Todd Bowles calls out Jets defensive line in meeting after rough day in Buffalo

joewilly12

56 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

It really isn't about this particular incident, it's what this incident represents. A continued lack of discipline and accountability in the locker room. That starts with the head coach. It's the same bullsh*t that we had to deal with under Rex Ryan. Inane, useless statements like, "I have to do better" or "we have to do better" or "we'll get it fixed", all the while the same problems persist, and the same players seemingly take ownership of the locker room. No accountability whatsoever. I actually thought Bowles was different than Rex, and would actually hold players accountable during his first year. I held Bowles in high regard, but after watching the Rex-like abomination in 2016, and getting a small glimpse that this season doesn't look like it's going to be any better, I no longer will cut him any slack. And to simply call someone a Bowles hater for pointing out the bullsh*t that actually exists is narrow-minded.

Look it's cool. I'm not trying to tell people how to be a fan or who to like or not like. That's all you!...

No, that's what you did. Please point out where I did.

Oops sorry... Just to be clear - I wasn't accusing you of anything. I meant it more as a "you do you and to each their own" comment; My bad on my wording.

But I will say I think I'm actually the opposite of narrow minded here.

Anyway...  No I get it man, I do. And again I'm not trying to convince you otherwise here. It's more about just what I notice and how it irks me. But again, that's me.

It's the same everywhere in life I guess... If you have a boss or a teacher that you hate, and that you think doesn't hold people accountable or is bad at teaching or lets a class run wild or doesn't run a department well... Then you're bound to find fault in anything they do. Even trivial things like this...  "She let the class go early today? Well she must just not know how to teach!".... "She didn't give us any homework tonight? Well she's probably not prepared!"... Boss canceled today's meeting? What is he thinking?!"... "He sent me an email about a job well done? What's his angle here?!"... It's just about the mindset we twist things into when we've made up our minds. We get gator-vision. Straight head. The person that's the focus of our anger and vitriol can't do any right anymore. We've locked them up in the shame room. 

16 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

Oops sorry... Just to be clear - I wasn't accusing you of anything. I meant it more as a "you do you and to each their own" comment; My bad on my wording.

But I will say I think I'm actually the opposite of narrow minded here.

Anyway...  No I get it man, I do. And again I'm not trying to convince you otherwise here. It's more about just what I notice and how it irks me. But again, that's me.

It's the same everywhere in life I guess... If you have a boss or a teacher that you hate, and that you think doesn't hold people accountable or is bad at teaching or lets a class run wild or doesn't run a department well... Then you're bound to find fault in anything they do. Even trivial things like this...  "She let the class go early today? Well she must just not know how to teach!".... "She didn't give us any homework tonight? Well she's probably not prepared!"... Boss canceled today's meeting? What is he thinking?!"... "He sent me an email about a job well done? What's his angle here?!"... It's just about the mindset we twist things into when we've made up our minds. We get gator-vision. Straight head. The person that's the focus of our anger and vitriol can't do any right anymore. We've locked them up in the shame room. 

Okay, thank you, misunderstandings happen. No harm done.

I get your reaction in this thread. There is a lot of incidents of peoples' minds already made up, but that happens on both sides. Some people see fault in everything a player/coach/gm does, and some people relentlessly issue excuse after excuse for those they love.

Our main disagreement, it seems, is that I just don't think that Bowles' failure to maintain discipline and accountability in the locker room is a trivial matter. Lack of discipline and focus is a huge factor in why we lost to the Steelers in the AFC Championship game, and we haven't been to the playoffs since. My opinion on Bowles is not carved in stone. I've just seen enough of the bullsh*t, and am tired of waiting around for him to get his sh*t together, and I will not give him a pass in his continued failures. And, yes, NOT calling things like this out is giving him a pass. I'm always open to changing my mind about a player/coach. For example, I was very high on this GM/HC combo the first year, but I have soured on them. I'm through with things like "hope" and "potential". I want to see results. And until/unless Bowles produces results, I will always call out the bullsh*t that I see.

None of this matters if he is disconnected from the offense, and not calling them out EVER, he is the HC not the DC, he needs to be all over the whole team not just the Dline, how can you take this serious as a player if your HC only pays attention, and screams, and yells about the defensive effort, and lets almost 40 year old QB's do what ever they wan't on offense with no accountability because he is just a DC in way over his head just like Rex was.

Eh, it's nice and all, but probably a little late to start calling guys out.  I thought this was what Bowles was brought in for.  It should've started on day one.  It's impossible to go from passive nice guy with no accountability to a disciplinarian who is taken seriously.

I remember a game last season, maybe Colts or Dolphins at home when Bowles was yelling at his defense on the sideline (only time I've ever seen him do it) and it looked to me like the players wee literally rubbernecking to watch the game going on behind him while he was screaming at them.  They couldn't have seemed less interested.

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

None of this matters if he is disconnected from the offense, and not calling them out EVER, he is the HC not the DC, he needs to be all over the whole team not just the Dline, how can you take this serious as a player if your HC only pays attention, and screams, and yells about the defensive effort, and lets almost 40 year old QB's do what ever they wan't on offense with no accountability because he is just a DC in way over his head just like Rex was.

