6 of the Jets Last 10 First Round Picks...

southtown24th

Are out of the NFL...

1. Gholston

2. Keller

3. Wilson

4. Milliner

5. Coples

6. Revis (for the sake of this exercise, he is out of the league)

What does this say about this organization? 6 yes 6 of the last 10 years worth of First Round Picks ARE NO LONGER PLAYING PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL.  That has to be some sort of record.

10 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

Are out of the NFL...

1. Gholston

2. Keller

3. Wilson

4. Milliner

5. Coples

6. Revis

What does this say about this organization? 6 yes 6 of the last 10 years worth of First Round Picks ARE NO LONGER PLAYING PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL.  That has to be some sort of record.

I mean I get what you're saying but if you go to 11 years it's 8/11 are out of the league. But that's fails to capture that there are 2 potential HOFers and a player that started every game of his career. 

Wilson, Milliner, Gholston and Coples... sheesh.

14 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

Are out of the NFL...

1. Gholston

2. Keller

3. Wilson

4. Milliner

5. Coples

6. Revis

When does Darron Flea backfill the list?

I get why posts like this exist... And I understand the sort of macabre satisfaction we get from rolling our eyes and cynically looking at the team and it's history... I think there's a place and a good reason for understanding why a team is terrible and the reasons behind that. And I think I even understand how it's kind of a way to release some anger and frustration by talking about it...

But I kind of don't care right now. It's a bummer, and it sucks... But we know that. I don't understand constantly rehashing it over and over and over thread to thread. 

I'd rather look forward to see what the plan can be ahead of us, instead of always looking back and scoffing.

But that's just me... There's no right or wrong way to fan! 

12 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

I get why posts like this exist... And I understand the sort of macabre satisfaction we get from rolling our eyes and cynically looking at the team and it's history... I think there's a place and a good reason for understanding why a team is terrible and the reasons behind that. And I think I even understand how it's kind of a way to release some anger and frustration by talking about it...

But I kind of don't care right now. It's a bummer, and it sucks... But we know that. I don't understand constantly rehashing it over and over and over thread to thread. 

I'd rather look forward to see what the plan can be ahead of us, instead of always looking back and scoffing.

But that's just me... There's no right or wrong way to fan! 

I got you but...I've watched this team on the edge of my seat in Giants Stadium and MetLife Stadium through the 90s and the 2000s and the 2010s...I got to a point this year where something had to change.  I was investing a great deal of money, time, energy, emotions, resources in this team and I was getting nothing, literally, nothing in return. Nada. Zip. Zilch. 0.  I relocated from NJ to LA in 2013 and the distance definitely took the edge off a bit but, it still hurt when I would tune in every Sunday to watch our beloved franchise blow it...again and again and again...This year, due to the lack of ROI over the past 10-15-20-25 years, I decided to step away from the franchise a bit, put a little distance between this team and myself, my emotions, my mind, my energy...it was time.  Like an abusive relationship, like a bad friend, like a cheating wife, put some distance...finally, take back the control. I missed all of Sunday's game in its entirety for the the very first time in 10-15 years (by design) and it felt good, it felt freeing, it felt liberating.  Now, I am here to discuss the "whys"...how did we get here? What made us get to this point? When and why did it get SO bad? Welp, look no further than our first round draft pick history over the past 10 years...you can start there...and that's exactly what I did...

Revis doesnt belong there.  But Pryor certainly does... even if another team for whatever reason decided to give him a try. He'll be out of the NFL for good before week 17.  Darron Lee is looking like a future addition.

You should add the 2nd round picks in the list too.

Where's the wiseass that thinks an intelligent fan couldn't do better than this?

1 minute ago, bealeb319 said:

Wonder how many future hall of famers all these other teams drafted in round 1

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

Funny you ask...let's look at the Giants for comparison...last 10 years:

1. Aaron Ross--out of the league

2. Kenny Phillips--out of the league

3. Hakeem Nicks--out of the league

4. JPP--2 time Pro Bowler

5. Prince Amukamara

6. David Wilson--out of the league

7. Justin Pugh

8. OBJ--3x Pro Bowler

9. Ereck Flowers

10. Eli Apple

Similar...but still not nearly as bad as the Jets

1 hour ago, southtown24th said:

Are out of the NFL...

1. Gholston

2. Keller

3. Wilson

4. Milliner

5. Coples

Compared to that list Mac has done a nice job.

2 hours ago, southtown24th said:

Are out of the NFL...

1. Gholston

2. Keller

3. Wilson

4. Milliner

5. Coples

Don't worry.  We made up for it with great 2nd round picks during that same time.

1 hour ago, JetsFanatic said:

Compared to that list Mac has done a nice job.

