Mike Caldwell and $125,000/game

varjet

I am going to post two highlight items of the day and move on with hopefully a productive day:

1)  The Jets have an Assistant Head Coach.  The Assistant HC is supposed to be an important person that gets more money and title to keep him from leaving.  The Jet's AHC is Mike Caldwell, who is also the Inside Linebackers Coach.  Last week, the Jets' Inside LBs played one of the worst games for that position in recent memory.  What makes it worse is that if you read last Friday's posts, myself and others predicted exactly what the Bills were going to do, but a 1st and 3rd round pick, plus our new safeties, could not stop it.  I think this is one of the things that hangs MacBowles.  We should make a list.

2)  There were some who believed that Macc could have gotten away with paying a bridge QB less.   I looked up what Hoyer is making, and it is not that far off from McCown.  But McCown receives a $125,000 bonus every time he starts.  It has been reported that that is the highest per game bonus in NFL history.  This should also be added to the list.

The Jets opted to keep McClendon and Skrine for another $10mm of cap space that could have been spent next year on an LT, WR or C.   We are now peeing away $125,000 for McCown.  I think Macc, or at this point interim GM Chris Johnson, should be scouting the practice squads for other teams for developmental QBs, and RBs.   The Jets GM should ice McCown and Forte so Bowles does not play him and make Bowles play the QBs who are already paid for.

This is a thread for tomorrow.  There are a few interesting names on here:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/nfl-practice-squad-salary-minimum-pay-how-much-2017-rules/1ogcj7f2emewr13zm4jrd0s45k

i'm no capologist but with over 50% of the cap available for next season they should have little trouble getting a number of top tier free agents.  the key is getting the right players and keeping the players who come to play each game. and the first discard to save cap space at this point is wilk.

Not sure how much you can bash Caldwell.  Lee was bad last year too.  They dumped both of last year's starters for financial and personal reasons and end up with Lee and Davis who they only got to save money.  I'm sure they don't think he is as good as Harris.  

I don't have any problem with benching McCown, but there are plenty of reasons for them to think the other two are not ready. Hoyer got his money because of the relationship with Shanahan who had him in Cleveland.  No reason to pay McCown as much - they are comparable, but Hoyer general ticks every box over McCown.  

I don't think cutting Skrine and McClendon would save anywhere near $10M.  They redid Skrine's deal to fit in Fitzpatrick and there is more bonus. Look what you made me do!  I looked it up.  Cutting McClendon saves a little over $2M, cutting Skrine $3.5M.  So you'd save a little over $5M.  More than I thought, but when you consider how thin we are at CB and how weak our interior D looked, not something I'd toy with either.  I know people think stiffs are stiffs, but there is a big difference between how bad we were on Sunday and our 2014 CB situation or 2012-2013 WRs.  You can't bottom out everywhere and it will not look good to the players left or prospective FAs.

Cap aside....  we have very little talent on the roster, very little to motivate those that are here, little reason to be motivated.

Good teams, besides a solid QB, have a system and get the most of their "B" players. We have almost none of our 1st or 2nd round picks for last 7 years on this team.

THAT is a WOODY JOHNSON signature stamp if I ever saw one.

I was the biggest supporter of MAC his 1st 2 years but it is clear he is not a GM that we can get excited about.

Bowles is perhaps one of the 3 worst HC's in the NFL.

1 hour ago, varjet said:

I am going to post two highlight items of the day and move on with hopefully a productive day:

1)  The Jets have an Assistant Head Coach.  The Assistant HC is supposed to be an important person that gets more money and title to keep him from leaving.  The Jet's AHC is Mike Caldwell, who is also the Inside Linebackers Coach.  Last week, the Jets' Inside LBs played one of the worst games for that position in recent memory.  What makes it worse is that if you read last Friday's posts, myself and others predicted exactly what the Bills were going to do, but a 1st and 3rd round pick, plus our new safeties, could not stop it.  I think this is one of the things that hangs MacBowles.  We should make a list.

2)  There were some who believed that Macc could have gotten away with paying a bridge QB less.   I looked up what Hoyer is making, and it is not that far off from McCown.  But McCown receives a $125,000 bonus every time he starts.  It has been reported that that is the highest per game bonus in NFL history.  This should also be added to the list.

The Jets opted to keep McClendon and Skrine for another $10mm of cap space that could have been spent next year on an LT, WR or C.   We are now peeing away $125,000 for McCown.  I think Macc, or at this point interim GM Chris Johnson, should be scouting the practice squads for other teams for developmental QBs, and RBs.   The Jets GM should ice McCown and Forte so Bowles does not play him and make Bowles play the QBs who are already paid for.

This is a thread for tomorrow.  There are a few interesting names on here:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/nfl-practice-squad-salary-minimum-pay-how-much-2017-rules/1ogcj7f2emewr13zm4jrd0s45k

The answer is he has no idea what he's doing. 

Explain putting Giacomini on PUP last year instead of cutting him on the last day. Even if you wanted him for later, it's not like there were a dozen teams breaking down his door even when he was younger and 100% healthy. He was easily re-signable for less, without guaranteeing the full year's salary in advance. Lol...$5m and his upside was playing 10 games -- and it's not like he was so good when healthy anyway. 

