Darrelle "first ballot" Revis completely out of the league

Matt39

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I think he gets in on the first ballot. He had probably the single best season a corner has ever had, at a time when the rules were being rewritten to favor QBs and WRs to an absurd degree. HOF voters are too dumb to know that, much less care, but they know he's a big name who ended up with a ring, so I think he's pretty safe. That said, the guy pretty clearly loafed through a lot of his time here. Good on him for stealing Woody's money, but calling him the best player in franchise history says a lot more about the franchise than it does about Revis.

And he'll be inducted in by some mercenary.... perhaps uncle Sean.   I really can't blame him. These owners will fukk these guys at every opportunity.    By all measures, Revis, like Jerry Rice had an off season workouts and training regimen like no other.  He was a great tackler and a nose for the ball.   Coverage aside, he was way above average as a football player as well.  

I personally don't like him....  but doesn't mean he wasn't great. 

I am not even sure that he is a HOF player, much less first ballot guy. He had like 3 dominant years, and was a greedy, royal PITA. Just being the best defensive player in football for a short time does not make him a HOF player. He needs at least some level of longevity as well. And no, he does not compare to Deion in any way

1 hour ago, LIJetsFan said:

I like a little sarcasm just as much as the next guy but the above bold is something I've got to call you out on.

The cap is NOT Woody's money.  The cap it set in stone by the league.  It has nothing to do with Woody.  It is a franchise front office asset or tool.  Nothing more.  Woody most likely does has a say in which FA's are signed and how much of the cap they receive but that has no direct impact on Woody's net worth.  The cap is the cap, it's franchise money.  You might even say the money belongs more to the fans than it does to Woody.  

So, next time the correct thing to say here is that he held up the franchise=fans for more money.   If Woody ordered the contract then he is a meddler but it didn't cost him a dime.    Revis f*cked the franchise and the fans so f*ck him  

I get what you're saying, but I don't blame Revis for ******* the fans. I commend him for aggressively using his leverage to exploit Jets management (and, thus, Woody), who ritually exploits its players.

30 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I am not even sure that he is a HOF player, much less first ballot guy. He had like 3 dominant years, and was a greedy, royal PITA. Just being the best defensive player in football for a short time does not make him a HOF player. He needs at least some level of longevity as well. And no, he does not compare to Deion in any way

Take thirty seconds and imagine exactly how the Jets beat would cover Deion Sanders as a New York Jet.

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I get what you're saying, but I don't blame Revis for ******* the fans. I commend him for aggressively using his leverage to exploit Jets management (and, thus, Woody), who ritually exploits its players.

Woody isn't Jets management.  Woody is the agent who f*cks over Jets management.   The FO is management and ought to be left alone to do as they best see fit to the benefit of the franchise and the fans.  So Revis exploiting the doofus owner hurts the team/franchise/fans.

If you want to stand up for the exploited players then complain to the players union and not to Jets fans.  Revis f*cked us over!       

9 hours ago, dbatesman said:

I think he gets in on the first ballot. He had probably the single best season a corner has ever had, at a time when the rules were being rewritten to favor QBs and WRs to an absurd degree. HOF voters are too dumb to know that, much less care, but they know he's a big name who ended up with a ring, so I think he's pretty safe. That said, the guy pretty clearly loafed through a lot of his time here. Good on him for stealing Woody's money, but calling him the best player in franchise history says a lot more about the franchise than it does about Revis.

Uncke Sean taught Revis to play for nobody but team Revis. He did a great job doing it. He was fun to watch for a few years. 

10 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Is one great season enough though?

CBs is still a numbers game for HOFers and all HOF or soon-to-be HOF DBs have better numbers than him.  Those 4 All-Pro years might do it for him (2009-11, 14), but even the other DBs had DPY awards.

That's the thing and I mentioned it before.  Those same writers who voted for Woodson over Revis in the 2009 DPY award will be having to decide whether Revis will be a HOFer.  How will they judge him compared to other great DBs?

13 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

And he'll be inducted in by some mercenary.... perhaps uncle Sean.   I really can't blame him. These owners will fukk these guys at every opportunity.    By all measures, Revis, like Jerry Rice had an off season workouts and training regimen like no other.  He was a great tackler and a nose for the ball.   Coverage aside, he was way above average as a football player as well.  

I personally don't like him....  but doesn't mean he wasn't great. 

The funny thing is that he took a few years off his own career because he was a willing tackler.  Most CBs did not stick guys like he did.  That cost him later on.

On 9/10/2017 at 10:01 PM, SMC said:

Is one great season enough though?

CBs is still a numbers game for HOFers and all HOF or soon-to-be HOF DBs have better numbers than him.  Those 4 All-Pro years might do it for him (2009-11, 14), but even the other DBs had DPY awards.

