jets QB search : Josh Rosen, Sam Darnold are Lighting up LA ~ ~ ~

kelly

This is a merry Monday for the pro-tank crowd.

The New York Jets are 0-1, their quarterback situation remains bleak, and the top college stars are off to fast starts. With an eye on the 2018 draft, our updated power rankings :

1. Josh Rosen, UCLA : Building on last week's epic comeback against Texas A & M, Rosen toyed with Hawaii, throwing a career-high five touchdowns in a 56-23 win. He made every type of throw, showing off a nice deep ball. With little help from the running game, he completed 22 of 25 for 329 yards. After two games, he has demonstrated an important trait -- the ability to carry a team. He's putting up video-game numbers, but it'll be nice to see how he does against a real defense. Up next: at Memphis.

2. Sam Darnold, USC : Facing a tough Stanford defense in prime time, Darnold staged a quarterback clinic in 42-24 win. His numbers were terrific (21-for-26, 316 yards, four touchdowns), but they don't tell the entire story. He made several throws that highlighted his uncanny anticipation and accuracy. He also demonstrated an innate ability to sense the pass rush and slide in the pocket -- attributes the Jets are hoping to see from Christian Hackenberg. Darnold threw two interceptions, but he still finished with the third-highest Total QBR (97.4) in the country, slightly higher than Rosen (94.5). Up next:Texas at home.

3. Josh Allen, Wyoming : After getting beat up by Iowa, Allen capitalized on a soft spot in the schedule. He passed for 328 yards and two touchdowns in a 27-0 win over Gardner-Webb, an FCS school. Scouts love Allen's arm strength, athleticism and size -- think Carson Wentz -- but they want to see him do it against top competition. They step up in class next week. Up next: Oregon at home.

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/71101/jets-qb-search-josh-rosen-sam-darnold-are-lighting-up-la

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jets get #1 pick and all 3 return to school.  This would definitely confirm a voodoo hex on our franchise after beating the Colts for the Super Bowl.  All the fans and people running the Jets begging God to let them win the Super Bowl and don't care if they ever win again.

19 minutes ago, prime21 said:

Jets get #1 pick and all 3 return to school.  This would definitely confirm a voodoo hex on our franchise after beating the Colts for the Super Bowl.  All the fans and people running the Jets begging God to let them win the Super Bowl and don't care if they ever win again.

As much as all three top QB's returning to school would fit the Jets bad luck narrative, I think it would be stunning if all 3 literally tore up a lottery ticket type pay day to go back to college.  Just can't see it.

25 minutes ago, prime21 said:

believe-blonde-cry-crying-eye-Favim.com-

:cry:

42 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Josh Rosen is literally a one man team at UCLA.  Pressed a little bit today, but it was nice to see him in the pressure cooker again.  May have not been a win, but the kid still looks like he's gonna be special.

If UCLA decided to play defense just once before the end of the 4th quarter, it would have been a win.  Hard to not like a guy who throws for 4 TD and runs for one while constantly under pressure and constantly trying to catch up.  Yeah, the picks were bad, but I'd sign for this kid right now.  Not sure I wouldn't take him over Darnold anyway.  Still a ways to go, but I'm really enjoying watching UCLA and it's all because of the offense.

If UCLA decided to play defense just once before the end of the 4th quarter, it would have been a win.  Hard to not like a guy who throws for 4 TD and runs for one while constantly under pressure and constantly trying to catch up.  Yeah, the picks were bad, but I'd sign for this kid right now.  Not sure I wouldn't take him over Darnold anyway.  Still a ways to go, but I'm really enjoying watching UCLA and it's all because of the offense.

Either kid is a keeper.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

28 minutes ago, nycdan said:

They're both gonna be absolute gems.  We'll be lucky to get either guy.

The race for the golden-boy gunslinger with franchise-quarterback hair from La-La Land is the only contest the Jets actually need to win this year.

There might be seven other 0-2 teams through the first two weeks of the season, but one serious Suck-For-Sam threat has emerged from the opposite coast.