McLendon I could at least understand keeping, to have a respected veteran leader in the locker room and balance these kids watching Mo dogging it. I know you keep beating this drum like it's a big deal, or retaining Deon Simon like he's even a football player because he once stopped someone, but it's not going to make a difference. At around $2.5m, McLendon's net cost is relatively insignificant compared to the $100m+ (and counting) that Macc has already flushed down the toilet so far. Given the team makeup, I don't think it's unreasonable since they're not getting real leadership from Bowles or too many other Jets players.

Whatever the 31 year-old Hoyer gets is irrelevant. What is relevant is the next-highest bid for McCown was half (or was it less than half; I forget) what the Jets are paying him. He's a 38 year old QB who never had a prime. Even the freaking Browns didn't want him before they drafted a QB. 

Blame the HC all you want - he's deserving of plenty of criticism - but if we don't ever want these veteran players on the field then we shouldn't have them on the roster. This early in the season, one could even argue Bowles should be letting these kids beat someone out first, before simply rewarding them with unearned promotions to starters.

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The answer is he has no idea what he's doing. 

Explain putting Giacomini on PUP last year instead of cutting him on the last day. Even if you wanted him for later, it's not like there were a dozen teams breaking down his door even when he was younger and 100% healthy. He was easily re-signable for less, without guaranteeing the full year's salary in advance. Lol...$5m and his upside was playing 10 games -- and it's not like he was so good when healthy anyway. 

McLendon I could at least understand keeping, to have a respected veteran leader in the locker room and balance these kids watching Mo dogging it. I know you keep beating this drum like it's a big deal, or retaining Deon Simon like he's even a football player because he once stopped someone, but it's not going to make a difference. At around $2.5m, McLendon's net cost is relatively insignificant compared to the $100m+ (and counting) that Macc has already flushed down the toilet so far. Given the team makeup, I don't think it's unreasonable since they're not getting real leadership from Bowles or too many other Jets players.

Whatever the 31 year-old Hoyer gets is irrelevant. What is relevant is the next-highest bid for McCown was half (or was it less than half; I forget) what the Jets are paying him. He's a 38 year old QB who never had a prime. Even the freaking Browns didn't want him before they drafted a QB. 

Blame the HC all you want - he's deserving of plenty of criticism - but if we don't ever want these veteran players on the field then we shouldn't have them on the roster. This early in the season, one could argue Bowles should be letting these kids beat someone out first, before simply rewarding them with unearned promotions to starters.

Aboushi, Slausson and Ducasse are all on NFL rosters. Not saying they're superstars(spoiler alert; they're all average at best), but servicable guys the Jets could have kept at reasonable prices or had brought in to be OL JAG type guys.If you have a center and LT, you can fill in with these type OL guys. Alas, we now have neither  We don't even have JAGs on the OL right now, much less the tent poles at the  2 key OL slots. Knock Brick and Mangold all you want, but they haven't been replaced. 

5 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Aboushi, Slausson and Ducasse are all on NFL rosters. Not saying they're superstars(spoiler alert; they're all average at best), but servicable guys the Jets could have kept at reasonable prices or had brought in to be OL JAG type guys.If you have a center and LT, you can fill in with these type OL guys. Alas, we now have neither  We don't even have JAGs on the OL right now, much less the tent poles at the  2 key OL slots. Knock Brick and Mangold all you want, but they haven't been replaced. 

One of the worst examples of this was signing JAG UFA Jarvis Jenkins for millions, knowing he'd have also cost us the 3rd round comp pick for Snacks if he wasn't so horrible and we kept him, instead of just retaining Douzable for the NFL minimum and a $600K cap hit (knowing he wouldn't count in the UFA gained/lost calculations at that price).

We were due to lose all these UFAs that would have yielded the maximum 4 comp picks in 2017 (Snacks, Ivory, Davis, Powell, Fitz). That we ended up with just 1 pick - and again, even that was only because Jenkins was bad enough to justify cutting midseason after paying him millions - is just another glaring example of the guy not knowing what he's doing. 

59 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

One of the worst examples of this was signing JAG UFA Jarvis Jenkins for millions, knowing he'd have also cost us the 3rd round comp pick for Snacks if he wasn't so horrible and we kept him, instead of just retaining Douzable for the NFL minimum and a $600K cap hit (knowing he wouldn't count in the UFA gained/lost calculations at that price).

We were due to lose all these UFAs that would have yielded the maximum 4 comp picks in 2017 (Snacks, Ivory, Davis, Powell, Fitz). That we ended up with just 1 pick - and again, even that was only because Jenkins was bad enough to justify cutting midseason after paying him millions - is just another glaring example of the guy not knowing what he's doing. 

It is clearly clear that not only does Mac not know what he is doing, but the organization structure Woody has set up has put Macc in a position where he is "encouraged" to go along with players Bowles and his Cronies want.  

Williams worked out basically.  The Atlanta Falcons made the Super Bowl.  Their starting 3 "big linemen" took up $10mm of cap space, most to Dontari Poe (8) the rest Courtney Upshaw (1.1) and Grady Jarrett (.7).  They have Vic Beasley.  Mo, Leo and McClendon are well over 20.

Lee looks like a terrible pick, and my guess is that Adams is good but we would have preferred someone else.  How is Lattimore doing?

The 2 of them together have done an awful job managing the team's roster resources.  Someone needs to intervene to stop the bleeding so that a true build can start next year with as much resources as possible.

Archived