I know Manish has an unhealthy obsession with Mo Wilk

AFJF

10 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

No one wanted that two years ago. It was "You don't pay your DT/NT big bucks". Basically the only person I ever saw in favor of keeping Snacks was Ray Lucas. It made alot of sense though to keep him and let him clog up the middle and get rid of Sheldon or Mo.

Just another inept move by the Jets

I did. Many others did as well. I said it over and over and over. Some said what you quoted, but signing Wilk over Snacks was not a universally held opinion here.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

we could have locked him up early is correct.  he was undrafted and so probably would have loved to take some guaranteed money.

i don't know why we gave Wilk that big of a contract after his leg.  

i am fine with trading sheldon.  i don't think he's going to live up to his second contract.

That trade I am 100% on board with.   You can only give a select few players big money contracts, and Sheldon just is not a guy I take a 50 million dollar risk with

10 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

No one wanted that two years ago. It was "You don't pay your DT/NT big bucks". Basically the only person I ever saw in favor of keeping Snacks was Ray Lucas. It made alot of sense though to keep him and let him clog up the middle and get rid of Sheldon or Mo.

Jet fans made those claims, not the front office. The mistake the front office made was penny pinching for a player they should have secured .  Also, Snacks did the wise thing for himself. The Jets play a 34 meaning constant double teams and wear and tear on his body, while the Giants play a 43, with a run stuffing NT and a penetrating DT next to him. It also helps that you have JPP and Vernon outside .

5 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

I said it before, I said it then and I'll continue to say it . A true NT is a premium position and when you have that player you don't give it up .  This type of player makes everyone better, because he keeps the OGs and OC off the inside linebackers and because he demands a double team, he allows the DEs in the 43 scheme and the OLBers in the 34 to get after the QB. Mike Pennell doesn't have the stamina to play the position on a down to down basis but is a perfect complimentary player . Him and Simon are a better combination than him and Mclendon who's more like Wilkerson and Williams .  There's a difference between Warren Sapp and Bogger Mcfarland and both players played inside at DT.

Good point. McClendon is a gapper & can't hold up inside if he's stood up. Bills have a very good veteran Oline, and Eric Wood is a stud center. Our LBs had their hands full because the Bills Oline were creating nice cut back lanes for the RBs to gain momentum. That's why Tolbert looked so good, he's a f*cking load when he's rolling, at that point the LBs & Safeties are bull riders hanging on.

31 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

Im not saying it was a no brainer. But the guy played with a lot of heart. Hindsight is 20/20. 

26 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

I said it before, I said it then and I'll continue to say it . A true NT is a premium position and when you have that player you don't give it up .  This type of player makes everyone better, because he keeps the OGs and OC off the inside linebackers and because he demands a double team, he allows the DEs in the 43 scheme and the OLBers in the 34 to get after the QB. Mike Pennell doesn't have the stamina to play the position on a down to down basis but is a perfect complimentary player . Him and Simon are a better combination than him and Mclendon who's more like Wilkerson and Williams .  There's a difference between Warren Sapp and Bogger Mcfarland and both players played inside at DT.

It's funny because I remember the value we put on the position when we traded for Kris Jenkins. That guy healthy was pretty much two players worth of impact . I saw Snacks Toss around Cowbays center, considered one of the better centers in the league like a rag doll, Demanding  a double team. Weird how this front office acted like that position was a dime a dozen. 

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

It's funny because I remember the value we put on the position when we traded for Kris Jenkins. That guy healthy was pretty much two players worth of impact . I saw Snacks Toss around Cowbays center, considered one of the better centers in the league like a rag doll, Demanding  a double team. Weird how this front office acted like that position was a dime a dozen. 

I can't be certain, but I think Sheldon Richardson screwed up the Jets plans bigtime .  I don't think the plans included Wilkerson once the team drafted Williams, but Someone's off the field and then on the field attitude became a problem .I think because of this, the 2 players the Jets wanted to keep are gone and the one they didn't will probably be gone after this season .

1 minute ago, Tinstar said:

I can't be certain, but I think Sheldon Richardson screwed up the Jets plans bigtime .  I don't think the plans included Wilkerson once the team drafted Williams, but Someone's off the field and then on the field attitude became a problem .I think because of this, the 2 players the Jets wanted to keep are gone and the one they didn't will probably be gone after this season .

