History Repeating Itself?

CanadaSteve

After the two years of John Idzik's tenure, h cleared out a LOT of cap space, but as we all know, drafted poorly.

Whether you agree or not, Mike Maccagnan is on thin ice.  He too this year cleared a LOT of cap space and jettisoned many veteran contracts.

Will history repeat itself?  Another GM coming in who will get a clean slate?  If the cap goes up even slightly to $170 million next year, the Jets will have roughly $60+ million as of now, with another $20 million in contracts that can be cut.  That, along with what is likely a top 3 pick in all the rounds, you have to wonder: IF Woody wants to clean slate (again), would $60-80 million dollars in cap space at top picks in each round of the draft be enough to persuade a solid veteran GM to move to the Big Apple?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

$60M + about $17M in carry over + between $15M - $20M in cuts puts us between $95 and $100M in cap space as it is now.  

Problem is that I don't see any pending free agents that are a legitimate LT or pass rusher.  

Regardless of what Woody does, he better make damn sure that we get our QB next April.  Anyone recommending to do what Cleveland has done the past two seasons should be fired on the spot.

9 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

... would $60-80 million dollars in cap space at top picks in each round of the draft be enough to persuade a solid veteran GM to move to the Big Apple?

You may be forgetting about the cap space from this season that gets carried over.  Last I checked, w/o cutting anyone else next year, we'd have around 85 mil free I think.  Then when ya add in the likely cuts, it approaches 100mil.

The value of cap space means a whole lot less than it used to. The rookie scale and increased cap limits really pretty much made it so teams can keep their own guys and the guys that make it to market are either solid talents looking for huge paydays on winning teams or are mediocre talents looking for paydays on any team. 

That's why i think you are seeing more trades and increased valuation of draft picks. 

17 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

Macc has another year, at least. He's not getting fired. I know people think he's the devil incarnate, but he's not getting the boot. 

If his draft picks don't show improvement over the course of the season, I think the organization is completely justified in replacing him. No GM that goes 3-13 in year three of his tenure should feel safe, no matter what the circumstances are.

Just now, ChuckkieB said:

If his draft picks don't show improvement over the course of the season, I think the organization is completely justified in replacing him. No GM that goes 3-13 in year three of his tenure should feel safe, no matter what the circumstances are.

Pretty sure they have an agreement in place behind the scenes. They went all-in on the rebuild and I think that comes with one more shot at the draft for MM.

Everything about the New York Jets is history repeating itself and they never learn their lesson.  Doesn't matter the HC or GM, stupidity runs rampant throughout the organization.

Example of the Jets not learning from history:

Under qualified Defensive Coordinators becoming 1st time Head Coaches.  

Under qualified "Front office/personnel guys" becoming 1st time GM's.

Defense, defense, defense, defense in the 1st round.

sh*tty veteran QB, after sh*tty veteran QB "bridging the gap" to no one.  

Drafting players who excelled a certain position/play in college and asking them to do something else in the pro's.

Constantly ignoring the obvious measurements at the combine for pas rushers.

Bringing in old washed up veterans and relying heavily on them...see the current; Matt Forte

Playing sh*tty veterans for no reason.

Doesn't matter the year, the coach, the GM - its the same damn thing, over and over and over and over and over again...

Then there is the wild card to all the conjecture with Woody's brother running the show. He has no track record we can draw upon so really anything can happen. 

Maybe he starts feeling his oats stepping out of Woody's shadow and starts channeling AL Davis or George Steinbrenner or Ted Stepian and just runs bat sh!t nuts and roughshod through the franchise.

Could be fun.

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

Everything about the New York Jets is history repeating itself and they never learn their lesson.  Doesn't matter the HC or GM, stupidity runs rampant throughout the organization.

Drafting players who excelled a certain position/play in college and asking them to do something else in the pro's.

Bringing in old washed up veterans and relying heavily on them...see the current; Matt Forte

Doesn't matter the year, the coach, the GM - its the same damn thing, over and over and over and over and over again...

So why the **** are you still a fan then, old habits?

2 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

So why the **** are you still a fan then, old habits?

I'm loyal to a flaw.  But yeah, they're my childhood team.  My entire family follows them blindly.  I was going to Jets practices at Hofstra before I even know what Football was.  I'm not going to up and start rooting for another team because the Jets are a disaster of an organization.  I'm with them ride or die.  

Hopefully one day in my life they win a Super Bowl and the wait will make it all that much better.  Isn't that why we're all still fans of this sh*tty ass team?

35 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Terry Bradway worked here for 14 years. Jeff Bauer for i think 12. To be fair, they both presumably were piping hot candidates for other nfl jobs, right? 

