Adams played 75 snaps but only 19 at safety.

jetscanes331

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/11/2017 at 0:15 PM, UntouchableCrew said:

I mean, Lee was never a regular pass rusher in college. He was a 4-3 OLB... Versatility was his greatest strength.

On 9/11/2017 at 0:16 PM, UnitedWhofans said:

His greatest asset is his speed. He sucks in coverage. Use him as a pass rusher. He could get by several of them with good spin technique

On 9/11/2017 at 0:24 PM, UnitedWhofans said:

For his first game, to have a tackle for a loss, a forced fumble and a tipped pass. Damn right

On 9/11/2017 at 0:29 PM, dbatesman said:

He didn't force a fumble.

On 9/11/2017 at 0:30 PM, UnitedWhofans said:

Jamal Adams punched the ball out for the first forced fumble of his career. #JetsNFL_2017_NYJets_v2.png

you were talking about LEE not Adams 

20 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I would have drafted Patrick Mahomes II. maybe they still lose but at least we'd have hope. 

Air Raid QBs have been mostly horrible in the NFL. I really don't understand why half this board chooses to ignore that part about Mahomes. 

On 9/11/2017 at 10:18 AM, Sonny Werblin said:

Lee replaced Ryan Shazier at OSU and the Jets apparently thought he could be just like Shazier (an ILB) in the pros. It's looking like they were wrong

Talk about ignorant... to use a 1st round pick on a LB raises an eyebrow, period. They better be luke keuchly or Sean Lee... not a 4-3 OLB you think can play MLB

ridiculous. 

I'm not sure how this became a bash Lee thread. I guess because Adams showed enough in his first game that you really can't bash him.

Lee's problem, and his only problem right now that I see is a lack of discipline. Not saying that he'll ever learn to read his keys but this is a complicated defense for MLBs. 

I know a lot of people think MLB is an easy position to fill but just because a MLB looks good in one system doesn't mean he'll look good in this one. They are the key to making this defense work. It's amazing that Bowels was allowed to come here, install this defense without ever addressing the position. 

I think this is why Bowles wanted to use a 1st on a LB that used to be a QB. It's stupid I know, as is Bowles entire system. If our linemen could read their blocks and the LBs just attack gaps or drop into zones we'd be much better off. You know since we spent so much capitol on the Dline, maybe those guys should be doing the thinking. I think Mo got bored with this defense right away anyway. He doesn't want to mindlessly attack a gap since it's his instincts that made him special. Especially when the LBs are just going to overpursue and get sucked into the fray.

I'm not defending him for slacking after getting a huge contract but I think this is his thought process. 

Idk where we go from here. They're not going to change the scheme now unless Bowles is fired and Rodgers runs a 4-3 the way he wants to do. I don't think he understands this defense at all.

The good news is that at least for one game our edge defenders looked like they belong in the NFL. Very promising.

We can watch for Lee and DD to improve their reads and stop taking false steps because that is the key. Everything that everyone else does right is for nothing if the MLBs are not in position. I'm not holding my breath. 

20 hours ago, bitonti said:

it's the same BS every year the fans obsess about the paper cuts on defense and ignore the sucking chest wounds on offense. 

the defense isn't perfect but it's good enough to win. The problem is this team couldn't score a point and to fix it they drafted 2 safeties. 

Huh?

No one is complaining about the offense?  Half the fan base isn't hoping the team loses every single game so that we can get a QB?  And no one complained about the two safety strategy?

On 9/11/2017 at 1:35 PM, BigRy56 said:

He's going to be all over the field and featured in a bunch of different roles. That's why he is the new face of the Jets. He is going to do it all and do it all really well for us. Nice first game for him - it only gets better.

And yet people complain about Adams doing a very good job after one game!!

On 9/11/2017 at 1:16 PM, UnitedWhofans said:

His greatest asset is his speed. He sucks in coverage. Use him as a pass rusher. He could get by several of them with good spin technique

Darron Lee needs to gain 25 pounds to be small for an NFL pass rusher.  How fast will he be then?  But sure, keep running with this narrative, and while we're at it, any chance Jalin Marshall could be a pass rusher when he returns?  He is also fast.

