Forget QBs not enough good coaches either

Jetster

With top collegian coaches getting millions why on earth would you want to go to the NFL & take the abuse? Saban tried it couldn't wait to get out. Harbaugh too, So, as fans we get these regurgitated failures or we have to watch neophyte coordinators cutting their teeth on our time & dime trying to learn how to be a head coach in this league.

Other than Parcells this is especially true of the New York Jets. How f*cking stupid was Leon Hess to allow that gutless schmuck of a human being Gutman run the show all of those years! The idea that our owner was SO CLUELESS to ignore the fact that Bill Belichick was a damn fine coach & losing him would be detrimental to the momentum Parcells created is astonishing. 

Belichick KNEW this organization was a f*cking dysfunctional organizational mess with too many cooks in the kitchen. So, a guy up the road on 95 North in New England who just so happened to be a season ticket holder & a fan of his own team swooped in & told Bill that although those morons up in NY are giving you this job by default (you didn't really earn it), I think your the best coach I've ever seen & we'll do whatever it takes to get you to coach our team...WHATEVER IT TAKES! The rest as we know is history.

So, while you guys are screaming for Maccs head, just remember, Macc had zero to do with Bowles & he's proven in 3 years that he is just TERRIBLE! His preparation is terrible, his authority over the team sucks, he makes awful personnel decisions (Ridley in Buffalo), Forte on Sunday, and on & on. He makes terrible in game decisions, admitted he didn't know the score once, WTF! Has terrible clock management, doesn't communicate with ANYONE on the sideline, his best friend Kacy Rogers is horrible, 

Have any of you guys seen the 30/30 about the Washington Redskins Scab season when the NFL players walked out in I believe it was 1982? Joe Gibbs coached that scab team to 3 wins in a row & the 3rd game because the Skins players refused to return although all the other teams did played against the REAL DALLAS COWBOYS TEAM & they won the game! It propelled to home field & they won the Super Bowl that year.

While I don't expect Todd Bowles to have the career that Joe Gibbs had, the truth is that Todd Bowles is an AWFUL head coach. He may be a nice D.C. Not that I've seen many signs of it with the constant breakdown in his secondaries with WRs & TEs running freely with not a defender in the screen. My point is that we could draft Darnold, and pick a stud RB, WR, TE, but do we have the Head guy to put it all together, make the right decisions, put a game plan together that gives us THE BEST CHANCE TO WIN? 

Can any of you honestly, I mean really honestly say yes to that question after what you've seen from Todd Bowles in 33 games? If any one of you answer yes, I want you to tell me how & what you've seen that gives you that much confidence. We need a coach that can take yours & beat his. That's the type of coach Gibbs, Parcells, even Andy Reid (no excuses from BB, he flat out said in his presser, "we were out coached". The day that Bill Belichick says he was out coached by Todd Bowles will be NEVER. We might trip to a win vs the Pats some day. 

We got way more problems than Maccagnon & the 1st one stands on the sideline every Sunday representing our NY Jets. I'm sure Bowles is a helluva nice guy, and he knows a lot about football but he STINKS as a head coach. I'm saying it, I mean it, deep in my heart I know it's true that we could give him a team of all stars & he'd f*ck it up. 

And those are my deep thoughts for today. 

10 minutes ago, Gen X Jet said:

Speaking of Andy Reid- he left Bowles in Philly for a reason.

That's a great point! Let's get an owner who actually has a fracking clue & doesn't have to ask some over the hill clowns that had some success in the pre salary cap years what to do next, like that elf Casserley. Thanks a lot of your input jack*ss!

The real question should be name us one thing Todd Bowles is good at with regard to being an NFL HC. Name me one strength he has. You will think forever because the answer is nothing.

Game Planning - No

Player use - No

In game adjustments - Yeah ok

Scheming to his teams strength - Nope

Scheming to the opponents weaknesses - Never

Adapting to a changing NFL and changing player skill sets - No

Control of his locker room - Not last year

In game decisions such as when to punt and when to go for it, or go for 2 -  No

Having the balls to take chances and make something happen - No

Player development - Not a chance

So I ask again, what does this man do well and why is he still our HC?

