Who can this team even get to be HC next year?

LionelRichie

There are literally no blue chip prospects on this roster and there is a perpetually dysfunctional reporting relationship where HC and GM both report to the owner.   I can see the failed retreads lining up but I don't see a premiere candidate taking over this dumpster fire when other, better positions will be available.  

Harbaugh is pipe dream, Gruden is a broadcaster - although his brother may be available.  Not sure there will be many options who would want this gig.    

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

No real HC is coming here if Macagnan is still the GM.  IF Mac somehow survives this sh_thole he created this year he'll hire some garbage assistant or promote Morton.

...or Bowles will return.

If Maccagnan does have immunity, at least for 1 more season, then they may as well bring back Bowles as well. I don't want to see Maccagnan given 2-3 more years of mulligans and a de facto extension in an effort to not saddle his replacement with an incumbent HC that Macc hired. 

They should both get dumped at the end of the season. Sooner, if possible. But if one is retained, then bring them both back so one doesn't get an additional, undeserved free ride with the other's replacement.

I personally like the idea of promoting Morton mid-season and seeing what he could do, ala the Dirk Koetter situation in Tampa a few years back, but I don't know if our GM has the balls to do it.

If not, it's really outside the box, but how does everyone feel about trying to nab Sean Payton? Keeps Morton, presumably, and I personally like the guy. 

9 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Only way Gruden comes here is if he also gets to be GM or at least pick his own GM

How about John as HC and Jay Gruden as OC (assuming he's fired in Washington)?   I would take that with the #1 pick.   

FWIW - I would take a run at Saban and offer the Saints a 2nd rd pick for Payton who may be about done in NO.   

1 hour ago, LionelRichie said:

There are literally no blue chip prospects on this roster and there is a perpetually dysfunctional reporting relationship where HC and GM both report to the owner.   I can see the failed retreads lining up but I don't see a premiere candidate taking over this dumpster fire when other, better positions will be available.  

Harbaugh is pipe dream, Gruden is a broadcaster - although his brother may be available.  Not sure there will be many options who would want this gig.    

IF the Jets have a choice between Darnold, and Rosen there will be a few holy sh*t guys coming out of the woodwork throwing their name in the hat trust me.

1 minute ago, Lupz27 said:

IF the Jets have a choice between Darnold, and Rosen there will be a few holy sh*t guys coming out of the woodwork throwing their name in the hat trust me.

That implies the HC would have control of the draft....which is not how the NY Jets have historically been run.    It would also mean that Macc was mercifully put out to pasture.  

4 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I personally like the idea of promoting Morton mid-season and seeing what he could do, ala the Dirk Koetter situation in Tampa a few years back, but I don't know if our GM has the balls to do it.

If not, it's really outside the box, but how does everyone feel about trying to nab Sean Payton? Keeps Morton, presumably, and I personally like the guy. 

Koetter was not hired mid season. 

Lovie Smith was fired at the end of the season after Koetter told them that if they dont make him head coach he will leave.

3 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

How about John as HC and Jay Gruden as OC (assuming he's fired in Washington)?   I would take that with the #1 pick.   

FWIW - I would take a run at Saban and offer the Saints a 2nd rd pick for Payton who may be about done in NO.   

I don't want Saban.  He was a disaster in Miami an has the unfair advantage of being able to pay blue chip players at Alabama.  I also don't think there is anyway he would ever come here unless he got busted

11 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

...or Bowles will return.

If Maccagnan does have immunity, at least for 1 more season, then they may as well bring back Bowles as well. I don't want to see Maccagnan given 2-3 more years of mulligans and a de facto extension in an effort to not saddle his replacement with an incumbent HC that Macc hired. 

They should both get dumped at the end of the season. Sooner, if possible. But if one is retained, then bring them both back so one doesn't get an additional, undeserved free ride with the other's replacement.

Agree 100%

It is amazing how the media and snobby Macagnan-defenders want to setup Bowles as the fall guy.  Yeah like it's Bowles's fault Chris Hackenberg, Devin SMith, Lorenzo Mauldin, and basically every draft pick not named Leonard Williams has stunk up the joint.  

Either they both stay or go.  Some lame assistant getting promoted isn't turning Mac's crappy roster into a Super Bowl contender

4 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

That implies the HC would have control of the draft....which is not how the NY Jets have historically been run.    It would also mean that Macc was mercifully put out to pasture.  

Based on History things need to change, and for the better!

4 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Agree 100%

It is amazing how the media and snobby Macagnan-defenders want to setup Bowles as the fall guy.  Yeah like it's Bowles's fault Chris Hackenberg, Devin SMith, Lorenzo Mauldin, and basically every draft pick not named Leonard Williams has stunk up the joint.  

Either they both stay or go.  Some lame assistant getting promoted isn't turning Mac's crappy roster into a Super Bowl contender

Not to excuse the awfulness that is Todd Bowles, but I'd love to the list of head coaches that would supposedly be successful with this roster.

1 hour ago, varjet said:

It will be hard to get someone with a future to sign up for this until Woody gives up control.

Woody will try and get someone to do it for the money.

This.

They need to have a football guy in charge. Until that happens, what's the point? The more things change the more they stay the same. That is how they are operating now.

11 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

I like Morton.

Id like Todd Haley too

has to be an offensive guy with the new qb.

Look at the improvement of Goff now that Fisher is gone

Todd Haley is an offensive genius. But he would last 7 minutes with the NY media. The guy would meltdown.

16 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

I think Haley, and Darnold would make a very interesting combination, Darnold is like Big Ben light.

Woody will pass on Rosen, take Darnold and pair him with the top Division II defensive coordinator.

Who wants to coach a team where the owner is on a power trip?  Woody Johnson is the guy who decided that after firing Tannebaum whatever GM he hired had to retain Rex Ryan.  He also hired Todd Bowles before hiring Mac.  They both report to Woody. 

Add to it that you have an impatient fan base who wants to come here?  I wouldn't be shocked to see Woody Johnson re-hire Rex next season thinking he can help sell season tickets. 

Archived