nfl week 1 ratings

batman10023

I believe ratings are down because people are tired of seeing their team lose, the game has  become pussified in conjunction with the modern "male", the lack of characters in the game, also the lack of character in the game. My generation brought the female viewer in adding large numbers so we are taking them out, not to mention diversity of the country etc. etc. In todays world it's hard to pinpoint a number of things so many more people so many reasons.

5 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

I believe ratings are down because people are tired of seeing their team lose, the game has  become pussified in conjunction with the modern "male", the lack of characters in the game, also the lack of character in the game. My generation brought the female viewer in adding large numbers so we are taking them out, not to mention diversity of the country etc. etc. In todays world it's hard to pinpoint a number of things so many more people so many reasons.

well half the teams win each week.. unless your point is that a whole bunch of teams are destined to suck each year.

personally i think your wrong about the pussified comment - i think if anything higher scoring has lead to more people interested and more fantasy interest.

24 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

+1. This is definitely not the same game I grew up watching. I couldn't imagine players like Butkus playing today.

20 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

well half the teams win each week.. unless your point is that a whole bunch of teams are destined to suck each year.

personally i think your wrong about the pussified comment - i think if anything higher scoring has lead to more people interested and more fantasy interest.

For me and many people I know, the sport becoming pussyfied is the major reason I don't watch it much anymore. Thanks to the cheating Cindy Brady you can't even touch a quarterback anymore including tackling low. Every pass play where there's a big hit is almost always a personal foul. The other main reasons IMO is that the NFL has become very political, and their overall greediness. I'm glad their ratings are low and hope they get even worse. Maybe then they'll finally do something to un pussify it

4 minutes ago, billo83 said:

For me and many people I know, the sport becoming pussyfied is the major reason I don't watch it much anymore. Thanks to the cheating Cindy Brady you can't even touch a quarterback anymore including tackling low. Every pass play where there's a big hit is almost always a personal foul. The other main reasons IMO is that the NFL has become very political, and their overall greediness. I'm glad their ratings are low and hope they get even worse. Maybe then they'll finally do something to un pussify it

a few points:

the NFL has always been political.  Big Flags to start the game, national anthem.   it's just now the politics are coming a different angle and it's uncomfortable for some people.

the greed has gotten worse and worse.  i agree with you 100% on that.

while the high scoring/QB dominance probably makes it less enjoyable for you and i and others in our cohort, i am sure they did studies that said this was better for bringing in more people.   sure, you might say you won't watch as any games and such - but your still posting on a NFL chatboard and so heavily involved.  they figure most of us will stick around and then can get more to watch also.

part of the "pussyfied" is also just realization of player safety.    

1 hour ago, batman10023 said:

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/nfl-ratings-hurricane-irma-1202559149/

obviously skewed due to irma and the impact but across the board pretty poor ratings.

the opener on thursday night down 12% or so, that was prior to Irma.  

if this season ratings are down again that's not going to be good for the health of football.

There are only 5 NFL teams with good quarterbacks.  No one else has a chance to win.

I myself and bored with the NFL and I'm as diehard as they come.  Because the NFL changed the rules and made it such a QB-friendly league the deck is stacked against teams without one.

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

There are only 5 NFL teams with good quarterbacks.  No one else has a chance to win.

I myself and bored with the NFL and I'm as diehard as they come.

SAR I

ditto.  didn't even watch the season opener this year (thursday night).  missed 90% of the sunday night game also.

two things that could improve the competitive balance -  more holding calls on the offensive line (when appropriate) and less pass interference calls on DBs.  this doesn't impact player safety but makes the QB advantage less.

if we have a decade of just a handful of teams wining the super bowl, the business of football is gone.

2 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

this could be the case.

probably because today's men are out getting pedicure and other "modern" male stuff.   no time for football and baseball and stuff like that.

Don't let me get in the way of a good millennial rant, but if I had to speculate, it has to do with the increased inaccessibility of the games.  Sure, stubhub et al makes it easy at times, but the cost for a family of four to go to a game at regular price is at least $500.  That's a lot of money for most families.  Not going to games depletes the emotional attachment, and thus the overall fan base.  Just my opinion though.

