Luck be a Lady tonight

NYDreamer

Sorry for the title and now have show tunes running through my head:  Saw this article on PFT about the possibility that Andrew Luck wants out of Indy.  Thought this was interesting and made me think as a Jets fan would I want to see our team make a play for Andrew Luck or take a chance on a possible future franchise rookie?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/09/13/agent-calls-rumors-that-andrew-luck-wants-out-of-indy-simply-false/

Agent calls rumors that Andrew Luck wants out of Indy “simply false”

Posted by Mike Florio on September 13, 2017, 8:22 PM EDT

831115190-e1504241205670.jpg?w=560&h=316
Getty Images

I’ve recently been trying to figure out the craziness in Indianapolis involving the status of quarterback Andrew Luck. Along the way, I’ve developed four different theories for the lingering absence of Luck from practices and games, along with the apparent absence of a plan to replace him while he heals from January surgery.

They are: (1) good, old-fashioned incompetence; (2) a conscious willingness to give Luck a redshirt year if necessary; (3) an effort by new G.M. Chris Ballard to tie one hand behind coach Chuck Pagano’s back in order to make it easier to fire him; and (4) a possible desire by Luck to run out of Indy while he can still walk.

While sounding this out on various platforms (including PFT Live and Wednesday’s PFT Liveafternoon podcast), I made it clear that it’s just speculation, arising primarily from what I’d want if me or my kid were employed by the Colts. Look at what they’ve given him or, more accurately, what they haven’t given him. As Luck enters the front end of the prime years, his career is currently being wasted, putting him far closer to Archie than Peyton on the Manning scale.

Speaking of Archie, the notion that Luck possibly wants out can be traced to the Manning family patriarch, sort of. Luck’s father, Oliver, was a teammate of Archie’s. Oliver knows how the business works, and he’d surely prefer his son to emerge from the NFL in one piece. More than 13 years ago, Archie engineered a San Diego stiff arm for Eli; why shouldn’t Oliver at least consider an Andrew extrication from Indy?

Apparently, others have been taking it beyond speculation, actually couching it as rumor. Which has prompted Luck’s camp to try to shoot down any talk of discontent. Wednesday night, Ian Rapoport of NFL Media said on the air that Luck’s agent/uncle (or uncle/agent) called the non-rumor rumor “simply false.”

It’s odd that Luck’s camp would even address the situation at this juncture. The fact that it was shot down on the record will serve only to get more people thinking and talking about it.

Which could be part of the master plan. If so, at least someone would have a plan of some sort when it comes to the current state of Andrew Luck’s career.

And before pooh-poohing a possible trade because of the cap hit, consider this: The net charge for trading him in 2018 would be lower than the net charge for keeping him.

Besides, if he decides that he truly wants out (which frankly he should), why would the Colts want to keep him around? If the quarterback isn’t all in, things will only get worse. If, based on Sunday’s outcome in L.A., that’s even possible.

I'm in! Lol!

Problem is the Colts might have the 1st pick, but is that really a problem if the Jets have the 2nd pick? Could you imagine a scenario where the trade for Luck & the 1st pick & Indy picks one-two? That would be insane but not out of the realm of possibility if Luck truly wants out of Indy. 

This is like the OP that thought Megatron would come out of retirement to play for the Jets.

Reality check people.  When a great player wants out of a dysfunctional, talentless  team...they dont want to go to another one!

Arizona is a realistic landing place in 2018 IF true.  Arians, David Johnson, and a defense.

Pittsburgh if Ben retires.

Denver.

He might, MIGHT, consider going back to Cali to Rams or 49ers IF the head coach is a fit even though the teams are less talented.

The Jets are a hell no for Luck.

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

I'm in! Lol!

Problem is the Colts might have the 1st pick, but is that really a problem if the Jets have the 2nd pick? Could you imagine a scenario where the trade for Luck & the 1st pick & Indy picks one-two? That would be insane but not out of the realm of possibility if Luck truly wants out of Indy. 

They could get way, way more for him than one 1st round pick.

I've seen this idea posted around twitter about trading for Luck, and while I'm not saying No I'm also saying it's not as much of a no-brainer as it seems.  Sure sounds crazy for a franchise that has been starving for a franchise QB for so long but if we were to trade for Luck we would likely be giving up a ton of picks and while a good QB like Luck can mask a lot of problems this team has sooo many holes that trading for Luck and giving up those assets would basically turn us into the Colts, 9-7 perennial Wild Card team that can never win in the playoffs.  Again, if he did become available it would soooo tempting but I worry giving up the picks would just leave us with the same team plus Luck.  I know we'll have a ton of cap space in free agency but that's just a 1-2 year band aid like we learned in 2015.  Even with a top flight franchise QB you still need to build through the draft and put weapons around the guy.  He'd be much better served somewhere like AZ,  a team with the weapons in need of a QB

I was contemplating starting a thread yesterday suggesting that the Jets trading for Luck actually makes plenty of sense. If you factor in the awfulness of the Colts roster and Lucks contract they may be better off trading him for a high 1st  plus some more and use their own pick or the Jets pick to nab Darnold/Rosen plus the extra picks to quickly start a rebuild. The Colts have a pretty good history of drafting franchise QBs so they could be confident in doing it again this year. 

