Darrelle "first ballot" Revis completely out of the league

Matt39

14 hours ago, SenorGato said:

And those pre-FA years teams are paying a penny on the dollar for stars (in this case an all time great NFL player)? Why does it only ever work one way where the player "owes" the fans and ownership for surviving in this disgusting steaming cesspool of a sport and league long enough to make a little money in FA? 

If you work for a paycheck please let me know when your employer, company owner, immediate supervisor, co-workers etc still "like" you when you fail to deliver what you are paid for and in the process make every one else's job harder and let down those that placed faith in you. 

Pre-FA has nothing to do with Revis sitting on his fat ass getting paid for nothing right now today.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, SenorGato said:

And those pre-FA years teams are paying a penny on the dollar for stars (in this case an all time great NFL player)? Why does it only ever work one way where the player "owes" the fans and ownership for surviving in this disgusting steaming cesspool of a sport and league long enough to make a little money in FA? 

I dont care about the money. He got his money, awesome. He screwed Woody, good for him. It's just pretty astonishing how he fell off from the best to the worst to completely out of the league at 31. Most of the HOF DB's all played well into their mid 30's. 

9 hours ago, Matt39 said:

I dont care about the money. He got his money, awesome. He screwed Woody, good for him. It's just pretty astonishing how he fell off from the best to the worst to completely out of the league at 31. Most of the HOF DB's all played well into their mid 30's. 

You buy that this is exactly the story? There's a $6 million+ dollar detail you're missing. If Revis is done with the NFL it's a choice, he could officially retire this minute and cruise into the HOF, and not because he can't play football. He's not he first HOF player to have an off year and you kind of earn the benefit of the doubt on talent when you've been the best by miles and miles for a decade. 

6 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

You buy that this is exactly the story? There's a $6 million+ dollar detail you're missing. If Revis is done with the NFL it's a choice, he could officially retire this minute and cruise into the HOF, and not because he can't play football. 

He's done because he was the worst DB in the league last year. Did you watch the Jets at all? It was a complete non competitive effort. And the HOF will be a tall order at this point, he's the Terrell Davis of DB's. He'll get in, but it will take a while. Pull up the Revis highlight package, he made plays in the Bengals and Chargers playoff games and that's about it. Didnt play specials, didnt intercept the ball, and didnt score touchdowns. He shut down Ochocinco in 2009? Hat's off.

10 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

If you work for a paycheck please let me know when your employer, company owner, immediate supervisor, co-workers etc still "like" you when you fail to deliver what you are paid for and in the process make every one else's job harder and let down those that placed faith in you. 

Pre-FA has nothing to do with Revis sitting on his fat ass getting paid for nothing right now today.

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

He's done because he was the worst DB in the league last year. Did you watch the Jets at all? It was a complete non competitive effort. And the HOF will be a tall order at this point, he's the Terrell Davis of DB's. He'll get in, but it will take a while. Pull up the Revis highlight package, he made plays in the Bengals and Chargers playoff games and that's about it. Didnt play specials, didnt intercept the ball, and didnt score touchdowns. He shut down Ochocinco in 2009? Hat's off.

Literally the first sentence in the post is a sensationalist non-fact so I couldn't get past it after wading through Kleckineaus thing about us the fans being Revis' boss or something? I don't even know, feel like I entered the Twilight Zone reading these. 

Pre-edit edit:

When scrolling up for some reason I caught the line about him taking a while to get into the HOF. This is possible solely because people are idiots and this happens in every major sport. On the actual field over the decade+ he's already played (not counting whatever he does after he collects $6 million to chill this year) he's a no contest first ballot HOF. He's the single best player at his position in league history for days, just as the position jumped right behind QB and pass rushers in average salary. It really just takes something I hope I never have to watch that guy dominate the league for this just absolutely garbage sh*tbag franchise (and sport) for a decade and then choose to toss him into this sh*tty Jets vortex where everything is sh*t and nothing matters because there's just this miserable existence solely because he got paid and wasn't elite once. 

39 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Literally the first sentence in the post is a sensationalist non-fact so I couldn't get past it after wading through Kleckineaus thing about us the fans being Revis' boss or something? I don't even know, feel like I entered the Twilight Zone reading these. 

Pre-edit edit:

When scrolling up for some reason I caught the line about him taking a while to get into the HOF. This is possible solely because people are idiots and this happens in every major sport. On the actual field over the decade+ he's already played (not counting whatever he does after he collects $6 million to chill this year) he's a no contest first ballot HOF. He's the single best player at his position in league history for days, just as the position jumped right behind QB and pass rushers in average salary. It really just takes something I hope I never have to watch that guy dominate the league for this just absolutely garbage sh*tbag franchise (and sport) for a decade and then choose to toss him into this sh*tty Jets vortex where everything is sh*t and nothing matters because there's just this miserable existence solely because he got paid and wasn't elite once. 

Willful misinterpretation just never works,

On 9/10/2017 at 10:59 AM, Kleckineau said:

He is def easily getting in the HOF  and good for him for maximizing his earnings

Having said that its odd how some fans wont acknowledge and just accept getting ripped off the way Revis ripped them off at the end.

