Sign in to follow this  
LionelRichie

Who can this team even get to be HC next year?

Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
14 hours ago, Gen X Jet said:

Woody's facing his Leon Hess moment soon. Who will play the role of Parcels?

The only elite HC I would consider is HArbaugh and giving him full control with our draft high picks and 80 mil in space to build his team and ten mil + in salary would get it done.

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

Pat Shurmur?

Damn beat me to it...Great minds!  I posted the following in the Dalvin Cook thread but it probably belongs here:

12 minutes ago, legler82 said:

Bradford has had his best seasons under QB Coach/OC Pat Shurmur who may be an interesting HC candidate for us at the end of the year provided he can revamp Minnesota's O as many are projecting.  He is a well respected offensive mind who's good with QBs.  He is technically a retread having a cup of coffee with the Browns a few years back.  The Browns did not have any talent back then; his QBs were Colt McCoy and Seneca Wallace for goodness sake.  Having prior HC experience even though unsuccessful should be a plus at least he won't have to learn all the operational stuff for the first time.

Past Harbaugh and Haley, there really are no retread options. Harbaugh isn't leaving and I'm not sure Haley is interested in being a head coach again.

The Jets would have to go the coordinator route again or hire somebody who has just been fired by another team. A guy like Bill O'Brien would be a logical fit here because it looks like the Texans are going to have a tough year, he has a history of friction with the front office, and Maccagnan (who isn't going anywhere this year) knows him. 

Todd Haley stunk in his last coaching gig.  He has Roethlisberger, Antonio Brown and Leveon Bell I would look like a good offensive coordinator if I had those 3 players.

17 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I would stop being a Jets fan. Seriously. Not even lying. He is the biggest fraud coach ever.

The media is in love with Jeff Fisher

15 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

Past Harbaugh and Haley, there really are no retread options. Harbaugh isn't leaving and I'm not sure Haley is interested in being a head coach again.

The Jets would have to go the coordinator route again or hire somebody who has just been fired by another team. A guy like Bill O'Brien would be a logical fit here because it looks like the Texans are going to have a tough year, he has a history of friction with the front office, and Maccagnan (who isn't going anywhere this year) knows him. 

I would love that, but we aren't that lucky. I'm thinking Morton may be the guy in waiting.

7 minutes ago, section314 said:

I would love that, but we aren't that lucky. I'm thinking Morton may be the guy in waiting.

Why? 

6 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

I'm fine with ANYONE other than Bowles being HC in 2018.  A sack of potatoes couldn't do a worse job than him. 

Reporter: Can you explain why you didn't go for it on 4th down?

Sack of Potatoes: *crickets*

Reporter: Damn, this guy is better than belichick

Just now, Philc1 said:

The media is in love with Jeff Fisher

He is incredibly well spoken, but a crap head coach. It would be the perfect storm for the Jets though I can completely see it. 

Just now, johnnysd said:

He is incredibly well spoken, but a crap head coach. It would be the perfect storm for the Jets though I can completely see it. 

Fisher is really good at interacting with reporters and the media.  Chris Russo literally wants to have his lovechild.  But yes he's a very mediocre NFL HC who had two good years with McNair

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

Why? 

He seems to be a good coach who is on the upswing. He has coached and learned under some very successful coaches...Carrol, Gruden,Payton. Gruden and Payton swear by him. Just strikes me as an "under the radar" type of guy who is going to be a head coach. His hiring may be the best thing Bowles ever does for the Jets.

On 09/10/2017 at 10:57 PM, ljr said:

Would love Sean Peyton with his choice of GM or in both GM& HC roles ... That man has a nut sack & a f*cking brain !

Payton is on my short list.  McCarthy if he has a tough year in GB.

Harbaugh would be fabulous.

I would give Saban another crack at the NFL too.

But this stupid franchise will probably settle on bringing back Brian "Schitt for brains" Schottenheimer.

On 9/10/2017 at 10:11 PM, Philc1 said:

No real HC is coming here if Macagnan is still the GM.  IF Mac somehow survives this sh_thole he created this year he'll hire some garbage assistant or promote Morton.

