Who can this team even get to be HC next year?

LionelRichie

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

Past Harbaugh and Haley, there really are no retread options. Harbaugh isn't leaving and I'm not sure Haley is interested in being a head coach again.

The Jets would have to go the coordinator route again or hire somebody who has just been fired by another team. A guy like Bill O'Brien would be a logical fit here because it looks like the Texans are going to have a tough year, he has a history of friction with the front office, and Maccagnan (who isn't going anywhere this year) knows him. 

I would love that, but we aren't that lucky. I'm thinking Morton may be the guy in waiting.

6 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

I'm fine with ANYONE other than Bowles being HC in 2018.  A sack of potatoes couldn't do a worse job than him. 

Reporter: Can you explain why you didn't go for it on 4th down?

Sack of Potatoes: *crickets*

Reporter: Damn, this guy is better than belichick

Just now, johnnysd said:

He is incredibly well spoken, but a crap head coach. It would be the perfect storm for the Jets though I can completely see it. 

Fisher is really good at interacting with reporters and the media.  Chris Russo literally wants to have his lovechild.  But yes he's a very mediocre NFL HC who had two good years with McNair

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

Why? 

He seems to be a good coach who is on the upswing. He has coached and learned under some very successful coaches...Carrol, Gruden,Payton. Gruden and Payton swear by him. Just strikes me as an "under the radar" type of guy who is going to be a head coach. His hiring may be the best thing Bowles ever does for the Jets.

On 09/10/2017 at 10:57 PM, ljr said:

Would love Sean Peyton with his choice of GM or in both GM& HC roles ... That man has a nut sack & a f*cking brain !

Payton is on my short list.  McCarthy if he has a tough year in GB.

Harbaugh would be fabulous.

I would give Saban another crack at the NFL too.

But this stupid franchise will probably settle on bringing back Brian "Schitt for brains" Schottenheimer.

On 9/10/2017 at 10:11 PM, Philc1 said:

No real HC is coming here if Macagnan is still the GM.  IF Mac somehow survives this sh_thole he created this year he'll hire some garbage assistant or promote Morton.

Dude, I don't know what your problem is with Mac, but you are so far off base it isn't even funny. Mac has drafted and signed FA's better than any Jets GM in the last 10 years. No one hits them all, and I think some of his picks - Darren Lee for instance - would look better if the HC had a clue how to use them. Lee is a 4-3 OLB being used as an inside lineman which is practically insane, becuase of his size and the fact that they want him to cover TE's. Can't cover the TE if you are being occupied by a blocking guard or center.

18 hours ago, Maddog45 said:

I like Bowles as our coach , but if these idiots fire him after the season I want either , harbaugh , saban, Jon gruden , maybe cowher. That's it

I think Bowles is very stubborn.

Ironically, I think people were optimistic about Bowles as a HC after Year 1.  

But working with Macc in developing the roster, he has developed some really boneheaded tendencies.  The two of them have to be separated.

Bowles showed that he can do it with a decent roster, but he is cooked now, just like Geno was.  

Teaming 2 pure first-timers was pure stupidity.  Bowles needed someone to save him from himself, just like Rex did.  

The Jets need a Coughlin who is the grown up in the room.  If they had that, both Bowles and Macc woudl have developed better and have done a better job.

But the two of them are toast, and they almost seem to revel in it.  Rather than try and appease the fanbase, they keep doing stupid stuff with bad explanations.

This is only week 1.  It is going to get so, so ugly.

But to answer the primary question, I think O'Brien can be the guy here, but he will go back to a Ehrhardt offense.  Good be good for Rosen.

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Todd Haley stunk in his last coaching gig.  He has Roethlisberger, Antonio Brown and Leveon Bell I would look like a good offensive coordinator if I had those 3 players.

Well being that Antonio Brown was buried on the depth chart when Haley got there and Bell wasn't drafted until a year after, you can't necessarily discard what Haley has done in Pitt.  Give him credit, Roeth was very stubborn during their first year together but Haley did not waver and now Ben is better than he was before.

And you can't hold the KC job against him.  He got stuck in the middle of a rebuild.  And his successor did much worse.

I think Haley would be a top of the realistic choices, along with Shurmer,  who another poster mentioned.  He got a raw deal in Cleveland from an incompetent front office and owner.