5 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

The real question should be name us one thing Todd Bowles is good at with regard to being an NFL HC. Name me one strength he has. You will think forever because the answer is nothing.

Game Planning - No

Player use - No

he is held in high regard by other coaches and they think he can be a great head coach and still defend him by giving the excuse its the Jets fault.  but he has shown nothing and does not deserve another year here

29 minutes ago, jbt said:

he is held in high regard by other coaches and they think he can be a great head coach and still defend him by giving the excuse its the Jets fault.  but he has shown nothing and does not deserve another year here

This is the problem! Not enough good coaches so OF COURSE the coaching fraternity will tell everyone how great their assistants are except from, Herm, to Rex, to Bowles, each year these guys fire position coaches which makes it look like their in control of THE PROBLEMS when in fact, they ARE the problem. If your a Bills fan at least they got rid of Rex quickly! 

I'll eat my damn hat ? if Bowles becomes a very good coach. Forget "good coach", if we get a top QB, I want a guy that I think is a VERY GOOD coach. In 33 games Todd Bowles is WAY BELOW average & his decisions in Buffalo in 2015 lost that f*cking game & a chance to at least witness a playoff game. 

I'll be very discouraged as a long time Jet fan if we're picking a top QB & the Jets announce this fraud cigar store Indian is returning. I think once you lose a team & sh*t doesn't hit the fan and show you can get back control of a locker room you have to go. Did you see Sean Payton ignore Adrian Peterson Monday night? Just turning away he said, "I'm in charge motherf*cker who plays & who doesn't, when & where". So go sit down & do your job when I ask for you. 

42 minutes ago, jbt said:

they are saying that so he would remain hc and they can count on an easy win

5 minutes ago, jetfan39 said:

they are saying that so he would remain hc and they can count on an easy win

Bowles has no bold in him. He always picks the wrong time to do something. Going for 2 the other day? Why chase points? If you think your D is so good then I'm thinking you'll probably hold them to a FG & a TD wins the game right? Or you get two FGs & take the lead. 

It was so OUT OF THE BOX for Bowles and such in odd time in the game to me, it seemed like all those times in his press conferences when says he doesn't listen to the noise....he listened to the noise & got cute & again it bit him,lol. 

Remember when he should have been bold in 2015 home vs the Bills? Grinding the Bills up 7 zip with a 4th & a 1/2 yard from the goal line, crowd delirious with excitement he sends out Folk & deflates the entire stadium & all of the momentum & Folks kick got blocked! Lmao! He's a terrible decision maker.

Bowles was my 1b to Dan Quinn's 1a... thought we got a real solid HC. Can't say I disagree with much here... the question here is who is out there as a replacement?

• Teryl Austin - Lions DC - PASS
  • Darrell Bevell - Seahawks OC - Eh, maybe
  • Matt Patricia/Josh McDaniels - Been there done that, Pass

I'll take a page out of SAR's book and say that I'd muuuch rather have a former HC... someone like Mike McCoy, Jim Schwartz, Mike Smith or even Bill Callahan

3 minutes ago, bigalbarracuda said:

Bowles was my 1b to Dan Quinn's 1a... thought we got a real solid HC. Can't say I disagree with much here... the question here is who is out there as a replacement?

I'll take a page out of SAR's book and say that I'd muuuch rather have a former HC... someone like Mike McCoy, Jim Schwartz, Mike Smith or even Bill Callahan

Assuming we have a top 3 pick and take a QB, we NEED an Offensive HC. Someone who can groom a QB in other ways than just popping his head in the room and saying "Hey kid, if you throw an INT in a game, the team has an 85% chance of losing, so don't do that or I'm pulling you". 

8 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

Assuming we have a top 3 pick and take a QB, we NEED an Offensive HC. Someone who can groom a QB in other ways than just popping his head in the room and saying "Hey kid, if you throw an INT in a game, the team has an 85% chance of losing, so don't do that or I'm pulling you". 

