Who Could go if Jets opt for Pre-Deadline Fire Sale?

JetNation

On 9/14/2017 at 8:55 AM, Lupz27 said:

Unless your willing to move Leo, or some idiot GM decides to take Forte their isn't a Jet any team would be interested in if they have to give up a draft pick.

This would finally do it.  I'd snap.

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

This would finally do it.  I'd snap.

No you wouldn't.  He's a great player.  But at the end of the day, he's still a 3-4 DE.  He's not a QB, he's not an edge rusher, he's not a LT.....his position is very important, but plenty of good 3-4 defenses exist with average to above average 5 tech DEs.

42 minutes ago, Lil Woody said:

No you wouldn't.  He's a great player.  But at the end of the day, he's still a 3-4 DE.  He's not a QB, he's not an edge rusher, he's not a LT.....his position is very important, but plenty of good 3-4 defenses exist with average to above average 5 tech DEs.

Off the top of my head, there are three teams that I can think of that tried to build their defense off of dominant 3-4 DE play.

The Patriots with Seymour (and Wilfork).

The Texans with Watt (who also have Cushing,Clowney and others now and in the past).

The Jets with Williams AND MO AND RICHARDSON.

What would it take to bring Parcells back as a consultant?

On 9/14/2017 at 9:24 AM, BCJet said:

Ealy not only is a good young player, but having him on the roster improves the chances for a coach to come in who wants to run a 4-3, no chance Ealy is going anywhere

M: Hey, Jimmy Harbaugh

J: Yeah?

M: Take this job?

J: What?

M: Got Kony Ealy.

30 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

Honestly the next best trade for the Jets will be in the draft. Since the Jets will obviously have the first overall in each round, I bet the Jets can go to whichever team wins the Superbowl and get their #2, #3 and #4 for our #2.

There are alot of other lousy teams.  the young QBS will start playing soon.  The veterans will panic.  This is a mystery.

2 hours ago, Lil Woody said:

No, really.  If they trade Leo for some bullsh*t 2nd or 3 round pick type offer at the deadline, I'm out. 

Sequence of events:

1. RFA tag backup CB Marcus Williams for non-guaranteed $2.7m in a tear-down, salary-dump season.
  2. Try to trade him. 
  3. Nobody offers anything.
  4. Keep him anyway, through final cut downs to guarantee his full salary for the season. 
  5. Don't play him on defense week 1. At all. Not even for one snap.
  6. Listen to Jets fans still maddeningly believe the FO has, and has had, a plan put into action.

:bag: 

58 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Sequence of events:

1. RFA tag backup CB Marcus Williams for non-guaranteed $2.7m in a tear-down, salary-dump season.
  2. Try to trade him. 
  3. Nobody offers anything.
  4. Keep him anyway, through final cut downs to guarantee his full salary for the season. 
  5. Don't play him on defense week 1. At all. Not even for one snap.
  6. Listen to Jets fans still maddeningly believe the FO has, and has had, a plan put into action.

:bag: 

I don't think $2.7 mil is a big deal when you're looking at $90 million in cap space, and it's not a bad price to pay for an experienced CB who has shown he can make a play if given the opportunity.

You can sign a guy who can play a little bit with a willingness to keep him if there are no takers which is what looks to be the case here.

Hopefully they're able to deal him later in the season.

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

I don't think $2.7 mil is a big deal when you're looking at $90 million in cap space, and it's not a bad price to pay for an experienced CB who has shown he can make a play if given the opportunity.

You can sign a guy who can play a little bit with a willingness to keep him if there are no takers which is what looks to be the case here.

Could have brought back Darrin Walls, a better player, for less. 

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Could have brought back Darrin Walls, a better player, for less. 

Ehhhh...not so sure about that.  Neither one is going to be a pro-bowler, and I think Walls is out of the league.

6 hours ago, AFJF said:

I didn't say it was a big deal on its own. But signing and keeping a guy he clearly wanted to trade away, and the HC clearly could do without, is a symptom of the lack of direction and coordination with this group. These things add up, and collectively they're anything but insignificant.

Here's the kicker: if he'd have just let him go 6 mos ago, and someone else signed him for more than the league minimum, he'd have already locked in a comp draft pick for him. 

Now in a salary dump / tank season we choose to lose an additional $2.2m, and possibly or likely a draft pick as well, for a player they don't truly need now and seem to have no desire to keep next year anyway. 

35 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

That's the joke. That there are guys out of the league better than what the Jets have on the roster. 

I'd say more that if they just wanted an extra experienced, short-term player for this one tank + salary/player dump season, why sign a player that's $2m more?