Just when you figured the Jets finally got it right by getting it all wrong on fall Sundays, the freakin' 49ers pop up on the radar.

Just when you thought this star-crossed franchise was bumbling and stumbling one ugly loss at a time right into the waiting arms of USC quarterback Sam Darnold, that damn hot-shot young head coach in San Francisco shows up.Just when it looked like a damn shoo-in that a Jets team that got excoriated by the Raiders for 45 points Sunday would slide into the No. 1 overall pick of the most important draft in the history of the organization, Kyle Shanahan's clown car pulls into the lot.

The Jets might emit a foul stench, but don't sell the 49ers short. They stink too.

San Francisco, believe it or not, might actually be worse than Todd Bowles' team, which should prompt Jets die-hards to curse, cry or do a little bit of both. Shanahan, of course, doesn't need to apologize to the Jets for trying to get his boy-genius hands on a potential signal-caller savior.Oh, sure. Nobody is a sure thing, especially a USC quarterback (see: Sanchise), but don't let history cloud your judgment. Darnold has got the goods. I know it. The Jets know it. Every NFL talent evaluator knows it.Darnold showed flashes of brilliance in USC's come-from-behind double overtime win over Texas on Saturday night. Forget about Darnold's stats (28 for 49 for 397 yards, 3 TDs, 2 INTs). The most important piece of the young quarterback's night was his ability to make high-level NFL-caliber decisions and high-level NFL-caliber throws.

He wasn't perfect - one of his picks was a flat-out poor play by him - but there were tantalizing moments of greatness that should make Jets fans salivate at the prospect of having this guy turn your wayward franchise into a perennial winner for the next decade.Darnold's 15-yard touchdown pass to Deontay Burnett was the stuff that makes scouts drool about the boundless possibilities. Darnold showed terrific pocket awareness after his first read was covered, exhibited functional mobility to slide out of chaos and threw open his receiver. It was the FQBT: Franchise Quarterback Trifecta.He was unflappable in the face of too many drops by his supporting cast. So, forget about his numbers. His seven touchdowns and six interceptions (half of which came off tipped passes) in USC's first three games don't jump off the page. But that doesn't matter. Other quarterbacks have better stats. None has a better chance of being an NFL franchise signal caller.

Know this: It's not about how good of a college quarterback you are. It's about how good of a pro quarterback you can be.

The Jets and 49ers are fully aware of these truths as they study Darnold.

The worst kept secret in NFL scouting circles : Darnold has the makings to be a star for a very long time.

UCLA's Josh Rosen, probably the best pure pocket passer in the country, and Wyoming's Josh Allen have the skill sets to be franchise signal callers, but Darnold will likely be the No. 1 pick in the upcoming draft. (He could choose to stay in school another year, but why subject Jets fans to that kind of hypothetical torture right now?).The 49ers could spoil the party, because, well, they're not very good at football, either. (Editor's Note: Don't sleep on the Browns' ineptitude).San Francisco's 12-9 loss to the Seahawks on Sunday punctuated a terrible start for their rookie head coach. Shanahan's team has managed only 12 points (four field goals) in 21 drives this season. The offensive guru's club is 4 for 23 (17.4 percent) on third downs in the first two games.

The great Brian Hoyer threw for a grand total of 99 yards on Sunday.

Some folks have assumed that Washington's Kirk Cousins will re-unite with his former coach next offseason, but why not grab a younger, cheaper and likely better option at the top of the next draft? Shanahan and general manager John Lynch are in the first year of a six-year commitment, so grabbing Darnold makes perfect sense.It's almost too cruel to subject  :ph34r: Jets fans :ph34r:  to this scenario. Haven't these people suffered enough? Besides, the 49ers have already won their fair share of Super Bowls with their fair share of franchise quarterbacks.

Sure, Rosen and/or Allen might turn into NFL difference makers, but there is one giant pot of gold at the end of this 0-16 (?) rainbow.

The 49ers better not ruin it for the Jets.

