Who can this team even get to be HC next year?

LionelRichie

8 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

...or Bowles will return.

If Maccagnan does have immunity, at least for 1 more season, then they may as well bring back Bowles as well. I don't want to see Maccagnan given 2-3 more years of mulligans and a de facto extension in an effort to not saddle his replacement with an incumbent HC that Macc hired. 

They should both get dumped at the end of the season. Sooner, if possible. But if one is retained, then bring them both back so one doesn't get an additional, undeserved free ride with the other's replacement.

and these guys were the products of an elite consulting team's recommendation.  Can we trust Woody to make a "better choice."  It is like the Wilpons.  Can Met fans trust the Wilpons to pick a new GM?  They should conceive of a written test for GMs in all sports.  Forget interviews.  Any idiot can fake his way through an interview.  A written test, and 65 is not passing.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

...or Bowles will return.

If Maccagnan does have immunity, at least for 1 more season, then they may as well bring back Bowles as well. I don't want to see Maccagnan given 2-3 more years of mulligans and a de facto extension in an effort to not saddle his replacement with an incumbent HC that Macc hired. 

They should both get dumped at the end of the season. Sooner, if possible. But if one is retained, then bring them both back so one doesn't get an additional, undeserved free ride with the other's replacement.

This is why you do it now and promote the backup HC. Same idea as replacing the QB with your prospect just so you know what you have without wasting another year.

I know he has no OC experience but he seems competent and driven. We've had both before but not in the same person. 

2 minutes ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

bill obrien if he gets canned he has history with macc also with hack. him and houstons upper management dont seeem to get along. if not him  i would love peyton if he leaves the saints. i just want an offensive coach for a change

I'd be fine with either one. No more first time HC and no more defensive HC. Esp if we draft QB high, would want an offense-minded guy in charge. 

14 hours ago, Philc1 said:

I don't want Saban.  He was a disaster in Miami an has the unfair advantage of being able to pay blue chip players at Alabama.  I also don't think there is anyway he would ever come here unless he got busted

He wasn't.   He and management argued over a FA QB.

Saban really wanted Brees.   Management gave him Daunte Culpeppar

15 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

There are literally no blue chip prospects on this roster and there is a perpetually dysfunctional reporting relationship where HC and GM both report to the owner.   I can see the failed retreads lining up but I don't see a premiere candidate taking over this dumpster fire when other, better positions will be available.  

Harbaugh is pipe dream, Gruden is a broadcaster - although his brother may be available.  Not sure there will be many options who would want this gig.    

When you have the #1 overall pick in a QB rich draft it'll open up some doors... Plus there are only 32 of these gigs. There will be people who want the job for sure.

8 minutes ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

bill obrien if he gets canned he has history with macc also with hack. him and houstons upper management dont seeem to get along. if not him  i would love peyton if he leaves the saints. i just want an offensive coach for a change

Yes, let's pick our next HC based on their history with Hack... Jesus Christ... 

6 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Jets are going to have 80m in cap room and a top draft pick. That will atract somebody

It was 80 before they traded Richardson, add another 11 million if they decide Mo is a slug waste, it'll be closer to 100 million. 

I said earlier today that I thought Schwartz would have done great things with this defense he would probably be willing to take our hc job and if he found the right offensive coordinator could probably be a good hc. If nothing else at least he would bring some dam attitude and emotion back to the team.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

20 hours ago, Obrien2Toon said:

I like Morton.

Id like Todd Haley too

has to be an offensive guy with the new qb.

Look at the improvement of Goff now that Fisher is gone

20 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

I think Haley, and Darnold would make a very interesting combination, Darnold is like Big Ben light.

I think Todd Haley would be a great choice.  The only thing that I would dictate is that with a top pick and $100M in cap space, the QB position gets solved immediately.  After that, they can do what they want.

1 minute ago, Pcola said:

I think Todd Haley would be a great choice.  The only thing that I would dictate is that with a top pick and $100M in cap space, the QB position gets solved immediately.  After that, they can do what they want.

Haley, Darnold, and Lev Bell is a good start!

14 hours ago, Gen X Jet said:

Woody's facing his Leon Hess moment soon. Who will play the role of Parcels?

The only elite HC I would consider is HArbaugh and giving him full control with our draft high picks and 80 mil in space to build his team and ten mil + in salary would get it done.

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

Pat Shurmur?

Damn beat me to it...Great minds!  I posted the following in the Dalvin Cook thread but it probably belongs here:

12 minutes ago, legler82 said:

Bradford has had his best seasons under QB Coach/OC Pat Shurmur who may be an interesting HC candidate for us at the end of the year provided he can revamp Minnesota's O as many are projecting.  He is a well respected offensive mind who's good with QBs.  He is technically a retread having a cup of coffee with the Browns a few years back.  The Browns did not have any talent back then; his QBs were Colt McCoy and Seneca Wallace for goodness sake.  Having prior HC experience even though unsuccessful should be a plus at least he won't have to learn all the operational stuff for the first time.

Past Harbaugh and Haley, there really are no retread options. Harbaugh isn't leaving and I'm not sure Haley is interested in being a head coach again.

The Jets would have to go the coordinator route again or hire somebody who has just been fired by another team. A guy like Bill O'Brien would be a logical fit here because it looks like the Texans are going to have a tough year, he has a history of friction with the front office, and Maccagnan (who isn't going anywhere this year) knows him. 

Archived