Really?  Devin Smith is already out of he NFL.  Hackenberg deserves to be out of the NFL.  Lorenzo Mauldin is hanging on to his roster spot by the skin of his teeth. Deon Simon is on practice squad and Darron Lee stinks and won't be in the NFL in a couple years.   The rest look like JAGs except for Leo

But yeah great draft record by Mac.

1 hour ago, southtown24th said:

Funny you ask...let's look at the Giants for comparison...last 10 years:

1. Aaron Ross--out of the league

2. Kenny Phillips--out of the league

3. Hakeem Nicks--out of the league

4. JPP--2 time Pro Bowler

5. Prince Amukamara

6. David Wilson--out of the league

7. Justin Pugh

8. OBJ--3x Pro Bowler

9. Ereck Flowers

10. Eli Apple

Similar...but still not nearly as bad as the Jets

Giants have had a similarly bad draft record but in addition to having a franchise QB Jerry Reese hit three home runs one in the draft (OBJ) and 2 in free agency (Snacks and Vernon)

6 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Giants have had a similarly bad draft record but in addition to having a franchise QB Jerry Reese hit three home runs one in the draft (OBJ) and 2 in free agency (Snacks and Vernon)

It's disingenuous to give the Giants credit for signing Harrison but not the Jets for signing him as UDFA.  You could, however, ding the Jets for letting him walk.  And if you are counting draft HRs, you'd have to credit the Jets with Revis and Leo, and partial credit for Mo and Sheldon who were great players for a few years at least.  Not defending the Jets front office, but it's easy to skew the facts to tell any story you want with a little work.

16 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Really?  Devin Smith is already out of he NFL.  Hackenberg deserves to be out of the NFL.  Lorenzo Mauldin is hanging on to his roster spot by the skin of his teeth. Deon Simon is on practice squad and Darron Lee stinks and won't be in the NFL in a couple years.   The rest look like JAGs except for Leo

But yeah great draft record by Mac.

Adams looks good, Maye looks good, Shell looks good, Robbie Anderson a FA walk-on looks good, Petty looks good, Lac Edwards looks good...... 

15 minutes ago, nycdan said:

It's disingenuous to give the Giants credit for signing Harrison but not the Jets for signing him as UDFA.  You could, however, ding the Jets for letting him walk.  And if you are counting draft HRs, you'd have to credit the Jets with Revis and Leo, and partial credit for Mo and Sheldon who were great players for a few years at least.  Not defending the Jets front office, but it's easy to skew the facts to tell any story you want with a little work.

Lenny Williams is a HR??!?!?!? WOW.  Music to my ears.  Williams and Revis shouldn't be typed on the same page, let alone next to eachother...that's wildly off base.

9 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Adams looks good, Maye looks good, Shell looks good, Robbie Anderson a FA walk-on looks good, Petty looks good, Lac Edwards looks good...... 

Petty "looks good"? Wouldn't be nice if he could ******* start for this team? That's what "looks good" means to me...actually plays in regular season games.  If he can't do that, then I can't count that, sorry.

3 hours ago, southtown24th said:

Are out of the NFL...

1. Gholston

2. Keller

3. Wilson

4. Milliner

5. Coples

my advice is not to look at the second rounders.  yes the first rounders haven't been great but at least they got some playing time out of most of them.

5 hours ago, southtown24th said:

Are out of the NFL...

1. Gholston

2. Keller

3. Wilson

4. Milliner

5. Coples

Don't forget, Calvin Pryor might as well be on that list. 

Even if we leave Revis off the list and go from 2008-2017 (10 years, 12 Jets first round picks)

5 are out of the NFL (as posted by OP) and 7 are still in the league, 2 barely, only 4 of 12 are still on the Jets; 

Sanchez - 3rd string backup for the Bears (potentially out of NFL in 2018)

Wilk - whereabouts unknown good starter when not counting money - potential cut in 2018

Pryor - traded for a former 3rd round pick of the Jets, Cut by the Browns, backup on the Jags (potentially out of NFL in 2018)

Shelly - traded for 2018 2nd round pick, potential good starter for Hawks

Leo - Yay, we got one

Lee - started 2017, jury is out

Adams - Rookie starter

2018 looks worse with the possibility of only 2 of the 12 picks starting for the Jets - assuming Leo and Adams would start for a new regime, Wilk and Lee would be on the bubble (assume new GM cuts the big contract and new defense determines fit for Lee)

14 hours ago, nycdan said:

Leo is good, not great.  He gets way too much love for his production on the field.  This is what happens when a team is utterly devoid of talent.  A decent player gets suddenly elevated to star status.  Fact is, he was a high draft pick at a position in which we were already stacked.  It could be argued that his acquisition led to the release of Snacks, who is a far superior player and likely an all-pro in the making.  So, in retrospect, drafting Leo was a dumbass move and a wasted pick.  he'll eventually demand more money than snacks due to his elevated draft position and overrated production, just like Wilkerson.  Mac's BAP at all costs mentality is mind-numbingly myopic in this situation.  Given he added a good player to lose a great one, and spent a pick he could've used elsewhere whit more value to the team, I would argue against those who gush over his pick of Leo.  

