Not a good sign for Darron Lee

AFJF

11 minutes ago, JiF said:

Again, another player who was never a pass rusher in college (like asking Maye to cover) He's a set the edge type run defender and he sucks at that, badly.  Dude gets put out on skates all the time.  

Lee literally has the worst instincts I've ever seen from a LBer.  Zero play recognition and zero ability to react to anything that isn't right in front of him.

That would be my so far review on both players as well. Both would possibly do well in a different scheme but not this one. Hoping the new DC next year runs a 43

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Lee might actually still be a good 43 WLB. Mo and Williams could still play 43 DT. Ealy can play a good 43DE. Fwiw Maulden was a stud 43DE. Jenkins probably makes for a better 43SLB than coming off the edge. 

This team is actually ripe for next year when they get a New offensive HC the #1 pick/qb and bring in a 43 DC.

Mauldin.. stud? Like a wall stud or...? Please define so I can decide whether to click the laughing emoji or the downvote one.

7 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I'd take Pettine back.  Shouldn't have gone to the Browns at that time.  I think he could be a good coach.

I don't want anyone we've had. That's too Jetsy, our fans always want back the guy that used to suck, after they convince themselves that it was a more comforting suck than the current suck.

I want an offensive coach, preferably an established one - like Harbaugh - and a top-2 QB. I'm too old for this sh*t where the Jets are building a team perpetually for 1980's style football, while the rest of the league points and laughs.

11 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

We should have hired Jim Schwartz when we had the chance to run our D. He's an a$$hole, but he'd have figured out how to use the guys we had here already. Bowles is pulling that same sh*t Mangini did - focusing on the D, but keeping us on the perpetual search for "guys that fit". Rather than coaching what he has. I hated Rex, but he could at least make the best of the guys in the room (on defense). Bowles is worthless.

Just thinking about this more... the Arizona Defense never skipped a beat when Bowles left, he comes here, he inherits a 1st round safety, and our GM has given him FA safeties and corners, multiple safeties in the 1st and 2nd round of the draft, even a LBer that is built like a safety in the 1st round, plus a slew of safeties have cycled through the backend of the roster... and yet, here we are still searching for "a Bowles guy" that can play Honeybadgers role in our defense, or whatever... 

15 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I don't want anyone we've had. That's too Jetsy, our fans always want back the guy that used to suck, after they convince themselves that it was a more comforting suck than the current suck.

I want an offensive coach, preferably an established one - like Harbaugh - and a top-2 QB. I'm too old for this sh*t where the Jets are building a team perpetually for 1980's style football, while the rest of the league points and laughs.

It seems very realistic that Jim Harbaugh is going to leave his alma matter and 9M a year to join the Jets.

4 minutes ago, HessStation said:

2018 starting D:

DE: Ealy

DT: Wilkerson 2018 3rd round pick

DT: Williams

DE: Mauldin 2018 Free Agent Max $$$

WOLB: Lee 2018 2nd round pick

MLB: 2018 2nd round pick (via Richardson)

SOLB: Jenkins 2018 Free Agent Max $$$

SS: Adams

FS: Maye

CB: Burris 2018 1st round pick

CB: Claiborne 

woohoo cant wait!

It's Maccagnan's Jets, that means that every 2 years he acquires replacements for the guys he just added to fill the same hole 2 years ago. In 2019 we replace Claiborne. 2020 Adams and Maye. Wash, rinse, repeat.

23 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Yeah, those grades weren't made up by Costello, but okay.

I considered taking a moment to dissect and explain to you the difference of what I previously stated and your subsequent misinterpretations but I wont. It would be futile , without merit and cannot change the fact that empty barrels will always make the most noise.

7 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

I considered taking a moment to dissect and explain to you the difference of what I previously stated and your subsequent misinterpretations but I wont. It would be futile , without merit and cannot change the fact that empty barrels will always make the most noise.

Thank you for deciding not to fill my empty barrel.

7 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

Lee is so bad that I'm not even sure he has a trade value.   We'll see what happens with the new regime.   I am over the 3-4, it's time to find a defense that the kids play in college and stop trying to "convert" 1st rd picks to a new position. 

He should have trade value to a 4-3 team running the Tampa 2 needing a WLB where he can stay clean react and chase everything in front of him.  This reminds me of Vilma is Mangini's 3-4 defense with.  The big difference is that Vilma had the opportunity to put a lot of good tape prior to Mangini bad scheme fit.

8 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

Agreed. Dude isn't  a MLB he isn't good at shedding blocks or read and reacting .. Bowles is one weird defensive guy .. 

It seems that Bowles is a one dimensional defensive coach. He can't coach the 4-3, and neither could Rex Ryan, who went to Buffalo and the defense got WORSE. Bowles is not long for the head coaching world. He simply is not smart enough - maybe he is, but he isn't a quick reactor to situations that demand quick actions and decisions.

https://sports.yahoo.com/jets-fail-takeoff-takeaway-loss-134425119.html

"Darron Lee ... finished with the lowest PFF grade for the defense with a mere 38.3. Not a good look for the former first round draft pick."