From the Jets perspective it makes sense because while this team is bad, they could quickly turn things around if they had Luck and wouldn't have to worry about developing a young QB. And, as opposed to the Colts, we have a long history of screwing up our QB draft picks. 

Will it happen, no, but it's fun to dream. 

1 hour ago, Lil Woody said:

Normally I'd agree, doubt it in this draft.  Especially if the 1 first rounder was the 2nd pick in the draft.  That is if all the QB's maintain their value thru the NCAA season.

If I had the first two picks in this draft I'd go QB, QB.  Certainly better then S,S

3 hours ago, Jetster said:

I'm in! Lol!

Happened once before that I can recall. 

And it was the Colts back in 1992 that had the first two picks in the draft.  They earned the #1 with a 1-15 record.  A couple of years earlier they acquired the Bucs 1992 1st round pick in trade, which turned out to be #2 overall.  Didn't help them all that much, they picked Steve Emtman and Quentin Coryatt at 1 and 2.

3 hours ago, RoadFan said:

This is like the OP that thought Megatron would come out of retirement to play for the Jets.

Reality check people.  When a great player wants out of a dysfunctional, talentless  team...they dont want to go to another one!

Arizona is a realistic landing place in 2018 IF true.  Arians, David Johnson, and a defense.

Pittsburgh if Ben retires.

Denver.

He might, MIGHT, consider going back to Cali to Rams or 49ers IF the head coach is a fit even though the teams are less talented.

The Jets are a hell no for Luck.

The Card's oline seemed worse than the Jets to me.

Also if this is a trade then who cares where he wants to go?

1 hour ago, NYs Stepchild said:

The Card's oline seemed worse than the Jets to me.

Also if this is a trade then who cares where he wants to go?

I despise contradicting comments that use tunnel vision.

When you are that big of a star, players can reject trades one way or another.

And that is if he doesnt already have some kind of veto or no-trade clause in his contract.  I know Eli does. 

5 hours ago, Lil Woody said:

To just move back 1 spot? I don't know about that. Just imagine them coming away with Darnold & McGlinchey? 

Thats a helluva good start considering Lucks salary would be gone to. There are 3 top notch QBs (Darnold/Rosen/Allen & the wildcard Lamar Jackson. Other bad teams at 3/4/5 might just say f*ck it I'm taking a chance on these guys I like them all & Ill just let him fall to me instead of trading my entire draft away!

32 minutes ago, Jetster said:

To just move back 1 spot? I don't know about that. Just imagine them coming away with Darnold & McGlinchey? 

Thats a helluva good start considering Lucks salary would be gone to. There are 3 top notch QBs (Darnold/Rosen/Allen & the wildcard Lamar Jackson. Other bad teams at 3/4/5 might just say f*ck it I'm taking a chance on these guys I like them all & Ill just let him fall to me instead of trading my entire draft away!

The idea was trading only our #2 overall pick for Luck.  That way the colts would have 1 & 2 overall in this draft and they could then use one pick to secure another QB and use the other pick to trade to someone for 3#1s and 3#2s or whatever the next step in inflation for trading up for a QB in the draft is next year.  I am saying that they could ask for way more.  Like asking us for #2 overall, both 2nd rounders and a #1 next year for Luck.  And if they did that, we'd probably trip over our own dick running to the league office with the paperwork.

Luck is signed through 2021 and has never been franchised.  He'd be 33 in his walk year and we would still have the threat of the franchise tag to hold over his head for 3 years.  Make no mistake, Luck would not be happy.  It was "reported" that he wanted no part of this organization.  Something like a bar room convo that had a fan ask him if he'd ever consider coming to the Jets and he shuddered and was like "oh, hell no."

5 hours ago, drsamuel84 said:

I've seen this idea posted around twitter about trading for Luck, and while I'm not saying No I'm also saying it's not as much of a no-brainer as it seems.  Sure sounds crazy for a franchise that has been starving for a franchise QB for so long but if we were to trade for Luck we would likely be giving up a ton of picks and while a good QB like Luck can mask a lot of problems this team has sooo many holes that trading for Luck and giving up those assets would basically turn us into the Colts, 9-7 perennial Wild Card team that can never win in the playoffs.  Again, if he did become available it would soooo tempting but I worry giving up the picks would just leave us with the same team plus Luck.  I know we'll have a ton of cap space in free agency but that's just a 1-2 year band aid like we learned in 2015.  Even with a top flight franchise QB you still need to build through the draft and put weapons around the guy.  He'd be much better served somewhere like AZ,  a team with the weapons in need of a QB

Arizona has 1 weapon, and he is on IR, and the Jets could easily just go out, and sign a RB who is equal if not better than him in the off season in Lev Bell.

