Not a good sign for Darron Lee

AFJF

2 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

I was screaming for Myles Jack, or Jaylon Smith at that point, and it was an easy move IMO to accept the Cowboys trade offer so they could take Paxton Lynch, but Macc failed miserably again at negotiating a draft day deal.

I am over Macc.  He and Bowles are done.  What they have done over the last 3 years is looking worse and worse.

Hopefully Woody fires himself while he is at it.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, rangerous said:

lee isn't all that small for a lb. he's maybe 10 lbs light.  if he's failing then it's either he's trying too hard or just doesn't know the defense.  

in the jets defense, 16 other teams lost.  two qb's who by all accounts are top 10 , ELIte and the red ryder, both lost.  just what is their team's excuse.  and stafford threw a pick six.  what's his excuse.

Lee is a pumped up safety. Like last year by November he will be playing at 218 and getting thrown around like a rag doll (if he isnt benched) .

Excuses? When you have a body of work that tells exactly what you are as a player or coach there are no excuses.

Todd Bowels is the worst head coach in the NFL, and a huge part of that is player development.  The lack of progression of any player, outside of maybe few, is absurd.

Lee will never be a star, and likely wasn't worth pick #20, but he does have some ability as a pass rusher and his sideline to sideline game is actually very good.  With decent coaching, he should be at least serviceable, but our coach is atroscious.  

I can't think of one player outside of maybe Leonard Williams that someone would say, he's progressed nicely over the last few years.

21 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

Lee is so bad that I'm not even sure he has a trade value.   We'll see what happens with the new regime.   I am over the 3-4, it's time to find a defense that the kids play in college and stop trying to "convert" 1st rd picks to a new position. 

To me, having elite talents just to absorb double teams in a 3-4 is silly. You could just throw a sie of beef in there and do that job.   A guy like Leonard Williams  should be given room to operate, not wrestle for 60 minutes.  I also think it is probably easier to find 3 good linebackers than 4.  Opposition constantly looke to attack your soft spots.

30 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Todd Bowels is the worst head coach in the NFL, and a huge part of that is player development.  The lack of progression of any player, outside of maybe few, is absurd.

Lee will never be a star, and likely wasn't worth pick #20, but he does have some ability as a pass rusher and his sideline to sideline game is actually very good.  With decent coaching, he should be at least serviceable, but our coach is atroscious.  

I can't think of one player outside of maybe Leonard Williams that someone would say, he's progressed nicely over the last few years.

Toilet should have Lee blitzing more, I think he can be useful in that respect. I was hopeful when he was drafted he could be used in coverage but that does not appear to be so, he is useless vs the run. 

17 hours ago, HessStation said:

I just maybe potentially think bc he's not comfortable at all in this scheme and it affects his whole game. Lesser competition but he was able to do it in college. When you're still questioning and thinking too much it can mess up your whole game. 

Lee is too short and his game speed is mediocre.  I guess he looked fast in college because the players he was covering were for the most part slower than what he sees in the NFL.  His lack of height actually hurts him more than his lack of bulk.  Most NFL Tight Ends are at least 6'4 and they catch 50/50 balls over him at will.

Darron Lee won't be in the NFL in 2 years.  I'm calling it.

On 9/11/2017 at 5:23 PM, legler82 said:

Maybe but there are times where I see him be physical.  I just think he wants the glory and can't be bothered with the grunt work.

+1000

If you remember last year's San Francisco game, Lee had the same problems and we got gashed. He admitted in an article to being over aggressive and he did play better the few games after that. He was also decent in the pre-season. 

I'm not ready to give up on Lee (yet), but he needs to cut out the hero ball BS.  

3 hours ago, maury77 said:

+1000

If you remember last year's San Francisco game, Lee had the same problems and we got gashed. He admitted in an article to being over aggressive and he did play better the few games after that. He was also decent in the pre-season. 

I'm not ready to give up on Lee (yet), but he needs to cut out the hero ball BS.  

See I thought the same thing last year... He was playing too FAST and too aggressive and ended up overrunning plays... RBs and TEs baited him into things and he fell right into it every time.

But against Buffalo it was the opposite... He was getting burned by guys he should have been able to easily keep up with.

When I first saw him out there I was actually encouraged because he seemed to be moving more deliberately and with a purpose other than just chasing guys at top speed... But then he started getting beat left and right.

So I don't know. Not looking good, but he can still rebound. We shll see. 

On 9/11/2017 at 8:37 PM, T0mShane said:

Didn't he play way off the ball in college? IIRC he was basically the rover.

Yes.  He didn't have a position that suited him, so he played the same as how Urban use Ryan Stamper for the Gators during their championship runs.  Didn't do anything well but was fast  and would be in around every play.  Guess where Stamper is now?  OSU.  

Archived