nfl week 1 ratings

batman10023

9 hours ago, batman10023 said:

ha ha.  i just love the old timers blasting today's youth/game/whatever.  it's what old folks do.  it's fun to watch.

the cost of the games has gotten very expensive agreed - but you can go for less than 500 bucks.  not much but it can happen (probably $350).

but, we are looking to go to hersey park for a weekend in october, for our family of 4.  between hotels, tickets, food it's going to turn into a $1500-$1800 two day weekend.  Crap is just expensive nowadays.

Thank God we old folks won't be here to listen  to the Spanish and Arabic being spoken. Being a fan has little to do with going to a game and you don't have to spend that kind of money.

8 hours ago, glenn31 said:

In the ten seasons that spanned between 1980-1989, only 5 teams won championships (4 from the NFC), and the majority of those games were atrocious 1 sided affairs. The league can withstand this, but the difference is the level of play was much better and the game way more physical. 

The fact is the game was just better back in the day.

Cable TV and especially regional sports networks didn't hit a critical mass outside of major cities until 1987.

Video games died by 1985 and weren't a major media factor again for another 10 years thereafter.

No cellphones.

No internet.

It was a completely different time, you can't compare it to today with the entertainment options we have at our fingertips.

SAR I

9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

If people stop giving cable companies $150, $200 dollars per month, then the NFL will be in trouble, imo. I don't think they even care about the gate.

The TV rights fees has for a long time been high enough that every NFL team would, when you discount depreciation of the stadiums that municipalities and states paid for anyway, be in the black. They could play  and broadcast the games without a single paid ticket and still make money.  

8 hours ago, 20andOut said:

In addition to the lack of offense last nights game seemed to have a ridiculous amount of commercials!

One thing the NFL could adopt form soccer is edge of the screen ads while action is still going on.The constant stoppages are really ridiculous. One more thing soccer has going for it long term;the game is typically over and done with in about 2+ hours. 

15 hours ago, billo83 said:

For me and many people I know, the sport becoming pussyfied is the major reason I don't watch it much anymore. Thanks to the cheating Cindy Brady you can't even touch a quarterback anymore including tackling low. Every pass play where there's a big hit is almost always a personal foul. The other main reasons IMO is that the NFL has become very political, and their overall greediness. I'm glad their ratings are low and hope they get even worse. Maybe then they'll finally do something to un pussify it

I don't like watching nearly as much.   Every game has a BS roughing the QB, and every game has at least 1 pass interference, where even the announcers are like, "I'm watching the relay, and I see nothing".

The Rams and Chargers are going to be a wakeup call for the NFL   They are both going to draw absolute crap in that new stadium.   The Chargers especially left a good football town and a good fan base, and went to a town known for not caring about NFL teams.

9 hours ago, SAR I said:

Disagree there.

The NHL is just the right size to stay profitable, they have a very loyal audience that sticks, they only need to sell 16,000 seats to have a full arena, and it's a very fast game with no breaks in the action.  Most important of all, the players are incredibly loyal to their teams, their fans, and they play with an unselfish passion.  You ask me, that's what's missing from the NFL. 

Amongst all it's problems with pacing, commercials, QB depth, etc. etc., it's the nonchalant demeanor of the NFL's spoiled, selfish players that ultimately causes the most grief.  You can just tell that the players hate their ownership, only care about their money, don't give a crap about winning a championship.

SAR I

That isn't helping either.   A player whines about wanting to get "respect", he gets paid, and he dogs it.   Time after time the big contracts blow up in people's faces. 

9 hours ago, SAR I said:

Disagree there.

The NHL is just the right size to stay profitable, they have a very loyal audience that sticks, they only need to sell 16,000 seats to have a full arena, and it's a very fast game with no breaks in the action.  Most important of all, the players are incredibly loyal to their teams, their fans, and they play with an unselfish passion.  You ask me, that's what's missing from the NFL. 

Amongst all it's problems with pacing, commercials, QB depth, etc. etc., it's the nonchalant demeanor of the NFL's spoiled, selfish players that ultimately causes the most grief.  You can just tell that the players hate their ownership, only care about their money, don't give a crap about winning a championship.

SAR I

I understand that while I love the NHL, it's always going to be a niche sport. Even if by some miracle PK Subban joined a big city team that wears blue and became a household name and media sensation by winning a Norris Trophy and a Cup, that probably will not change.   I know that unlike any of the other 3 major sports the last 5 minutes of a do or die  playoff are not going to take much more than 5 minutes. And that for the most part every player on both teams are going to break their asses in that 5 minutes. But you have to remember that not everyone played ice or even roller hockey. It's not a sport many people ever played as kids. And  the puck is hard to follow. 

... and yet, the draft drew a couple hundred thousand people.  My sense is that the early TV ratings are a reflection of the ADHD world we are in with short attention spans.  Early in the season ratings will be down, but they will pick up around thanksgiving, and by the time we hit the super bowl there will be huge ratings.  Sustaining attention in this rapid media world is really hard.  Particularly when teams suck in the large markets (like NY) and Los Angeles. 

