Next season...

JetFanatic

Sadly I'm already looking forward to next season which could have this team look a lot different but a good different.  If what we saw on Sunday happens to be what happens throughout the season then it's safe to say that we're landing one of the top QBs.  This team is young and the talent just isn't there yet so getting one of these top QBs is very realistic.  Let's say its Sam Darnold with Josh Rosen being a worse case scenario pick if Darnold were to stay in school or if we don't get the #1 overall pick.  So now we have a potential stud franchise QB in Sam Darnold or Josh Rosen.  

Let's say Allen Robinson is very unhappy in Jacksonville with Bortles and the quarterback situation and he wants out so let's say he played his last down as a Jaguar this past Sunday.  Allen Robinson is a Free Agent after this season.  The Jets are going into next season with a TON of money to hopefully spend on the right young Free Agents.  With what will most likely be an anemic offensive all season long due to injuries and the youth factor I can the Jets taking a long look at this kid depending on how he recovers from his injury.  He'll only be 25 next season and he's a stud.  Could we lure him in with the plan of having that young stud franchise QB in place and him being the focal point on offense?  Hopefully playing in New York with a management team that hopefully has a plan can bring him in here and I think there's a good chance that it happens if he doesn't resign.

So now we potentially have our franchise QB and an absolute stud receiver.  We have two 2nd round picks in this upcoming draft and with the rest of the CAP money they can fill a lot of holes on this team.  We have enough to sign 2 or 3 impact players along with resigning our own.  Hopefully we get Enunwa locked up.  We can realistically sign a LT or CB or OLB and fill in the rest of the gaps via the draft.  If I'm the Jets I'm taking a close look at what positions this upcoming draft will be strong in.  If there's a ton of solid OLBs and LTs coming out of this draft then I'm looking to sign a talented young CB and drafting the best LT available with our first 2nd round pick and drafting the best available OLB with our second 2nd round pick.  

I hate to already be looking to next season and I know there are a lot of 'what ifs' and 'lets says' but we have a high pick and a lot of money to spend in this upcoming offseason.  This season is going to be rough there's no doubt about it it's natural growing pains with a young team but there's going to be a lot of positive change coming up next season.

Everything is on the table next year but yes you're right the Jets need a whole bunch of weapons on offense. Robinson is dynamic, when he's healthy. Jets certinely don't have anyone close to his talent on the roster.

Personally I'm keeping my eye more on the offensive line possibilities more than WRs right now and next season... I think that's the way you build the offense... From the inside out. QB -> LINE -> WR... (With a look at RB somewhere in there too.)

Whoever plays QB next year needs to be protected and given way more time than we've seen them getting last season, this preseason, and the Buffalo game... Or it won't matter if we have the next 4 Jerry Rices out there at WR.

1 hour ago, DMan77 said:

Everything is on the table next year but yes you're right the Jets need a whole bunch of weapons on offense. Robinson is dynamic, when he's healthy. Jets certinely don't have anyone close to his talent on the roster.

Personally I'm keeping my eye more on the offensive line possibilities more than WRs right now and next season... I think that's the way you build the offense... From the inside out. QB -> LINE -> WR... (With a look at RB somewhere in there too.)

Whoever plays QB next year needs to be protected and given way more time than we've seen them getting last season, this preseason, and the Buffalo game... Or it won't matter if we have the next 4 Jerry Rices out there at WR.

Protection, and a run game, sign Lev Bell, and 2 of the top YOUNG OL talents that shake free to go with Darnold, or Rosen hopefully (still think the Jets will screw this up, and win 1 to many games, and pick 3rd thou, and we draft the best non QB in the draft yet again in Arden Key which would be awesome, but will be so heart breaking missing the QB's, I'm still in the camp of Darnold, and now Rosen, or bust I don't want the scraps, I want the main course, or starve.

Potentially a franchise QB...Jets still have 15 matches to screw the top QB things up on next draft.
Lot of cap space...that is just one thing again: if no solid players want to come here or teams can extend their star players, we won't be able to use that cap space.
Enunwa: at the moment, he doesn't deserve any new contract, let's just use tender on him next season, he had to prove a lot.
LT: We have Beachum who we can't cut without big dead money...
2nd round picks: better Macc not to be who will use them...

