say Darelle "Slouch" Revis

4 hours ago, SenorGato said:

On top of being easily the best player in this horsesh*t franchise's history and easily the best CB in this somehow even more bullsh*t league's history, Revis and his people put on a clinic navigating contract negotiations and FAs. Hopefully more guys start at least be trying to **** these franchises in the skull whenever possible.

I'm looking forward to his HOF induction! 

Jets fans: "Woody Johnson sucks!"

Also Jets fans: "I hate the one great player this franchise once drafted because he held Woody Johnson up for more money!"

Also, also Jets fans: "We should think about giving Kirk Cousins $200 mil!"

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Also Jets fans: "I hate the one great player this franchise once drafted because he held Woody Johnson up for more money!"

He was great in 2009. 

Revis was actually a 1st round draft pick that wasn't a bust here and had a really good career can't figure out some Jets fans, the NFL is a business its all about $$$$ same as the job you do on a daily basis you are there to make the most money you can.  

He also has a Super Bowl ring something many retired NY Jets can't say they do, I think he did well for himself. 

Darrelle Revis one of the best NY Jets to ever play the game. 

7 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Revis was actually a 1st round draft pick that wasn't a bust here and had a really good career can't figure out some Jets fans, the NFL is a business its all about $$$$ same as the job you do on a daily basis you are there to make the most money you can.  

He also has a Super Bowl ring something many retired NY Jets can't say they do, I think he did well for himself. 

Darrelle Revis one of the best NY Jets to ever play the game. 

Maccagnan signing Revis was a bigger bust than drafting Hackenberg.

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I like a little sarcasm just as much as the next guy but the above bold is something I've got to call you out on.

The cap is NOT Woody's money.  The cap it set in stone by the league.  It has nothing to do with Woody.  It is a franchise front office asset or tool.  Nothing more.  Woody most likely does has a say in which FA's are signed and how much of the cap they receive but that has no direct impact on Woody's net worth.  The cap is the cap, it's franchise money.  You might even say the money belongs more to the fans than it does to Woody.  

So, next time the correct thing to say here is that he held up the franchise=fans for more money.   If Woody ordered the contract then he is a meddler but it didn't cost him a dime.    Revis f*cked the franchise and the fans so f*ck him  

It amazes me the amount of hate some Jets fans have for Revis.  He's the best player this franchise has had since Joe Namath, but people hate him.  

Why?  Because he made sure to make as much money as he could playing a sport that has very negative long term impacts.

And that his skills diminished as he aged?  

God, what a prick.

6 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

It amazes me the amount of hate some Jets fans have for Revis.  He's the best player this franchise has had since Joe Namath, but people hate him.  

Why?  Because he made sure to make as much money as he could playing a sport that has very negative long term impacts.

And that his skills diminished as he aged?  

God, what a prick.

Aged? He's 31. He stopped trying at 29. He's not that old. The first go around, Revis great player, excellent 2009. The last two years were a shame. He didnt try. Considering he's "the best ever" it's a bit bizarre he's totally out of the league without even being given the opportunity to retire.

9 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Aged? He's 31. He stopped trying at 29. He's not that old. The first go around, Revis great player, excellent 2009. The last two years were a shame. He didnt try. Considering he's "the best ever" it's a bit bizarre he's totally out of the league without even being given the opportunity to retire.

He is def easily getting in the HOF  and good for him for maximizing his earnings

Having said that its odd how some fans wont acknowledge and just accept getting ripped off the way Revis ripped them off at the end.

Calling Moss a slouch was his self fulfilling prophecy.

16 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

31 isn't that old for a Corner?  Considering the prime for the position is the Mid 20s and there is clear decline starting at about age 29, I'd say yeah, 31 is old.  

Just now, HawkeyeJet said:

31 isn't that old for a Corner?  Considering the prime for the position is the Mid 20s and there is clear decline starting at about age 29, is say yeah, 31 is old.  

Charles Woodson at 39 was better than Revis at 29. Skills declining at 29 is one thing, out of the league bad is another.

I think he gets in on the first ballot. He had probably the single best season a corner has ever had, at a time when the rules were being rewritten to favor QBs and WRs to an absurd degree. HOF voters are too dumb to know that, much less care, but they know he's a big name who ended up with a ring, so I think he's pretty safe. That said, the guy pretty clearly loafed through a lot of his time here. Good on him for stealing Woody's money, but calling him the best player in franchise history says a lot more about the franchise than it does about Revis.

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

I think he gets in on the first ballot. He had probably the single best season a corner has ever had, at a time when the rules were being rewritten to favor QBs and WRs to an absurd degree. HOF voters are too dumb to know that, much less care, but they know he's a big name who ended up with a ring, so I think he's pretty safe. That said, the guy pretty clearly loafed through a lot of his time here. Good on him for stealing Woody's money, but calling him the best player in franchise history says a lot more about the franchise than it does about Revis.

Pretty much sums it up. 

Archived