The Jets need to release Mclendon and resign Simon

Tinstar

McLendon is the same exact type of player as Williams, Wilk and Richardson . He's a DT who's best going after the QB and a poor replacement for Harrison . Pennell is a solid backup, but I don't think he has the stamina to be a full time NT . It was evident today how important a true NT is to a front 7.  The other thing that has to happen is this team needs to get Freddie Bishop back who's clearly better at setting the edge than Josh Martin . 

I wouldn't say he's garbage, he's just not a NT .  The Bills doubled Williams and Wilkerson and ran inside of them all day . The QB got outside at will because neither of our OLBers played their responsibility. When playing a mobile QB, an OLBer cannot crash down inside on every run play. You may not  make many plays, but you have to stay wide and protect the edge . 

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The entire defense sucked but McClendon was bad and fans on this board bashed Revis? 

As painful as it will be, I'm going to rewatch the game because I didn't see McClendon awfulness was that glaring.  The Jets rotated a lot of d-linemen; I don't see how one can be singled out but I'll see.

3 minutes ago, legler82 said:

As painful as it will be, I'm going to rewatch the game because I didn't see McClendon awfulness was that glaring.  The Jets rotated a lot of d-linemen; I don't see how one can be singled out but I'll see.

He had many chances to stop the run and he whiffed on tackles. 

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

He had many chances to stop the run and he whiffed on tackles. 

Like I said I would, I just rewatched all the defensive snaps on NFL Gamepass to see if I missed something or was losing my mind.  I feel vindicated; this is NOT true.  McClendon did not whip on tackles.  First of all he didn't play that many snaps and second he actually had a pretty good game; maybe the best out of the interior d-linemen.  He had 4 tackles which was tied for second with Leo for the most tackles by an interior d-lineman.  He wasn't making those downfield.  The guys that stunk it up was the fake Richardson #91, have no idea who this guy is but he sucks, Mo and Lee.  I have no problems with cutting McClendon just for the simple fact we are going with a youth movement.  In fact, I thought he should have been cut during the offseason with the rest of the overpriced old heads.  However citing this game as the reason is misguided.  Maybe you guys are confusing #91 with McClendon.

I get it; we were just gashed by the Bills to the tune of +/- 200 yards and the immediate reaction is to blame the starting NT but it's not that simple.

3 hours ago, Tinstar said:

McLendon is the same exact type of player as Williams, Wilk and Richardson . He's a DT who's best going after the QB and a poor replacement for Harrison . Pennell is a solid backup, but I don't think he has the stamina to be a full time NT . It was evident today how important a true NT is to a front 7.  The other thing that has to happen is this team needs to get Freddie Bishop back who's clearly better at setting the edge than Josh Martin . 

Josh Martin was one of the only pleasant surprises today. Him and Ealy are keepers.

12 hours ago, HessStation said:

Josh Martin was one of the only pleasant surprises today. Him and Ealy are keepers.

Just because a player gets a sack or provides pressure doesn't mean he's doing a good job . Taylor got outside of him numerous times and truth be told, he's nothing more than a designated pass rusher and a decent one at best .  Him and Ealy hit the QB so today they're keepers . The Jets couldn't  stop the run, but that doesn't matter because 2 guys hit the QB . The Bills double teamed Williams and Wilkerson , and ran on our NTs who couldn't handle single blocking. When the bills chose to run outside, they sucked the outside linebackers in every single time and got the corner easily .

Rushing the QB is a great asset, but it's only good if you do what's important on the early downs. The Jets lost that game because they couldn't stop the run, but more importantly, because they constantly allowed Tyrod Taylor to get outside and either run for 1st downs or extend the play and find a receiver  .  Today, because 2 guys hit the QB, they're keepers. 

1 minute ago, Tinstar said:

Just because a player gets a sack or provides pressure doesn't mean he's doing a good job . Taylor got outside of him numerous times and truth be told, he's nothing more than a designated pass rusher and a decent one at best .  Him and Ealy hit the QB so today they're keepers . The Jets couldn't  stop the run, but that doesn't matter because 2 guys hit the QB . The Bills double teamed Williams and Wilkerson , and ran on our NTs who couldn't handle single blocking. When the bills chose to run outside, they sucked the outside linebackers in every single time and got the corner easily .

Rushing the QB is a great asset, but it's only good if you do what's important on the early downs. The Jets lost that game because they couldn't stop the run, but more importantly, because they constantly allowed Tyrod Taylor to get outside and either run for 1st downs or extend the play and find a receiver  .  Today, because 2 guys hit the QB, they're keepers. 

Yeah, they both outplayed Jordan Jenkins. Neither were perfect but for an UDFA and a guy signed 3 days ago both played well.  Both got a nice pop off the line and played hard. Williams and Wilkerson weren't doubled all game and the ILBs and NTs stunk. 

13 hours ago, legler82 said:

Like I said I would, I just rewatched all the defensive snaps on NFL Gamepass to see if I missed something or was losing my mind.  I feel vindicated; this is NOT true.  McClendon did not whip on tackles.  First of all he didn't play that many snaps and second he actually had a pretty good game; maybe the best out of the interior d-linemen.  He had 4 tackles which was tied for second with Leo for the most tackles by an interior d-lineman.  He wasn't making those downfield.  The guys that stunk it up was the fake Richardson #91, have no idea who this guy is but he sucks, Mo and Lee.  I have no problems with cutting McClendon just for the simple fact we are going with a youth movement.  In fact, I thought he should have been cut during the offseason with the rest of the overpriced old heads.  However citing this game as the reason is misguided.  Maybe you guys are confusing #91 with McClendon.

