Can Jets duplicate Raiders' rebuild ? ? ?..It'll take patience & a QB ~ ~ ~

kelly

-- Despite a rough start and a gloomy forecast for the season, New York Jets ownership believes general manager Mike Maccagnan is the right guy to rebuild their talent-starved roster.

But will Johnson & Johnson (Woody and Christopher) feel the same way about their third-year general manager if the team starts 0-10 or something similarly awful?

The Oakland Raiders found themselves in that situation in 2014. General manager Reggie McKenzie, in his third season, had gutted the roster, ridding it of old and overpaid players. It was a massive overhaul and everybody knew it would take time, but people started to wonder about his plan after 34 losses in 42 games, including an 0-10 start in 2014. He wound up building a championship-caliber roster, but there was a rock-bottom period where ownership could have hit the reset button.The Jets, who travel to Oakland this weekend, can use the Raiders as the blueprint for their rebuilding project. Actually, we should call it a black-and-blueprint because there will be bruising along the way. That's inevitable. The question is, will the Jets' bosses remain patient, committed to the current regime, or will they pull the rip cord if it gets really bad?Historically, the Jets have been undermined by a lack of continuity (GMs, coaches, coordinators, quarterbacks, etc.), so you'd like to believe the Johnson brothers will err on the side of stability if there's enough evidence to justify it. They should know quick fixes are rare in the NFL. The Raiders didn't reach the playoffs until 2016, the fifth year of the McKenzie regime. By then, quarterback Derek Carr was in his third year. He survived the 0-10 debacle, refusing to be ruined by the adversity.

"They were terrible," NFL on CBS analyst Rich Gannon said Wednesday of his former team. "The offensive line was bad. They had no running game. The receivers were slow. They had no tight end. This kid, he just stood there and slung it around. He showed poise and toughness and accuracy even though he was getting hit in the face every time he dropped back to throw. But you could see the kid had something special."Carr, arguably the top young quarterback in the sport, became the centerpiece of the Raiders' turnaround. After playing quarterback roulette for two years -- Matt Schaub? Really? -- McKenzie picked Carr in the second round of the 2014 draft and refused to abandon his conviction even after going 0-10.

News flash : The Jets still don't have their Carr, and probably won't get him until the draft next spring, if then.

They keep swinging and missing. They've drafted eight quarterbacks since 2008, tied with the Denver Broncos for the most."It's not just drafting the wrong guy, it's a question of development," Gannon said. "That's part of the problem. They've had so much turnover with the front office and with the coaches and coordinators and systems. It's hard to develop a player that way."McKenzie inherited an 8-8 team in 2012, but the team lacked young talent and was $30 million over the cap. He dumped several big contracts, incurring a league-high $74 million in "dead" charges for 2012 and 2013. They had to pay for the personnel mistakes of Al Davis, who died in 2011, and it restricted their ability to field a competitive team.One thing about Maccagnan's rebuild: His offseason purge resulted in only $18 million in dead money. By next year, he will have an $80 million war chest in cap funds.

While in cap hell, McKenzie stockpiled draft picks and later hit three home runs in 2014, drafting Carr, pass-rushing star Khalil Mack and stud guard Gabe Jackson. He changed head coaches and dived into free agency, spending big bucks to rebuild the offensive line. Their entire line, one of the NFL's best, came via free agency."Both Reggie and I have a great appreciation and affection for offensive-line and defensive-line play," said coach Jack Del Rio, who was hired in 2014. "I think the Jets have big, physical guys on their offensive and defensive lines. Their defensive line is loaded."Once they get their quarterback (Sam Darnold, anyone?), the Jets should focus on protecting him. They also need to upgrade the skill-position talent. Let's face it, they have many needs, too many address in one or two drafts."If I'm the quarterback, who am I going to throw to?" asked Gannon, who worked the Jets-Buffalo Bills opener. "That's the problem."

Well, yes, that's a problem. Maccagnan obliterated the receiving corps, opting for a mix of young kids and veterans that just arrived in town. It will be a painful year for the Jets, and it could get ugly on Sunday in Oakland. Ironically, the team inflicting the damage could be their inspiration.

>      http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/71212/can-jets-duplicate-raiders-rebuild-itll-take-patience-from-ownership

There were four QB's in this draft - make that three since the Bears took Trubisky at 2 - and Mac failed to take a shot at ANY of them. Mahomes would look fantastic in green and white and while I like Jamal Adams and think he will be a great player, the fact that the Jets are STILL keeping fingers crossed for Hackenberg is disgraceful. Bryce Petty is much better, but he may not be starting quality, so really the Jets HAVE NO QB. McCown is a pitty-pat, dink and dunk guy who had to be ordered by Al Davis to throw the ball downfield and he still never really did. I have some doubt about the ability of Mike Maccagnan to evaluate the QB position.

14 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

There were four QB's in this draft - make that three since the Bears took Trubisky at 2 - and Mac failed to take a shot at ANY of them. Mahomes would look fantastic in green and white and while I like Jamal Adams and think he will be a great player, the fact that the Jets are STILL keeping fingers crossed for Hackenberg is disgraceful. Bryce Petty is much better, but he may not be starting quality, so really the Jets HAVE NO QB. McCown is a pitty-pat, dink and dunk guy who had to be ordered by Al Davis to throw the ball downfield and he still never really did. I have some doubt about the ability of Mike Maccagnan to evaluate the QB position.