Yeh for that reason I like McCoy and Smith who have worked with tons of top QBs and had a decent amount of success previously. 

17 minutes ago, bigalbarracuda said:

Eric Mangini

35 minutes ago, bigalbarracuda said:

Bill o'brien

You guys are going to say I'm effing nuts but why not give Josh McDaniels another chance? Give the defense to any retread who's had success before, Williams, Schwartz, I'd take Wade Phillips, I don't care. 

Garapolo looked pretty damn good in those games he played in. I'd feel a lot better trying to turn our offense around with McDaniel then Bowles, that's for sure. There just aren't that many choices, McCoy? Sean Payton if he gets let go. 

I WANT OFFENSE!

4 hours ago, Jetster said:

With top collegian coaches getting millions why on earth would you want to go to the NFL & take the abuse? Saban tried it couldn't wait to get out. Harbaugh too, So, as fans we get these regurgitated failures or we have to watch neophyte coordinators cutting their teeth on our time & dime trying to learn how to be a head coach in this league.

Other than Parcells this is especially true of the New York Jets. How f*cking stupid was Leon Hess to allow that gutless schmuck of a human being Gutman run the show all of those years! The idea that our owner was SO CLUELESS to ignore the fact that Bill Belichick was a damn fine coach & losing him would be detrimental to the momentum Parcells created is astonishing. 

Belichick KNEW this organization was a f*cking dysfunctional organizational mess with too many cooks in the kitchen. So, a guy up the road on 95 North in New England who just so happened to be a season ticket holder & a fan of his own team swooped in & told Bill that although those morons up in NY are giving you this job by default (you didn't really earn it), I think your the best coach I've ever seen & we'll do whatever it takes to get you to coach our team...WHATEVER IT TAKES! The rest as we know is history.

So, while you guys are screaming for Maccs head, just remember, Macc had zero to do with Bowles & he's proven in 3 years that he is just TERRIBLE! His preparation is terrible, his authority over the team sucks, he makes awful personnel decisions (Ridley in Buffalo), Forte on Sunday, and on & on. He makes terrible in game decisions, admitted he didn't know the score once, WTF! Has terrible clock management, doesn't communicate with ANYONE on the sideline, his best friend Kacy Rogers is horrible, 

Have any of you guys seen the 30/30 about the Washington Redskins Scab season when the NFL players walked out in I believe it was 1982? Joe Gibbs coached that scab team to 3 wins in a row & the 3rd game because the Skins players refused to return although all the other teams did played against the REAL DALLAS COWBOYS TEAM & they won the game! It propelled to home field & they won the Super Bowl that year.

While I don't expect Todd Bowles to have the career that Joe Gibbs had, the truth is that Todd Bowles is an AWFUL head coach. He may be a nice D.C. Not that I've seen many signs of it with the constant breakdown in his secondaries with WRs & TEs running freely with not a defender in the screen. My point is that we could draft Darnold, and pick a stud RB, WR, TE, but do we have the Head guy to put it all together, make the right decisions, put a game plan together that gives us THE BEST CHANCE TO WIN? 

Can any of you honestly, I mean really honestly say yes to that question after what you've seen from Todd Bowles in 33 games? If any one of you answer yes, I want you to tell me how & what you've seen that gives you that much confidence. We need a coach that can take yours & beat his. That's the type of coach Gibbs, Parcells, even Andy Reid (no excuses from BB, he flat out said in his presser, "we were out coached". The day that Bill Belichick says he was out coached by Todd Bowles will be NEVER. We might trip to a win vs the Pats some day. 

