Jets vs Raiders Week 2 Preview

JetNation

IMG_5633.jpg

The New York Jets get ready to fly out west to take on the 1-0 Oakland Raiders in a game that most forecasters are predicting will be a lopsided Raiders win.  Here’s a look at some of the key match-ups Jets fans should keep an eye on.

Who: NY Jets (0-1) vs Oakland Raiders (1-0)

When: Sunday at 4:05 pm

Where: Oakland Coliseum

Point Spread: Jets +14

The Coaches: 

IMG_1835-300x236.jpg

Under heavy scrutiny following some questionable decisions in week 1, Todd Bowles and the Jets look to bounce back.

Jets head coach Todd Bowles looks to bounce back after a rough opening day loss in Buffalo in which he made baffling decisions both before and during the game.  Bowles deactivated the better of his two back up quarterbacks and kept his best offensive player, Bilal Powell, on the bench for almost the entire first half.  With Khalil Mack getting ready to spend his day harassing Josh McCown, it’ll be interesting to see if Bowles goes with Hackenberg again, who would be unlikely to convert a first down if called in to action against the Raiders in a hostile environment for his first NFL action.

Raiders coach Jack Del Rio is feeling good right about now.  His team is off to a 1-0 start, his dynamic young quarterback has a new weapon in Marshawn Lynch out of the backfield, and one of the league’s best pass rushers, Khalil Mack, is about to go head-to-head with one offensive tackles who’s still a bit wet behind the ears in Brandon Shell, and Kelvin Beachum who isn’t much better than average at the moment.

With that being said, let’s move on to key matchups.

Jets OT’s vs Khalil Mack:  This game has the potential to get ugly in a hurry and Mack is the biggest reason for that as he’ll likely spend most of the day terrorizing Jets quarterbacks.  We use the plural form as it will come as a surprise to absolutely no one if Josh McCown doesn’t make it through all four quarters.  Shell has played very well in just a handful of NFL starts, but he’s never had to face a player on Mack’s level.  Beachum is the experienced veteran at left tackle, but without some help, he’ll have a hard time handling Mack as well.

IMG_0297-300x200.jpg

The Jets will need better play from Demario Davis at inside linebacker.

Marshawn Lynch vs Demario Davis and Darron Lee: The thought of Darron Lee having to tussle with Marshawn Lynch coming up the middle is a frightful one, and if they were smart, the Raiders would use an extra blocker elsewhere, and let Lynch lower the boom on Lee a few times to see how interested Lee is in doing that all day. Lynch is as tough a runner to bring down as there is, and if the Jets are going to have any luck in slowing him down at all, they’ll need better play than what they got last week against the Bills when Buffalo had their way running it up the middle all day long.

Morris Claiborne vs Amari Cooper: The Raiders have no shortage of young superstars and Cooper may end up being the best of the bunch.  Claiborne and fellow cornerback Juston Burris had it relatively easy last week when they faced a less than stellar group of receivers up in Buffalo.  This week, it’s Cooper leading the way with Michael Crabtree on the other side.

Juston Burris vs. Michael Crabtree: Regardless of the outcome in this one, Burris, whose game has looked best inside the red zone since being drafted last season, could be called upon to go man-to-man with Crabtree, who Carr likes in the red zone.  This could make for some interesting battles.

Buster Skrine vs. Michael Crabtree: As mentioned above, Crabtree versus Burris in the red zone in three receiver sets should be interesting, but when the Jets are in base defense and the Raiders have two receivers, it should be Skrine against Crabtree.  The way he’s playing right now, you couldn’t Skrine to cover a corpse at a crime scene, so it could be a big day for Crabtree.

IMG_1654-300x200.jpg

Buster Skrine continues to struggle in coverage in Todd Bowles’ defense.

Jets D-line vs. Oakland O-line: Jets defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson didn’t do much of anything last week, so if he doesn’t pick things up, it’s going to provide Lynch with another soft spot in the Jets defense.  Leonard Williams and Kony Ealy, meanwhile, were disruptive up front against the Bills.  Overlooked because of a frustrating defeat last week was the number of times the Jets defensive line (and linebackers) had Bills quarterback Tyrod Taylor on the run.  This is the one group that has a chance to make a game of it this Sunday.  If Ealy and Williams set the tone up front and make life easier on the pass rushing ‘backers, they could stop this one from running away from the Jets.  Easier said than done however, as the Raiders boast one of the top offensive lines in the NFL.