People complain about Adams for a couple of reasons. 

1. He was drafted at 6 in the first round which is historically high for a safety. 

2. A number of people wanted an offensive player picked so they don't like Adams because he isn't a QB.

I personally liked the Adams pick because he has the potential to be an all pro type player.  I didn't think any of the qb's available warranted a #6 pick.  My issue is doubling down on safeties in round 2 when we had a number of other holes to fill such as OL and RB.

There were players available with that pick that could have filled gaping holes.  I am not going to trash Mayes because I didn't care for the pick because he is a Jet now, but I have to wonder if our GM is bending too much to the wants of the coach instead of looking at the entire needs.  We are drafting too much to fill a specific defense that may not even be in effect next year.

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 1:02 PM, jetscanes331 said:

"Adams played 75 snaps, but only 19 came at safety, which led to some of his struggles against the run as he had to face Buffalo’s offensive linemen in the box." - PFF

Didn't see this discussed yet. Is it because the lack of talent at LB or just game plan? 

I don't see why you'd draft a safety talent like Adams to not play him  there.

You don't understand the genius of Bowles. He traded away his 300 lb linebacker, so figured he would try a 210 lb Lber.

He is clueless.

6 hours ago, Paradis said:

Talk about ignorant... to use a 1st round pick on a LB raises an eyebrow, period. They better be luke keuchly or Sean Lee... not a 4-3 OLB you think can play MLB

ridiculous. 

Exactly. No experiments or position changes in rounds 1 to 3. The picks are too valuable to gamble them away. However, as a fan, I will continue to root for Lee to "figure it out". 

1 hour ago, Joejet said:

People complain about Adams for a couple of reasons. 

1. He was drafted at 6 in the first round which is historically high for a safety. 

2. A number of people wanted an offensive player picked so they don't like Adams because he isn't a QB.

I personally liked the Adams pick because he has the potential to be an all pro type player.  I didn't think any of the qb's available warranted a #6 pick.  My issue is doubling down on safeties in round 2 when we had a number of other holes to fill such as OL and RB.

There were players available with that pick that could have filled gaping holes.  I am not going to trash Mayes because I didn't care for the pick because he is a Jet now, but I have to wonder if our GM is bending too much to the wants of the coach instead of looking at the entire needs.  We are drafting too much to fill a specific defense that may not even be in effect next year.

If I remember correctly, I don't think the plan was to pick two Safeties. While Adams at 6 was historically high for a S, the fact is almost no one had him falling to #6. He was the obvious pick when going BAP, which is always the best long term drafting strategy when building a team. Then when round 2 rolled around Maye was once again the BAP.  I do believe in years to come the draft selections will be well-warranted. Adams seems to be a sure fire eventual all pro, and I encourage anyone who goes to a game to focus on Maye -- who plays fast -- super fast -- and physical.  Marcus Maye is a tone setter. He's like having a Bart Scott at S.

On 9/11/2017 at 1:27 PM, Integrity28 said:

2 strikes, oh noes

guys need to stop fear mongering about "2 strikes", any half-brained negotiator puts language in the contract that protects the team from that sh*t... there's no reason to give the guy away for peanuts, but because Bowles played him out of position for 2 years, he killed his value... it's got nothing to do with what teams were offering, it's got everything to do with how the Jets forfeited their bargaining position and hurt his value.

I disagree, a 2nd round pick is not peanuts.  I think it was a good trade and the WR we got back is an extremely nice throw in.

1 hour ago, whodeawhodat said:

I disagree, a 2nd round pick is not peanuts.  I think it was a good trade and the WR we got back is an extremely nice throw in.

I agree with you.  A 2nd round pick is not peanuts.  If the non QB player you are trading can bring you back a #1 pick then you have to question why in the world you are trading him.  A 2 is as good as you can get.  Lets hope Seattle has a bad year.  Their offense looked bad this past weekend.

Archived