If the Jets have shown anything, you don't need to be good at your job for 5 years plus. Source: Jets. 

Yeah. I've always thought the most likely scenario is that Bowles gets fired and we entrust Maccagnan's dumb ass with a a billion dollars of cap space, a top-three pick, and a head coaching hire, simply because it's the dumbest possible outcome.

If this season goes as bad as it looks it will be there has to be a scapegoat which in my mind will be Bowles.  I think the way Macc has cleaned house he at least gets another year with his HC.   The only problem with that plan is what type of HC is going to want to work with a lame duck GM?  That's why IMO they either both go or both stay, learn from the Idzik/Rex debacle.  

27 minutes ago, JiF said:

I'm loyal to a flaw.  But yeah, they're my childhood team.  My entire family follows them blindly.  I was going to Jets practices at Hofstra before I even know what Football was.  I'm not going to up and start rooting for another team because the Jets are a disaster of an organization.  I'm with them ride or die.  

Hopefully one day in my life they win a Super Bowl and the wait will make it all that much better.  Isn't that why we're all still fans of this sh*tty ass team?

This....   I am really down on the JETS right now but I won't root for any other team.   

37 minutes ago, JiF said:

100% accurate. Lol, our offensive game plan this week was have the washed up vet laser focus on the two veteran receiving targets on every play, and run the washed up running back over the better guys. Bowles......

The vast majority of a fan base hating on a HC who can't win with what that same fan base considers the "Worst Roster in the league"  . The vast majority of this same fan base willing to give the GM of the worst roster in the league the benefit of the doubt over the hated HC if one of the 2 men are to be sacrificed  in a down year .

What this fan base fails to realize is that both men proved they can work together and win when they assembled a veteran team that won 10 games in their maiden season . That needed to be done to rove to the ownership that it could be done . Now, it's time to tear down the old, and build a new house . I wonder what Cowboys stadium looked like the 1st few months into construction . I wonder if it resembled anything like what the current stadium looks like today. 

For that matter, does anyone remember the team Jason Garrett inherited or who it was that was assembling that team .  How does that team compare to the team Garrett is coaching today ? I wonder if the GM and the HC fans were calling terrible and other adjectives is still running that team .

6 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

The vast majority of a fan base hating on a HC who can't win with what that same fan base considers the "Worst Roster in the league"  . The vast majority of this same fan base willing to give the GM of the worst roster in the league the benefit of the doubt over the hated HC if one of the 2 men are to be sacrificed  in a down year .

What this fan base fails to realize is that both men proved they can work together and win when they assembled a veteran team that won 10 games in their maiden season . That needed to be done to rove to the ownership that it could be done . Now, it's time to tear down the old, and build a new house . I wonder what Cowboys stadium looked like the 1st few months into construction . I wonder if it resembled anything like what the current stadium looks like today. 

For that matter, does anyone remember the team Jason Garrett inherited or who it was that was assembling that team .  How does that team compare to the team Garrett is coaching today ? I wonder if the GM and the HC fans were calling terrible and other adjectives is still running that team .

You honestly believe that the 10 win season 2 years ago was by a well coached, intelligent and motivated team? Please. We had literally the EASIEST schedule in NFL history that year. That season was a total fluke winning despite the efforts of Bowles.

1 hour ago, Pcola said:

$60M + about $17M in carry over + between $15M - $20M in cuts puts us between $95 and $100M in cap space as it is now.  

Problem is that I don't see any pending free agents that are a legitimate LT or pass rusher.  

Regardless of what Woody does, he better make damn sure that we get our QB next April.  Anyone recommending to do what Cleveland has done the past two seasons should be fired on the spot.

Cleveland has been tanking since it returned. You don't copy those bums. 

1 hour ago, Jet9 said:

I actually disagree complete with this. 

Just because some fans are upset with him doesn't mean he hasn't already been given assurances behind closed doors that he's free to do what he thinks needs to be done to re-build this team.

2 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Just because some fans are upset with him doesn't mean he hasn't already been given assurances behind closed doors that he's free to do what he thinks needs to be done to re-build this team.

Just because a coach has been given assurances (behind closed doors or otherwise) that he's free to do what he thinks needs to be done to re-build a teams doesn't mean he isn't going to be fired in the off-season.

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

You honestly believe that the 10 win season 2 years ago was by a well coached, intelligent and motivated team? Please. We had literally the EASIEST schedule in NFL history that year. That season was a total fluke winning despite the efforts of Bowles.

I don't believe anything, I just watch the games and when the game is over, I watch the next game . I may fall asleep during the next game, but then that's just me . I try not to think that I'm smarter than the next guy especially when I really don't know much about him .  