I get it; we were just gashed by the Bills to the tune of +/- 200 yards and the immediate reaction is to blame the starting NT but it's not that simple.

Rewatch it again. Claude Pelón (91) was bad in the first half and barely saw the field in the second half. McClendon was gashed on running plays, easily moved backwards and out of the play allowing them to seal off Williams with a double team. 

Jordan Jenkins had a good game against the run and had minimal yardage gained to his side. They targeted Martin on run plays.

3 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Rewatch it again. Claude Pelón (91) was bad in the first half and barely saw the field in the second half. McClendon was gashed on running plays, easily moved backwards and out of the play allowing them to seal off Williams with a double team. 

Jordan Jenkins had a good game against the run and had minimal yardage gained to his side. They targeted Martin on run plays.

The Bills used Martin's aggressiveness against him and it worked . They played games with our rookie safeties and it worked . They molested our NTs and it worked .  I can forgive the inside runs, but allowing the QB to get outside when you know that's his game is unforgivable . It shows a lack of understanding of the opponent .  Ealy and Martin are game specific players and this team needs a true NT . Both guys are nothing more than DPRs . 

20 hours ago, Tinstar said:

throw in wilk at the same time.  wilk is not being paid to be a non factor.

McClendon is fine.  Pelon had a great camp but not sure he did a good job yesterday.

Worst part of the defense was that when a back got past the D-line, there was nobody there to meet them.  Too easy getting beyond the second level.

Just now, AFJF said:

McClendon is fine.  Pelon had a great camp but not sure he did a good job yesterday.

Worst part of the defense was that when a back got past the D-line, there was nobody there to meet them.  Too easy getting beyond the second level.

I can't pinpoint every play live but on replays it was Lee multiple times.

Davis didn't look great but people are being a little too hard on him for that long pass play when he lost the TE, Taylor escaped the pocket and the TE was on his second move in the middle of the field. 

2 hours ago, Jetmech said:

Amazing how overrated the DL is.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

It's tough to truly judge the D line vs the Bills for two reasons:

1- Tyrod Taylor is very elusive. He can make most DL look silly on pressure from up the middle

2- Shady Mccoy is the same. He is probably the most elusive back in the league (not the best, just most elusive). 

They will get a much more standard matchup this coming week against Carr (typical pocket passer) and Lynch (hard nosed runner). If they get zero pressure and let Lynch gash them, THEN I will be worried. 

It's tough to truly judge the D line vs the Bills for two reasons:
1- Tyrod Taylor is very elusive. He can make most DL look silly on pressure from up the middle
2- Shady Mccoy is the same. He is probably the most elusive back in the league (not the best, just most elusive). 
They will get a much more standard matchup this coming week against Carr (typical pocket passer) and Lynch (hard nosed runner). If they get zero pressure and let Lynch gash them, THEN I will be worried. 
I guess just two years of regressed play from the DL. Was snacks that good?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Rewatch it again. Claude Pelón (91) was bad in the first half and barely saw the field in the second half. McClendon was gashed on running plays, easily moved backwards and out of the play allowing them to seal off Williams with a double team

I'd love to see some gifs of this or cite specific play examples that we can go back look.  Aside from couple of plays in the first quarter I didn't see him routinely "easily moved backwards" as you stated.  While McClendon is not the stoutest NT at the POA (he would much prefer to shoot the gap, which Bowles defense allows for at times), he certainly was not the main culprit for yesterday's poor run defense.  The goats yesterday were our ILBs.  They kept chasing the ball ending up overpursuing and getting caught in the clutter once  McCoy would cut back.  Bills ran stretch plays that at first would appear to be going off tackle based on the o-linemen keys which McCoy would cut back between DE and the NT where the ILB is supposed to be.  In a lot of the big plays Lee would be Davis' fit or visa versa.  There was no trust between those 2.  Same thing happened a couple times in nickel between Davis and Adams.

Williams was double teamed mostly on passing downs where we went with a 4 down linemen look, and Mo could not take advantage.  Again I don't care if McClendon is cut or not; I'd actually prefer it so a younger player can get a chance but this we got gashed because of McClendon narrative is false.  He, Pennel and Williams all played well from what I saw.  Yesterday's high school football rushing defense performance lay at the feet of that Pelon character (who did see time in the 2nd half), Mo and more importantly our ILBs.

4 hours ago, Tinstar said:

The Bills used Martin's aggressiveness against him and it worked . They played games with our rookie safeties and it worked . They molested our NTs and it worked .  I can forgive the inside runs, but allowing the QB to get outside when you know that's his game is unforgivable . It shows a lack of understanding of the opponent .  Ealy and Martin are game specific players and this team needs a true NT . Both guys are nothing more than DPRs . 

You're being way too hard on both players, Taylor is probably the most elusive Qb in the NFL. He can give all pro players fits. They both did a good job coming off the edge.

Mcclendon isn't as good as Snacks and he doesn't make as much money as he does now. But he's a reliable professional and not the problem on defense. Sure when he matches up with McCoy he gets the short end of that every time but he did have 4 tackles yesterday and one solo. 

Archived