That's the thing and I mentioned it before.  Those same writers who voted for Woodson over Revis in the 2009 DPY award will be having to decide whether Revis will be a HOFer.  How will they judge him compared to other great DBs?

Just saw Ronde Barber is eligible this year. 16 year career, played till he was 37- was productive till the end. 45 career interceptions. Barber has more career sacks than Revis has interceptions. Barber probably doesnt go first ballot, but like you said these writers consider the stats.

Revis reminds me a little of Sandy Koufax. He was great and the best at his position for a relatively short period of time. The beginning of the end for him were the injuries. Yeah, I think he should go into the HOF. As for 2017. I imagine he could have gotten employment but for low wages and as a non starter. We all know he loves money over everything. He won't work cheap and his market value is low. 

He's the best football player I've ever seen play. He was literally perfect at everything before the ACL. He's easily in my mind the best corner to play the game, but he was only that for 3 years.

Does that make him HOF? I'd say yes only because compilers like Jerome Bettis get in these days. 

On 9/10/2017 at 10:27 AM, LIJetsFan said:

So, next time the correct thing to say here is that he held up the franchise=fans for more money.   If Woody ordered the contract then he is a meddler but it didn't cost him a dime.    Revis f*cked the franchise and the fans so f*ck him  

No, the Jets ****ed themselves and their fans. They have been doing so for a half century give or take. The only connection fans have to Revis' salary, which like all players is already being negotiated with an artificial and bullsh*t deflater in the salary cap, is their willingness to spend insane amounts of money on the NFL.

The Jets did everything an all defense, not QB team could possibly do these days with Revis, not coincidentally peaking when he did. They had him during his early-mid 20's at below market deals and put together zero average offenses with zero average seasons out of a QB. They let him go still in his 20's to save money for a QB they never found, he goes and leads the only decent Pats defense in a decade to a SB ring. Oh and he generally shut up and stayed out of legal trouble. 

On 9/10/2017 at 10:46 AM, Matt39 said:

Aged? He's 31. He stopped trying at 29. He's not that old. The first go around, Revis great player, excellent 2009. The last two years were a shame. He didnt try. Considering he's "the best ever" it's a bit bizarre he's totally out of the league without even being given the opportunity to retire.

31 is old for a cb.  granted it's more about attitude as opposed to outright physical ability but revis had a pretty long and great career.  unlike corners like deion he actually tackled and was equally good at defending the receiver.  his only hope was to move to safety but then he would have had to tackle even more and it looked like he didn't want that much contact last season. i think jets fans should be very happy that they actually had a player that was arguably the best at his position for about 5 seasons.

on another note, when idzik traded revis there was talk of getting a guy like assoumaga or assante samuel in to replace.  those guys are about revis' age.  where are thay?  i believe they're out of football too.  it's a tough business.

Revis was a very smart CB with a great skill set despite not being very fast.  Now that he is even slower than before, there only so much his smarts can do for him.  He may be service in a zone type team as a back-up but unless he is hard up for money, he doesn't seem like a guy who would let that happen because of his pride.

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

1.  Who said Revis wasn't fast?  He ran in the 4.3s coming out, and some said he has run as fast as 4.28.  He isn't Richard Sherman running 4.6 at the combine. 

2.  Are we going to change all this "out of the league" talk when he is starting somewhere in 2018?

:lol:

2 hours ago, prime21 said:

Revis was a very smart CB with a great skill set despite not being very fast.  Now that he is even slower than before, there only so much his smarts can do for him.  He may be service in a zone type team as a back-up but unless he is hard up for money, he doesn't seem like a guy who would let that happen because of his pride.

Now you are just making things up.

He was fast.

He had pride showing up fat?

Are you sure about that? I ask because a whole bunch of GMs, scouts, position coaches and stop watches said he was very fast at the 2007 combine.

Because they have never been wrong with their evaluations. You m not at a computer to compare results but I do know the references as a pro were that he is not fast, he was smart and quick and his techniques were in point. Cromartie was the opposite. Fast but not quick. Big difference.

Combine vs actual play can also be way off

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

6 minutes ago, prime21 said:

That's a good mark at the combine.  On the field, he was quick not fast.

Chrebet was quick not fast. Revis was quick and fast.

In his prime, he was as fast as a CB needed to be, with a little room to spare.

He is the exact opposite of someone who played slower than his timed speed.

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Yet he's out of football.

Yep, this year for the small fee of $6 million dollars. Even if it's actually because he sucks rather than he doesn't feel like it because he's making $6 million anyway, still something only a GOAT type talent can even hope to pull off. 

This also doesn't take away that he was very good in 2015. 

Archived