6 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Don't let me get in the way of a good millennial rant, but if I had to speculate, it has to do with the increased inaccessibility of the games.  Sure, stubhub et al makes it easy at times, but the cost for a family of four to go to a game at regular price is at least $500.  That's a lot of money for most families.  Not going to games depletes the emotional attachment, and thus the overall fan base.  Just my opinion though.

ha ha.  i just love the old timers blasting today's youth/game/whatever.  it's what old folks do.  it's fun to watch.

the cost of the games has gotten very expensive agreed - but you can go for less than 500 bucks.  not much but it can happen (probably $350).

but, we are looking to go to hersey park for a weekend in october, for our family of 4.  between hotels, tickets, food it's going to turn into a $1500-$1800 two day weekend.  Crap is just expensive nowadays.

The Pats game took FOREVER-long pregame, lots of ads, long half time, and with the Pats behind all 4th quarter lots of clock stoppages for incompletions, out of bounds et al. The NFL has to be careful not to become like MLB with long stretches when nothing happens. The ad revenue might be great, but people are checking out of falling asleep. 

32 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

ditto.  didn't even watch the season opener this year (thursday night).  missed 90% of the sunday night game also.

two things that could improve the competitive balance -  more holding calls on the offensive line (when appropriate) and less pass interference calls on DBs.  this doesn't impact player safety but makes the QB advantage less.

if we have a decade of just a handful of teams wining the super bowl, the business of football is gone.

Yes.  And beyond the lack of quarterbacks:

Coaches are playing the game to kill the clock and shorten the action.  Clock rules are designed to maximize commercials and shorten the action.   It's gotten to the point where you get like 4 drives per quarter, by the time you look up it's the fourth quarter, you've barely seen any gameplay, if you're lucky you've seen one exciting big play, and you've been forced to watch a million commercials.  And then there are 4 minutes left and things are the way they should be-  exciting.

The NFL has allowed itself to become the NBA.  55 minutes of wasted time, 5 minutes of action.

SAR I

59 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

a few points:

the NFL has always been political.  Big Flags to start the game, national anthem.   it's just now the politics are coming a different angle and it's uncomfortable for some people.

the greed has gotten worse and worse.  i agree with you 100% on that.

while the high scoring/QB dominance probably makes it less enjoyable for you and i and others in our cohort, i am sure they did studies that said this was better for bringing in more people.   sure, you might say you won't watch as any games and such - but your still posting on a NFL chatboard and so heavily involved.  they figure most of us will stick around and then can get more to watch also.

part of the "pussyfied" is also just realization of player safety.    

The league is much much more political than it's ever been. Not even close.

The byproduct of making it a high-scoring league is that it becomes quarterback driven and takes other elements out like the running game. So if your team doesn't have a good quarterback, it takes a a lot of interest out of it. The NFL may have done their studies but obviously it's not working since they are losing attendance and viewers. Just look at the 49ers attendance on opening day as an example of what happens when you don't have a good quarterback in today's League. Fans have no interest or hope.

Me being on a football message board has nothing to do with whether or not I'm going to attend a game or watch a game. I used to watch all the Sunday Monday and Thursday games that were televised. I now pretty much only watch Jets games and I didn't watch the opener. And that is because of any of the reasons I've already stated, and a direct correlation to the loss of ratings and attendance the NFL is complaining about.

Yes the NFL is concerned about player safety, but in my opinion they go way overboard. They are taking out too much of the toughness which is an integeral part of the game. How many times have you seen a defensive back penalized on a good hit when the helmet never touches the wide receiver, or when there's incidental contact? They can fix this issue by making it a penalty only when there's an attempt to lead with a helmet. 

my favorite Aesop's fable is the one about the bulldog carrying a giant bone all over town, showing it off. That is, until this bulldog was crossing a bridge, looked down into the water, saw his reflection, and mistook it for a dog with a bigger bone. The dog barks and the bone falls out of his mouth, splashing into the water and ruining the reflection, and then the dog had no bone.

