Expectations...

DMan77

Let's talk about expectations and the mindset in which you approach this season as a whole and a game by game basis...

I created a couple of threads a few weeks ago with the goal of figuring out how invested people were and also where people thought the Jets might fall in the spectrum of poor performances...

And one thing those threads taught me was that there was very little consensus on how things would go. Most people expected a bad season, but I saw projected win totals everywhere from 0-6 or 7... I came away from those posts feeling like the majority of us didn't really know what to expect. We knew we'd be in the "bad" column, but I think there was a wide variety of ideas on just what that meant. People were different levels of "hyped" for the season and the game. No one was predicting playoffs, but I think there was a real quandry in a lot of people's minds about how things would actually go...

Which brings me to yesterday and today... Reading the in-game threads and a lot of the newly created ones, you would think the Jets were a destined playoff team that had an awful game. I feel that quite a few of the angry and upset posters were surprised by the performance the Jets put in. The vitriol coming after some of the players was really shocking for me to read...

From my own perspective, this is almost exactly what I expected. I knew this would be how it would go and I approached this season with very little emotion tied into the team. The only time I celebrated was the INT in the endzone, which I think was just out of muscle memory. The only time I shook my head and scoffed was on a couple of the play calls.

Other than that, I watched this game as a detached observer. The Jets played exactly like I thought they would. I was not surprised, shocked, angry, or flippant. In fact I came away with a couple positives for the long haul. I thought the special teams looked good and I was happy enough with the rookies. Outside of that, this was just as I had simulated it in my head. 

I don't want to tell you how to watch these games, or how to absorb the Jets, or how much emotion to put into your viewing... But I do want to suggest that people really sit down and figure out what their expectations are for this team, and from there figure out how to critique a game based off that. Not only will that help make the actual viewing of the game a little easier, it'll also help you find more 'positives' if your bar is not set overly high. 

Criticizing Mac or TB or the play calling, or the staff in general I definitely understand. That's part of a long-term critique...  But I do kind of hope the amount of hate and disappointment thrown around at the actual teams performance tempers off as we go on here... This was a decently average performance for these guys, based on who they are as a team... Give it a C/C-... If you go into these things expecting to see what we saw, it'll make more sense to you, and you won't get wrapped up in the anger and disappointment that comes along with unrealistically high expectations.

Again I want to be clear that I'm not trying to attack anymore or write the novel on how to be a fan. You do you! Watch and absorb this team and the NFL in anyway you see fit... Be upset if it helps you! I simply think if you really step back and re-gauge what you expect from this team, you'll have a bit more 'enjoyable' season, because the letdowns won't be so bad. You'll find smaller pieces of the time to focus on, and you'll watch things from a different perspective...

It's a rebuilding year. This is who the Jets are... There's no use in getting too overly upset about it. You can't be let down if you don't expect the world. 

End Novel.

I was uncertain and still am. Remember that week one is the worst indicator of what you will actually be for the season. But I was really surprised to be honest at how bad we were.

On offense we treated McClown like he was a rookie in his first start, and his play did nothing to really dispell that. Despite throwing the easiest and shortest passes in the playbook he was still inaccurate, and laser locked onto Kearse most of the game. If yesterday is a clue to our offensive plan, Petty or Hack can handle it just as well.

Our defense was pretty toothless against a pretty mediocre offense.

That said, I still have no expectations for this team. Seems like a team that will develop and will need tons of little adjustments and changes but Bowles is just no that HC. Let's face it. The entire offensive plan was for the veteran QB to throw to his veteran receivers and throw screens and dumpoffs to the young guys. It did not work.

I think Johnny nailed it for me.  I expected the loss, even embraced the fact that we are going to lose a lot of games so it won't bother me.  And the fact that we lost really didn't upset me.  It's how we did it that I find troubling.  In a teardown/rebuild mode, you need to find out what the young guys can do, but Bowles seems to be dead set on featuring the older vets and coaching to keep the game close and not lose by an embarrassing amount.  Letting that much time run off at the end of the half is what a veteran team does at home in a critical game, not what a young, inexperienced team does on the road with nothing to lose.  We wasted an opportunity to run a few bold plays.  No excuse for that.

I get that these guys want to win now and respect that.  I'm even okay if they claw out a few wins by hustling and playing hard and smart.  But watching a whole season of what I just saw will be a true waste of what this opportunity could be, a way to identify and develop a core group of young players to build on.

