Sign in to follow this  
kelly

jets QB search : Josh Rosen, Sam Darnold are Lighting up LA ~ ~ ~

4 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

He's our QB. Rosen and Darnold are gone before we pick, and we may have to move up for Mayfield. A lot of teams need a QB

Mayfield and Oklahoma got beat today at home by a walk-on QB. Mayfield didn't have a bad game but he did get beat at home. I still like his game and his response to an Iowa State player planting their flag at mid-field was classy. He showed maturity in the loss and at the presser. Still looks like a player to me and the reason why I like the guy the most is that He walked on at Texas Tech and lost the job. Then transferred to Oklahoma and beat out The incumbent starter and another guy after sitting out the year before. That tells me the guy has a ton of heart and the stones to get the job done. You need a guy with those two qualities to succeed in NY. I just don't know if he is a top ten pick.If the Jets somehow came out of the 2018 Draft with Saquon and Mayfield I would be one happy Jet Fan. I doubt it happens though but stranger things have and it will be fun to watch as usual.

Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
2 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Mayfield and Oklahoma got beat today at home by a walk-on QB. Mayfield didn't have a bad game but he did get beat at home. I still like his game and his response to an Iowa State player planting their flag at mid-field was classy. He showed maturity in the loss and at the presser. Still looks like a player to me and the reason why I like the guy the most is that He walked on at Texas Tech and lost the job. Then transferred to Oklahoma and beat out The incumbent starter and another guy after sitting out the year before. That tells me the guy has a ton of heart and the stones to get the job done. You need a guy with those two qualities to succeed in NY. I just don't know if he is a top ten pick.If the Jets somehow came out of the 2018 Draft with Saquon and Mayfield I would be one happy Jet Fan. I doubt it happens though but stranger things have and it will be fun to watch as usual.

I wouldn't mind McSorely out of PSU either.  Dude's a gamer and will probably last till the 7th.

18 minutes ago, long suffering jets fan said:

I wouldn't mind McSorely out of PSU either.  Dude's a gamer and will probably last till the 7th.

You want Johnny Manziel with less talent?

1 hour ago, JetFaninMI said:

I liked what he did against Texas Tech both times he played them.  Won both games and last year threw for over 500 yards and 7 TDs.

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

Is Luke Falk sneaking into consideration as a mid-to-high first rounder?

I watched parts of that game and agree he looked good again, missed a few passes (once behind the receiver on a crossing route would have been an INT in NFL)  but he brought his team back for the win, looks the part, would be great to see him and Washington makes a run for the Championship and that is more likely with the Sooner loss yesterday - this class of QB's continues to impress

In other news, Sam threw another pick against an inferior team, season total now at 12 TD vs 9 INT 

53 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I think he is in the discussion.  Accuracy, poise, and touch.  A little bit inconsistent yesterday as he missed a few throws he normally makes, but he also had a couple of drives when he threw some perfect passes downfield to lead to scores.  Was nice to see him throw downfield a bit yesterday -- he has had a few games where everything is dink and dunk.

The one potential knock on Falk is arm strength -- I love his accuracy and ball placement, I think he is a great fit for a West Coast offense, he puts the ball on his receivers in position to let them make plays.  I love his ball placement, but does he have the arm strength to make an NFL defense defend the entire field.  Combine/pro day will huge for him.  If he shows he can make all the NFL throws, then I think he is in the first round discussion -- and he would look real good in green and white.

13 hours ago, long suffering jets fan said:

Yeah, let’s take a Penn State QB.  Sackenburg can show him the best set on the bench. 

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

Looks good and has the experience in a pro styled offense but should not be considered a first rounder because of it. Lacks the arm talent, mid round arm talent.

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Kid would be an absolute 1st overall  pick even going up against Darnold and Rosen if he had even Darnold's Arm strength . Falk, even at the college level is a hash Mark to Hash mark thrower and his ball hangs forever between the hash marks when he goes down the field . Guys like Falk and  Browning make it difficult to evaluate Pac 12 CBs .  

2 minutes ago, NYJCAP2 said:

Looks good and has the experience in a pro styled offense but should not be considered a first rounder because of it. Lacks the arm talent, mid round arm talent.

