Mayfield & Jackson QB Article

KRL

On 9/14/2017 at 6:50 PM, BCJet said:

Here is why I think people look at Jackson in the wrong way.

Jackson has improved his completion percentage this season from 56.2 to 64.7 - after being questioned about accuracy, while playing 2 power 5 teams.  Think for a minute if Josh Allen did that....wouldnt we all be annointing him as having surpassed Darnold due to arm strength and now improved accuracy?  Allen btw has improved a bit from 56 to 62% but that was mostly vs a scrub team.

My point is, that although Jackson is a great runner, he also happens to have an NFL arm, NFL Size (for the most part), and is showing the ability to be a pocket passer - all on top of being a good runner.

Lets give him a fair shake and evaluate the kid as a QB who can run, as opposed to a true NCAA running QB, who doesnt have the arm or field vision to play in the NFL

It's hard to talk about giving him a fair shake after just 3 weeks of the season. Sure, he's averaging 64% throwing after 3 games, but he's played 1 top 25 team (#3 Clemson) and when he did his comp percentage was 50%, the other two teams he played was NC and Purdue. 

On the other hand, Baker Mayfield's worst completion percentage was in his rookie season as a freshman. His completion rate then was 64% his completion rate has gone up every season as well as his TD's. Last season Mayfield completed 71% of his throws. After 3 games this season Mayfield is at 76% completion. That is what you call an NFL arm. He's precise, he scores points and he can do it from the pocket. Jackson is a freak athlete, but it's really hard to gauge what that will be when translating to the NFL. It could work, but if it doesnt and he's restricted to the pocket then that man's arm may be strong, but it isnt "NFL ready", he has NOT proven that. His high of 64% after 3 games is Mayfield's low back in 2013 for the entire season. 

That is the fair shake, what he's doing in college is great, but this is also a guy who went to the Citrus Bowl against LSU, got blown out 29-9 completed just 37% of his passes in a Bowl Game (10-27) for a total of 153 yards in which 53 yards came on 1 pass play and he had 0TD's in the game. 

His college stats made him a Heisman winner, his running ability most definitely his biggest highlight of his QB ability. When a QB's biggest threat is his feet then when he's contained and has to rely on his arm then that's where you see the problem. 

Baker Mayfield isnt nearly (and I mean nowhere near) the rushing athlete that Lamar Jackson is, but when we're talking about down-for-down QB play, Baker Mayfield is the best QB in the college world in terms of his skillset. His ability is translatable to the pro game because he's able to read through progressions and he can hit every level of the offense with his arm strength and he's accurate, not just with percentage, but with ball placement and ability to hit in stride. 

If anyone in college isnt getting a fair shake, it's Baker Mayfield. The two guys who've probably been the most overrated is Jackson and Darnold. I've seen boards on NFL.com that had Jackson as the #1 QB and said that he's elite. NFL.com said that. The guy that was right behind him was Sam Darnold. Jackson is getting much more than a fair shake. It's great to see that Jackson has never had a season where he's thrown double digit INT's, but neither has Mayfield...and when comparing their careers so far Mayfield has almost double the amount of yards, double the amount of TD's and just 7 more INT's...yet Baker has played an entire year more of college football. 

From yesterday:

Rosen - tried to make up for an awful UCLA defense and had his worst game.  He
was a bit reckless in his decision making as he tried to keep pace with Memphis.
But nothing he did makes me mark him down, he's still #1 in my book.  Scoring 45
points and losing tells you how bad UCLA's defense was

Darnold - credit for rallying USC in the last minute and getting to OT.  He continued
to show his gifts but he's now thrown six INT's in three games.  That is unacceptable
and needs to be watched going forward.  I don't care how talented you are turning the
ball over twice a game isn't sustainable

Allen - is now stained as a QB that can't perform against good competition.  Totally
overwhelmed against an Oregon team that isn't as good as years past

Jackson - going against average competition he has a ton of work to do to be a pro QB.
When he goes against a big time defense, LSU in last year's bowl game and Clemson last
night, he looks even worse

Mayfield - his game wasn't on in the area

Rudolph - needs to show me he can perform against good competition

Archived