Prediction:

Oakland 42 Jets 10

The Jets have trouble flying out to the west coast and it’s hard to envision a scenario in which they’re able to move the ball against the Raiders.  It’s going to be a theme for this season.  A tired defense is going to struggle against an even average offense, and the Raiders are far from average.  Good luck stopping Marshawn Lynch in the fourth quarter when you’re running on fumes.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
mTV2xrTGy8o

Click here to read the full story...

On the road for the home opener in the Black Hole.... yeesh. So this is about as bad a match up as it gets. Not even the most optimistic fan could look at this one and see a W heading into the season. 

Low expectations going in here. It'd be nice if Shell could even somewhat compete with the best edge player in the league or if Lee could not be caught out of position all damn game. Mack will be Mack, Lynch will be Lynch, there's barely anything most GOOD teams can do about them, I just want to see the team look like they were in position to do so every so often.

11 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

On the road for the home opener in the Black Hole.... yeesh. So this is about as bad a match up as it gets. Not even the most optimistic fan could look at this one and see a W heading into the season. 

Low expectations going in here. It'd be nice if Shell could even somewhat compete with the best edge player in the league or if Lee could not be caught out of position all damn game. Mack will be Mack, Lynch will be Lynch, there's barely anything most GOOD teams can do about them, I just want to see the team look like they were in position to do so every so often.

If Lynch gets past the DL and Lee has to tackle him...

jBd5eVa.gif?noredirect

16 minutes ago, nycdan said:

If Lynch gets past the DL and Lee has to tackle him...

jBd5eVa.gif?noredirect

heh. Without help he's toast. 

Keeping in mind that he was getting old and probably wouldn't have stayed with the team past this season I kind of miss David Harris about now.

Positive predictions:

1. We do okay against the run. McCoy killed the Jets with stutter steps, jukes, and cutbacks. Our guys weren't agile enough to keep up... But Lynch doesn't do that as much. He's a bruiser type that lowers his shoulder and goes right at you. He'll get his yards but I don't think they'll look quite as much like Swiss cheese.

2. Special teams continues to look good... I really like this unit this year, especially if Edwards keeps looking as good as he has... It's a pretty small consolation for a lost season, but it'll be nice to have an area figured out going into next year. I think they do a good job of at least making Oakland have to march down a bit for their points...

3. Secondary is going to get shredded... But I do think there will be a positive play or two back there. I think they haul in another INT... Now I know that's not life-changingly positive, but it'll be an improvement from last year to actually get a damn turnover from those guys.

Negative Predictions:

1... Everything else... This won't be close. Our offensive line is a mess and who evers throwing the ball will have zero time. I can't imagine the rush game will be much better, though I think we'll see it a little more than we did last Sunday. But Carr's going to burn us left and right. I see some long, long TD receptions in the future. I don't think the Jets get anything that resembles a pass rush most of the game. 

Oakland - 38

Jets - 14

1 hour ago, DMan77 said:

Positive predictions:

1. We do okay against the run. McCoy killed the Jets with stutter steps, jukes, and cutbacks. Our guys weren't agile enough to keep up... But Lynch doesn't do that as much. He's a bruiser type that lowers his shoulder and goes right at you. He'll get his yards but I don't think they'll look quite as much like Swiss cheese.

2. Special teams continues to look good... I really like this unit this year, especially if Edwards keeps looking as good as he has... It's a pretty small consolation for a lost season, but it'll be nice to have an area figured out going into next year. I think they do a good job of at least making Oakland have to march down a bit for their points...

3. Secondary is going to get shredded... But I do think there will be a positive play or two back there. I think they haul in another INT... Now I know that's not life-changingly positive, but it'll be an improvement from last year to actually get a damn turnover from those guys.

Negative Predictions:

1... Everything else... This won't be close. Our offensive line is a mess and who evers throwing the ball will have zero time. I can't imagine the rush game will be much better, though I think we'll see it a little more than we did last Sunday. But Carr's going to burn us left and right. I see some long, long TD receptions in the future. I don't think the Jets get anything that resembles a pass rush most of the game. 

Oakland - 38

Jets - 14

Raiders probably coming out throwing from the start . (Expect to see them run the no huddle.   After they soften the Jets up with the pass,  than they will start to run it. ( Carr good at spreading it around)   The Raiders rushing attack is a lot more than just Beastmode .  jalen Richard and Deandre Washington  add a  diffrent dimension to the offense ( both 5-9 205 get lost behind the Raiders massive offenseline.  ( both complement Beastmode game nicely) The Raiders will get their yards on the ground.