We got way more problems than Maccagnon & the 1st one stands on the sideline every Sunday representing our NY Jets. I'm sure Bowles is a helluva nice guy, and he knows a lot about football but he STINKS as a head coach. I'm saying it, I mean it, deep in my heart I know it's true that we could give him a team of all stars & he'd f*ck it up. 

i guess you are pretty upset.  some good points imo. i'm not totally for bowles and/or mac but i am willing to give them a chance mainly because if they are launched then we will have to go through this for at least another 3 seasons. i can only say that a slug of a coach like jack del rio is doing pretty well in oakland and even callahan had a couple of good seasons. and now the big news is mcavay's son is supposed to be an up and comer in la because he won his first game. and let's not forget how long marvin harrison or lovie smith have clung around. and ron rivera? from worst to first and then back to worst in all of 3 seasons. the point is some plenty good coaches don't get the job done and some plenty stinky ones are successful. and very few are successful on more than one team.

3 hours ago, Larz said:

It's a pity party!

It's not a pity party, I'm looking forward to maybe finally having a chance for a future franchise QB. If that comes to fruition why waste a couple more years with this incompetent Head coach? Just a waste of time. We need a bold innovative offensive coach. Just about any of these retreads can get this defense to play better than Bowles has especially if our offense scores points.

Jets should hire Pat Shurmur as their next HC:

Coaching Results

Playoffs   Challenges  
Year Age Tm Lg G W L T W-L% G plyf W plyf L plyf W-L% Rank Num Won Notes
2011 46 Cleveland Browns NFL 16 4 12 0 .250         4 5 3  
2012 47 Cleveland Browns NFL 16 5 11 0 .313         4 7 3  
2015 50 Philadelphia Eagles NFL 1 1 0 0 1.000         2 4 1 Interim head coach for Week 17 
3 yrs     33 10 23 0 .303 0 0 0   3.3 16 7  
2 yrs CLE   32 9 23 0 .281 0 0 0   4.0 12 6  
1 yr PHI   1 1 0 0 1.000         2.0 4 1  

Team's Ranks

Overall Offense Rushing Off Passing Off Defense Rushing Def Passing Def
Year Tm Role Tms WL% T/G Pts± Yds± Yds Pts GvA Att Yds TD Y/A FL Att Yds TD Int NY/A Yds Pts TkA Att Yds TD Y/A FR Att Yds TD Int nY/A
2009 STL OC 32 32 30 32 30 29 32 27 22 20 32 11 22 16 28 29 28 31 29 31 29 27 27 31 20 13 4 25 14 31 31
2010 STL OC 32 17 10 19 24 26 26 8 14 25 24 31 2 5 21 25 13 30 19 12 17 8 17 4 22 10 24 19 7 19 9
2011 CLE HC 32 28 13 27 28 29 30 4 21 28 32 31 5 11 24 27 8 30 10 5 25 31 30 18 21 7 2 2 4 28 6
2012 CLE HC 32 26 12 24 29 25 24 17 24 24 13 21 9 13 19 28 26 25 23 19 9 23 19 21 13 8 27 25 21 11 17
2013 PHI OC 32 10 4 9 10 2 4 4 4 1 2 1 16 27 9 5 3 3 29 17 3 19 10 15 4 5 32 32 14 8 22
2014 PHI OC 32 11 26 8 11 5 3 32 7 9 5 15 31 5 6 12 32 11 28 22 6 28 15 21 5 1 27 31 28 21 20
2015 PHI HC 32 17 22 20 26 12 13 29 11 14 10 21 28 6 12 20 26 19 30 28 10 30 32 10 28 11 28 28 31 10 15
  PHI OC 32 17 22 20 26 12 13 29 11 14 10 21 28 6 12 20 26 19 30 28 10 30 32 10 28 11 28 28 31 10 15
2016 MIN OC 32 17 4 15 18 28 23 7 25 32 26 32 24 12 18 21 2 21 3 6 7 14 20 3 17 4 10 3 11 12 2
2017 MIN OC 32 1 10 9 6 2 5 1 9 6 16 6 1 18 2 3 1 1 18 13 22 9 8 1 8 13 20 23 9 19 26
9 yrs       48 55 46 38 50 49 54 57 49 50 44 51 66 56 44 52 44 35 47 60 35 38 61 51 77 40 36 50 50 52
3 yrs PHI OC   64 49 65 54 83 82 35 80 78 85 65 25 64 75 65 40 69 13 33 83 23 44 55 65 85 13 8 27 63 44
2 yrs CLE HC   19 64 23 14 19 19 70 33 22 33 22 81 66 36 17 50 17 52 66 50 19 27 42 50 80 58 61 64 42 67
2 yrs LAR OC   27 41 23 19 17 13 48 47 33 16 38 66 70 27 19 39 8 28 36 31 48 34 48 38 67 59 34 70 25 41
2 yrs MIN OC   75 81 66 66 56 59 91 50 44 38 44 64 56 72 66 98 69 70 73 58 67 59 97 64 77 56 63 72 55 59
1 yr PHI HC   50 34 41 22 66 63 13 69 59 72 38 16 84 66 41 22 44 9 16 72 9 3 72 16 69 16 16 6 72 56