Dude, I don't know what your problem is with Mac, but you are so far off base it isn't even funny. Mac has drafted and signed FA's better than any Jets GM in the last 10 years. No one hits them all, and I think some of his picks - Darren Lee for instance - would look better if the HC had a clue how to use them. Lee is a 4-3 OLB being used as an inside lineman which is practically insane, becuase of his size and the fact that they want him to cover TE's. Can't cover the TE if you are being occupied by a blocking guard or center.

18 hours ago, Maddog45 said:

I like Bowles as our coach , but if these idiots fire him after the season I want either , harbaugh , saban, Jon gruden , maybe cowher. That's it

I think Bowles is very stubborn.

Ironically, I think people were optimistic about Bowles as a HC after Year 1.  

But working with Macc in developing the roster, he has developed some really boneheaded tendencies.  The two of them have to be separated.

Bowles showed that he can do it with a decent roster, but he is cooked now, just like Geno was.  

Teaming 2 pure first-timers was pure stupidity.  Bowles needed someone to save him from himself, just like Rex did.  

The Jets need a Coughlin who is the grown up in the room.  If they had that, both Bowles and Macc woudl have developed better and have done a better job.

But the two of them are toast, and they almost seem to revel in it.  Rather than try and appease the fanbase, they keep doing stupid stuff with bad explanations.

This is only week 1.  It is going to get so, so ugly.

But to answer the primary question, I think O'Brien can be the guy here, but he will go back to a Ehrhardt offense.  Good be good for Rosen.

16 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

It was between Dan Quinn and Todd Bowles...the rest is history.

Remember when Manesh Mehta spiked Doug Marrone?  

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Todd Haley stunk in his last coaching gig.  He has Roethlisberger, Antonio Brown and Leveon Bell I would look like a good offensive coordinator if I had those 3 players.

Well being that Antonio Brown was buried on the depth chart when Haley got there and Bell wasn't drafted until a year after, you can't necessarily discard what Haley has done in Pitt.  Give him credit, Roeth was very stubborn during their first year together but Haley did not waver and now Ben is better than he was before.

And you can't hold the KC job against him.  He got stuck in the middle of a rebuild.  And his successor did much worse.

I think Haley would be a top of the realistic choices, along with Shurmer,  who another poster mentioned.  He got a raw deal in Cleveland from an incompetent front office and owner.

Unrealistically, I would love Sean Payton and even Jon Gruden as long as they were willing to be long term head coaches and willing to work with one of the college kids at QB.  No more quick fixes.  I don't want to go through this year just to turn around and dump $20M at Sam Bradford so we can get back to 8 wins a year.

On 9/10/2017 at 10:16 PM, Mike135 said:

A top pick and 100 mil in cap space will help bring in someone if they have draft and free agency control.  It'd be like letting the coach build whatever they wanted.

Exactly.  Plus the fact that there are only 32 of these jobs in the country.  And, of course, only a handful of these jobs will be available.  But if we have the #1 overall pick and a fantastic salary cap situation (plus an extra 2nd rounder), we're in outstanding shape for the next guy to come in here and re-shape the franchise.

Having said that, I'm not exactly sure who will be available.  Jim Harbaugh and Urban Meyer seem like they'd be the most desirable college coaches (I'm assuming Saban isn't leaving Bama at this point).  I have no idea who the top NFL coordinators are.  I also checked coaches with expiring contracts and that situation doesn't look good either.  Marvin Lewis, Jim Caldwell are listed as 1 year left while John Harbaugh is listed as "1+" (though I assume he won't be available)

http://www.otherleague.com/contracts/nfl-head-coach-contracts-salaries/

53 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Exactly.  Plus the fact that there are only 32 of these jobs in the country.  And, of course, only a handful of these jobs will be available.  But if we have the #1 overall pick and a fantastic salary cap situation (plus an extra 2nd rounder), we're in outstanding shape for the next guy to come in here and re-shape the franchise.

Having said that, I'm not exactly sure who will be available.  Jim Harbaugh and Urban Meyer seem like they'd be the most desirable college coaches (I'm assuming Saban isn't leaving Bama at this point).  I have no idea who the top NFL coordinators are.  I also checked coaches with expiring contracts and that situation doesn't look good either.  Marvin Lewis, Jim Caldwell are listed as 1 year left while John Harbaugh is listed as "1+" (though I assume he won't be available)

http://www.otherleague.com/contracts/nfl-head-coach-contracts-salaries/

Rex?