Raiders special teams unit is still one of the better units.    The Kicker Tavecchio ( Janikowski replacement) probably doesn't kick as well as he did against the Titans( much tougher off the  dirt infield).  His kick offs will be deep,.     Punter Marquette King is very good at changing the field.  The Raiders possess the premier kick returner Cordaelle Patterson ( very good gunner too)- big mistake if the Jets  give him a chance to take it out. , and Jalen Richard is no slouch as the punt returner.  Watch # 26 Shalom Luani who worth the admission just for his special team ability alone.

1 hour ago, Raideraholic said:

Raiders probably coming out throwing from the start . (Expect to see them run the no huddle.   After they soften the Jets up with the pass,  than they will start to run it. ( Carr good at spreading it around)   The Raiders rushing attack is a lot more than just Beastmode .  jalen Richard and Deandre Washington  add a  diffrent dimension to the offense ( both 5-9 205 get lost behind the Raiders massive offenseline.  ( both complement Beastmode game nicely) The Raiders will get their yards on the ground.

Raiders special teams unit is still one of the better units.    The Kicker Tavecchio ( Janikowski replacement) probably doesn't kick as well as he did against the Titans( much tougher off the  dirt infield).  His kick offs will be deep,.     Punter Marquette King is very good at changing the field.  The Raiders possess the premier kick returner Cordaelle Patterson ( very good gunner too)- big mistake if the Jets  give him a chance to take it out. , and Jalen Richard is no slouch as the punt returner.  Watch # 26 Shalom Luani who worth the admission just for his special team ability alone.

Ya I mean.... Don't get me wrong. I expect the Raiders to put fine rushing numbers... But I don't expect the Jets line to look AS bad as they did last week... Which really shouldn't be that hard to do with how poorly they contained MC... I'm mostly just saying I don't expect it to be as large of a talking point this week. I think they'll have an average game.

But again, it won't matter. Carr should just sling the ball 55 times. He'll have a career day I think. 

7 hours ago, DMan77 said:

Positive predictions:

Negative Predictions:

Oakland - 38

Jets - 14

It would be great if its that close.

On 9/13/2017 at 1:01 PM, JetNation said:

Oakland 42 Jets 10

At least. Beast mode will scare the Jets "defense" into many, many missed arm tackles. He should go for 110 yards and two TD's at least. Derek Carr can take a day off and just hand off to Lynch and the Raiders win going away.

On 9/13/2017 at 1:27 PM, jack48 said:

Buster Skrine vs Bozo the Clown would be a concern

And why is he starting over Burris? The prediction for this game really isn't that difficult. The Raiders know that all they have to do is control the ball and not make mistakes, and this should be an easy win for them. They make a few plays and be perfectly content with a 24-3 win (although 3 pts for the Jets would be a lot at this point).

Shouldn't the Jets be concerned with surrounding Darnold with OLmen who can protect him and a getting a good receiver or two (sorry, Kerley just doesn't cut it as a #1 receiver)

1 hour ago, Freemanm said:

And why is he starting over Burris? The prediction for this game really isn't that difficult. The Raiders know that all they have to do is control the ball and not make mistakes, and this should be an easy win for them. They make a few plays and be perfectly content with a 24-3 win (although 3 pts for the Jets would be a lot at this point).

Shouldn't the Jets be concerned with surrounding Darnold with OLmen who can protect him and a getting a good receiver or two (sorry, Kerley just doesn't cut it as a #1 receiver)

The Raiders could sh*t the bed and still win this by 10

3 hours ago, nycdan said:

Don't forget, Bowles still hasn't announced the backup QB for this week so the Raiders are wasting massive amounts of time trying to gameplan for all 3 QBs.  That's going to keep the game close...within 30 points I'd think.

Bowles is perhaps the worst coach I have ever seen...  Kotite, and im sure a few others but Bowles is good for a -3 spread all on his own.

3 hours ago, nycdan said:

Don't forget, Bowles still hasn't announced the backup QB for this week so the Raiders are wasting massive amounts of time trying to gameplan for all 3 QBs.  That's going to keep the game close...within 30 points I'd think.

Maybe.  They may not even be planning for mcCown==well, planning to dismember him Quarter One.

8 hours ago, RoadFan said:

No mention of Jared Cook?