If we trade him, fine. But we could have just let him go and collected roughly the same draft pick as a sure thing (without worry about keeping him at the $2.7m we don't want to pay). And if he would've signed elsewhere for the minimum (where we'd get no pick) then why are we paying this veteran-minimum player $2.7m? Are we some kind of special morons?

Why not just offer him a mere $200K (give or take) above his minimum salary level of $695K? Then the 2 most likely ourcomes are either:

1. Marcus takes it, which saves us ~$2m over the tag amount (and makes him far more attractive to trade later). His cap presence in the top-51 over an UDFA-salary is now insignificant, at  ~$400K.

2. Marcus turns it down because he got a better offer elsewhere, which would then yield a sure-thing comp pick in 2018.

It's almost as though these guys have no brains whatsoever, and are incapable of rudimentary arithmetic. 

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I didn't say it was a big deal on its own. But signing and keeping a guy he clearly wanted to trade away, and the HC clearly could do without, is a symptom of the lack of direction and coordination with this group. These things add up, and collectively they're anything but insignificant.

Here's the kicker: if he'd have just let him go 6 mos ago, and someone else signed him for more than the league minimum, he'd have already locked in a comp draft pick for him. 

Now in a salary dump / tank season we choose to lose an additional $2.2m, and possibly or likely a draft pick as well, for a player they don't truly need now and seem to have no desire to keep next year anyway. 

I get what you're saying, but I don't think it's out of the ordinary for a team to see a player they can use for a given price who they'd also be willing to trade if the opportunity presented itself.  I think that's where they're at with Williams.

5 hours ago, AFJF said:

I get what you're saying, but I don't think it's out of the ordinary for a team to see a player they can use for a given price who they'd also be willing to trade if the opportunity presented itself.  I think that's where they're at with Williams.

What's the point of tagging someone like Marcus Williams at $2.7m?

You sign him for - at best - half that. He'll sign it, and if he won't it means someone else is inking him to a deal in the $2m range or more, yielding a greater return as a comp pick than someone's going to surrender in trade. Just because someone is willing to sign him for 1 year, $2m doesn't therefore mean they're also willing to trade us a 5th round pick for this contract (which would be in excess of the comp pick value we'd get).

It's great if we get it, but it's an unnecesary long shot.

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

What's the point of tagging someone like Marcus Williams at $2.7m?

You sign him for - at best - half that. He'll sign it, and if he won't it means someone else is inking him to a deal in the $2m range or more, yielding a greater return as a comp pick than someone's going to surrender in trade. Just because someone is willing to sign him for 1 year, $2m doesn't therefore mean they're also willing to trade us a 5th round pick for this contract (which would be in excess of the comp pick value we'd get).

It's great if we get it, but it's an unnecesary long shot.

There is no plan - just a series of random transactions and draft picks.  

It's a 'rebuild' when the team sucks and the GM needs excuse.  A rebuild starts with the premium positions (qb, Pass rush, WR, lt). not 2 safeties and a tiny linebacker.   Jets could also have moved down and added a #1 in '18 and a 3rd in 17 and took the 'franchise safety' instead.   Makes no sense at all and there clearly is no plan.  

10 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

There is no plan - just a series of random transactions and draft picks.  

It's a 'rebuild' when the team sucks and the GM needs excuse.  A rebuild starts with the premium positions (qb, Pass rush, WR, lt). not 2 safeties and a tiny linebacker.   Jets could also have moved down and added a #1 in '18 and a 3rd in 17 and took the 'franchise safety' instead.   Makes no sense at all and there clearly is no plan.  

Rumor has it Daniel Handler (despite being from San Francisco) is a Jets fan, and Mike Maccagnan was the inspiration his Lemony Snicket titles, from The Bad Beginning, through The Wide Window (that should have been), right through to The End.

The original series title, of course, was going to be The Maccagnan Jets: A Series of Unfortunate Events.

It's his editor, Flerm Sedwards, whom he privately credits with advising him on instead taming these stories down, as fictional childrens' novels, because the adult nonfiction first draft was just too scary, too horrible, and would have entertained almost nobody. 

Well if we keep losing and McCown plays well (like all the guys on SNY said he did) you might be able to trade him to a team like the Vikings with a Qb injury. And get a pick. He's run a lot of offenses (in 12 seasons he's worked for 12 OCs). If we're 0-4 after 2 more games they might want to go with Petty or Hack. And today at his presser Bowles stated that Petty is his backup. With a good team McCown isn't McClown and he could do an adequate job. 

Archived