Mayfield & Jackson QB Article

KRL

Was actually just about to start a thread asking when we start mentioning Jackson more than we do now.  

Gonna' be interesting to see who comes out and who stays put.  Lots of top prospects with more eligibility after this season.

Over the years, the Jets have shown zero creativity in offense.  There is no doubt in my mind that no one in this organization could create an offense to cater to Jackson's strengths.  

IMO, the article's comp of Darnold and Aikman has me fired up.  I think Darnold and Rosen are going to be even better than Winston/Mariota combo a few years ago.  

We can spend the rest of our draft and FA $$ building the OL and upgrading the skill positions around which ever one we take.

we could see a major turn around for this franchise (with the right coaching) that has us a a legit power house in two seasons.

25 minutes ago, Pcola said:

I think Darnold and Rosen are going to be even better than Winston/Mariota combo

I think the Wentz, Goff combo will equal to if not better then the Mariota, Winston combo mainly because Wentz is the best QB of the 4, and Mariota still has a lot to show as far as being able to win in this league which I think he will end up doing, but it's still a question in my mind, I think both Winston, and Wentz are future studs, and Goff, and Mariota have a lot left to prove, but both look like they are on their way.

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Was actually just about to start a thread asking when we start mentioning Jackson more than we do now.  

Gonna' be interesting to see who comes out and who stays put.  Lots of top prospects with more eligibility after this season.

I've been predicting Jackson will be the 3rd QB drafted, and quite possibly the 3rd overall pick in the draft after Rosen, and Darnold.

8 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

I want no part of Mayfield. Jackson is interesting though.

This is interesting to me. You don't want any part of Mayfield, but Jackson interests you. I am curious to the reasons. Jackson is a freak and his running ability is awesome to watch. Mayfield is a confident AF QB that is not afraid of any moment and seems to thrive when he is being doubted. 

I like watching both of these guys and think that both are very interesting. 

17 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

I think the Wentz, Goff combo will equal to if not better then the Mariota, Winston combo mainly because Wentz is the best QB of the 4, and Mariota still has a lot to show as far as being able to win in this league which I think he will end up doing, but it's still a question in my mind, I think both Winston, and Wentz are future studs, and Goff, and Mariota have a lot left to prove, but both look like they are on their way.

You may be underestimating Mariota a bit.  Since he came into the league, he has the highest rating in the RZ in the NFL.  The team he went to was in major rebuild mode and last year, they would have clinched their division had it not been his broken leg.

I agree that Wentz is going to be a very good one.  But I'm not completely sold on Winston.  This season will tell a lot about both Mariota and Winston.

22 minutes ago, Stark said:

This is interesting to me. You don't want any part of Mayfield, but Jackson interests you. I am curious to the reasons. Jackson is a freak and his running ability is awesome to watch. Mayfield is a confident AF QB that is not afraid of any moment and seems to thrive when he is being doubted. 

I like watching both of these guys and think that both are very interesting. 

Mayfield strikes me as another Paxton Lynch. A guy who looks good in a college system where everything is spoon-fed to him, but will have trouble adapting to a pro system. I don't see anything great about him at all. The fact that he had to transfer because Davis Webb (who I wasn't a fan of either) took his job bothers me too. The fact that he has issues off the field (wasn't aware of this until I read the article in the OP) is another red flag. We have enough sh!t-heads on this team already.

Jackson looks like a special player. My worry with drafting him would be longevity. QBs with his playing style usually have shorter careers because they get banged up a lot. 

Am I the only fan hoping the Jets win enough to pick 3rd? So they're forced to take Jackson. I know it's a long way till the draft but if this defense improves the way I'm hoping I love the ability of Jackson to pick up first downs with his legs. Couple that with ridiculous arm talent to threaten the sidelines and over the top. He's the type of athlete that can make a defense play 10 vs 11

2 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

Am I the only fan hoping the Jets win enough to pick 3rd? So they're forced to take Jackson. I know it's a long way till the draft but if this defense improves the way I'm hoping I love the ability of Jackson to pick up first downs with his legs. Couple that with ridiculous arm talent to threaten the sidelines and over the top. He's the type of athlete that can make a defense play 10 vs 11 for at least 5 or 6 years. After that he primary skill will be limited because of the hits he takes behind this line, the fact that the players at this level are faster and he wont be able to make those same plays without getting hit a lot more plus the fact that he is a little light in the ass. 