We dont know that he didn't call out the O. Ok, he probably didn't, lol. Still, I cant be upset that HE was upset with the Dline and told them so. 

9 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

I haven't heard one sports writer, show host, etc.... defend Bowles.  

In fact, I've heard many, who usually would take the high road, call his game calling indefensible. 

Not true. He gets more endorsements from the peanut gallery (ESPN, NFL Network etc) than Donald Duck ?. Same ole spiel - 'Bowles was a very good D back, he learned the trade, he's risen through the coaching ranks, he's highly respected amongst his peers, he's a defensive genius blah blah blah'. In reality, the feedback should be 'this guy is more conservative than Rex, he has no clue how to make in game adjustments, he hasn't made any of his players better (instead they've declined), he is passionless and his team plays as such, he will be gone by years end.  Guaranteed,'

11 hours ago, HighPitch said:

He EVEN called us out

Wow very telling

that comment by wilk was more than a little strange.  like he shouldn't have been called out?  imo the slugs on the dline are wilk and mcclendon.  they should both be benched in favor of simon or pennel.  ealy looks like he has some good potential and leo still comes to play.

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

It's weird how bad Bowles is at disciplining the team considering he was a former player who was mentored by some of the classic hard-asses in managerial history. It's fine to call out a position group for sucking, but he can't do so (especially publicly) immediately after telling everyone how satisfied he was with his coaching, and how good his safeties were, etc, etc. If Bowles was savvy (or if anyone in the building knew anything about handling a news cycle) Bowles would be sure to mention that the whole team played like dogsh*t and not just the DL, because if and when Leonard Williams and Mo Wilkerson decide that Bowles isn't worth saving, that's when you're going to start seeing opposing offenses put up 35+ on the regular.

i guess in a way.  bowles seems to be a lot softer than he is portrayed to be. we all like the coach that craps on the team when they do badly but that may not be the right way to coach the team.  parcells was a master of that.  belichick too but mainly because he says absolutely nothing. i don't care what bowles is saying in public as long as he's saying the right things to his team.  the part of the article i disliked was wilk piping up and saying how they are all men.  they're not.  they're football players.  they're getting paid more money that most men see in their lifetimes to play a kids game. no criticism.  if i had the same talent i'd be right their with them. but they should know by now how to play the game and what's expected of them.

4 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

He can't call out the offense because they might end up trying to make plays. 

Just don't turn the ball over...Good job guys. Punt is as good as a score. 

Year 3 & these guys STILL can't follow the game plan & do their job. These guys aren't rookies, lol. Bowles defenses are like Dikes with leaks everywhere. They are either not motivated, do not follow instruction, Bowles & his Dline coach are terrible teachers or the Dline sucks azz.

Now when I listen to Jet games, the 1st thing I hear is how good of a D coordinator Bowles was in Arizona & how well he's respected throughout the league. Second thing I hear is the NY Jets have a A LOADED very talented Dline. Then, we get gashed in the running game, put very little pressure on the QB, lose and the next week its rinse & repeat and I hear the same sh*t spewed all over again.

Which is it? Or is it neither & Bowles stinks & other than Leo the Dline stinks too.

I guess that to call someone out, or call a unit out, you are doing so because they under performed.

To say the O under performed would be a bit harsh. They probably played in line with their collective talent. Our D line is meant to be our most talented unit, so I'm OK with them getting called out if they played poorly. They ARE capable of more. Offense I'm not so sure about.

Clearly every analyst/fanatic/etc who has "watched the tape" reports that the ILB's were by far the biggest drag on the defense.  I believe the DL played no worse than average or perhaps slightly below average.  This is not the unit to be called out.  I actually think it's counter productive when every man on the defense knows where the MAJOR fault lies.  

If someone is calling me out when I know I'm pretty much not the problem then I'm thinking f*ck him.  Can what we have on the bench possible be worse than Lee and Davis?  How about calling out the ILB coaching staff as well.  Oh wait you can't call out the coach because he is the AHC.        

20 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Lol, Kacy Rodgers is DC in name only the real dc is Bowles.

Maybe true, but Kacy is responsible (getting paid to do the job) and should be held accountable - players see TB's buddy loafing and collecting a paycheck as DC so why should they put in the extra effort, I believe Bowles is at least trying to be a HC and does not have time to do both jobs.  Kacy should be the one calling them out, almost half of the starting defense (5) are first round picks and they got steamrolled by the Bills, if this Sunday goes as expected (14 point dogs) Kacy should left in Oakland, friend or not

18 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Maybe true, but Kacy is responsible (getting paid to do the job) and should be held accountable - players see TB's buddy loafing and collecting a paycheck as DC so why should they put in the extra effort, I believe Bowles is at least trying to be a HC and does not have time to do both jobs.  Kacy should be the one calling them out, almost half of the starting defense are first or second round picks and they got steamrolled by the Bills, if this Sunday goes as expected (14 point dogs) Kacy should left in Oakland, friend or not

He should, and Bowles should be standing next to him at the airport looking to book a ticket home because Jets plane  is for employees only.