4 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Protection, and a run game, sign Lev Bell, and 2 of the top YOUNG OL talents that shake free to go with Darnold, or Rosen hopefully (still think the Jets will screw this up, and win 1 to many games, and pick 3rd thou, and we draft the best non QB in the draft yet again in Arden Key which would be awesome, but will be so heart breaking missing the QB's, I'm still in the camp of Darnold, and now Rosen, or bust I don't want the scraps, I want the main course, or starve.

Let me know when 2 top young OL talents shake free

19 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Fair enough, use both 2nd round picks on OL, and even maybe the 3rd rounder also.  Once you invest in that top 5 pick QB you gotta set him up to succeed.  Use the salary cap space for a RB, WR's, and a TE (Eifert, and Graham are FA's), and draft 3 OL in the 2nd, and 3rd round.

Also sign CB Trumaine Johnson from the Rams kid is a stud, and the Rams won't franchise him twice.

32 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Fair enough, use both 2nd round picks on OL, and even maybe the 3rd rounder also.  Once you invest in that top 5 pick QB you gotta set him up to succeed.  Use the salary cap space for a RB, WR's, and a TE (Eifert, and Graham are FA's), and draft 3 OL in the 2nd, and 3rd round.

Also sign CB Trumaine Johnson from the Rams kid is a stud, and the Rams won't franchise him twice.

I want to see how our line progresses during the year. We may just need to grab a center and a LT of the future.

Shell looks promising to me. Yes he got some help on Sunday but I think he'll get there by the end of the year.

We're stuck with Winters for better or worse. He'll be fine if we get a good center. 

TE may also work itself out. If not then you keep drafting. RB, of course we should have drafted the last couple of years and we need one next year. 

Yes CBs, Mlbs, WRs, guards, centers, and safeties are the positions you get in FA. You know after they've been coached up.

RBs TEs, QBs, edge rushers and tackles never seem to work out as FAs. 

8 hours ago, JetFanatic said:

Sadly I'm already looking forward to next season which could have this team look a lot different but a good different.  If what we saw on Sunday happens to be what happens throughout the season then it's safe to say that we're landing one of the top QBs.  This team is young and the talent just isn't there yet so getting one of these top QBs is very realistic.  Let's say its Sam Darnold with Josh Rosen being a worse case scenario pick if Darnold were to stay in school or if we don't get the #1 overall pick.  So now we have a potential stud franchise QB in Sam Darnold or Josh Rosen.  

Let's say Allen Robinson is very unhappy in Jacksonville with Bortles and the quarterback situation and he wants out so let's say he played his last down as a Jaguar this past Sunday.  Allen Robinson is a Free Agent after this season.  The Jets are going into next season with a TON of money to hopefully spend on the right young Free Agents.  With what will most likely be an anemic offensive all season long due to injuries and the youth factor I can the Jets taking a long look at this kid depending on how he recovers from his injury.  He'll only be 25 next season and he's a stud.  Could we lure him in with the plan of having that young stud franchise QB in place and him being the focal point on offense?  Hopefully playing in New York with a management team that hopefully has a plan can bring him in here and I think there's a good chance that it happens if he doesn't resign.

So now we potentially have our franchise QB and an absolute stud receiver.  We have two 2nd round picks in this upcoming draft and with the rest of the CAP money they can fill a lot of holes on this team.  We have enough to sign 2 or 3 impact players along with resigning our own.  Hopefully we get Enunwa locked up.  We can realistically sign a LT or CB or OLB and fill in the rest of the gaps via the draft.  If I'm the Jets I'm taking a close look at what positions this upcoming draft will be strong in.  If there's a ton of solid OLBs and LTs coming out of this draft then I'm looking to sign a talented young CB and drafting the best LT available with our first 2nd round pick and drafting the best available OLB with our second 2nd round pick.  

I hate to already be looking to next season and I know there are a lot of 'what ifs' and 'lets says' but we have a high pick and a lot of money to spend in this upcoming offseason.  This season is going to be rough there's no doubt about it it's natural growing pains with a young team but there's going to be a lot of positive change coming up next season.