Interesting how all the talk is about not drafting the right guy and we have another message boards worth of poor management of assets we could also discuss.

7 hours ago, Maxman said:

Glenn I agree that Wilk needs to play better. And this contract is looking terrible. But my point right now is your comment on the unhealthy obsession Manish has. It is like borderline stalking at this point. This tweet right after the game, I can never remember a reporter going after a defensive lineman like this before.

maybe maneesh wants to get jammed in a locker like serby.  he's right.  anyone who watched the game would know that wilk was non existent. on the other hand it is pretty difficult to see how he was blocked. it's also way too late to turn back the clock. obviously giving wilk such a hage contract was foolish, especially since it meant letting snacks walk.  but once this die was cast there was just about no chance they would be able to re-sign shelly.  and shelly's off field behavior made the decision much easier. so now mac is backing and filling.  at least he got something.

6 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Jet fans made those claims, not the front office. The mistake the front office made was penny pinching for a player they should have secured .  Also, Snacks did the wise thing for himself. The Jets play a 34 meaning constant double teams and wear and tear on his body, while the Giants play a 43, with a run stuffing NT and a penetrating DT next to him. It also helps that you have JPP and Vernon outside .

true enough about the players playing next to snacks.  when he was a jet he had a motivated wilkerson and shelly and so his game was that much easier.  still the nt position is not as highly valued as the edge rushers or de position like wilk.  and let's not forget that in all fairness both wilk and shelly were ranked very high in the season before he was re-signed.

8 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Snacks is the one we should have kept. 

That's the bitch of it right there.  Anyone notice that Mo and Sheldon's play dropped off dramatically when Snacks left?  And JPP is suddenly all-world.  After spending first round picks on Mo, Leo and Sheldon, they neglected to sign the best UDFA this team has seen since Jason Ferguson and Wayne Chrebet.

1 minute ago, sirlancemehlot said:

That's the bitch of it right there.  Anyone notice that Mo and Sheldon's play dropped off dramatically when Snacks left?  And JPP is suddenly all-world.  After spending first round picks on Mo, Leo and Sheldon, they neglected to sign the best UDFA this team has seen since Jason Ferguson and Wayne Chrebet.

Did you see that play last night when Snacks blew up the middle of the Cowboys' O-line?  What the hell were we thinking letting this guy when we could have resigned him at less than half the cost of Dud Wilkerson's contract.

35 minutes ago, rangerous said:

true enough about the players playing next to snacks.  when he was a jet he had a motivated wilkerson and shelly and so his game was that much easier.  still the nt position is not as highly valued as the edge rushers or de position like wilk.  and let's not forget that in all fairness both wilk and shelly were ranked very high in the season before he was re-signed.

In a 43 defense, the NT position is a Premium position along with the 2 DEs unless you're Playing the Tampa 2 . In the 34 the NT position is a premium position but the DEs are not . Their job is too tie up blockers and give the OLBers the freedom to get the QB . It's fine to have 1 special DE like Williams in the 34 because that player can always move inside next to the NT at the 3T defensive tackle position in the 43 to assist with the Pass rush .  Why does the Steelers always have edge rushers and the Jets never do ? 

A 34 OLBer should be able to play DE in the 43 and that type of player is a premium position player .  We have a collection of 3T defensive tackles who don't protect anyone and will never be able to hunt mobile QBs or any QB who can manipulate the pocket .  

9 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Regardless of the outcome, Manish's opinion on this topic is 100% completely meaningless.  Wilk can quite deservedly get trashed for his play, but years of personal vendettas are not suddenly justified in that process.  The last thing Mehta should get is the slightest bit of endorsement for his lunacy.

Getting rid of Richardson was still the right decision, regardless of what they do with Wilk.  Every concern that comes with Mo also exists with Richardson, plus more.  Anyone thinking Mo not earning his big fat contract is reason to give one to Richardson must not be paying attention.  Richardson being gone should have no impact on what the Jets decide to do with Mo next offseason, just as the opposite was very much true when they dealt Sheldon.

maybe we can trade mo for demario davis? oh... wait...

how bout trade him for Jeremy Kerly? ****!!!  I give up ladfjohwregae'gasdf

Archived