The problem with the NFL, MLB, and ESPN is that they took their loyal, established customer base (older suburban dudes) for granted and went hard after demos that were probably never going to buy into the product in the first place: Goodell decided to go hard after the European market, as well as the 19-34 female demo. ESPN went hard after millenials and urban communities. The MLB decided it was an international game. In so doing, they each scheduled games at all hours of the night, every day of the week, and saturated the living sh*t out of the market. Thursday Night Football is so bad and the teams are so unprepared that it serves only as a horrid  preview for a movie that no one will end up seeing (think: Justice League). They also tailored the attendant commentary and analysis to speak to non-sports fans too disinterested to understand the sport in the first place, which dumbed it down to such a degree that Terry Bradshaw and Deion Sanders currently maintain employment. They raised ticket prices, concession prices, tacked on PSL fees, and started charging $50 for parking spots a full mile from the front gates of their stadiums. So not only did these leagues and broadcasters stop marketing to the loyal, gainfully employed, invested sports fan, they also priced them out and mocked them on the way out the door. And, guess what, the suburban dude demo is the only one with disposable incomes. I don't feel bad for any of these leagues. I think, within 20 years, we'll see contraction in MLB. I think at least five more NFL teams will move out of their current cities. I think WFAN will only be available on Sirius at some point. And I think ESPN will adopt a format similar to MTV, where they show nothing but reality-type programming and 30 for 30s. 

As an aside, the only league that seems to understand what it is, and what it's selling is the NBA. 

5 hours ago, batman10023 said:

Fantasy interest, no that in itself is gay.

27 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

my favorite Aesop's fable is the one about the bulldog carrying a giant bone all over town, showing it off. That is, until this bulldog was crossing a bridge, looked down into the water, saw his reflection, and mistook it for a dog with a bigger bone. The dog barks and the bone falls out of his mouth, splashing into the water and ruining the reflection, and then the dog had no bone.

The problem with the NFL, MLB, and ESPN is that they took their loyal, established customer base (older suburban dudes) for granted and went hard after demos that were probably never going to buy into the product in the first place: Goodell decided to go hard after the European market, as well as the 19-34 female demo. ESPN went hard after millenials and urban communities. The MLB decided it was an international game. In so doing, they each scheduled games at all hours of the night, every day of the week, and saturated the living sh*t out of the market. Thursday Night Football is so bad and the teams are so unprepared that it serves only as a horrid  preview for a movie that no one will end up seeing (think: Justice League). They also tailored the attendant commentary and analysis to speak to non-sports fans too disinterested to understand the sport in the first place, which dumbed it down to such a degree that Terry Bradshaw and Deion Sanders currently maintain employment. They raised ticket prices, concession prices, tacked on PSL fees, and started charging $50 for parking spots a full mile from the front gates of their stadiums. So not only did these leagues and broadcasters stop marketing to the loyal, gainfully employed, invested sports fan, they also priced them out and mocked them on the way out the door. And, guess what, the suburban dude demo is the only one with disposable incomes. I don't feel bad for any of these leagues. I think, within 20 years, we'll see contraction in MLB. I think at least five more NFL teams will move out of their current cities. I think WFAN will only be available on Sirius at some point. And I think ESPN will adopt a format similar to MTV, where they show nothing but reality-type programming and 30 for 30s. 

As an aside, the only league that seems to understand what it is, and what it's selling is the NBA. 

Agree with everything, except the NBA(see below).

Exhibit A1-MetLife Stadium. 

And these pro sports are doing this silliness at the exact time when technology makes watching the game from your home or a bar way more pleasant than actually going.Pay through the nose to get treated liked a criminal, or sit on the couch or go out for drinks with pals? Not a hard decision.

The NBA regular season is unwatchable.  It's cap rules now are covered more than the games. There is a significant likelihood their rights fees will drop in their next TV contract.Nobody needs to watch a single game until well into the playoffs. 

7 hours ago, SAR I said:

I myself and bored with the NFL and I'm as diehard as they come.  Because the NFL changed the rules and made it such a QB-friendly league the deck is stacked against teams without one.

SAR I

Jim Brown wouldn't even be a big deal today.....

The clowns that are running the game are in fact ruining it!!!

4 hours ago, Kevin L said:

Games are too long, too many commercials, Thursday night games are not only oversaturation, they're usually terrible games.

Too many bad teams, not enough QBs to go around, bad refereeing. The list is endless.

For non jet games I almost always dvr and start 45 minutes later. Usually caught up by 4th quarter and then I can watch live

A lot of good points already, I will add the a$$hole factor.

After Tomlin was caught calling the Patriots assholes, one of the Steelers made a good point.

I'm paraphrasing, but he said"we are all assholes, we hit each other for a living"

Add to that the over saturation of information about these guys, and not a lot of them are even tolerable. 

3 hours ago, billo83 said:

The league is much much more political than it's ever been. Not even close.

The byproduct of making it a high-scoring league is that it becomes quarterback driven and takes other elements out like the running game. So if your team doesn't have a good quarterback, it takes a a lot of interest out of it. The NFL may have done their studies but obviously it's not working since they are losing attendance and viewers. Just look at the 49ers attendance on opening day as an example of what happens when you don't have a good quarterback in today's League. Fans have no interest or hope.

