PFF’s top Five Jets From Season Opener

JetNation

IMG_5844.jpg

Pro Football Focus, the website dedicated to watching every single player on every single snap of the NFL season released their top five grades for Gang Green’s week one game against the Bills.

The rankings are slightly different from those released the day after the game as PFF does multiple cross-checks to ensure accuracy, which will sometimes see a grade go up or down.

All five players who scored well per PFF, also made our list of players who stood out in the Jets’ 21-12 loss earlier in the week.

Free agent waiver Claim Kony Ealy topped the list, a result of applying consistent pressure on Tyrod Taylor throughout the game, while Jordan Jenkins, who was stellar in setting the edge and Leonard Williams who had a pair of pressures and several run stops was just behind Ealy at 81.0.

Also a respectable day from rookie safety Jamal Adams and the newly acquired Jermaine Kearse, who, despite just a handful of practices with Josh McCown in John Morton’s offense, was able to come away with 7 receptions for 59 yards.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
c7_ZgLFS2Ak

Click here to read the full story...

Another one of the guys we picked as a young player who had a strong game was Josh Martin, and just found this note on him from the Buffalo game.

New York Jets: Outside linebacker Josh Martin had an average depth of tackle of -4.0 yards, which was the best for all defensive players with three or more tackles.

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

I wonder what they saw in Jenkins to score him so highly.  He's a set the edge guy and he did a very poor job of it.  TE's were wide open, no sacks or pressures, constantly on skates.  What did he do well? 

They are assuming that because his job was to set the edge that he was not supposed to get sacks, pressures, or even penetrate. He did his job, kept contain and the MLBs did not fill their gaps. 

4 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

They are assuming that because his job was to set the edge that he was not supposed to get sacks, pressures, or even penetrate. He did his job, kept contain and the MLBs did not fill their gaps. 

Almost 200 yards rushing, contain was broke, a lot.  Jenkins gets pushed off the spot with ease.  It's a curious grade.

32 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Another one of the guys we picked as a young player who had a strong game was Josh Martin, and just found this note on him from the Buffalo game.

New York Jets: Outside linebacker Josh Martin had an average depth of tackle of -4.0 yards, which was the best for all defensive players with three or more tackles.

Martin looked like the best player the Jets had on defense. Williams is overrated, I saw him stick out an arm on one play to stop Shady McCoy. Not a shoulder or diving at his legs, he stuck an arm out there and then stopped playing. Adams is the real deal, but our GM traded the best DL we have, Sheldon Richardson. Mo Wilkerson is a joke and like I said Williams hasn't shown Pro Bowl anything yet. I still say they would ALL be better in a 4-3 defense, as would Darren Lee, but I don't coach the Jets....Todd Bowles does.

14 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Bowles 3-4 defense is a total joke. They have an outside guy - Darren Lee - playing inside and an inside guy - Jenkins - playing outside. Plus they have a deep front line and yet only utilize three at a time. Stupid is as stupid does and Bowles is as stupid as any yet to be fired coach that I have seen.

45 minutes ago, JiF said:

I wonder what they saw in Jenkins to score him so highly.  He's a set the edge guy and he did a very poor job of it.  TE's were wide open, no sacks or pressures, constantly on skates.  What did he do well? 

He re-directed a lot of runs, standing his man up and getting push back toward the play.  That's basically his role in the defense.  He's not going to be called upon to cover TE's and he did have some pressure.  PFF  says they counted one but I was sure he had a couple.  Somebody asked them the same question, this was the answer from PFF.

36 minutes ago, JiF said:

Almost 200 yards rushing, contain was broke, a lot.  Jenkins gets pushed off the spot with ease.  It's a curious grade.

Gonna' re-watch the game again once All 22 is posted (they're having issues with it on NFL Game Pass Europe) but I've watched the game a couple times and seen several gif's of his play.  I don't recall seeing him get pushed off his spot with ease at all.  Do you remember any specific plays?

10 minutes ago, AFJF said:

He re-directed a lot of runs, standing his man up and getting push back toward the play.  That's basically his role in the defense.  He's not going to be called upon to cover TE's and he did have some pressure.  PFF  says they counted one but I was sure he had a couple.  Somebody asked them the same question, this was the answer from PFF.

Redirecting runners?  Really? Ok.  That sounds more like someone not able to make the play but if that scores high than cool.  Maybe he did that a lot.  

Just now, JiF said:

Redirecting runners?  Really? Ok.  That sounds more like someone not able to make the play but if that scores high than cool.  Maybe he did that a lot.  

Yeah, it's what some defenses call on players to do.  Calvin Pace made a 10-year career of it.

10 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Gonna' re-watch the game again once All 22 is posted (they're having issues with it on NFL Game Pass Europe) but I've watched the game a couple times and seen several gif's of his play.  I don't recall seeing him get pushed off his spot with ease at all.  Do you remember any specific plays?

I recall a few runs plays to Tolbert that he got handled with ease once by a TE and the other a pulling Guard.  They ran the ball well all day and nobody on the front 7 was really getting a good push so it's hard for me to remember which particular successful run play Jenkins got pushed around on.  It clearly was a bunch, hence 200 yards rushing. 

1 minute ago, JiF said:

I recall a few runs plays to Tolbert that he got handled with ease once by a TE and the other a pulling Guard.  They ran the ball well all day and nobody on the front 7 was really getting a good push so it's hard for me to remember which particular successful run play Jenkins got pushed around on.  It clearly was a bunch, hence 200 yards rushing. 

Yeah, I saw lots of runs where the back cut back inside and Jenkins' side was closed off.  If the DT's and ILB's stay in their lanes, it's a loss.  As it stood, Lee and Harris were bailing on the middle of the field all day, leaving things wide open.  Jenkins was doing  his job, but DL and ILB's...not so much.