Positives/Negatives From Todays Game

legler82 replied to Smashmouth's topic in New York Jets Message Board

I guess it depends on what kind of bar you are setting.  I was keying on [Lee] the whole game and in my high school level playing experience-only opinion, he had a terrible game.  I'm very curious to see what his PFF grade for today will be.  In the end it's not his fault.  He's just not a 3-4 ILB.  Maybe 4-3 WLB?  

Posted 

2 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

As far as Lee is concerned he looks like he doesn't like contact very much. I think he might be better as an OLB in the 4-3, but if he doesn't show more physicality he won't be long for the team.

It's more than that; he is not disciplined.  I think at OSU he must have been allowed to roam and chase because he's like a dog chasing cars out there instead of following his keys and fitting in where he is supposed to be and his teammates expected him to be.  I can go back and confirm the exact time and down but there's this one play, for example, where he had backside containment and he chased the ball allowing the RB to cut back for a big gain.  You can see Mo (of all people) I think yell at him and throw his hands up in frustration.  He as doing stuff like that all day; he thinks he's the one that's suppose to make EVERY tackle as opposed to just doing his job and be where he is suppose to be.

2 minutes ago, legler82 said:

It's more than that; he is not disciplined.  I think at OSU he must have been allowed to roam and chase because he's like a dog chasing cars out there instead of following his keys and fitting in where he is supposed to be and his teammates expected him to be.  I can go back and confirm the exact time and down but there's this one play, for example, where he had backside containment and he chased the ball allowing the RB to cut back for a big gain.  You can see Mo (of all people) I think yell at him and throw his hands up in frustration.  He as doing stuff like that all day; he thinks he's the one that's suppose to make EVERY tackle as opposed to just doing his job and be where he is suppose to be.

You are right. And if he DID do his job he probably would have had a lot more tackles. A guy that continuously takes himself out of plays is a guy that doesn't like contact.

Just now, Ex-Rex said:

You are right. And if he DID do his job he probably would have had a lot more tackles. A guy that continuously takes himself out of plays is a guy that doesn't like contact.

Maybe but there are times where I see him be physical.  I just think he wants the glory and can't be bothered with the grunt work.

1 hour ago, HessStation said:

I think maybe Lee is suffering from Jon Vima'ietis. Think how solid a career he had pre and post Mangini's 34. That's my silver lining thought brought to you today.

Lee can't play in a 3-4 I agree.  He's too small.  The troubling thing is Lee literally cannot cover any Tight End or Running Back in the NFL. Doug Jolley would burn him for 75 yards.

11 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

I think he can be fine as a run stuffing LB, but Bowles wants him to be more versatile than he is...granted, your first round pick shouldn't be a middling 1 dimensional player that you can only have run straight ahead into a pile, but when it becomes obvious he is...don't expect him to change his spots.

The Bills are a terrible team for Lee to face though. Their receiving threats are at RB and TE with a mobile QB. Too much responsibility on the LB for him to handle.

David Harris was a beast run-stuffing backer.  Lee was supposed to be the speed guy that could cover TE's, etc.  He's far too small to be what Harris was to this team.  He simply gets run over or pushed aside.  The problem is he was a bad fit here from the start.  

7 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

David Harris was a beast run-stuffing backer.  Lee was supposed to be the speed guy that could cover TE's, etc.  He's far too small to be what Harris was to this team.  He simply gets run over or pushed aside.  The problem is he was a bad fit here from the start.  

Lee is a really bad player.  I know Buffalo's got a great running game but our run defense was horrific yesterday

That's a Mike Macagnan first round pick boys.

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Lee can't play in a 3-4 I agree.  He's too small.  The troubling thing is Lee literally cannot cover any Tight End or Running Back in the NFL. Doug Jolley would burn him for 75 yards.

I just maybe potentially think bc he's not comfortable at all in this scheme and it affects his whole game. Lesser competition but he was able to do it in college. When you're still questioning and thinking too much it can mess up your whole game. 

8 minutes ago, HessStation said:

I just maybe potentially think bc he's not comfortable at all in this scheme and it affects his whole game. Lesser competition but he was able to do it in college. When you're still questioning and thinking too much it can mess up your whole game. 

Didn't he play way off the ball in college? IIRC he was basically the rover.

lee isn't all that small for a lb. he's maybe 10 lbs light.  if he's failing then it's either he's trying too hard or just doesn't know the defense.  

in the jets defense, 16 other teams lost.  two qb's who by all accounts are top 10 , ELIte and the red ryder, both lost.  just what is their team's excuse.  and stafford threw a pick six.  what's his excuse.

8 hours ago, Jetster said:

Same size as Bobby Wagner....just not as good, lol. Oh well, like others have pointed out, no studs 10 picks after either. Our resident GMs would have found a HOFamer in that group though....guaranteed!

I was screaming for Myles Jack, or Jaylon Smith at that point, and it was an easy move IMO to accept the Cowboys trade offer so they could take Paxton Lynch, but Macc failed miserably again at negotiating a draft day deal.

Archived