I know Manish has an unhealthy obsession with Mo Wilk

AFJF

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I argued this point to keep Snacks last year. The guy had 80 plus tackles for a two down lineman with the Giants.

I know we played Shady on Sunday,  but I expect our run D will suck all year. If you play a 3-4 you have to have a NT and our best ones on the PS.

I can't believe we kept that Steeler reject around. He's perhaps 3rd on my over paid Jets list, behind Mo and Buster Nut.

On 9/11/2017 at 9:37 AM, gEYno said:

Lot of dead money to cut him next year, but an 11M savings.  I think you have to do it, should his effort not improve dramatically.

Yeah. It's a sh*t break. I don't fault anybody anything over the contract. Even with all the complications that arose after the deal should have been done I'd still do it over. All you're really worried about there is can you trust this guy with this money and he basically fooled everybody.

On 9/11/2017 at 10:37 AM, Bleedin Green said:

Regardless of the outcome, Manish's opinion on this topic is 100% completely meaningless.  Wilk can quite deservedly get trashed for his play, but years of personal vendettas are not suddenly justified in that process.  The last thing Mehta should get is the slightest bit of endorsement for his lunacy.

Getting rid of Richardson was still the right decision, regardless of what they do with Wilk.  Every concern that comes with Mo also exists with Richardson, plus more.  Anyone thinking Mo not earning his big fat contract is reason to give one to Richardson must not be paying attention.  Richardson being gone should have no impact on what the Jets decide to do with Mo next offseason, just as the opposite was very much true when they dealt Sheldon.

I will never understand keeping all 3 of them for so long once we drafted Leo. Actually, at the time, it was all 4 of them; Macc had just exercised our 5th year option for Coples at $7m some weeks earlier. 

Certainly by the time they extended Mo, there was - or should have been - no doubt about extending Leo a couple seasons later. A team doesn't need both Mo and Leo - or Sheldon and Leo - each counting around $20m/year. Pick one of them, then if you want to spend that kind of money on another larger defender, make it an edge rusher. Leo plus a more lunchpail than elite type, in the Mike DeVito-ish mold, is plenty good enough for a pair of 3-4 ends. They'll seem better still if the team can get to the QB from the outside and cover WRs/TEs for more than 2 seconds.

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I will never understand keeping all 3 of them for so long once we drafted Leo. Actually, at the time, it was all 4 of them; Macc had just exercised our 5th year option for Coples at $7m some weeks earlier.

The 2016 offseason was just Macagnan defeating himself over and over and over:

--Bidding, against himself, to resign Ryan Fitzpatrick because he was soooooooooooo much betterrer than Geno

--Reaching for Hackenberg in the 2nd round when he could have had him in the 6th or 7th round because Bill friggin O'Brien traded up - and then did not draft him

--giving Wilkerson an insane contract extension

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Certainly by the time they extended Mo, there was - or should have been - no doubt about extending Leo a couple seasons later. A team doesn't need both Mo and Leo - or Sheldon and Leo - each counting around $20m/year. Pick one of them, then if you want to spend that kind of money on another larger defender, make it an edge rusher. Leo plus a more lunchpail than elite type, in the Mike DeVito-ish mold, is plenty good enough for a pair of 3-4 ends. They'll seem better still if the team can get to the QB from the outside and cover WRs/TEs for more than 2 seconds.

Having all three of them was never any part of the problem. The snaps are there and planet theory and they're all pro bowl talents. Not having a pass rusher since John Abraham has always been most of the problem, and with those three guys the bar was set real low as to how great an end we really needed to find but we still managed to do such a bad job of it that we mostly ended up starting a nose tackle instead. But yeah, if that was how they were planning on doing it anyway then the resource allocation is questionable.

On 9/11/2017 at 11:37 AM, ScarletKnight89 said:

He didnt play up to his cap number in week 1 but he wasn't terrible in the game. He deflected a pass in the red zone that Taylor threw and he actually played the run pretty well. I know they got torched by McCoy but Wilk did his job...

He's paid to be better though I agree.

I am with you.  I think bashing Wilkerson is going to get out of hand, but he is a good player without much around him. He didn't have a good game, but I don't see this awful dog that everyone else does.  OTOH, I never saw JJ Watt when everyone was smitten either.

On 9/11/2017 at 11:39 AM, The Crusher said:

It's funny because I remember the value we put on the position when we traded for Kris Jenkins. That guy healthy was pretty much two players worth of impact . I saw Snacks Toss around Cowbays center, considered one of the better centers in the league like a rag doll, Demanding  a double team. Weird how this front office acted like that position was a dime a dozen. 

We valued it with Jenkins because Mangini and Rex wanted to run a true NT, not a split the gap guy.  Soon Bowles won't be here.  Who knows what we will want? I was fine with not matching the Giants contract, but they should have tried to get something done with him the offseason before.

19 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Did you see that play last night when Snacks blew up the middle of the Cowboys' O-line?  What the hell were we thinking letting this guy when we could have resigned him at less than half the cost of Dud Wilkerson's contract.

The Giants have JPP, Snacks and Vernon and their fans are way more pissed than ours now.  It's not like the run was stopped.  The Cowboys owned TOP

1 hour ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Having all three of them was never any part of the problem. The snaps are there and planet theory and they're all pro bowl talents. Not having a pass rusher since John Abraham has always been most of the problem, and with those three guys the bar was set real low as to how great an end we really needed to find but we still managed to do such a bad job of it that we mostly ended up starting a nose tackle instead. But yeah, if that was how they were planning on doing it anyway then the resource allocation is questionable.

Agree to disagree, but I think the snaps were a little problem. If they're going to run a 3-man line as their base front, I don't see them keeping 1 of the 3 on the sideline. What we got was Bowles force-feeding all 3 of them (and a NT) onto the field while lining up 3 across because someone like Sheldon was just too talented to keep off the field. So we saw Sheldon at OLB. Sheldon at freaking MLB/ILB ffs.

Going with a 4-man front with those 3 and a NT isn't much better, because that's where we're going to lose the ability to use a pass rusher from the LB position (like Abraham, as you bring up). Those 4 are too slow to put out there together unless we want to send 5 on every pass play. They may disrupt the pocket if the coverage is there, but they just can't catch so many of these QBs. They're either just too fast with their feet, or too fast with their release. 

And yes it's terrible resource allocation to have one planet theory player on the sideline 30-40% of the time.

15 hours ago, batman10023 said:

he will still be due money from the Jets right?  

in hindsight this was a bad contract.  they clearly should have kept snacks and franchised MO for one year.

Jets will owe him absolutely nothing if released or traded prior to the new league start date. His remainder portion of the signing bonus ($9mil) will be accelerated to 2018's cap but Jets won't pay him anything. And at this point, he's 99% sure to be a goner next season as his $16+ mil salary for 2018 become fully guaranteed. 

Archived