18 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Clearly every analyst/fanatic/etc who has "watched the tape" reports that the ILB's were by far the biggest drag on the defense.  I believe the DL played no worse than average or perhaps slightly below average.  This is not the unit to be called out.  I actually think it's counter productive when every man on the defense knows where the MAJOR fault lies.  

If someone is calling me out when I know I'm pretty much not the problem then I'm thinking f*ck him.  Can what we have on the bench possible be worse than Lee and Davis?  How about calling out the ILB coaching staff as well.  Oh wait you can't call out the coach because he is the AHC.        

The thing is, the Dline is not supposed to be average.  All the teams draft capital and money is spent there, and we just shipped out one of the best linemen in the NFL b/c of the supposed depth and strength of the unit.  So when you get an average up and down result, people are deservedly pissed.

Anyway, I think they will rebound..  There's too much talent there, but they have to play more disciplined football.

30 minutes ago, varjet said:

I thought the biggest problem with the defense was the inside lb play.  Williams played well, McClendon ok, Mo not well, but Lee and Davis were awful.  

Bowles is so done.  

And this is why the opinion of a fan should be taken as that of a fan .

The Best two Dlinemen aren't here, if your looking at effort (Snacks and Richardson). Mo is the head wort for me, the guys doing a Revis from 2016.

I'd flat ask him if he wants to play professional football anymore?

Since I'd show him some of his In game efforts on video, and ask him to come back with an answer. Then tell me what exactly I'm getting for 17 mill per.

3 hours ago, BigO said:

Not true. He gets more endorsements from the peanut gallery (ESPN, NFL Network etc) than Donald Duck ?. Same ole spiel - 'Bowles was a very good D back, he learned the trade, he's risen through the coaching ranks, he's highly respected amongst his peers, he's a defensive genius blah blah blah'. In reality, the feedback should be 'this guy is more conservative than Rex, he has no clue how to make in game adjustments, he hasn't made any of his players better (instead they've declined), he is passionless and his team plays as such, he will be gone by years end.  Guaranteed,'

Perhaps that's because I "cut the cord"  and dont get NFL or ESPN.  Not to be political, but the ESPN BS spin on Capernick etc... the politically correct BS spin they put on everything is one of the main reasons I did it.

I think that ESPN announcers feel especially pressured to NOT bad mouth a "minority" coach in these sensitive times.  Deep down I think they also think he sucks.

This is pretty crazy. When did Bowles call out the defensive line to the media? It looks like the players told the media. How does anyone here know that Bowles doesn't chew out the offense for their performance. I assume Bowles didn't go for it with 4 MI item left because of his lack of faith with the offense. Maybe he tells the offense that you need to step up so we feel confident going for it next time 

14 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

No matter what Bowles does for some he can do no right; I wonder why that is?

Well Chuck it may just be because Bowles doesn't do anything right? Telling his DL the blatantly obvious that they stunk is not holding them accountable. Benching a lazy turd for not performing like he should is. As others have stated why isn't he also calling out the OL, linebackers, and the whole coaching staff? Why isn't he admitting he made a mistake on the brain dead punting decision. He had an opportunity to make players and coaches accountable, but only yells at the DL. Yippee. He didn't do right here and deserves all of the backlash he's getting. If he does something right, I wiould acknowledge it, but I just don't see it happening  

14 hours ago, DMan77 said:

Yup... There's very few of us holding onto grey areas... You apparently either love someone/something, or hate them with a passion... No one can just be Ok. Or do some good things and some bad things.

Ah well. It makes people sound silly so it's all good.

Not necessarily. I was up the middle on Rex myself and there were others. It's just that the extreme views seem to get the most attention and more abundant then those that are more up the middle. I hated Kotite with a passion, but I'd be the first to tell you he did a great job in finding Chrebet. His players did seem to play hard for him as well. With Bowles though, I just do not see anything that he does well.

This post is probably going to start the ball rolling on this topic being close, but I really don't care . I read this board, I see and hear what's going on the world around me and I wonder why people just can't tell each other about how they fell about each other instead of hiding behind some politically correct garbage and making coded remarks that stinks of racial hatred . What's even worst is the lines that used to define these idiotic battles are blurred like it is in the war we fight today on terror. The haters and the friendlies look just like each other .

We have taken a game and made it more important than common decency and because of that decision, it takes stuff like what's going on in Texas and Florida to remind us what's important .

When will we ever learn .

The thing is, the Dline is not supposed to be average.  All the teams draft capital and money is spent there, and we just shipped out one of the best linemen in the NFL b/c of the supposed depth and strength of the unit.  So when you get an average up and down result, people are deservedly pissed.
Anyway, I think they will rebound..  There's too much talent there, but they have to play more disciplined football.
I'd like to see the knock on effect on our linebackers if the d line stepped and played up to their potential. I'm not absolving them of any blame, but if the line are failing to hold their assignments it does make their task harder.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Archived