Full Wiki Resume:
As coach:

• Previous HC experience - 2 yrs - for the Browns. Hired by Holmgren,
  • Undefeated during 2nd HC job: Philly in 2015. 1-0 :D
  • Experienced OC who calls plays in a WCO and has developed young QBs as McNabb, Bradford, Weeden<_<, Foles crazy year in Philly.
  • Served UNDER HCs Andy Reid, Chip Kelly, Steve Spagnuolo, Nick Saban @ MSU, and now Mike Zimmer

22 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

Game Planning - No

Player use - No

Powder blue Three Piece Suit......bam!

I think the most important hire is the "Coughlin" hire-the grown up responsible for the football operations.

I agree that the most important aspect of the HC is someone that can mentor and develop a young QB.  It does not have to be the last HC the Jets hire.  The alternative is to hire a strong OC, but that does not appear to be the Jets model.   The Bills hired a strong-minded HC, a former HC as a DC and a long-time OC.  That is a much deeper and more expensive coaching staff than what the Jets have.  I sense that Pegula now understands what to do after trying to copy the Jets.  He will likely falter, but I see a better direction.

A new offensive minded HC should have a strong and virtual co-equal DC.   I would be reluctant to adopt a defense that cannot be easily adapted from the existing personnel, but I wonder what defense can work with the existing personnel.

I think when you compare the years of experience of the Jets coaches with others across the AFCE and NFL, you can see why we are undercoached.

complaining about coaching is like complaining about place kicking

yes it matters, it might even make or break the season

but there's a reason why Matthew Stafford makes 30 million dollars and his coach (Jim Caldwell) makes 4. 

put it another way, there's no problem with this team a good (or great) QB couldn't fix. Need hope? Add a QB.

Need a better coach, well they all line up to play with franchise QBs. 

Jobs like the Jets, where the roster is a wasteland, where people literally get fired based on airplane banner advertising, that is not an attractive job. They hire first timers cause the other options are hopeless retreads. Good coaches in their prime don't want this job and a big part of it is not having a QB or a roster with any offensive playmakers. 

On 9/14/2017 at 2:51 AM, Jetster said:

If it makes you feel better there is a 0.00% chance Bowles is here next year if we get the top pick. If Macc can't use $80M in cap space and the top pick in the draft to entice a real HC to come here, he should also be run out of town on a rail. For me, Macc getting one more year is predicated on him showing he can convince a legit HC talent to come to the NYJ. No small order but that's where we are. 

I agree. I think McCoy had his struggles to but he does one thing well that we need desperately....works well with young QBs. I think the Chargers was a learning process for him and he may fair better in his second stint. May not be a loved option but Ken Whisenhunt is another option but he does not have a good record of working with young guys.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

I think good coaching options also will be determined on the openings available next year. If there is only the Jets (which I doubt...I'm looking at you Cincinnati) some guys maybe more willing as head coaching jobs don't come up all the time.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

On 9/13/2017 at 9:18 PM, Obrien2Toon said:

Smith is defense.

Im in on mcCoy

Ah you're right... I had assumed that since he started with ATL when they drafted Matt Ryan in 2008 he was an offensive guy.

Still, something to be said for a guy who went to the playoffs in 4 of his 7 years starting with a rookie QB.  

Archived