14 point dogs sunday

johnnyjet

9 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Sadly the owner is the only hire/fire decision maker when it comes to the HC.  

If Mac wants to keep his job he's going to have to show he can be an Alpha. I don't think Woody would be too difficult to convince if he had some conviction.

I'd say something like

"In order for this franchise to move forward we need a coach that can command the attention of the team. We already got rid of all the strong personalities in the locker room and Bowles still seems like the smallest man in the room.

Give me control of the team and if we're not heading in the right direction by the end of the year then you can fire me too. I believe my guys can surprise you if they were given a chance. Adversity reveals character. Bowles has revealed his and it's keeping the players from revealing theirs.

We're just treading water with this coach, and the fact that he seems content with that should show you all you need to know. No one is coming to rescue us and we need to sink or swim."    

41 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

You underestimate Bowles ability to run out the clock. I believe we will beat the spread in every game this year while we lose them all. That is what Todd will hang his hat on. 

This is exactly his strategy. He wants to "keep the game close". They had no chance in the Bills game and were dominated, but he "kept it close" because "you never know" and only "needed one play". The Jets will be blown out more than once, but they'll be dominated often, but able to "keep it close" on the scoreboard.

51 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

If Mac wants to keep his job he's going to have to show he can be an Alpha. I don't think Woody would be too difficult to convince if he had some conviction.

I'd say something like

"In order for this franchise to move forward we need a coach that can command the attention of the team. We already got rid of all the strong personalities in the locker room and Bowles still seems like the smallest man in the room.

Give me control of the team and if we're not heading in the right direction by the end of the year then you can fire me too. I believe my guys can surprise you if they were given a chance. Adversity reveals character. Bowles has revealed his and it's keeping the players from revealing theirs.

We're just treading water with this coach, and the fact that he seems content with that should show you all you need to know. No one is coming to rescue us and we need to sink or swim."    

Nice post.

Do you think Mac should have to option to fire Bowles and if so who, at this late stage, would be his replacement.  If not then you just want Mac to have a much larger say on starters vs backups.  The later I suppose is the was he'd have to go.  

Just now, LIJetsFan said:

Nice post.

Do you think Mac should have to option to fire Bowles and if so who, at this late stage, would be his replacement.  If not then you just want Mac to have a much larger say on starters vs backups.  The later I suppose is the was he'd have to go.  

I don't know all the coaches personally but Morton would be the obvious choice as interim. 

I don't know that you need experience to be a HC as much as you need passion, leadership confidence, and competence.

He can learn on the job along with the rest of the team. It's a hail Mary for sure but it could get the team a head start on next year.

Just like the players, we can experiment with the coaches. Give them an opportunity to show us what they can do and get them some experience. Polish them up and see if they have any shine.

This is a year to see what we have before we throw the baby out with the bathwater. 

1 hour ago, NYs Stepchild said:

You underestimate Bowles ability to run out the clock. I believe we will beat the spread in every game this year while we lose them all. That is what Todd will hang his hat on. 

We will set a new record for 3 and outs. Also, this D will get exposed against the Raiders. over 21 points.

26 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

This is exactly his strategy. He wants to "keep the game close". They had no chance in the Bills game and were dominated, but he "kept it close" because "you never know" and only "needed one play". The Jets will be blown out more than once, but they'll be dominated often, but able to "keep it close" on the scoreboard.

When you're completely out gunned by teams that are much more talented than you are, is this really all that bad a strategy?

I don't see how Bowles survives beyond this year.  The talent level of the team isn't his fault, but the way he manages the games, develops the young players, and manages the locker room fall on his shoulders, and he's done nothing to show that he can handle any of those aspects. 

4 minutes ago, gEYno said:

When you're completely out gunned by teams that are much more talented than you are, is this really all that bad a strategy?

Don't be silly.  Clearly if Bowles pushed the worst of the worst into the starting lineup and had them lead the team to a glorious blowout of epic proportions, he would gain the full support of the fans, players, and owner.

3 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Don't be silly.  Clearly if Bowles pushed the worst of the worst into the starting lineup and had them lead the team to a glorious blowout of epic proportions, he would gain the full support of the fans, players, and owner.

If a coach the fans liked employed this identical strategy, the narrative would be, "The team lacks talent, Coach recognizes this, and is keeping the games close and putting us in a position to possibly win at the end of the game.  It's genius, really."  But, because it's Bowles, it's stupid.

Ya... Again, and I'll say it every week - I'm not looking at the score, I'm looking at the individual players and units this year. I don't care what the spread is, or what the score is... We know these guys are terrible and arguably the worst team in football.

But when you zoom in there are some things to look at... Do our safeties improve? Does Powell get more touches? Does the special teams continue to look better? Do the younger guys on the line step up here and there? Do some of our rookie WRs make some noise?

They're not going to win... They'll likely get completely blown out... But I'll still look for solid performances and for guys who might turn out to be a part of this teams longterm future. 

15 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Nice argument. Clearly what we're saying is that this is exactly what Bowles is thinking and trying to avoid. 

Spineless and selfishly trying not to be embarrassed so the fans only don't like him instead of laughing at him. That's the new age for you.

No one has any balls nowadays and people are okay with that. As long as no one gets their feelings hurt all is right with the world. 

3 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Nice argument. Clearly what we're saying is that this is exactly what Bowles is thinking and trying to avoid. 

Spineless and selfishly trying not to be embarrassed so the fans only don't like him instead of laughing at him. That's the new age for you.

No one has any balls nowadays and people are okay with that. As long as no one gets their feelings hurt all is right with the world. 

Yeah, you really pinned me down.  You totally didn't prove the point by going on a bat-sh*t crazy personal rant that has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Clearly you just taught everyone the right way to act; throw a hissy fit on a message board, just like the good ole days!

17 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Yes. This isn't golf and you don't get style points. You don't get a check for making par so there's no reason to lay up. 

No one is insinuating that at all.  The point is, the Jets are a historically bad team.  Maybe the best chance they have to win is being in a game late and either getting a lucky break or making a play at the right time.

2 hours ago, papz187 said:

Agree..... play the young guys and let McCown lead and provide support on the sidelines.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Our young guys are going to get smashed behind this OLine... It's bad. It'll happen eventually but I'm alright with them playing MC until maybe the line learns to play together a LITTLE bit better...

28 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Yeah, you really pinned me down.  You totally didn't prove the point by going on a bat-sh*t crazy personal rant that has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Clearly you just taught everyone the right way to act; throw a hissy fit on a message board, just like the good ole days!

Guess I hurt your feelings. Sorry about that.

I got in Weds when the Jets were only 13.5 point dogs.  It doesn't really matter though. There's no way they are flying 3000 miles to play on that dirt infield (for the last time, thank goodness) and lose by less than 2 TDs. It's just not going to happen for the Jets on the road in that stadium, against that loaded OAK team. They are going to brutalize the Jets. We all know it. Might as well profit off it. 

Archived