Not a good sign for Darron Lee

AFJF

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he can be fine as a run stuffing LB, but Bowles wants him to be more versatile than he is...granted, your first round pick shouldn't be a middling 1 dimensional player that you can only have run straight ahead into a pile, but when it becomes obvious he is...don't expect him to change his spots.

The Bills are a terrible team for Lee to face though. Their receiving threats are at RB and TE with a mobile QB. Too much responsibility on the LB for him to handle.

I really defended Lee as he was a young player learning a difficult position last year, but he just looks lost out there.  He simply doesn’t show the instincts to be able to be in the right spot at the right time, regardless of how fast or athletic he is.

That being said, I have no idea what Bowles is doing on defense.  What is our scheme exactly, because we get destroyed with passes over the middle, and even though Jenkins and Martin did a good job at OLB, we still cant contain a good back.  I just don’t understand philosophically what bowles is trying to do on defense.

28 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I've said this before and this is on Bowles, they are misusing him badly. He should be a pass rusher, not a coverage linebacker

Agreed. Dude isn't  a MLB he isn't good at shedding blocks or read and reacting .. Bowles is one weird defensive guy .. 

There seems to be a theme here.  Richardson, Lee.  Let's draft talented guys and play them out of position because we have a really awesome, but highly complicated defensive scheme that they need to fit into.  It almost feels like the GM and HC aren't on the same page but that can't be, can it?

57 minutes ago, Barkus said:

Lee looked terrible, washed out of all the runs plays and trailing the TE in coverage by at least 3 yards every time. He's supposed to be fast but can't keep up in coverage, another one of those looks like Tarzan plays like Jane guys. 

1_CATERS_AMAZING_GYM_KID_TINY_TARZAN_02-

52 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

I think he can be fine as a run stuffing LB, but Bowles wants him to be more versatile than he is...granted, your first round pick shouldn't be a middling 1 dimensional player that you can only have run straight ahead into a pile, but when it becomes obvious he is...don't expect him to change his spots.

The Bills are a terrible team for Lee to face though. Their receiving threats are at RB and TE with a mobile QB. Too much responsibility on the LB for him to handle.

A 225 lb run stuffing LB?  AFC East guards are giggling right now. 

1 hour ago, Gastineau Lives said:

This is impossible. First round draft picks that are defense never bust. Safe as milk, they are.

To be fair, he wasn't one of the "safe picks."  Nothing like Adams or Williams. He is what we thought he was, undersized and fast with questionable technique and instincts.

Bowles absolutely stinks at putting players in position to succeed! Even in 2015 his defenses gave up scores constantly before halftime but he takes a knee every f*cking time. He's a complete phony, has no clue, makes awful decisions ( HES ALWAYS WRONG, LOL), and guys are ALWAYS out of position & he'll say everytime (they were close, we'll get it fixed), and it's the same sh*t week after week.

Didn't look much better yesterday than he did most of last season.
[/url]  

Such a long and thought out and informative thread. We are lucky to have fantastic posters like you on this board really breaking things down in a way that everyone can understand and never jumping to indefiniate conclusions without adequate and unbiased evaluation of a player.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

19 minutes ago, Warfish said:

We invest a ton in Defensive draft picks. Most have not worked out at all so far, so the D still sucks.

And the Offense is dying on the vine for talent.

I'm looking forward (if you can believe it) to watching the All 22.  So much of the damage they did was right up the gut.  Leo looked good but Mo Wilk was invisible and whover was getting rotated out at the NT/DT spot appeared to be getting eaten alive.  Lee and Davis were also terrible.

However, Leo, Burris, Jenkins, Martin and Adams did some good things out there.

If Lee can't turn it around though, that's a  huge blow.  Can't help but wonder if he'd be better off as a 4-3 MLB much like Vilma when he was getting overpowered in Mangini's 3-4 before flourishing in N.O.

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I've said this before and this is on Bowles, they are misusing him badly. He should be a pass rusher, not a coverage linebacker

He isn't strong nor big enough to get past tackles and guards, which is also why he gets blown up on running plays. A primo pass rusher s gonna be half a foot taller and much rangier. They reached; he's too small to be an NFL linebacker. 30 years ago a 5'11" guy like Mike Singletary or Harry Carson or Sam Mills works inside, but not any more. And those guys were muscles on top of muscles. He's too goddamn small. 

1 minute ago, Bugg said:

He isn't strong nor big enough to get past tackles and guards, which is also why he gets blown up on running plays. A primo pass rusher s gonna be half a foot taller and much rangier. They reached; he's too small to be an NFL linebacker. 30 years ago a 5'11" guy like Mike Singletary or Harry Carson or Sam Mills works inside, but not any more. And those guys were muscles on top of muscles. He's too goddamn small. 

Lee is so bad that I'm not even sure he has a trade value.   We'll see what happens with the new regime.   I am over the 3-4, it's time to find a defense that the kids play in college and stop trying to "convert" 1st rd picks to a new position. 

11 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:
  • Agreed that he looked out of position and showed poor instincts. Jets are not a very good defensive unit, along with a putrid offense. Oakland should be fun.

Oakland is going to be bad. It is going to get late, early.

I am thinking a QB change in time for the home opener should happen.

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

Didn't look much better yesterday than he did most of last season.

By the way I love that these guys are putting out so much individual team stuff. Right after the game, sweet. You have been a long time PFF guy, they are doing an amazing job.

I don't think their grades are 100% because they don't know all the assignments. But still is a great resource.

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Except if it was windy, then he wouldn't be able to get to the QB. Otherwise he would be okay in theory.

Archived