16 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I think Johnny nailed it for me.  I expected the loss, even embraced the fact that we are going to lose a lot of games so it won't bother me.  And the fact that we lost really didn't upset me.  It's how we did it that I find troubling.  In a teardown/rebuild mode, you need to find out what the young guys can do, but Bowles seems to be dead set on featuring the older vets and coaching to keep the game close and not lose by an embarrassing amount.  Letting that much time run off at the end of the half is what a veteran team does at home in a critical game, not what a young, inexperienced team does on the road with nothing to lose.  We wasted an opportunity to run a few bold plays.  No excuse for that.

I get that these guys want to win now and respect that.  I'm even okay if they claw out a few wins by hustling and playing hard and smart.  But watching a whole season of what I just saw will be a true waste of what this opportunity could be, a way to identify and develop a core group of young players to build on.

Petty needs to see the field, sooner than later.

I expect the team, and the Coaching staff, to try and win every single game.

I expect the team, and the Coaching staff, to show improvement over the previous two seasons.

I expect to see the team and Coaching staff be competitive and passionate, even if they lose.

If I fail to see any of this, I would cut/fire the responsible party. 

I expect the GM to take ownership of his many failures in building this team and tell us how he's going to do better/cut those failures rather than pretend they still have futures.

I'm fine with losing, if we lose.  I'm not fine with tanking, and I'm not fine with players or coaches cashing it in.

I expect losses. I expect our defense to suck, it has since Rex. I expect 18 play 35 yard drives for FG's, only to give up a TD on the ensuing possession. I expect punting in the 4th quarter down by 1 score on 4th and 8. Fine, I get that. I get that our CS is scared and afraid of their own shadows. 

-but-

IT STILL PISSES ME OFF AND AGGRAVATES THE LIVING HELL OUT OF ME WHEN WE LOSE. I don't give a crap about next years draft pick, we obviously suck major ass at drafting anyway. I will never, would never, and could never root for the Jets to lose despite how much I despise this regime. It aggravates me to no end to see guys like Wilkerson, Williams, Lee, & Jenkins lead a defense which is supposed to be so great, yet year after year does absolute d*ck in these games. It aggravates me when our superstar safeties and first round LB'ers can't cover their grandparents.

Damn it LOL.....Mondays are so s*itty when we lose....

I watch every down of every game and I am embracing the suck

Jets don't need to tank, they can try their hardest and still suck balls through a straw.

HOWEVER I will be really upset if they don't get a QB and a good draft next year because each round will have  a great draft position.

It was a weird feeling not caring if we lose or not for the first time in my life lol. I was happy when an individual player made a play but that's about it. I watched college football all day prior to Sunday's loss..lol it would be more enjoyable with petty out there though. 22-30 or whatever Josh was is good but that BS plan isn't scoring any points or helping any thing in the long run LOL. I agree though... detachment is key. I'm just going to stay focused on our young draft picks.

Enone of our expectations are very high.  But the last thing I want to see is McCown leading this team in passing, Kearse or Kerley getting all the targets, and Forte leading the team in carries.

If we are going to lose, let's at least find out who currently on the roster are keepers, similar to Chrebet.

Anyone based on this roster who thought we were or are going to be a winning team is delusional.  

We have the worst QB position in the NFL for two years straight; what in the world do we as fans expect under those circumstances?

If we had a top ten QB on the roster last year we are a guaranteed playoff team IMO and anything can happen under those circumstances and that is with the other poor variables that is how important the QB position has become.  

9 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Anyone based on this roster who thought we were or are going to be a winning team is delusional.  

We have the worst QB position in the NFL for two years straight; what in the world do we as fans expect under those circumstances?

If we had a top ten QB on the roster last year we are a guaranteed playoff team IMO and anything can happen under those circumstances and that is with the other poor variables that is how important the QB position has become.  

We will soon. Darnold or Rosen. It's finally our time.

The quality of the coaching and how some of Draft picks look is really what is most upsetting.  

It just confirms that the team is going to need another complete tear down overseen by a clueless owner who has failed at this a few times already. 

If we really wanted to tank we can have 20mm more in cap space if we did not keep players who were hopeless and expensive. 

tl;dr but the same dumbsh*ts who predicted 8-8 spent the whole summer screaming at anyone who criticized Hackenberg or questioned "The Plan." Those same dopes have disappeared and will re-emerge when the Jets somehow catch an opponent sleeping and win by 2 points in mid-November to raise their record to 1-7. 

5 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

I expect losses. I expect our defense to suck, it has since Rex. I expect 18 play 35 yard drives for FG's, only to give up a TD on the ensuing possession. I expect punting in the 4th quarter down by 1 score on 4th and 8. Fine, I get that. I get that our CS is scared and afraid of their own shadows. 

