AFJF

Hack beats out Petty for back up job

Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
46 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I'll take Bowles at his word on this one.  Petty has been practicing at 100% and his health would not be an issue in determining the depth chart. His words.

If this is remotely true than why not trade Petty ??

Making Petty 3rd on the depth chart hindering his further development, for what?

Trade him for picks you think that can play. What are we attempting to do?

7 minutes ago, Larz said:

It means they value petty, and this crap about holding him back is just dumb

So they never gave him a rep with the starters because they felt they saw enough from his starts last season to evaluate him now.  And when he excels with the minimal opportunities they did give him, they bench him in favor of Hack, who was clearly inferior this preseason.  They tell us his knee was good enough that he could have played last week vs. Philly but now the magic bunnies have kicked him in his tender spots and he's no longer capable of playing which is why he is inactive.  You seem to really want this to all make sense but their treatment of Petty this preseason has not shown even the slightest hint of 'they value him'.  It looks more like they truly believe their jobs depend on Hack working out as a viable starter and they are willing to fire up the reality distortion field in order to sell it.

Yeah, this could all change next week and honestly, I'll be fine with it if that's how it plays out, but for now, based on what I can see and read, they are all in on Hack over Petty no matter what happens on the field.

38 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I get that Bowles feels he has no responsibility to communicate with or win over the fans in any way.  But you would think ownership would recognize that alienating a large part of the fanbase isn't really good business.  I would go to a game or two this season (as I usually do) if Petty were starting.  But Hack backing up McCown is a non-starter for me.   Just my opinion but I suspect I'm far from alone in this.  And because there is no rational basis for Hack in and Petty out, it looks like a team that is completely out of touch with reality as I perceive it.  Again, they don't 'owe' me anything but I also don't 'owe' them my usual attendance.  I'm just can't get emotionally invested this year and that makes me incredibly sad.

I have already sat my sons down (they are 8 and 5 years old) and told them in no uncertain terms that the Jets suck and are not worth the time or effort. My son Sean (5 years old) likes the "Red teams" and Connor thinks football is boring because "all it is is commercials". 

Im very proud of both of them for breaking the cycle of disappointment.

38 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I had such high hopes for this regime. I really did. Now the only thing we can do is hope that Hackenberg gets in, throws six picks, Piers Morgan humiliates Woody Johnson on British television, and John Morton is the interim head coach before November rolls around.

What an embarrassing display of cowardice. 

Shameful.

8 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Do you really believe tanking it is a plus for the org. I thought you were supposed to teach your players to win games. And bring in a culture of winning. Also are you 100% sure that getting a very high pick and selecting one of the top rated Qbs means we will win in the future. Last year the best Qb in the draft was the 4th rounder not the overall one. You have to be good and lucky in drafting. Every team in the NFL passed on Prescott including Dallas several times. Look if you tank it what does it say to the other 52 players on the roster. It's not just a Qb it's an entire roster. You can win with a game manager. 

Fair point.  I'm conflicted.  But when I watch Darnold and Rosen right now, I get that same fluttery feeling in my gut thinking about them in a Jets uniform that I got watching Margot Robbie in Wolf on Wall Street.  Yeah, I completely know how that sounds and if that makes me wrong, I don't want to be right!

Just to be clear, if Petty (or even Hack) were starting, I could be all in rooting for success because maybe they could be our guy for the next 10 years.  But rooting for a 38-year old perennial JAG to win a few more games (but fall short of the playoffs) doesn't make for an exciting season for me.

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

Fair point.  I'm conflicted.  But when I watch Darnold and Rosen right now, I get that same fluttery feeling in my gut thinking about them in a Jets uniform that I got watching Margot Robbie in Wolf on Wall Street.  Yeah, I completely know how that sounds and if that makes me wrong, I don't want to be right!