Fixed

and I actually like this kid but............DO NOT WANT

8 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

Fixed

and I actually like this kid but............DO NOT WANT

Valid concerns but he looks bigger than Watson to me. He turns 21 in January. Plenty of time to fill out. Again if you have a solid defense it's great to have a qb that can get first downs with his legs

Valid concerns but he looks bigger than Watson to me. He turns 21 in January. Plenty of time to fill out. Again if you have a solid defense it's great to have a qb that can get first downs with his legs

Aaron Rodgers gets first downs with his legs...Andrew luck does too but their strength is in the pocket. Jackson I think will be the most fun to watch out of all the prospects but I fear he will have the least success in the nfl long-term I'm going to keep my fingers crossed we land Rosen or darnold.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

28 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Mayfield is going to go to someone like the Ravens in the 2nd round and go on to be a star.

But I'd go no where near him with our top 5 pick.

We have to get a can't miss for once Darnold/ Rosen.

The only way we get this right is if it's a no brainer.  

2 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

Am I the only fan hoping the Jets win enough to pick 3rd? So they're forced to take Jackson. I know it's a long way till the draft but if this defense improves the way I'm hoping I love the ability of Jackson to pick up first downs with his legs. Couple that with ridiculous arm talent to threaten the sidelines and over the top. He's the type of athlete that can make a defense play 10 vs 11

This might be one of the dumbest things I have seen in here, and that's saying a lot. 

The top two qbs are going to be absolute studs and you are hoping we don't get one of them?   Just stop

Resulting from years of watching the Jets organization's ineptness and bad luck, I have this sinking feeling in my stomach that even if they manage to secure the #1 pick in 2018, no matter who they pick, it will be the wrong choice.  The fact that Mac will likely be making the pick gives me even less confidence.  Hopefully, finally, this team will surprise me.  Fingers crossed.

3 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Resulting from years of watching the Jets organization's ineptness and bad luck, I have this sinking feeling in my stomach that even if they manage to secure the #1 pick in 2018, no matter who they pick, it will be the wrong choice.  The fact that Mac will likely be making the pick gives me even less confidence.  Hopefully, finally, this team will surprise me.  Fingers crossed.

the top 5 qbs in college football coming out this year would be way better than anything the jets have.  plus, petty looked good in preseason, and he has a shot to be a legit nfl qb, even if his destiny is backup.  if petty pans out and hack sucks, that's still a good success rate for qbs not taken in the first round.  i will hold off judging mccags completely until i can see these two qbs this year, assuming bowles ever allows it.

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

the top 5 qbs in college football coming out this year would be way better than anything the jets have.  plus, petty looked good in preseason, and he has a shot to be a legit nfl qb, even if his destiny is backup.  if petty pans out and hack sucks, that's still a good success rate for qbs not taken in the first round.  i will hold off judging mccags completely until i can see these two qbs this year, assuming bowles ever allows it.

The fact that Hackenberg couldn't beat out McCown for the starting job this year and hasn't seen the field yet into year 2 of his career should tell you all you need to know about him. Petty too.  At the very least, it shows what the GM and coaching staff think about them.  Mac has done a bad job as GM so far, there is no way around it.

Here is why I think people look at Jackson in the wrong way.

Jackson has improved his completion percentage this season from 56.2 to 64.7 - after being questioned about accuracy, while playing 2 power 5 teams.  Think for a minute if Josh Allen did that....wouldnt we all be annointing him as having surpassed Darnold due to arm strength and now improved accuracy?  Allen btw has improved a bit from 56 to 62% but that was mostly vs a scrub team.

My point is, that although Jackson is a great runner, he also happens to have an NFL arm, NFL Size (for the most part), and is showing the ability to be a pocket passer - all on top of being a good runner.

Lets give him a fair shake and evaluate the kid as a QB who can run, as opposed to a true NCAA running QB, who doesnt have the arm or field vision to play in the NFL

This past year was the year of the RB with Cook/Fournette/Mixon/Mccaffery/Hunt/Cohen and hopefully Mcguire. Next year is the year of the QB. You have the studs like Darnold/Allen/Rosen that are your more prototypical pocket QBs (although Allen is more of an "Athlete" at this point than a QB"). Then you have an elite athlete in Jackson that is a better runner than passer, but could certainly find ways to win games either way. While I think the team that drafts him will be happy in year 1/2/3, I don't think his style of play is suitable for a long Brady/Manning/Favre/Rodgers career.

And then you have Baker Mayfield who is more of a gimmick. Is he Russel Wilson/Brees or is he Manziel. 

You also have guys knocking on the door in Mason Rudolph/Luke Falk/Nick Fitzgerald and a couple of others that could move up lists. 

As a Jets fans, this is a great year to be in the market for a young QB, but we are the Jets so I am confident we will find a way to screw it up. That is why I want us to go 0-16 and secure the top pick and draft the consensus #1 QB. 