So your plan relies on giving a multi year mega contract to Robinson who most likely has a torn ACL and re-signing Enunwa who has a serious neck injury as its two main proponents?  Lets look at those two factors first okay? ACL injuries typically take a year to heal. That means Robinson will miss all OTA's and most of TC. So he basically has no way to develop chemistry with that young QB the Jets will supposedly draft. Then Enunwa with the career threatening neck injury is the next guy you want to count on? Not to mention the fact that one or two impact players as you put it will have to be grossly overpaid to come to what will be A team that wins 3 games at the most. Then you want to rely on more rookie OLB's and OT's if they are available in next years draft? Yeah where do I sign up for that. The time to draft these players was LAST SEASON so when that young "stud" QB comes in he has players with a little experience under their belts so they aren't learning on the fly like that young QB will be. While a good try your plan is doomed to fail but at least you have a plan not like Macc. Macc has doomed whomever they draft to be their QB next year with hIs botched draft last year. That's if they even draft a QB. Macc will go for one of the FA QB's and have to overpay for that QB. He will then spend spend spend on mid-level talent because no top tier guys will want to play for what maybe a 1-3 win team with a clueless HC and a GM who is horribly over matched when it comes to judging talent. Don't worry though Macc will structure those contracts to be team friendly so the circus can start all over again in a few years.

Here's a plan:CLEAN HOUSE after the season. Macc Bowles and anyone with the exception of a few(Leo Adams etc) are gone. Draft that young QB and use those 2nd rounders on the offensive side of the ball. In fact no defensive player should be drafted until at least round 5. You let the young offensive skill players drafted grow together to form a solid core and then you piece in players from FA and the draft in future seasons. This is how a winner is built. It will take years but in the end it works. It is a solid formula that is so simple and is proven to work that it boggles the mind that anyone cannot see it. Macc obviously can't which is why he cannot be trusted with that high draft pick and all that cap space. Time to move on and break the cycle of idiocy that this team is mired down in.

8 hours ago, DMan77 said:

I agree.  I'm hoping they either draft offensive line help with both their 2nd round picks so long as they acquire a top end CB/OLB in Free Agency which should hopefully be possible with the money we'll have to spend.  We need to fill holes at almost every major impact position such as QB/LT/CB/OLB.  I think they'll draft the QB and LT and sign the CB and OLB.

7 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

Mac still here, no offense until the 3rd round.

This upcoming offseason needs to be all about the offensive of the ball.  I think they're aware of that and will go hard on getting John Morton some offensive weapons and solidifying the offensive.

6 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Same here.  The only QBs I want are Darnold or Rosen.  If not, I'm 100% for them drafting the #1 LT prospect with their top pick and getting a QB in the mid rounds.

6 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

You're predicting and hoping for everything that should happen.....which never happens. You should know better then that. 

But this time around it'll be hard to screw up.  Sadly they're going to be bad this season and it's okay.  There's no way this team isn't picking 1 or 2 so there's an extremely good chance we land one of the two QBs.  And with the money they have to spend I can't see them screwing up the Free Agency period.  Let's hope Morton get's to handpick some FAs that he wants and he gets some talent in here.  The way this is setting up I can't see even them screwing up.  Get your franchise QB which I believe, knock on wood, should be a lock.  Draft your LT with the top pick in the 2nd round.  So right there you have a potential franchise QB and LT.  Fill in the gaps via FA and the rest of the draft.  If they can come away with Darnold/Rosen in the 1st round and either Trey Adams/Martinas Rankin or even Hyatt (LTs) via the draft in the 2nd round and somehow land Allen Robinson I'm stoked!

We'd still have money to sign an impact OLB and CB and fill in some more holes via the draft.  Maybe draft a RB with our 3rd pick.

2 hours ago, Beki said:

Potentially a franchise QB...Jets still have 15 matches to screw the top QB things up on next draft.
Lot of cap space...that is just one thing again: if no solid players want to come here or teams can extend their star players, we won't be able to use that cap space.
Enunwa: at the moment, he doesn't deserve any new contract, let's just use tender on him next season, he had to prove a lot.
LT: We have Beachum who we can't cut without big dead money...
2nd round picks: better Macc not to be who will use them...

Okay I'm the most biased Jet fan out there and they're not winning more than 2 games this season.  Book it.  When it comes to money having a lot of it goes a long way in luring Free Agents.  We have a ton so I gotta believe we can pay for some young talent to come here.  Given on who it is I'm all for it.  I'm all for slightly overpaying someone like Allen Robinson to come here and help out either Darnold or Rosen.

I'm being positive with Enunwa and hoping that he comes back even better.