Darnold and Rosen neither has that many starts. It was the same thing with Mark Sanchez. Both will probably be good NFL Qbs but they said the same thing about the Cal kid the Rams drafted last season and he wasn't that good. He will probably end up being decent. You don't tank your season for that kind of uncertainty. Esp when nine wins can sometimes get you into the playoffs. And if you get in with the 9 you can win a SB. It's been done before. As for me the Jets are my no. 1 source of entertainment during the football season. I want a win!

20 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Do you really believe tanking it is a plus for the org. I thought you were supposed to teach your players to win games. And bring in a culture of winning. Also are you 100% sure that getting a very high pick and selecting one of the top rated Qbs means we will win in the future. Last year the best Qb in the draft was the 4th rounder not the overall one. You have to be good and lucky in drafting. Every team in the NFL passed on Prescott including Dallas several times. Look if you tank it what does it say to the other 52 players on the roster. It's not just a Qb it's an entire roster. You can win with a game manager. 

You can't judge a player's success with one team and apply it to your own team. Prescott's magical year in Dallas guaranteed nothing in Todd Bowles' Florham Park.

11 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

If this is remotely true than why not trade Petty ??

Making Petty 3rd on the depth chart hindering his further development, for what?

Trade him for picks you think that can play. What are we attempting to do?

Yup.  Should've traded him when teams called about him this off-season and drafted Peterman.

The last thing a young progressing QB needs is to be a Jet.  Do him a favor and put him in capable hands elsewhere.

Edited by AFJF

7 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I have already sat my sons down (they are 8 and 5 years old) and told them in no uncertain terms that the Jets suck and are not worth the time or effort. My son Sean (5 years old) likes the "Red teams" and Connor thinks football is boring because "all it is is commercials". 

Im very proud of both of them for breaking the cycle of disappointment.

LOL.  This reminds me of the wonderful nickname Browns fans gave their stadium...Factory of Sadness.  I think my son and daughter (teenagers) are casual enough not to be upset about any given game or season, but still close enough in orbit for me to pull them back in if things turn around.  It's dancing on the knife's edge but so far, so good.

Just now, jetrider said:

You can't judge a player's success with one team and apply it to your own team. Prescott's magical year in Dallas guarantees nothing in Todd Bowles' Florham Park.

How can you judge a Qb then if not by his success or lack of success. If the draft were today Prescott would be the Qb drafted. And like you say it's not a 100% deal. 

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

Darnold and Rosen neither has that many starts. It was the same thing with Mark Sanchez. Both will probably be good NFL Qbs but they said the same thing about the Cal kid the Rams drafted last season and he wasn't that good. He will probably end up being decent. You don't tank your season for that kind of uncertainty. Esp when nine wins can sometimes get you into the playoffs. And if you get in with the 9 you can win a SB. It's been done before. As for me the Jets are my no. 1 source of entertainment during the football season. I want a win!

Dude, I completely respect your position.  And every year until now that's been me.  For me, personally, this season was a Bridge Too Far.  Having said that, seeing you talk about sneaking into the playoffs at 9-7 and winning a SB with this team makes me admire how early you must have started your pre-gaming :)

Just now, nycdan said:

Dude, I completely respect your position.  And every year until now that's been me.  For me, personally, this season was a Bridge Too Far.  Having said that, seeing you talk about sneaking into the playoffs at 9-7 and winning a SB with this team makes me admire how early you must have started your pre-gaming :)

Look every year there are surprise teams. I didn't like what the Jets did in the off season. Except signing McCown who again I think is better than fans think. But we'll see. If injured today Hack plays. And except for a few very good series during preseason he showed he's not ready to consistently lead the team. Too many 3 and outs and that loses games. 

Just now, Rangers9 said:

How can you judge a Qb then if not by his success or lack of success. If the draft were today Prescott would be the Qb drafted. And like you say it's not a 100% deal. 

Because you're judging him after another team already developed him. You missed the point.

3 minutes ago, thshadow said:

I'll note that their 2 best QBs are inactive today - Petty and Kerley

The tank is on!!!!

Bilal Powell is a better QB than Kerley lol.

Just now, jetrider said:

Because you're judging him after another team already developed him. You missed the point.