>     http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/49ers-steal-usc-qb-sam-darnold-jets-2018-draft-article-1.3503404

QB search : Sam Darnold 'jumps' field as Jets inch closer to top pick

-- If you're a passenger on the New York Jets' train to Tanksville, this was a weekend of mixed emotions.

You're happy they lost again, making the Jets one of eight 0-2 teams. At the same time, their would-be quarterback saviors failed to enhance their draft stock, although Sam Darnold did enough to overtake Josh Rosen in our weekly power rankings.

1. Sam Darnold, USC. This was his second "off" game in three weeks, but he showed his mental toughness in crunch time, rallying the Trojans to a dramatic 27-24 win over Texas in double overtime. He delivered a signature play -- an incredible jump pass late in the fourth quarter -- enhancing his reputation as a cool customer. His poise was admirable, but there were a couple of hiccups. He completed 28 of 49 passes for 397 yards and three touchdowns. He threw two interceptions, but one wasn't his fault. The Heisman hopeful isn't having a great year, but he keeps winning. Up next: At Cal.

2. Josh Rosen, UCLA. He continued to rack up video-game numbers (34-for-56, 463 yards, four touchdowns), but his gunslinger mentality put his team in trouble. He threw two costly interceptions, including one in the red zone, as the Bruins were stunned on the road -- a 48-45 loss to Memphis. Rosen also was called for two intentional grounding penalties. Afterward, he admitted he needs to be smarter with the football. Basically, he's running a one-man show, getting no help from the running game. Up next: At Stanford.

3. Josh Allen, Wyoming. Let's be honest: Allen, considered by some scouts as the quarterback with the greatest upside, is having a disappointing year. In his second and perhaps final game against a Power 5 opponent, Allen played horribly in a 49-13 loss to Oregon. With scouts from 16 NFL teams in attendance, he completed only nine of 24 passes for 64 yards. He also suffered an ankle injury on the final play of the game. From now until the draft, assuming he declares, Allen will be hounded by questions about his struggles against top competition. Up next: Vs. Hawaii.

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/71329/qb-search-sam-darnold-jumps-field-as-jets-inch-closer-to-top-pick

Just now, flgreen said:

No, I like Darnold.  Just think Rosen is carrying a heavier load.  Allen is not looking good right now.

Allen Needs a Jay Cutler vs Florida game or he's out of the 1st round .  I want the Jets to have the 2nd pick because I want someone to take either Darnold or Rosen and leave the Jets and their fans without a choice .

5 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

I want the Jets to have the 2nd pick because I want someone to take either Darnold or Rosen and leave the Jets and their fans without a choice .

2nd pick? Aren't you concerned we'll get Ryan Leaf, Rick Mirer, RG-III, etc....

I just recall so many #2 picks (QB's) turning out to be huge busts.

4 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Allen Needs a Jay Cutler vs Florida game or he's out of the 1st round .  I want the Jets to have the 2nd pick because I want someone to take either Darnold or Rosen and leave the Jets and their fans without a choice .

LOL

FANS never have a choice.......as they shouldn't

IMO this is a very rare year that both the top guys might be equally good.  But like i said, It's very rare, and this is the Jets.  Things have a way of going sideways in the draft room when it comes to QB's.   Think we have drafted 8 of them since 2008, and Bryce Petty is our best chance right now.

4 minutes ago, RichardTodd27 said:

2nd pick? Aren't you concerned we'll get Ryan Leaf, Rick Mirer, RG-III, etc....

I just recall so many #2 picks (QB's) turning out to be huge busts.

Get a feeling that Tin wants to punish the fan base for being vocally angry at another very inept regime 

3 hours ago, flgreen said:

Get a feeling that Tin wants to punish the fan base for being vocally angry at another very inept regime 

Nah, i'm hoping whoever picks 1st takes Darnold and leaves us with no choice but to take Rosen . Either way, we will get a quality QB, but I really want Rosen . I prefer his arm strength in the meadowlands .  Furthermore, I don't have to punish anyone, Jet fans have a way of doing that all by themselves  without my help .            

Archived