Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
DMan77

Report: 2 teams asked about Petty this summer

Recommended Posts

Didn't see this posted anywhere. Just a random report.

http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2017/09/10/report-2-teams-asked-about-bryce-petty-jets-wouldnt-trade-him/

 

A pair of teams asked about the reserve this summer, but the Jets declined to move him. That’s according to the NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport.

As #Jets prepare to start Josh McCown today, worth noting: 2 teams inquired about trading for Bryce Petty this summer. NYJ wouldn’t deal him

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) September 10, 2017

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.

If there was any level of confidence whatsoever that Hackenberg was an NFL quality player I think they probably would have traded him. Since Hackenberg has no business being on an NFL roster, clearly they felt the need to have someone under the age of 38 with the ability to step in and play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Why weren't they inquiring about Hackenberg? He did beat out Petty this preseason. Why wouldn't a team want the clearly better backup QB.

Strange, isn't it?  All I can think of is that they know he's the future face of the NFL, so there was no way the Jets were going to part with him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Strange, isn't it?  All I can think of is that they know he's the future face of the NFL, so there was no way the Jets were going to part with him.

Is this fun folks ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a rift between Macc & Bowles we don't know about. Macc reports to Woody...Bowles reports to Woody. Macc has no say in who starts on Sundays, that is Todd Bowles decision. Just imagine you trade Petty & he plays well under much better coaching & oline. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a rift between Macc & Bowles we don't know about. Macc reports to Woody...Bowles reports to Woody. Macc has no say in who starts on Sundays, that is Todd Bowles decision. Just imagine you trade Petty & he plays well under much better coaching & oline. 

And Woody, like a bewildered father, has to tell both his kids, "Don't tell your brother I said this, but you're really my favorite".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

Why weren't they inquiring about Hackenberg? He did beat out Petty this preseason. Why wouldn't a team want the clearly better backup QB.

Not sure if serious.

If you really believe this, don't smoke crack...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe we shouldn't get worked up about a deal request from the summer we don't have any real information about. What was the offer? If it was a conditional 6th or something, damn straight you won't trade him.

People got all worked up about a possible 2nd/3rd offered for Sheldon. We never knew what the real offer was, but everyone was convinced that it was a great offer and we would never get anything other than a 4th or 5th for him since we lost all of the leverage. As it turns out, we never found out what the offers were, but we ended up moving him (of course now nobody likes the trade although the roasted Mac for not making it last year).

When this source comes out with the details of the inquiry, then maybe we can get worked up. Until then, and until we really know what Mac and Bowles thinks of Petty, no point getting worked up about a non-story. After this weekend, there are plenty more things to get worried about :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is not surprising.  Last year when they were shopping Geno there was talk that teams were asking about Petty instead.  They elected to carry 4 QBs instead.  I guess it was necessary - otherwise I would be reading about how Hackenberg's growth was stunted by having to take a few snaps during his rookie year - sure fire way to ruin his confidence!

8 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Maybe we shouldn't get worked up about a deal request from the summer we don't have any real information about. What was the offer? If it was a conditional 6th or something, damn straight you won't trade him.

People got all worked up about a possible 2nd/3rd offered for Sheldon. We never knew what the real offer was, but everyone was convinced that it was a great offer and we would never get anything other than a 4th or 5th for him since we lost all of the leverage. As it turns out, we never found out what the offers were, but we ended up moving him (of course now nobody likes the trade although the roasted Mac for not making it last year).

When this source comes out with the details of the inquiry, then maybe we can get worked up. Until then, and until we really know what Mac and Bowles thinks of Petty, no point getting worked up about a non-story. After this weekend, there are plenty more things to get worried about :-)

Who doesn't like the trade for Sheldon?  Why do you act like it is pure conjecture that there were offers of a 2nd/3rd?  There were specific mentions that the Cowboys were VERY interested, but Maccagnan DEMANDED a 1st.  They still got a 2018 2nd for him, but it is at least a full year too late.  A 2nd now is like a fourth in 2015 when we should have moved him.  That is what normal people don't like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only logical scenario I can think of is, Petty's knee is not right yet. Then they will start him. Anything else both Bowles and Macc need to be fired.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Only logical scenario I can think of is, Petty's knee is not right yet. Then they will start him. Anything else both Bowles and Macc need to be fired.