IMO most good Qbs will play well with most teams. And if a franchise Qb the OC will adapt to that Qb in terms of the offense. So I think Prescott would do well with most teams. But he's not 100% proven yet. I also don't think our coaching staff is as incompetent as some people say it is. With good players they can win. 

This is a non event.....as soon as I heard it I thought maybe Petty isnt 100% and we ARE going to need him before the year is out. No need to risk further injury in week 1, the other guys just need to handle it. 

As far as telling the press Petty was 100% and could play or be the backup, that's just gamesmanship...no different than any other coach. A lot of people here are just jaded or biased so EVERYTHING Bowles does is the poison fruit.....I can get on him for the things he does wrong but sometimes the stuff people grip about on here is just ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, jetspenguin said:

This is a non event.....as soon as I heard it I thought maybe Petty isnt 100% and we ARE going to need him before the year is out. No need to risk further injury in week 1, the other guys just need to handle it. 

As far as telling the press Petty was 100% and could play or be the backup, that's just gamesmanship...no different than any other coach. A lot of people here are just jaded or biased so EVERYTHING Bowles does is the poison fruit.....I can get on him for the things he does wrong but sometimes the stuff people grip about on here is just ridiculous. 

The faux outrage on here is awful. It also makes some people, who probably DO know the game, look ignorant. 

1 hour ago, Jet9 said:

The faux outrage on here is awful. It also makes some people, who probably DO know the game, look ignorant. 

It's not outrage at all. It's disgust. If our coach can't make logical decisions based on obvious observations then we have no chance of improving. 

Kneeling with 30 seconds left in the half. Going for 2 with 5 min left in the 3rd, and punting with 4 min left down by 9 are all Todd Bowles M.O. All of these things show a weak spine and low confidence. 

So now we have another year of him then 3 more years to rebuild with a new staff. Bad players are one thing and can be remedied or at least there's hope that young guys can turn it around.

You can't fix stupid coaches. 

Bowles was asked if Petty's injury was a factor in his decision to name Hack the no. 2.  His reply was, "Bryce had a full week of practice".  So again, Bowles says Petty was healthy.

4 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

It's not outrage at all. It's disgust. If our coach can't make logical decisions based on obvious observations then we have no chance of improving. 

Kneeling with 30 seconds left in the half. Going for 2 with 5 min left in the 3rd, and punting with 4 min left down by 9 are all Todd Bowles M.O. All of these things show a weak spine and low confidence. 

So now we have another year of him then 3 more years to rebuild with a new staff. Bad players are one thing and can be remedied or at least there's hope that young guys can turn it around.

You can't fix stupid coaches. 

I will never defend Bowles as an in-game manager. He's brutal. But what I was referring to was the people freaking out because Petty is getting another week for his knee. And then to bring up Bowles comments from this week saying he's healthy as some basis for the outrage. You'd think these people never heard of Bill Belichik, who is sort of revered on here by some, and who is also a notorious liar on injury reports. 

The foot stomping over a GREAT Sheldon trade. The temper tantrums over signing Kerley. This thread. And all of this is just from Week 1. 

5 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

I will never defend Bowles as an in-game manager. He's brutal. But what I was referring to was the people freaking out because Petty is getting another week for his knee. And then to bring up Bowles comments from this week saying he's healthy as some basis for the outrage. You'd think these people never heard of Bill Belichik, who is sort of revered on here by some, and who is also a notorious liar on injury reports. 

The foot stomping over a GREAT Sheldon trade. The temper tantrums over signing Kerley. This thread. And all of this is just from Week 1. 

These are people looking for any small bit of hope to cling on to and Bowles takes that away from them.

Since you mentioned Kerley, it would seem that Bowles really does hate him. Let's sign him so we can make sure he doesn't get to play anywhere. 

21 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

These are people looking for any small bit of hope to cling on to and Bowles takes that away from them.

Since you mentioned Kerley, it would seem that Bowles really does hate him. Let's sign him so we can make sure he doesn't get to play anywhere. 

He probably hasnt had time to learn the playbook would be my guess.