8 minutes ago, JiF said:

You mention two plays out of the game and then continue to judge his performance based entirely off of total yards rushing. If McCoy starts a run to the right and there is no lane because Jenkins is doing his job and cuts back left and then picks up 20 yards, that isn't on Jenkins. That is on the 5-7 other players that should have been filling the areas where Shady had space. I'm not saying Jenkins had a great game, because I didn't single him out and watch him more than a few times but without actually going back and looking at the tape I find it hard to understand why you are so adamant that he didn't do his job. 

Just now, AFJF said:

Yeah, it's what some defenses call on players to do.  Calvin Pace made a 10-year career of it.

I'm aware of his role.  But again, they ran for 200 yards.  I have a hard time accepting a run stuffing/redirecting/edge setting LBer played well on that type of a day.  Plus, I watched him get pushed off the spot a few times.  Which is cool, it happens, I'm just having a hard time with the grade based on what I remeber.  

I hope you see something I didn't but I didn't walk away impressed with anyone on D other than Martin, Ealy and Adams.

1 minute ago, JetFreak89 said:

You mention two plays out of the game and then continue to judge his performance based entirely off of total yards rushing. If McCoy starts a run to the right and there is no lane because Jenkins is doing his job and cuts back left and then picks up 20 yards, that isn't on Jenkins. That is on the 5-7 other players that should have been filling the areas where Shady had space. I'm not saying Kenkins had a great game, because I didn't single him out and watch him more than a few times but without actually going back and looking at the tape I find it hard to understand why you are so adamant that he didn't do his job. 

Exaclty.  Giving him a good grade, PFF isn't saying that he was never once blocked during the entire game.  Everybody gets blocked sometimes.  Jenkins was very good on Sunday.

4 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Yeah, I saw lots of runs where the back cut back inside and Jenkins' side was closed off.  If the DT's and ILB's stay in their lanes, it's a loss.  As it stood, Lee and Harris were bailing on the middle of the field all day, leaving things wide open.  Jenkins was doing  his job, but DL and ILB's...not so much.

Davis and Lee are terrible Football players so it may have been all on them and Jenkins was a rock on his side.  They did seem to run a lot to the other side and get a bunch of cut block lanes away from Jenkins but then there were plays he got pushed around.

Again, it's a long game and they were on the field a lot and got the ball run down their throat.  Saying someone "looked great vs the run" is hard to swallow when they gave up 200 yards rushing.  It's not the end of the world, I just didn't see him doing anything particularly impressive that would garner such high praise.  

7 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

You mention two plays out of the game and then continue to judge his performance based entirely off of total yards rushing. If McCoy starts a run to the right and there is no lane because Jenkins is doing his job and cuts back left and then picks up 20 yards, that isn't on Jenkins. That is on the 5-7 other players that should have been filling the areas where Shady had space. I'm not saying Kenkins had a great game, because I didn't single him out and watch him more than a few times but without actually going back and looking at the tape I find it hard to understand why you are so adamant that he didn't do his job. 

Pretty sure I'm just trying to figure out the grade.  I didn't say he didn't do his job.  I asked why the high grade.  It has been explained to me, I still question it because the Bills ran for 200 yards but like I said, I watched him get pushed around on a few plays so it's hard for me to just to nod my head and say yeah, he played well.  

8 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Exaclty.  Giving him a good grade, PFF isn't saying that he was never once blocked during the entire game.  Everybody gets blocked sometimes.  Jenkins was very good on Sunday.

Cool. Again, hard for me to say anyone played "very good" but cool.  Glad your excited about his edge setting ability.  If only we had LBers with some instinct to fill the gaps and make plays. 

10 minutes ago, JiF said:

Cool. Again, hard for me to say anyone played "very good" but cool.  Glad your excited about his edge setting ability.  If only we had LBers with some instinct to fill the gaps and make plays. 

Yup.  I'm  good with a guy who does his job well and is one less player to worry about.  Not everybody is going to be Khalil Mack, and it's nice to have a Calvin Pace instead of another Vernon Gholston.

41 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Jets fans spent all week complaining about the defense, and the coach that wanted to put the defense back on the field with 4 minutes left. 

turns out the defense is the only decent part of this crap shack. 

My favorite compliant all week was that "Bowles isn't showing confidence in his offense."

Ummmm... Should he?

2 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

how can you have any top players when you lose? I just don't get that.

BTW, what did Williams do so great besides get pushed around all game?

Individual players can play well despite the efforts of those players failing around them.

If a guy gets 8 sacks and his team loses, I'd still say that guy probably played well.

26 minutes ago, JiF said:

Davis and Lee are terrible Football players so it may have been all on them and Jenkins was a rock on his side.  They did seem to run a lot to the other side and get a bunch of cut block lanes away from Jenkins but then there were plays he got pushed around.

Again, it's a long game and they were on the field a lot and got the ball run down their throat.  Saying someone "looked great vs the run" is hard to swallow when they gave up 200 yards rushing.  It's not the end of the world, I just didn't see him doing anything particularly impressive that would garner such high praise.  

It's possible, I think, to be one of the top 5 Jets last Sunday and also play only okay.

5 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Yup.  I'm  good with a guy who does his job well and is one less player to worry about.  Not everybody is going to be Khalil Mack, and it's nice to have a Calvin Pace instead of another Vernon Gholston.

Just watched a ton of highlights.  Not every play but focused on Jordan and he was better than I remember.  Got stone-walled a few times by a TE and the LT but otherwise held his own.  He wasn't getting put on skates like I thought, just not exactly what I would call "winning" the one on one blocks.  Definitely held contain better than I thought.  A few times he did shed the blocks nicely.  The problem is for him the times he did break free and have a shot a RB or QB, he's slow as molasses. 

Archived