Do you know why accidents happen on roadways .

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

Just because a coach has been given assurances (behind closed doors or otherwise) that he's free to do what he thinks needs to be done to re-build a teams doesn't mean he isn't going to be fired in the off-season.

Entirely possible, but to say he's assuredly on thin ice is a bit silly IMO.  It's 100% speculation/wishful thinking.

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

After the two years of John Idzik's tenure, h cleared out a LOT of cap space, but as we all know, drafted poorly.

Whether you agree or not, Mike Maccagnan is on thin ice.  He too this year cleared a LOT of cap space and jettisoned many veteran contracts.

Will history repeat itself?  Another GM coming in who will get a clean slate?  If the cap goes up even slightly to $170 million next year, the Jets will have roughly $60+ million as of now, with another $20 million in contracts that can be cut.  That, along with what is likely a top 3 pick in all the rounds, you have to wonder: IF Woody wants to clean slate (again), would $60-80 million dollars in cap space at top picks in each round of the draft be enough to persuade a solid veteran GM to move to the Big Apple?

The Jets are going to have over 90mm I believe with minimal cutting.

Macc is fine.  The so called terrible drafts are a grotesque exaggeration and he's doing this year what he needs to do to set us up going forward.  Woody all but admitted he's taking Maccs advice doing this the right way.

I'm fine with Macc getting an extension and picking a coach with some gravitas.

The only exception would be if a TOP HC comes free and will only sign if he brings in a GM. 

Idzik and Fitzpatrick have been the 2 biggest failures of this organization the last decade.

37 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Despite a Jets 2016 offense that was almost as terrible as the 2017 version, Bowles was grinning ear to ear on draft day about 2 safeties. And why not; he ahs never given 2 sheets about the offense. He's been allowed by the owner to pretend to be a HC, but he's a glorified DC who has farmed out the offense each season. 

They won 10 games in 2015 because of a weak schedule and Fitz having a career year. 

The HC and the GM in the Jets' structure (and that's really bending a definition) report separately to the owner. They were hired separately. So they by design do not work together,as happens with every other NFL team. 

40 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

One of the biggest parts of being a Head Coach is making in-game decisions such as: Clock Management, punting vs. going for 4th Down; when to go for two points, etc.. These are situational choices with clear right and wrong decisions. A good HC will make the right decision more often than not. That has nothing to do with whether it actually succeeds or not on the field. Bowles has shown he consistently makes the wrong choice because he has no awareness of risk vs reward, foresight into how the decision will affect the latter stage of the game, and sometimes because he forgets how many points his own team is down. 

All of this has nothing to do with wins or losses or the talent level of the players on the team. 

1 minute ago, JetFreak89 said:

One of the biggest parts of being a Head Coach is making in-game decisions such as: Clock Management, punting vs. going for 4th Down; when to go for two points, etc.. These are situational choices with clear right and wrong decisions. A good HC will make the right decision more often than not. That has nothing to do with whether it actually succeeds or not on the field. Bowles has shown he consistently makes the wrong choice because he has no awareness of risk vs reward, foresight into how the decision will affect the latter stage of the game, and sometimes because he forgets how many points his own team is down. 

All of this has nothing to do with wins or losses or the talent level of the players on the team. 

And who or what determines when a decision is right or wrong ?  A QB throws into double coverage and the result is a TD. Did he make the right decision ?  Going for 2 is a subjective decision . There's no etched in stone correct way, just coach's choice . Seriously, do you think a coach forgets how many points his team is behind . Do you know why accidents happen on roadways  ? 

28 minutes ago, Pac said:

Macc is fine.  The so called terrible drafts are a grotesque exaggeration and he's doing this year what he needs to do to set us up going forward.  Woody all but admitted he's taking Maccs advice doing this the right way.

I'm fine with Macc getting an extension and picking a coach with some gravitas.

The only exception would be if a TOP HC comes free and will only sign if he brings in a GM. 

Idzik and Fitzpatrick have been the 2 biggest failures of this organization the last decade.

It is clear that Macc has been outperformed by his peers in at least the last 2 drafts.

His philosophy in selecting players also seems to be stuck from his prior job as a Scout.

A Scout grades players in terms of their likelihood of NFL success.  Macc apparently drafts in a vacuum, trying to go off of grades without weighing relative positional value.

In a league where teams have built from the inside out, Macc seems to think he can build from the outside in.

His Hack pick in particular is at best a gross overdraft, and at worst is dereliction.

My guess is that he is a good scout, just like Idzik is a good contract executive.  Maybe he learns from this and develops into a capable GM.  But at the moment, with 100mm to spend and top draft picks to make, he needs at best a boss, and at worst replacement.

Archived