I think WSU is 100% Air Raid.  No snaps behind center.  At least that's what I've read.  If you've seen different, do tell.

8 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Kid would be an absolute 1st overall  pick even going up against Darnold and Rosen if he had even Darnold's Arm strength . Falk, even at the college level is a hash Mark to Hash mark thrower and his ball hangs forever between the hash marks when he goes down the field . Guys like Falk and  Browning make it difficult to evaluate Pac 12 CBs .  

So can we put his brain into Josh Allen's body?

Going on just gut right now, I see four guys I could get excited about in the first round.  Rosen, Rudolph, Jackson and Falk.  I don't think Darnold will come out unless he turns his season around but he'd be the fifth.  Even if we do screw up and win 6 games, we'll still have a shot at one of them.  But damn, I really, really like Rosen.  Kid feels like Marino 2.0 to me.  I almost wish he'd get caught smoking a bowl so he'll drop a bit and we can correct our mistake of 35 years ago (WTF!) and draft him.

10 minutes ago, nycdan said:

So can we put his brain into Josh Allen's body?

Going on just gut right now, I see four guys I could get excited about in the first round.  Rosen, Rudolph, Jackson and Falk.  I don't think Darnold will come out unless he turns his season around but he'd be the fifth.  Even if we do screw up and win 6 games, we'll still have a shot at one of them.  But damn, I really, really like Rosen.  Kid feels like Marino 2.0 to me.  I almost wish he'd get caught smoking a bowl so he'll drop a bit and we can correct our mistake of 35 years ago (WTF!) and draft him.

Take Falk out and insert Mayfield . Kid is short, but he overcomes that with Joe Namath style moxie . OH, and somebody's going to take Josh Allen high in the 1st . The kid has way to much talent .

3 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Take Falk out and insert Mayfield . Kid is short, but he overcomes that with Joe Namath style moxie . OH, and somebody's going to take Josh Allen high in the 1st . The kid has way to much talent .

Oh I agree about Allen.  I just don't want us to be the team that takes him.  We already have one of those LOL.

I hear what you say about Mayfield.  I'm just not sold yet.  Brees and Wilson proved that short doesn't always equal unproductive, but it's hard for me to look past it.  I'll stay open-minded on it, though, and if any team decides to take him early, that only helps us anyway.  

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

Oh I agree about Allen.  I just don't want us to be the team that takes him.  We already have one of those LOL.

I hear what you say about Mayfield.  I'm just not sold yet.  Brees and Wilson proved that short doesn't always equal unproductive, but it's hard for me to look past it.  I'll stay open-minded on it, though, and if any team decides to take him early, that only helps us anyway.  

Right now, my preference would be Rosen, Rudolph and Mayfield  . I hope that Jackson goes back to school and continues his development because he's night and day from last year but not yet ready for the NFL .

3 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Right now, my preference would be Rosen, Rudolph and Mayfield  . I hope that Jackson goes back to school and continues his development because he's night and day from last year but not yet ready for the NFL .

For his sake, sure.  But if we're drafting a QB this year, you want every single kid with 1st round potential to come out and spread the interest and the wealth around as much as possible.  

If we are unlucky enough not to get Darnold or Rosen, but lucky enough to a LT in the 1st and draft Falk in the 2nd (he deserves to be in the 1st), I'd be ecstatic. 

1 hour ago, skippyy said:

the top 3 QBs are going to the Browns,Niners and Giants(Eli is 37)

With chargers and cardinals fighting for one up top as well.

1 hour ago, skippyy said:

the top 3 QBs are going to the Browns,Niners and Giants(Eli is 37)

So we can look for Baker Mayfield or some other QB then at #6-#10 or so.  Cool.

Even if we win several more games, we can always trade up.  Yeah it is expensive, but if QB is that key that we absolutely need to get, then it should be in consideration.  Especially if we are talking about moving from say a mid pick to a bottom top 10 pick.

Mac has to be all in on a QB no matter where we end up picking or what we have to move up to get the one we want.  He created this desperation by not addressing the QB spot in 2017.  This will be his last shot to right the ship here.  He better not screw it up.