Bowles: Jamal was outstanding; Marcus had a good game - one play

Maxman

New York Jets Head Coach Todd Bowles, 9.11

On an injury update for Bruce Carter and Eric Tomlinson…

Carter has a sprained ankle and Tomlinson has a sprained elbow.

On if there were any other injuries…

No, there weren’t.

On if either of those injuries will prevent them from playing this week…

Too early to tell right now.

On if anything stood out to him after watching film…

No, it’s pretty much the same. I kind of knew when it happened. We just have to be in our gaps and not try to make too many plays and do our job.

On how the coaching staff approaches correcting these errors…

Just going back to basics – hard work in practice, making sure everyone is accountable and doing the job that they’re supposed to do.

On why he believes the offense struggled in the run game on Sunday…

They packed the box some. They made a few good plays. They were coming off and packing it pretty good, making us come off of double-teams pretty quickly. They had it packed up pretty good. We just have to find a way to open it up and keep plugging at it.

On challenges of running the ball when there are so many defensive players in the box…

We have to loosen them up in the pass game some, as well, but we have to find different ways to try to run the ball and loosen them up and not have many guys down there.

On if he wishes the offense was able to stretch the field more…

We had some called. Obviously, we couldn’t get to them either by coverage or protection, but we had some shots called and we’d like to do that more. In the future, we will.

On if he has any thoughts on whether punting the ball in the fourth quarter was or wasn’t the right call…

None at all.

On if he think McCowns was too cautious and passed up on some opportunities to take shots down the field…

No, I thought he did a good job yesterday.

On how he thinks Darron Lee played…

I thought there were a few plays he’d like to have back for sure. For the most part, he played fast. He made some things happen. Obviously, he had a few mistakes in there, but for the most part I thought he was alright.

On how he thinks Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye handled their first game…

I thought Jamal had an outstanding game. His eyes were good. He was physical. He played very smart. Minus one play, Marcus had a good ball game as well.

On which play Adams got a minus on…

I said Marcus had (a minus). As coaches, we talk about that. I don’t care to share that information.

On why Adams was outstanding…

It wasn’t so much just the plays. His eyes were good. His reads were good. Everything he did, he did it the right way. He made tackles when opportunities presented themselves. He made the plays he was supposed to make. He had a good ball game.

On how the defensive line played…

Obviously run fits, we’ll start there. We have to do better in the run game.

On how he would assess the play of Muhammad Wilkerson…

He had some good plays. He had some plays as well. We have to play better as a whole defense. We have to play better as a defensive line, linebackers and secondary.

On what gives him confidence that the team can make defensive fixes before Sunday…

They’re minor. They can be corrected. They’re self-inflicted. We’ll just go back, everybody watched the film and we understand what we did wrong. We’ll just go back to the drawing board and work on it. We’ll have it fixed by Sunday.

On if he anticipates any roster moves today or tomorrow…

Do I anticipate any? No, not at this time.

On if he anticipates any starting lineup changes this week…

I’ll see how practice goes and see what the game plan is. If I need to tweak it, I’ll tweak it.

On if his decision to punt in the fourth quarter was a debate for him…

If we would’ve gotten a little closer, I might have went for it but it was fourth and eight. That’s a tough pill to swallow right there. We had three timeouts and we were trying to win the field position. So, not much to talk about there.

On how he balances when to play conservative and when to take gambles…

Sometimes you talk to the coaches. Sometimes you go by the feel or the pulse for the game and see how well we’re moving the ball or not moving the ball. You make calculated decisions.

On if he feels like he needs to be more aggressive going forward…

I feel like I was fine yesterday.

Punting 4 minutes left at midfield down 2 scores is inexcusable. You're not even giving the team a tiny chance to win. He is a pussycake. When you're the least talented team in the league the one (only?) advantage you can gain is become unpredictable. But not Bowles. Same old conservative garbage we've seen out of these team for years. It's amazing that a team that never has the lead always plays like it is protecting a lead.

image.png

2 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

He sounds ok there.  I wanted him to go for it on fourth down but the distance was to great and by implication he knew the offense just couldn't make it.  

What more can you say? We are not a good team as has been repeated constantly out here.  

That is all. 

NO. NO. NO. It is close to impossible to win punting there. He has no clue. It is literally conceding the game. Might as well kneel. He does not understand the basics of time management and being 2 scores down.

It worries me that his first answer about watching film, what they need to do better, he talks defense immediately. Staying in our gaps.

HOW ABOUT SCORING SOME POINTS YOU MORON?!

You only gave up 21. That's not bad. If you have some scoring ability of your own.

But no, let's focus on why the Bills scored more than 12 points. If we'd just shut them out we'd have won.

Sigh ...

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

It worries me that his first answer about watching film, what they need to do better, he talks defense immediately. Staying in our gaps.