 

Petty was asked about his knee and he said it's fine.  Bowles said all week and again after the game that Petty has not been limited in practice.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

This is not surprising.  Last year when they were shopping Geno there was talk that teams were asking about Petty instead.  They elected to carry 4 QBs instead.  I guess it was necessary - otherwise I would be reading about how Hackenberg's growth was stunted by having to take a few snaps during his rookie year - sure fire way to ruin his confidence!

Who doesn't like the trade for Sheldon?  Why do you act like it is pure conjecture that there were offers of a 2nd/3rd?  There were specific mentions that the Cowboys were VERY interested, but Maccagnan DEMANDED a 1st.  They still got a 2018 2nd for him, but it is at least a full year too late.  A 2nd now is like a fourth in 2015 when we should have moved him.  That is what normal people don't like.

There are a number of posters who complain that Sheldon is a cornerstone and we should have released Mo and signed Sheldon.

Yep, I remember, but none of these were actual quotes by anyone in the Jets or Cowboys organization. Also, negotiation 101, ask for a first and you might get a 2nd or 3rd.

I don't know what is true or what isn't - I just know 2 teams calling about Petty doesn't mean anything; a report by a trusted person saying they were offering something substantial would be worth discussing. But we have people discussing why Petty is in a dog house and then Mac likes Petty and Bowles hates him and we could have used the draft picks to rebuild if we weren't going to play him, etc. I don't give a lot of media reports much credit, and NY media even less. It is fun to discuss conjecture, but we have people treating rumors and conjecture as fact.

Until some real facts are available, I just to just watch the carnage with shock and try to enjoy watching some of the young players hopefully get better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Petty was asked about his knee and he said it's fine.  Bowles said all week and again after the game that Petty has not been limited in practice.  

Then he does want firing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

There are a number of posters who complain that Sheldon is a cornerstone and we should have released Mo and signed Sheldon.

Yep, I remember, but none of these were actual quotes by anyone in the Jets or Cowboys organization. Also, negotiation 101, ask for a first and you might get a 2nd or 3rd.

I don't know what is true or what isn't - I just know 2 teams calling about Petty doesn't mean anything; a report by a trusted person saying they were offering something substantial would be worth discussing. But we have people discussing why Petty is in a dog house and then Mac likes Petty and Bowles hates him and we could have used the draft picks to rebuild if we weren't going to play him, etc. I don't give a lot of media reports much credit, and NY media even less. It is fun to discuss conjecture, but we have people treating rumors and conjecture as fact.

Until some real facts are available, I just to just watch the carnage with shock and try to enjoy watching some of the young players hopefully get better.

I think you sell the media short.  Their conjecture is worth something.  FACT: the Jets traded Sheldon.  The same can be said for many of these other deals, like shopping Decker and Pryor.  They linked the Jets to Beachum who they promptly signed.  I can understand disputing how valid the rumors are, but I think 100% there is something there.  They may or may not be sensational, but they have at least a kernel of truth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

random GM "He Mike, if you aren't going to play Petty we could use him, what would it take to do a deal?"

BIG MAC " he's our backup, we gave the kid from Penn State all the summer reps to see if he could figure this thing out"

random GM "Oh, I got wind from your fans that you have a political agenda against him and were keeping him back because you are stupid and mean"

BIG MAC "lol, you should see them trying to scout college QB's"

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Serious question for the tank crowd. Do you want Petty to play? Sounds like he will lead the team to a 12 and 3 record if he starts the rest of the way. That is bad right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×