Unrealistically, I would love Sean Payton and even Jon Gruden as long as they were willing to be long term head coaches and willing to work with one of the college kids at QB.  No more quick fixes.  I don't want to go through this year just to turn around and dump $20M at Sam Bradford so we can get back to 8 wins a year.

On 9/10/2017 at 10:16 PM, Mike135 said:

A top pick and 100 mil in cap space will help bring in someone if they have draft and free agency control.  It'd be like letting the coach build whatever they wanted.

Exactly.  Plus the fact that there are only 32 of these jobs in the country.  And, of course, only a handful of these jobs will be available.  But if we have the #1 overall pick and a fantastic salary cap situation (plus an extra 2nd rounder), we're in outstanding shape for the next guy to come in here and re-shape the franchise.

Having said that, I'm not exactly sure who will be available.  Jim Harbaugh and Urban Meyer seem like they'd be the most desirable college coaches (I'm assuming Saban isn't leaving Bama at this point).  I have no idea who the top NFL coordinators are.  I also checked coaches with expiring contracts and that situation doesn't look good either.  Marvin Lewis, Jim Caldwell are listed as 1 year left while John Harbaugh is listed as "1+" (though I assume he won't be available)

http://www.otherleague.com/contracts/nfl-head-coach-contracts-salaries/

53 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Exactly.  Plus the fact that there are only 32 of these jobs in the country.  And, of course, only a handful of these jobs will be available.  But if we have the #1 overall pick and a fantastic salary cap situation (plus an extra 2nd rounder), we're in outstanding shape for the next guy to come in here and re-shape the franchise.

Having said that, I'm not exactly sure who will be available.  Jim Harbaugh and Urban Meyer seem like they'd be the most desirable college coaches (I'm assuming Saban isn't leaving Bama at this point).  I have no idea who the top NFL coordinators are.  I also checked coaches with expiring contracts and that situation doesn't look good either.  Marvin Lewis, Jim Caldwell are listed as 1 year left while John Harbaugh is listed as "1+" (though I assume he won't be available)

http://www.otherleague.com/contracts/nfl-head-coach-contracts-salaries/

Rex?

If they were to remove both Bowles and Maccagnan, which I do not believe will happen, one possible GM/Head Coach combinations I'd like to see:

GM: Tom Gamble - formerly of the 49ers and currently working at Michigan on Jim Harbaugh's staff.

Head Coach: Jim Harbaugh.

Less popular options but thinking outside of the box: 

Jim Mora from UCLA - has head coaching experience in the NFL.  Average results during his time in the NFL (31-33), but has matured as a coach at UCLA.  Though not as successful as Pete Carroll was with USC, his career path is similar and maybe he can make the move back to the NFL.  He also has produced some quality NFL players.

Kevin Sumlin from Texas A&M - this would be more of a Chip Kelly type of hiring and we know that experiment failed.  Also, Texas A&M seems to be struggling after that Falcons-esque melt-down they had against UCLA.  But Sumlin is someone that has been mentioned before as someone who could make the jump to the NFL and has a great offensive mind.  Though his offense is deemed an air raid offense and many don't believe that type of offense could work in the NFL, the air raid offense was originally a simplified west coast offense and many of the air raid concepts are the same as the west coast offensive concepts.  Sumlin could also bring over a coach that the Jets are familiar with: Noel Mazzone (current Texas A&M offensive coordinator and Jets WR coach from 2006-2008).  Mazzone's NZone system is air raid based, but has seen players like Brett Hundley and Josh Rosen (freshman year) thrive in it (Mazzone was the OC for UCLA 2012-2015).  Another coaching connection for Sumlin is his one year special teams coach Brian Polian, son of former GM Bill Polian.  Polian had turned down the Jets in 2012 and got into an altercation with a Jets employee before, but he was interested in getting back in a GM position as recently as last year.  If the stars would align for this scenario, it would end up looking like: Bill Polian GM, Kevin Sumlin HC, the Jets with first pick in the draft and selecting Josh Rosen.  As a bonus, Peyton Manning as the Assistant GM being groomed to take over for Polian, spending the entire year picking on Eli and making multiple appearances hosting SNL.  A coach with no head coaching experience in the NFL would be a pretty typical move by the Jets.