4 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

I would like to see Luck in the green and white but if he had to play behind this OL he might get killed.

Jets should build a line first then consider a guy like Luck.

The Jets O-line looks like 5 HOF's compared to any O-line Luck has ever had in Indy.

7 minutes ago, Lil Woody said:

The idea was trading only our #2 overall pick for Luck.  That way the colts would have 1 & 2 overall in this draft and they could then use one pick to secure another QB and use the other pick to trade to someone for 3#1s and 3#2s or whatever the next step in inflation for trading up for a QB in the draft is next year.  I am saying that they could ask for way more.  Like asking us for #2 overall, both 2nd rounders and a #1 next year for Luck.  And if they did that, we'd probably trip over our own dick running to the league office with the paperwork.

Luck is signed through 2021 and has never been franchised.  He'd be 33 in his walk year and we would still have the threat of the franchise tag to hold over his head for 3 years.  Make no mistake, Luck would not be happy.  It was "reported" that he wanted no part of this organization.  Something like a bar room convo that had a fan ask him if he'd ever consider coming to the Jets and he shuddered and was like "oh, hell no."

I do remember that interview & it made me cringe as a Jet fan how low we've sunken. But, things change, he might not think coming to the Jets was bad at all if Sean Payton shook loose? He ain't coming here with Todd Bowles, maybe a Josh McDaniel? Jets Oline right now makes the Colts Oline look like a high school Oline. I don't know if he should come back & play with that line. 

Plus the Jets Oline would look even better with Luck! Sure play 8/9 in the box, Luck will rip it up even throwing to our group of misfit toys. We'd find out very quickly just how good these young kids could become.

3 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

The Jets O-line looks like 5 HOF's compared to any O-line Luck has ever had in Indy.

I just stated this earlier, Luck would make the Jets line look even better with his release. And the Jets defense though shaky is WAY BETTER than the Colts, especially if we could finally play with some leads & be a little more daring.

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

I just stated this earlier, Luck would make the Jets line look even better with his release. And the Jets defense though shaky is WAY BETTER than the Colts, especially if we could finally play with some leads & be a little more daring.

2018 Jets Offense

Luck

Lev Bell

Josh Gordon

Sammy Watkins

Quincy

R Anderson/Stewart/Hansen

HC Todd Haley

Get it down Tanny!

Everyone forget about the time luck said he would never want to play for the new york jets? Yes he is talented but he has been hurt too often to pay the price it would take to get him especially if you are bringing him to a team he doesn't want to play for...If we are in play for a rookie qb who is a blue chip prospect that needs to be the route we go.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

2018 Jets Offense
Luck
Lev Bell
Josh Gordon
Sammy Watkins
Quincy
R Anderson/Stewart/Hansen
HC Todd Haley
Get it down Tanny!

As if the thought of Indy letting luck go isn't crazy enough we have the Steelers letting bell walk the rams letting the we they just traded for go and Josh Gordon giving up drugs so that he can play football again.

17 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

As if the thought of Indy letting luck go isn't crazy enough we have the Steelers letting bell walk the rams letting the we they just traded for go and Josh Gordon giving up drugs so that he can play football again.

Bell will be playing elsewhere in 2018 book it, the Steelers are not franchising him twice, OR giving him a monster deal after the deal they gave to Brown.

Andrew Luck on someday being quarterback of the Jets: '(Bleep) that, man'

IndyCar: Indianapolis 500
According to a report, Indianapolis Colts quarterback Andrew Luck isn't interested in ever becoming quarterback of the Jets. (Andrew Weber | USA TODAY Sports)

The New York Post is relating this Page Six unattributed anecdote about Indianapolis Colts quarterback Andrew Luck hanging out in New York City recently with pal Jonathan Martin:

Indianapolis Colts star Andrew Luck may like hanging out in New York -- but don't expect the elite quarterback to ever play here. Spies spotted Luck hanging out recently at Montauk's Surf Lodge with his NFL pal Jonathan Martin -- who made headlines in 2013 when he accused his Miami Dolphins teammates of bullying.

The duo were "drinking Heinekens" and "shooting the breeze about football" with a die-hard Jets fan at the bar, we're told. When the Gang Green backer told Luck, "I wish you were the quarterback of the Jets," Luck leaned in and whispered, "[Bleep] that, man."

Bell will be playing elsewhere in 2018 book it, the Steelers are not franchising him twice, OR giving him a monster deal after the deal they gave to Brown.

I think it will depend on Ben. If he wants to play another year they will pony up for bell so they can keep making playoff runs. Good teams find a way to not let their star players walk

Archived