Is Lamar Jackson going to get better? That's the only question you need to ask. When Jackson takes off he makes Tyrod Taylor look slow, lol. Everyone keeps poo pooing running QBs, but how scary would a young Michael Vick look if he played in this new pussified NFL?

Remember, the QB can now give himself up, throw the ball into the stands & you can't touch after the ball is gone, go anywhere near his legs, and on & on. They don't even have the rules protecting QBs in college that the NFL has.

You show Jackson tapes of how Russell Wilson slides, throws the ball away, runs out of bounds, pump fakes & runs. This kid Lamar Jackson under the right tuteledge could be a Randall Cunningham type player but with more protection than Randall ever had when he left the pocket. Plus, it's not easy to put a great Oline together anymore, Dallas, Bills, Raiders, Bucs seem to be the only teams with solid olines. Look how many QBs got wrecked in the 1st week, Savage/Watson- Dalton-Eli- and a bunch more.

I watch Jackson & I think, he's three times the player Geno Smith was so that's good enough for me, lol.

21 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Is Lamar Jackson going to get better? That's the only question you need to ask. When Jackson takes off he makes Tyrod Taylor look slow, lol. Everyone keeps poo pooing running QBs, but how scary would a young Michael Vick look if he played in this new pussified NFL?

Remember, the QB can now give himself up, throw the ball into the stands & you can't touch after the ball is gone, go anywhere near his legs, and on & on. They don't even have the rules protecting QBs in college that the NFL has.

You show Jackson tapes of how Russell Wilson slides, throws the ball away, runs out of bounds, pump fakes & runs. This kid Lamar Jackson under the right tuteledge could be a Randall Cunningham type player but with more protection than Randall ever had when he left the pocket. Plus, it's not easy to put a great Oline together anymore, Dallas, Bills, Raiders, Bucs seem to be the only teams with solid olines. Look how many QBs got wrecked in the 1st week, Savage/Watson- Dalton-Eli- and a bunch more.

I watch Jackson & I think, he's three times the player Geno Smith was so that's good enough for me, lol.

How did the NFL rules protecting QB's work out for Cam Newton last year another guy who runs, and leaves the pocket?

4 hours ago, section314 said:

+1. I'm thinking Macc would have taken Leaf over Peyton. Seriously.

Close.

Macc would have drafted Brian Griese in the 2nd Round, skipping the two #1's.

Instead he would have selected the DE, Andre Wadsworth.

I keep telling the "Suck for (Insert QB Here)" crowd.....just wait, wait till Macc ends up picking third, and doesn't pick a QB at all and goes CB or DT or DE with pick #3.

Be ready, it's coming.:lol:;)

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Close.

Macc would have drafted Brian Griese in the 2nd Round, skipping the two #1's.

Instead he would have selected the DE, Andre Wadsworth.

I keep telling the "Suck for (Insert QB Here)" crowd.....just wait, wait till Macc ends up picking third, and doesn't pick a QB at all and goes CB or DT or DE with pick #3.

Be ready, it's coming.:lol:;)

he's like banyon who keeps ordering the soup, saving the meal for another time.

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

How did the NFL rules protecting QB's work out for Cam Newton last year another guy who runs, and leaves the pocket?

Are you seriously gonna tell me that Cam Newton is as FAST as Lamar Jackson? Seriously? Plus Newtons done a lot of stupid running, diving & sh*t. Like I said, have watch film of Russell Wilson, who the last 2 years has played behind EASILY a bottom 5 offensive line.

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

Are you seriously gonna tell me that Cam Newton is as FAST as Lamar Jackson? Seriously? Plus Newtons done a lot of stupid running, diving & sh*t. Like I said, have watch film of Russell Wilson, who the last 2 years has played behind EASILY a bottom 5 offensive line.

Cam is a linebacker playing QB, Jackson looks like a Point Guard in comparison. Are you saying that Jackson has the arm Cam has? Cam has very strong arm, Jackson can make most throws but doesn't appear to have Cam's velocity. 

You are saying that you think you can teach Jackson to be like Wilson, he is not naturally like Wilson. You are assuming that he would change his style to be like Wilson's, which would probably not work out very well. 

To me Jackson is a player that I will like to watch in the NFL, but not one that I think is a Franchise QB, He has shortened career written on him with his small frame. He is listed at 6-3 211 or 212. How many times do guys go to the combine and their 2 inches shorter and 10-15 lbs lighter.

10 minutes ago, Jetster said:

So your just gonna assume Jackson is more Russel Wilson then Cam Newton, or RGIII?  Great plan.

Archived