HOW ABOUT SCORING SOME POINTS YOU MORON?!

You only have up 21. That's not bad. If you have some scoring ability of your own.

But no, let's focus on why the Bills scored more than 12 points. If we'd just shut them out we'd have won.

Sigh ...

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Newsflash ... you need a QB to score

2018 is around the corner.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Punting 4 minutes left at midfield down 2 scores is inexcusable. You're not even giving the team a tiny chance to win. He is a pussycake. When you're the least talented team in the league the one (only?) advantage you can gain is become unpredictable. But not Bowles. Same old conservative garbage we've seen out of these team for years. It's amazing that a team that never has the lead always plays like it is protecting a lead.
image.png.041ee2c5940558ed59179025539339f7.png

Wow, they were down 2 scores when he punted?!

I was on vacation and watched the first half but passed out for a few and planned to watch the rest on DVR later this week. I assumed they were down 1 score when the punt call was made and thought it was justifiable.....down 2 scores at that point you have to go for it.

Even if they went for it and didn't get it they wouldn't be in a much worse position than if they just punted, being at midfield and all. Bowles sucks

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, papz187 said:

Wow, they were down 2 scores when he punted?!

I was on vacation and watched the first half but passed out for a few and planned to watch the rest on DVR later this week. I assumed they were down 1 score when the punt call was made and thought it was justifiable.....down 2 scores at that point you have to go for it.

Even if they went for it and didn't get it they wouldn't be in a much worse position than if they just punted, being at midfield and all. Bowles sucks

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

His excuse "I decided to trust my defense there." 

Of course he did. He's Rex Ryan's less accomplished brother from another mother. What's ridiculous is he would trust a unit that McCoy was mocking with his feet all game to be successful 3 times to force a 3-and-out while leaving enough time to score TWICE after that. That's more likely than the offense having a puncher's chance of converting one 8 yard play?? And if you don't trust the offense to at least do that, what's it matter anyway? Even if the defense gets the ball back for you, you'll be asking the same offense to maintain TWO scoring drives, with an onsides kick recovered inbetween, with NO TIMEOUTS.

Image result for inconceivable

He is lost out there and has no business being on an NFL sideline with the big boy job. The only reason he will enjoy employment for the full season is he helps the Jets goal of securing #1 overall.

4 hours ago, johnnysd said:

NO. NO. NO. It is close to impossible to win punting there. He has no clue. It is literally conceding the game. Might as well kneel. He does not understand the basics of time management and being 2 scores down.

Alas I felt like you concerning going for it. What is there really to say :( 

30 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

So do people agree Adams and Maye played well?  I wasn't able to watch.  

I know Maye got beat on the goalie for a TD, that's about it.

They are rookies and they played well. They are not going to be HoF players from day one, many are really upset that we didn't draft a QB, that is what criticism of them is all about not their ability.   

4 hours ago, johnnysd said:

He didn't want to win at that point. He wanted to keep the score respectable. He's trying to keep his job, nothing more nothing less. 

1 hour ago, Ken Shroy said:

I think it's close. Both are just clueless.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

This guy is a total moron.  Worst coach we've ever had, hands down.  

Bowles is worse than Rich Kotite.  Kotite had some success in Philly.  Great Defenses and Randall Cunningham.  Bowles is completely clueless.  I would be shocked if he knew why going for a 2 point conversion and failing in the 3rd Quarter was idiotic, unless you are playing for a tie.

Looking at the transcript of Bowles presser, it could be Bellichick. Share little, admit no actual mistakes, say we need to play and do better. I like it. **** the media and the fans. For the HC it has to be about the team and players in the locker room. Bowles is a football lifer who is not driven by his ego and has no illusions of  becoming a HC/GM or TV analyst. He totally understands his job this season is to improve the players in his charge while losing a sh*tload of games to prepare for the drafting of Sam Darnold or Josh Rosen.  His job is not to attempt miracle comebacks to win meaningless games that will only serve to frustrate the #1 goal this season i.e. get the #1 pick.

I know it's not popular, but I really like Todd Bowles, and do believe that he will become one of the better HC's in the NFL.

25 minutes ago, J-Diddy said:

Bowles is worse than Rich Kotite.  Kotite had some success in Philly.  Great Defenses and Randall Cunningham.  Bowles is completely clueless.  I would be shocked if he knew why going for a 2 point conversion and failing in the 3rd Quarter was idiotic, unless you are playing for a tie.

People would have absolutely lost their sh*t if Bowles had opted for the extra point when down by two, and for good reason.  He made the right call, and the only argument otherwise is based on 100% complete hindsight of both the attempt failing and a TD then being allowed.  Absolutely no head coach should be making their decisions based on the mindset of those things happening.