The only 1 worth taking for us was Trubisky . 

Thank you for posting this article.

The most important thing that I gleened from that article was the fact that organizations matter. 

That ownership must have a genuine game plan that they are willing to stick to even when the waters get choppy.

IMO, It is like treating someone with a gun shot wound; you may have to make an incision in order to get the bullet. Some might argue that the incison is harming the patient in that the patient is being cut and causing some additional trauma and pain; but if that doctor knows what they are doing that pain ends up, if you are fortunate, saving the paitients life.  

Hopefully that is what we are witnessing with Mac and Bowles.   

I mean, the raiders drafted Amari Cooper, khalil Mack, and Derek Carr to cornerstone the franchise. You know, the assets you can only find via the draft in a franchise qb, a #1 WR and an elite pass rusher. 

It's almost like drafting primarily drafting three positions for about ten years now in round 1 (cb, 3-4 DE, and undersized tweener linebacker-safety) is a horrendous way to build your roster in a pass-driven league. 

13 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Thank you for posting this article.

The most important thing that I gleened from that article was the fact that organizations matter. 

That ownership must have a genuine game plan that they are willing to stick to even when the waters get choppy.

IMO, It is like treating someone with a gun shot wound; you may have to make an incision in order to get the bullet. Some might argue that the incison is harming the patient in that the patient is being cut and causing some additional trauma and pain; but if that doctor knows what they are doing that pain ends up, if you are fortunate, saving the paitients life.  

Hopefully that is what we are witnessing with Mac and Bowles.   

the KEY.. is the QB. 

we have to pick a FRANCHISE QB. 

cheers ~ ~ 

:beer:

Mac should have picked a top RB from this year's very talented class.  Passing on all of them and taking a 2nd safety over Dalvin Cook in the 2nd round is going to prove to be an even worse move than picking Hackenberg in the 2nd round last year. Mac has not proven that he has the player evaluation skills or the vision in the draft to be the engineer of the Jets rebuild as far as I'm concerned, but sadly it looks like he's going to get one more shot.

55 minutes ago, kelly said:

the KEY.. is the QB. 

we have to pick a FRANCHISE QB. 

cheers ~ ~ 

:beer:

the key is hitting on your draft picks.  Yes, they got Carr but they also drafted Khalil Mack and Gabe Johnson so while I'm all in on the rebuild you have to hit on your picks or your just in constant rebuild mode like the Browns.

2 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

The only rebuild this franchise is good at emulating is the Cleveland Browns rebuild. They just left 2 star players on the draft board in favor of defensive backs.

I would be thrilled if the Jets rebuild was anywhere close to how successful the CURRENT Browns rebuild is.

They are so much further along.  Corey Coleman, Njoku, Crowell, better OL... and a significantly better defense than the Jets.

Did you see the defense swarming the Steelers on Sunday? Young, hungry, and not intimidated.  And that was without Myles. 

If Kizer can play, and the early returns seem promising, look out in 2019... they're in business.

The Jets?  2020 at the earliest and probably 2021.

17 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I would be thrilled if the Jets rebuild was anywhere close to how successful the CURRENT Browns rebuild is.

They are so much further along.  Corey Coleman, Njoku, Crowell, better OL... and a significantly better defense than the Jets.

Did you see the defense swarming the Steelers on Sunday? Young, hungry, and not intimidated.  And that was without Myles. 

If Kizer can play, and the early returns seem promising, look out in 2019... they're in business.

The Jets?  2020 at the earliest and probably 2021.

Im on board for 2020 if part of that equation consists of a young stud qb progressing 2018 and 19

2 hours ago, Tinstar said:

The only 1 worth taking for us was Trubisky . 

The only way the Mac plan makes sense if they acknowledged that they would be picking high in 2018 and the QBs available would all better than what they could have drafted in 2017.

That would be a very unusual strategy for the most important position in football.

But that would question why they signed Claiborne and McCown.  This team is completely confused.

46 minutes ago, varjet said:

The only way the Mac plan makes sense if they acknowledged that they would be picking high in 2018 and the QBs available would all better than what they could have drafted in 2017.

That would be a very unusual strategy for the most important position in football.

But that would question why they signed Claiborne and McCown.  This team is completely confused.

Seems to me the only 1 asking questions that don't need answers are the fans . Every single question is answered on game day but the only thing is will the fans like the answers or won't .

I understand the point and the Raiders look good but they haven't done anything yet to aspire to. 
Get a QB, draft players that can play, not rocket science 

They made the playoffs last season and likely would have gone deep into them if they werent stuck playing their third string qb...looking back at all those high draft picks they had in the past and how they are now a serious playoff contender I think it is safe to say they have done something to aspire to

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

8 hours ago, peebag said:

Certainly the Jets can be horrific for over a decade.  I fully expect it.

well we can look at it this way.  if mac and bowles get extended after this season then we will have maybe one or two more seasons of futility.  this assumes that this season's team progresses enough to show some good promise. if they get launched then we can expect 3 seasons and that depends on how well macs draft picks pan out and fit into the next system.

3 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

They made the playoffs last season and likely would have gone deep into them if they werent stuck playing their third string qb...looking back at all those high draft picks they had in the past and how they are now a serious playoff contender I think it is safe to say they have done something to aspire to

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

they have a good team but i would not consider jack del rio a good coach.  they probably have a good bunch of assistants.

Archived