Calling Moss a slouch was his self fulfilling prophecy.

TO played till he was 90 and revis called him a slouch. He had a nice game against Vincent Jackson in 2009. Best ever.

2 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Pre-edit edit:

Charles Woodson played till he couldn't anymore, had 65 career interceptions and 11 touchdowns. He's not even remotely the best ever and his impact vs Revis isn't even remotely comparable. Revis had a good season and played well against Steve Smith in 2009, another guy who played till the wheels came off and was burning Revis when he was 30 and in his prime. Smith was like 35. Revis giving up and getting paid isn't an accomplishment. 

9 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Charles Woodson played till he couldn't anymore, had 65 career interceptions and 11 touchdowns. He's not even remotely the best ever and his impact vs Revis isn't even remotely comparable. Revis had a good season and played well against Steve Smith in 2009, another guy who played till the wheels came off and was burning Revis when he was 30 and in his prime. Smith was like 35. Revis giving up and getting paid isn't an accomplishment. 

Charles Woodson couldn't hold Revis' jock as a CB, you're correct that he's not even kinda sorta a little bit in that convo for best ever (which Revis wins) and your swiss cheese narratives meant to belittle his career because you resent the money suck. In a league that cuts pretty much anyone at anytime with minor at best consequence, getting paid $6 million to take a year off and go get some stem cell treatments or whatever is a massive accomplishment - as was his decade of dominance at a time when the sport became passing and defending against the pass - all for a team that couldn't even kinda sorta do the former. It's not even a contest - Revis dominated as a DB when teams threw the ball more than ever and more efficiently than ever, there's more good and great QBs r in the league at one time than ever (again, no contest). He and Woodson are barely playing the same sport, throw Revis in a league with fewer even competent QBs, happy to eke over 50% completion rates, like Woodson and you'd get the YouTube highlights you require. 

As far as Smith - just going by how you run your Revis narratives - I assume he made a catch against Revis once, it made a replay or highlight therefore making it #impactful, and here we are? Maybe it was one of the maybe handful TDs Revis gave up during the decade? Good for Smith, quite an accomplishment to get one on the GOAT. 

1 hour ago, SenorGato said:

Charles Woodson couldn't hold Revis' jock as a CB, you're correct that he's not even kinda sorta a little bit in that convo for best ever (which Revis wins) and your swiss cheese narratives meant to belittle his career because you resent the money suck. In a league that cuts pretty much anyone at anytime with minor at best consequence, getting paid $6 million to take a year off and go get some stem cell treatments or whatever is a massive accomplishment - as was his decade of dominance at a time when the sport became passing and defending against the pass - all for a team that couldn't even kinda sorta do the former. It's not even a contest - Revis dominated as a DB when teams threw the ball more than ever and more efficiently than ever, there's more good and great QBs r in the league at one time than ever (again, no contest). He and Woodson are barely playing the same sport, throw Revis in a league with fewer even competent QBs, happy to eke over 50% completion rates, like Woodson and you'd get the YouTube highlights you require. 

As far as Smith - just going by how you run your Revis narratives - I assume he made a catch against Revis once, it made a replay or highlight therefore making it #impactful, and here we are? Maybe it was one of the maybe handful TDs Revis gave up during the decade? Good for Smith, quite an accomplishment to get one on the GOAT. 

He dominated in 2009.

11 hours ago, Matt39 said:

He dominated in 2009.

The single fact you've offered in this convo, and hot damn did he just utterly dominate the competition that year. He dominated 9 other years too, but dude was on a whole different level from anyone who has ever played any DB position in 2009 (and 2010, they're basically the '99-'00 Pedro Martinez seasons of any DB position - no ones coming near that for a while if ever). 

On 9/14/2017 at 3:38 PM, T0mShane said:

Does anyone remember that game vs the Pats where Revis chased a dude down from across the field and they timed it at 4.0/40? 

It was Welker. Don't know the timing of it, but it was impressive. Then at some point Revis got toasted by Moss and came up clutching his hammy making people think.. he slow.

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 3:27 PM, Kleckineau said:

You are confusing 2 different issues.

Its one thing wanting to get paid the most you can for what you do for a living.

I dont know anyone working for a check who would argue with that.

It's a whole different thing, wanting to get paid then getting paid and then not delivering to the payee what you got paid for.

so b/c for ONE year in his entire career he didn't live up to his paycheck that means he was overrated or that we should bash him all the time?

13 hours ago, nyjunc said:

so b/c for ONE year in his entire career he didn't live up to his paycheck that means he was overrated or that we should bash him all the time?

you realize the plan was for him to still be playing right? Kept my eyes open watching NFL football yesterday, there are a bunch of CB's still playing at a high level into their 30's. But hey, at least he stole Woody's money. We should be happy about that.

13 hours ago, Matt39 said:

you realize the plan was for him to still be playing right? Kept my eyes open watching NFL football yesterday, there are a bunch of CB's still playing at a high level into their 30's. But hey, at least he stole Woody's money. We should be happy about that.

yes stole woody's money by becoming the greatest player in  franchise history but Jet fans will applaud Brett favre.

Archived