The Jets will bring extra help to the box in a failed attempt to slow down beast mode... the result will be Jared Cook running free in the seam all day long.  I predict he goes 7/123 and a TD.

I seriously doubt Jared Cook goes for over 100 yards receiving this week.( probably finishes with  60 yards)      The reason there are a lot of  Raider players that are going to get their touches in the offense.    Let's See 1. Michael Crabtree 2. Amari Cooper ( need to feed your top two Wr's) 3. J Cook 4. Beastmode 5. Cordealle Patterson - whether they line him up at RB or Wr.( terrible route runner but they want to get the ball to him fast with space- use his premier returning skills) 6. Seth Roberts 7. RB Jalen Richard 8. RB Deandre Washington ( both of Lynchs backups will get 7-10 touches per game whether they are runs ,or passes) .       Those are the main options.    Than you have Fb Olawale , Te Lee Smith ( premier run + pass blocker who will play a lot ) and Te Clive Walford who might get a pass thrown there way.

The Jets bring extra defender in the box than you can expect Carr to pass it.  He's going to take what the defense gives him.

1 hour ago, Raideraholic said:

I seriously doubt Jared Cook goes for over 100 yards receiving this week.( probably finishes with  60 yards)      The reason there are a lot of  Raider players that are going to get their touches in the offense.    Let's See 1. Michael Crabtree 2. Amari Cooper ( need to feed your top two Wr's) 3. J Cook 4. Beastmode 5. Cordealle Patterson - whether they line him up at RB or Wr.( terrible route runner but they want to get the ball to him fast with space- use his premier returning skills) 6. Seth Roberts 7. RB Jalen Richard 8. RB Deandre Washington ( both of Lynchs backups will get 7-10 touches per game whether they are runs ,or passes) .       Those are the main options.    Than you have Fb Olawale , Te Lee Smith ( premier run + pass blocker who will play a lot ) and Te Clive Walford who might get a pass thrown there way.

The Jets bring extra defender in the box than you can expect Carr to pass it.  He's going to take what the defense gives him.

You probably know your team very well, except how to spell Cordarrelle that is...

But I know the Jets too.  And what Carr is going to see, or "take what the Jets give him," is a wide open Cook.

18 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

After 18 years straight of being 1 of the worst teams in the league it must be fun to come to another fans sight & stick your chest out, and tell us about how good your team is from top to bottom. 1st time I believe you & look forward to this beat down so we're another week closer to a QB. Thank you.

Todd is not going to let the Raiders' pass rush get near our QB. We will play a ball control field position game with no passes over 3 yards.

We will cross the 50 2 times and never threaten the red zone. If we make 2 50 plus field goals we'll score 6 points.

The Raiders will score a TD early and that will be enough to win the game. Todd will never give them any concern that they need to score more points so the'll run the ball all day. 

Final score will be 17-6 if we make both kicks. This will beat the spread and make Todd look feel like a good coach.

On 9/13/2017 at 1:36 PM, AFJF said:

Unlikely.  He's calling games for ESPN.

Remember when Rex laughed at the notion of having to face a team coached by Jack Del Rio because Del Rio couldn't hold Rex's jock, or some other nonsense like that... but here's my favorite Rex Ryan Quote about Jack Del Rio:

“Jack Del Rio and myself are very similar except he’s really good looking and was a great player. Other than that, we’re very similar.”

14 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Bowles is perhaps the worst coach I have ever seen...  Kotite, and im sure a few others but Bowles is good for a -3 spread all on his own.

Ray Handly was the worst coach I've ever seen...another from the Parcells tree I think.

Bowles is really bad because he hides it well. Doesn't embarrass himself.

34 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Todd is not going to let the Raiders' pass rush get near our QB. We will play a ball control field position game with no passes over 3 yards.

We will cross the 50 2 times and never threaten the red zone. If we make 2 50 plus field goals we'll score 6 points.

The Raiders will score a TD early and that will be enough to win the game. Todd will never give them any concern that they need to score more points so the'll run the ball all day. 

Final score will be 17-6 if we make both kicks. This will beat the spread and make Todd look feel like a good coach.

This.  And McCown will finish the game with a 65% completion percentage, validating Bowles' assertion that he gives us the 'best chance to not lose by too much'.

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

This.  And McCown will finish the game with a 65% completion percentage, validating Bowles' assertion that he gives us the 'best chance to not lose by too much'.

I think the term he uses is "Competitive". 

We have a good chance to be competitive in most games. He may have that empowering motto tattooed somewhere. 

Archived