-but-

IT STILL PISSES ME OFF AND AGGRAVATES THE LIVING HELL OUT OF ME WHEN WE LOSE. I don't give a crap about next years draft pick, we obviously suck major ass at drafting anyway. I will never, would never, and could never root for the Jets to lose despite how much I despise this regime. It aggravates me to no end to see guys like Wilkerson, Williams, Lee, & Jenkins lead a defense which is supposed to be so great, yet year after year does absolute d*ck in these games. It aggravates me when our superstar safeties and first round LB'ers can't cover their grandparents.

Damn it LOL.....Mondays are so s*itty when we lose....

This.

Intellectually, I understand that losses are good and top draft pick and potential franchise QB and blah blah blah....

But emotionally, I want my team to kick ass every Sunday,  and wear my Jets gear with pride.

4 minutes ago, Ghost420 said:

Idk how anyone went into the season thinking we were good enough to win more then 1 game

Sent from my SM-G950U using JetNation.com mobile app

Read through yesterdays ingame thread... You'll get the feeling a lot of people were caught off guard, or at least just decided to go into things with the same emotion and fandom as any other year... That's just going to lead to disappointment in a season like this. 

Read through yesterdays ingame thread... You'll get the feeling a lot of people were caught off guard, or at least just decided to go into things with the same emotion and fandom as any other year... That's just going to lead to disappointment in a season like this. 

There's legit not 1 thing on our roster that could possibly make you think we would even be decent

Just now, Ghost420 said:

There's legit not 1 thing on our roster that could possibly make you think we would even be decent

I'm with you man... That's why I made this post... Not because I want to tell people how to be a fan or how to sit and watch this team... But because I think expectations are a pretty good thing sometimes. And there were (are?) some people who I think will have a much happier 17 weeks if they just reevaluate what they're looking for for this team this year. 

I'm with you man... That's why I made this post... Not because I want to tell people how to be a fan or how to sit and watch this team... But because I think expectations are a pretty good thing sometimes. And there were (are?) some people who I think will have a much happier 17 weeks if they just reevaluate what they're looking for for this team this year. 

Well we might suck at the right time for once.

Just now, JPPT1974 said:

Yeah it may not be the year the Jets breakout. Just keep positive. But really this will not be that year.

Ya see, I think when you have the right expectations set you can be positive, just in a way that actually works with who this team is... You can watch certain players grow, you can see if they come together as a team, you can watch for different things... You can look for those positives instead of expecting miracles week to week. 

Of course there are idiots, as sure as the Jets are a bad team right now. Most of us are only angry because we don't want our HC to be one of those idiots.

Like this HC looking good is more important than the well being of our team. Mac needs to reign this idiot in. We need to play the kids, and play fast and loose. 

These guys need to be playing for their futures, not for Bowles' future. We have a ton of cap and some high picks coming next year and every one of these players can be replaced. They should be playing like it.

Do that and lose and at least it's a productive loss. If we get through this season with a horrible record with a roster still full of inexperienced unknown talents then Bowles should fire himself and give back his salary. 

As I said before, anybody that didnt expect this to be one of the worst teams in Jets history is deluding themselves.

Reality check, "rah rah" fans.  The Jets will be an underdog in every game this season. 

And for those expecting them to beat Cleveland or Jax, apparently they didnt notice the Browns defense and Jacksonville's power running game.  Bowles' game management makes it even more difficult to win a close game.

This team's ceiling is 3 wins.  THE CEILING, however unlikely, is 3 wins.  And that is only if Petty can play at a serviceable level, like some of us think he is capable of.

Probably 2-14 or worse...

7 hours ago, Warfish said:

I expect the team, and the Coaching staff, to try and win every single game.

I expect the team, and the Coaching staff, to show improvement over the previous two seasons.

I expect to see the team and Coaching staff be competitive and passionate, even if they lose.

If I fail to see any of this, I would cut/fire the responsible party. 

I expect the GM to take ownership of his many failures in building this team and tell us how he's going to do better/cut those failures rather than pretend they still have futures.

I'm fine with losing, if we lose.  I'm not fine with tanking, and I'm not fine with players or coaches cashing it in.

And that's why we are trash and need to rely on journeymen like vinny t .... give me a fn break. Maybe this front office thinks just like you for all these years and is the reason we're trash and never had a franchise qb. TANK

You either believe that macc/bowles have a reprieve for the next two years or that their jobs are vulnerable. Purging the veteran's the way they did suggests reprieve. Given Bowles inability to coach, that means a new coach in 2-3 years who likely will need new personnel. So any talent that  macc accidentally drafted in that time will be approaching contract years and/or phased out by scheme.

Archived