Me being on a football message board has nothing to do with whether or not I'm going to attend a game or watch a game. I used to watch all the Sunday Monday and Thursday games that were televised. I now pretty much only watch Jets games and I didn't watch the opener. And that is because of any of the reasons I've already stated, and a direct correlation to the loss of ratings and attendance the NFL is complaining about.

Yes the NFL is concerned about player safety, but in my opinion they go way overboard. They are taking out too much of the toughness which is an integeral part of the game. How many times have you seen a defensive back penalized on a good hit when the helmet never touches the wide receiver, or when there's incidental contact? They can fix this issue by making it a penalty only when there's an attempt to lead with a helmet. 

onky recently has attendance and ratings been down.  It's been moving towards a passing league for a while now. 

They need to do something about the lack of qb and impact on the game. I think they can do stuff with the rules to make it more competitive without sacrifice player safety.   You aren't going to change that player safety trend. 

Are some of the unnecessary roughness penalties stupid. Yes I think so but the game has changed due to injuries and concussions.  

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

If people stop going they will have to lower prices. 

And you need to make it accessible for folks with kids.  They are the future fans of the game.  But they realize in the short term selling luxury seats is more profitable. 

I am giving this rebuild two years. If no progress I am giving up my seats. 

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

Agree with everything, except the NBA(see below).

Exhibit A1-MetLife Stadium. 

And these pro sports are doing this silliness at the exact time when technology makes watching the game from your home or a bar way more pleasant than actually going.Pay through the nose to get treated liked a criminal, or sit on the couch or go out for drinks with pals? Not a hard decision.

The NBA regular season is unwatchable.  It's cap rules now are covered more than the games. There is a significant likelihood their rights fees will drop in their next TV contract.Nobody needs to watch a single game until well into the playoffs. 

Yeah, but the NBA knows its regular season is garbage, but they have the luxury of 15-man rosters and 41 home dates. Then they cash in with their playoffs. 

33 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

If people stop going they will have to lower prices. 

And you need to make it accessible for folks with kids.  They are the future fans of the game.  But they realize in the short term selling luxury seats is more profitable. 

I am giving this rebuild two years. If no progress I am giving up my seats. 

If people stop giving cable companies $150, $200 dollars per month, then the NFL will be in trouble, imo. I don't think they even care about the gate.

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If people stop giving cable companies $150, $200 dollars per month, then the NFL will be in trouble, imo. I don't think they even care about the gate.

You're right, the gate means very little.  It's all about the TV revenue.  Most of what my family watches on TV these days are binged Netflix series, an occasional HBO or Showtime series, and only one or two shows of any decent quality on the major networks.  Modern Family, This Is Us, I can't think of many more. 

If it weren't for the NFL, we'd have little use for CBS, NBC, FOX, or ABC.  There is more than enough content on Netflix, Amazon Prime, and YouTube to keep us entertained for the whopping 3 hours a night we actually are watching TV, usually the Rangers or Yankees.

SAR I

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Disagree there.

The NHL is just the right size to stay profitable, they have a very loyal audience that sticks, they only need to sell 16,000 seats to have a full arena, and it's a very fast game with no breaks in the action.  Most important of all, the players are incredibly loyal to their teams, their fans, and they play with an unselfish passion.  You ask me, that's what's missing from the NFL. 

Amongst all it's problems with pacing, commercials, QB depth, etc. etc., it's the nonchalant demeanor of the NFL's spoiled, selfish players that ultimately causes the most grief.  You can just tell that the players hate their ownership, only care about their money, don't give a crap about winning a championship.

SAR I

6 hours ago, gEYno said:

Ratings of all sports are down, not just football, no?

Yes, millennials don't typically watch 3-4 hour games. They watch short clips in their phones.

Nothing to do with "pussification", but I always laugh at hearing that because it's those "tough" old generations that bitch endlessly about everything. It's not diversity either. It's just a societal shift in media consumption habits.

6 hours ago, batman10023 said:

In the ten seasons that spanned between 1980-1989, only 5 teams won championships (4 from the NFC), and the majority of those games were atrocious 1 sided affairs. The league can withstand this, but the difference is the level of play was much better and the game way more physical. 

The fact is the game was just better back in the day.

Archived