I don't particularly like the guy, and will be fine to have him gone, but this place has reached one of its nearly unreadable states given how completely full of crap people have become, desperately trying to whine about everything possible.  The late punt on its own is reason enough to be annoyed, as well as plenty of other decisions during and even before this game.  This one doesn't come close to making the list, and trying to force it to makes the argument insufferable.

3 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

So do people agree Adams and Maye played well?  I wasn't able to watch.  

I know Maye got beat on the goalie for a TD, that's about it.

It's impossible to grade Safeties from watching the game on TV, but Adams made two very big tackles late in the game to give us a chance. I am sure they will improve as the season goes on. 

16 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Looking at the transcript of Bowles presser, it could be Bellichick. Share little, admit no actual mistakes, say we need to play and do better. I like it. **** the media and the fans. For the HC it has to be about the team and players in the locker room. Bowles is a football lifer who is not driven by his ego and has no illusions of  becoming a HC/GM or TV analyst. He totally understands his job this season is to improve the players in his charge while losing a sh*tload of games to prepare for the drafting of Sam Darnold or Josh Rosen.  His job is not to attempt miracle comebacks to win meaningless games that will only serve to frustrate the #1 goal this season i.e. get the #1 pick.

I know it's not popular, but I really like Todd Bowles, and do believe that he will become one of the better HC's in the NFL.

You are one of the few posters I respect on this board. I agree that Bowles has the temperament, but his in game adjustments have been awful and his clock management is still sub-par in year 3. He has 15 more games to prove the Bowles-haters wrong. It's not about winning or losing, it's about making players better and not costing this team victories. 

13 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

People would have absolutely lost their sh*t if Bowles had opted for the extra point when down by two, and for good reason.  He made the right call, and the only argument otherwise is based on 100% complete hindsight of both the attempt failing and a TD then being allowed.  Absolutely no head coach should be making their decisions based on the mindset of those things happening.

I dunno about that, many old timers (me included) argue never go for 2 in a tight game until 4th quarter unless there is horrible rain or snow. Just too many things can happen rendering the risk of going for 2 that early reckless. That said there are plenty of things to criticize Bowles over and that one doesn't even make the top 100.

22 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Big difference is when Bellichick makes a bad call in a game, it's national news. When Bowles does, it's a message board joke.

1 minute ago, Sonny Werblin said:

You obviously forget his Cleveland years

Yeah so I guess we should bring in Bowles' pop warner days to defend him. Come on Bellichick is the GOAT at this point. Bringing up ancient history is admitting you got nothing.

Just now, jgb said:

Yeah so I guess we should bring in Bowles' pop warner days to defend him. Come on Bellichick is the GOAT at this point. Bringing up ancient history is admitted you got nothing.

coaches grow and get better, but even in 2015 Bellichick was not immune from making bad decisions

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-england-patriots/2016/01/13/bill-belichicks-7-worst-decisions-of-the-2015-season

1 minute ago, Sonny Werblin said:

coaches grow and get better, but even in 2015 Bellichick was not immune from making bad decisions

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-england-patriots/2016/01/13/bill-belichicks-7-worst-decisions-of-the-2015-season

Uh, re-read what I wrote, unless you prefer knocking down strawmen. Didn't say immune, I said when he does they become national news. When Bowles makes a bad decision, it's par for the course.

4 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Just looked through your link. Man I WISH Jets coaches could make "mistakes" like these!

Week 2 vs. Bills: Throwing the ball in the fourth quarter with a 37-25 lead

Week 3 vs. Jaguars: Letting Brady drive down the field with a 44-10 lead

Week 16 and 17: Kneeing going into the half

A Jets HC would have a statute in MetLife if these were his BEST moments!

13 minutes ago, jgb said:

Uh, re-read what I wrote, unless you prefer knocking down strawmen. Didn't say immune, I said when he does they become national news. When Bowles makes a bad decision, it's par for the course.

Fro the record, that was a Boston paper, not a national news outlet and Bowles error was also reported in the local media. So, it seems pretty equal attention-wise.

All coaches make bad decisions and there are plenty of more opportunities for bad decisions when coaching a bad team. IMO, Bowles has the ingredients to become a very good HC. If BB is the standard, people should pay attention to how he became what he is today. He was not a very good HC when he was first hired in Cleveland; he gained experience, he learned, he improved. Like Bowles he has no ego and no alternate career goal other than being a HC. 

29 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I don't particularly like the guy, and will be fine to have him gone, but this place has reached one of its nearly unreadable states given how completely full of crap people have become, desperately trying to whine about everything possible.  The late punt on its own is reason enough to be annoyed, as well as plenty of other decisions during and even before this game.  This one doesn't come close to making the list, and trying to force it to makes the argument insufferable.

no real advantage to go for 2 there.  u cant be serious?  that failed conversion made the game a 2 score game 9 points instead of 8 points (one score).  

Archived