16 hours ago, southtown24th said:

I got you but...I've watched this team on the edge of my seat in Giants Stadium and MetLife Stadium through the 90s and the 2000s and the 2010s...I got to a point this year where something had to change.  I was investing a great deal of money, time, energy, emotions, resources in this team and I was getting nothing, literally, nothing in return. Nada. Zip. Zilch. 0.  I relocated from NJ to LA in 2013 and the distance definitely took the edge off a bit but, it still hurt when I would tune in every Sunday to watch our beloved franchise blow it...again and again and again...This year, due to the lack of ROI over the past 10-15-20-25 years, I decided to step away from the franchise a bit, put a little distance between this team and myself, my emotions, my mind, my energy...it was time.  Like an abusive relationship, like a bad friend, like a cheating wife, put some distance...finally, take back the control. I missed all of Sunday's game in its entirety for the the very first time in 10-15 years (by design) and it felt good, it felt freeing, it felt liberating.  Now, I am here to discuss the "whys"...how did we get here? What made us get to this point? When and why did it get SO bad? Welp, look no further than our first round draft pick history over the past 10 years...you can start there...and that's exactly what I did...

Nice post

17 hours ago, southtown24th said:

Ya I hear you, and again I want to say that I completely understand why posts like yours need to be out here, and I respect them. I think in a way it is therapeutic to try and figure out why we're here now... But for me, and maybe it's just because I watch and read way too much, I've heard it all before... It's like listening to the radio that plays the same song every 5 minutes (which some do, oddly...). We get it. We know what's up. 

But still, I do understand it. I just know at this point I've absorbed just about every "why" and reasons (both clear or unclear) why things went down hill as fast as they did, and how we're currently set up... And I just know right now, all I want to do is look ahead... Because I don't see anything else of value behind me... That doesn't mean there wasn't any value in those lessons and in understanding what the hell happened. It's definitely important!... It's just that that can only take being a fan so far. At somepoint we need to shake it off and look ahead.

Mistakes were made. Mistakes were discussed. Time to keep moving forward! 

3 hours ago, DMan77 said:

Ya I hear you, and again I want to say that I completely understand why posts like yours need to be out here, and I respect them. I think in a way it is therapeutic to try and figure out why we're here now... But for me, and maybe it's just because I watch and read way too much, I've heard it all before... It's like listening to the radio that plays the same song every 5 minutes (which some do, oddly...). We get it. We know what's up. 

But still, I do understand it. I just know at this point I've absorbed just about every "why" and reasons (both clear or unclear) why things went down hill as fast as they did, and how we're currently set up... And I just know right now, all I want to do is look ahead... Because I don't see anything else of value behind me... That doesn't mean there wasn't any value in those lessons and in understanding what the hell happened. It's definitely important!... It's just that that can only take being a fan so far. At somepoint we need to shake it off and look ahead.

Mistakes were made. Mistakes were discussed. Time to keep moving forward! 

Agreed.

But for me, this 2017-2018 has 0 to do with looking forward.  I, personally, will be able to begin "looking forward" once a franchise QB is DRAFTED, in place and starting games...then and only then will I be able to turn the mental/emotional page and get back to the couch on Sundays so I can see the bright future (hopefully) the young QB has in store for us.  This year is a complete wash for me.  April 26th, 2018 can not get here soon enough...anything between now and then is a waste of my time and energy, personally.

3 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

Agreed.

But for me, this 2017-2018 has 0 to do with looking forward.  I, personally, will be able to begin "looking forward" once a franchise QB is DRAFTED, in place and starting games...then and only then will I be able to turn the mental/emotional page and get back to the couch on Sundays so I can see the bright future (hopefully) the young QB has in store for us.  This year is a complete wash for me.  April 26th, 2018 can not get here soon enough...anything between now and then is a waste of my time and energy, personally.

I get that feeling, for sure!

Here's a suggestion... I know it's tough, but I think you should maybe try to pick a couple players and let yourself follow them much more closely than you would in a "normal" season... It's worth a shot!...

That's sort of where I am... I just can't wash over this season and shut down. I'm going to follow football, there's no getting away from it!...

So I've turned my focus off the record, the score, the disastrous overal roster, and instead put my focus on a few guys that I want to follow and see how well they grow and develop... I read stories just about them. Watch their specific highlights, etc... 

It's difficult! But it's at least making me be able to read some stories every now and then about certien guys, while at the same time stay disconnected and even-keeled about the season as a whole.

But if that's not your style, then maybe dive deeper into the college games. Thinking about the future and finding 'your' guys will help keep hope alive a little too... And it's a lot of fun to watch!

Archived