The answer is pretty anyone they want if the Jets have a Top 2 pick and $90 million in cap space which is not that unlikely at all. We need a teacher, someone offensive minded and hopefully skilled at developing a QB.  I would actually look for a special teams coach in the NFL if he exists with those other characteristics. No more defense only type coaches. I would fire Bowles now.

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

The answer is pretty anyone they want if the Jets have a Top 2 pick and $90 million in cap space which is not that unlikely at all. We need a teacher, someone offensive minded and hopefully skilled at developing a QB.  I would actually look for a special teams coach in the NFL if he exists with those other characteristics. No more defense only type coaches. I would fire Bowles now.

I think Woody is going to have to offer something different to get something different in here.

9 minutes ago, varjet said:

I think Woody is going to have to offer something different to get something different in here.

Not really. There are only 32 of the jobs. They very very rarely get turned down. But, the Jets do need to handle the HC differently in all ways really. 

6 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Not really. There are only 32 of the jobs. They very very rarely get turned down. But, the Jets do need to handle the HC differently in all ways really. 

If this is the same program, this HC and GM job is getting turned down by plenty of people.  

The question is whether they can fill it-on that, I agree with you, somebody will take it.  That person will not be better than Todd Bowles.

11 minutes ago, varjet said:

If this is the same program, this HC and GM job is getting turned down by plenty of people.  

The question is whether they can fill it-on that, I agree with you, somebody will take it.  That person will not be better than Todd Bowles.

ANYONE would be better than Todd Bowles. He is without question the worst head coach I have ever seen. I can't actually think of anything he is good at.  And it's not that he is not good compared to someone else, or has certain weaknesses balanced somewhere else, he is actually destructively bad at everything that makes a HC successful. If you are defending him please let me know what he is good at.

I've defended Bowles to some degree since he's been here. But if we are in the running for a top 3 QB draft pick we can't start that era with Bowles. He clearly knows nothing of offense and will stunt the development of said drafted quarterback.

And then after a wasted rookie year or two, we'd be getting a new HC with new offensive system for the qb to learn. No good. Start fresh at the beginning. Its all about the quarterback. Bowles may be a good coach with a good veteran qb and offensive system already in place. But not here building one up.

- Its not just the ultra-conservative and illogical decisions by themselves that are a fireable offense, but what they reveal about his mentality overall. 

- The punts late in games when we're behind shows he's no different than Rex Ryan who just wants their defense to win the game for them. 

- The conservative game called against Buffalo especially during a year like this year with low expectations is all on him. Even if Morton wantes to call it conservatively, Bowles is the HC. He's gotta dictate to open up the playbook. 

- We need a hc with a mind to groom and develop whatever qb's we have.  At the very least if the next HC can't win us a championship, we need one who will at least develop our qb properly.

When Jerry Jones hired Parcells he said his priorities were to "win a championship. Second to that find/develop a franchise quarterback. Don't you leave me without a quarterback." Parcells didnt get first part done obviously, but he left him with Romo for over a decade. Yes Parcells was a rare legend coach type that we wont be getting next year, but our focus needs to be on getting a coach who will make the most out of our QB. That's not Bowles.

Potentials that may be leaving that I'd want:

- Sean Payton (give him head of football operations/HC, up to 90 mil in cap space, a top 3 pick for a QB and he'll come here if NOLA lets him go). If New Orleans doesn't make a serious playoff run, I don't know if they brinf him back.

- Jon Gruden but his return is sort of doubtful at this point. 

- John Harbaugh but I doubt Baltimore lets him leave.

- Bill O'brien. Has had a messy qb situation since he's been there but didn't have a lot to work with. Weak division but has put together some pretty good seasons. I like his fired up personality on the sideline. Better than the flat line pulse we see on Sundays. Unless Houston makes a deep playoff run I think hes out of Houston.

who are the available blue chip coaches?  who knows.  besides the bellichicken, mccarthy, carroll, harbaugh, reid, and maybe obrien or tomlin or payton, there aren't any current guys who have to pull to change things quickly.  anyone thinking of rivera or del rio or quinn or gase?  just say no. these guys had early success with their teams but the superbowl meltdown of rivera's and quinn's teams speak volumes.  mcavay? interesting choice in the first place. where did keotter come from?  imo their best plan would be to go after another highly ranked assistant and change the management structure to get a deal football guy in the loop.  and it doesn't matter much until they get a qb.

Archived