2 hours ago, NYs Stepchild said:

More likely that we get those with our two 2nd round picks.  I hope they go LT with our top pick in the 2nd round and go C/G with our second pick in the 2nd round.  Move Beachum over to RT and our line is looking a lot better and younger.

2 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

All for that.  That potential gets us Darnold/Rosen with LT and G in the 2nd round.  3rd round I would go OLB.  With the money like you said we can maybe sign a guy like Trumaine Johnson at CB, Allen Robinson at WR and maybe an Eifert coming off of a down year.  WOW!

1 minute ago, JetFanatic said:

All for that.  That potential gets us Darnold/Rosen with LT and G in the 2nd round.  3rd round I would go OLB.  With the money like you said we can maybe sign a guy like Trumaine Johnson at CB, Allen Robinson at WR and maybe an Eifert coming off of a down year.  WOW!

If those players leave their current team, good luck getting any to come here. Money talks, yes, but I don't see us getting more than 1 top player in FA. This is a multi year process. I think you are better off looking at the crop of FA's of the 2019 class for a big signing. FA is before the draft and with our QB's and lack of Oline no WR or TE will want to come here. I have a feeling Mac is going to use the 2018 class to get a group of players at positions of needs, not many "splash" signings. Heck maybe and entire Oline, lol.

If you think that they will do the right thing next year .....you might want to spend your time chasing rainbows and unicorns instead.

With all that cap money we could see if Bubby Brister is available then draft a defensive lineman number one or maybe a safety....

8 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Not taking Cook in the 2nd, warts and all, is gonna look real bad. The OL amy suck, but a primo back makes that a little more livable. Now we still have that hole. Safeties, man!

1 hour ago, JetFanatic said:

Same here.  The only QBs I want are Darnold or Rosen.  If not, I'm 100% for them drafting the #1 LT prospect with their top pick and getting a QB in the mid rounds.

I disagree.  If there's another QB other than Darnold or Rosen that rises near the top of the draft, the Jets have to draft him.  This team will continue to spin it's wheels and go nowhere without a QB. 

Teams are doing a much better job at managing their cap, thus you don't see a bunch of free agent "stud" olineman available or a pass rusher. The Wild West days of free agency are over. Sure a few guys get crazy contracts but for the most part the best players in this league get paid and get cut when their careers are coming to an end.

Thats why reading this board cracks me up. Hey, just sign Bell, Robinson (no way after an ACL), grab a couple stud olineman,lol, it's NOT that easy. Robinson wasn't even that good in 2015, I know, I had him in fantasy & he dropped a ton of balls & disappeared for games at a time. We need to find out if Stewart or Hansen can play. 

Macc needs to just concentrate on offense in 2018, and I completely agree that he needs to go after some CBs. With 90 million you go after Trumain Johnson or Butler from the Pats. Premier positions if you don't get lucky in the draft you gotta pay for them. 

We'll need a replacement for Skrine & Id take Butler in a NY minute. You put Butler in a slot position (strong/tough minded) with these 2 young safeties in Adams/Maye after a full season in this league & that's a huge upgrade.

We might cut Wilkerson & eat 8 million unless we can get someone to trade for him & we eat less. I don't want any free agent money spent on players at the end of their careers, so the pickings will be slim & im sure we'll need to overpay a bit but that's fine, we're not paying a QB 25 million. 

1 hour ago, JetFanatic said:

Lol madden is fun isn't it. That would take a miracle for this team to acquire that much offense in one off season. With Bowles around, that's a long shot. Hope I'm wrong though. 

Allen Robinson is an excellent target, and I think Donte Moncrief would be a good alternate target -- he's actually done OK despite playing in the INDY sh*t show

24 and under 2018 UFA WRs

Sammy Watkins WR 24 LA                  
Davante Adams WR 24 GB                  
Allen Robinson WR 24 JAC                  
Jarvis Landry WR 24 MIA                  
Donte Moncrief WR 24 IND                  
De'Anthony Thomas WR 24 KC                  

Allen Robinson is frustrated with the Jags QB situation, so he is going to come here?  Is he insane?  Free agency is before the draft.  

8 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

still think the Jets will screw this up, and win 1 to many games, and pick 3rd thou, and we draft the best non QB in the draft yet again

2 hours ago, dbatesman said:

ding ding ding

You mean we will be so lucky that the top player in the draft will fall to us?  Again?  

Archived