53 minutes ago, Better2bgreenthanblue said:

Maybe rushing TD's should be worth 7 points. It'll put a premium on RB, and exciting goal line battles. 

Wow now that is an interesting idea that I have never heard of before.  If you give the team two additional points going one step further then I think that it would change the game!

1 hour ago, Better2bgreenthanblue said:

Maybe rushing TD's should be worth 7 points. It'll put a premium on RB, and exciting goal line battles. 

I like the idea a lot, but I don't think the NFL would approve it.  It seems like they are all in on making this a high scoring passing league

2 hours ago, Bugg said:

I understand that while I love the NHL, it's always going to be a niche sport. Even if by some miracle PK Subban joined a big city team that wears blue and became a household name and media sensation by winning a Norris Trophy and a Cup, that probably will not change.   I know that unlike any of the other 3 major sports the last 5 minutes of a do or die  playoff are not going to take much more than 5 minutes. And that for the most part every player on both teams are going to break their asses in that 5 minutes. But you have to remember that not everyone played ice or even roller hockey. It's not a sport many people ever played as kids. And  the puck is hard to follow. 

Agreed, I'm not contending that the NHL will ever be a very popular sport.  Just saying that the players being loyal and humble is refreshing in this NBA NFL world of selfishness.

SAR I

2 hours ago, Phillyjet said:

... and yet, the draft drew a couple hundred thousand people.  My sense is that the early TV ratings are a reflection of the ADHD world we are in with short attention spans.  Early in the season ratings will be down, but they will pick up around thanksgiving, and by the time we hit the super bowl there will be huge ratings.  Sustaining attention in this rapid media world is really hard.  Particularly when teams suck in the large markets (like NY) and Los Angeles. 

I'll disagree.  It's simple demographics.

As Baby Boomers die they are replaced with kids who never played a sport and/or have had a world of entertainment options unimaginable in 1950.  My 16 year old is as diehard a Jets fan as they come, he's in 5 fantasy leagues, yet he'll only watch Jets games in their entirety, he won't watch MNF, TNF, or SNF at all as he would rather play Madden with his friends and get scoring updates on his phone.

SAR I

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

I like the idea a lot, but I don't think the NFL would approve it.  It seems like they are all in on making this a high scoring passing league

...and that is the primary reason the NFL is having ratings and attendance problems.

It's stupid to emphasize a high powered passing game when there are so few decent quarterbacks.  Talk about playing to a weakness...

SAR I

19 hours ago, Apache 51 said:

the game has  become pussified in conjunction with the modern "male"

giphy-2.gif

Once upon a time, Boxing was the NFL. Horse racing was the NFL. Baseball was the NFL. 

The NFL's main demo (Baby Boomers) is shrinking everyday. 

There's many in younger demographic who like E sports more and cord cutting. 

Maybe if the NFL Was on twitch, streaming in Madden form, Millenials would ironically watch. Maybe.  But they won't always watch live and they won't sit through ads. 

giphy-2.gif
Once upon a time, Boxing was the NFL. Horse racing was the NFL. Baseball was the NFL. 
Maybe if the NFL Was on twitch, streaming in Madden form, Millenials would ironically watch. Maybe.  But they won't always watch live and they won't sit through ads. 

... does anyone sit through ads anymore ??

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

The NFL got greedy and started thinking they could permanently appeal to everyone ... when what made it unique and awesome was the fact that it was a violent dangerous sport. In the 70s many women would cry about the violence ... hell ... there is even a brady bunch episode where Mrs. Brady tries to demonize the sport ... but Mike wouldn't hear it. It was a man's game.

Now in our oversensitive culture , where we need to appeal to everyone , and no sport can have violence, the NFL has had to change the game ... and it has become less interesting to watch.

That coupled with the fact that mom's have won out and pushed their sons towards lacrosse, baseball and soccer ... has caused the NFL to somewhat lose its identity. Trying to claim the sport is not dangerous or can be less dangerous is against its nature and makeup. No one claims boxing is not dangerous.

The NFL should not try to pretend it's something it's not .. but it will ... and we will eventually end up with a watered down flag footballish game where we ooh and ah about how high some guy can jump and how fast that guy ran before he was tagged it. At that point they should just rename it something else ... maybe 'Tag' or 'Keep Away' or 'Track and Field'.

As a kid i never had as much fun as when i played ice hockey ... i grew up in NJ.

The NFL has turned into the Arena League.  For example:

In 1987, Neil Lomax lead the NFL with 3,387 yards passing.  In 2016, that would be 25th best in the NFL, above Tyrod Taylor but below Trevor Siemian.

In 1997, Jeff George led the NFL with 3,917 yards passing.  In 2016, that would be 15th best in the NFL, above Blake Bortles but below Derek Carr.

image.png

image.png

image.png

There is definitely a fantasy football effect here.  What started out as a ratings boost is now backfiring. The casual fan is more interested in watching Redzone instead of rooting for a specific team and watching a specific game.  It's very easy to check a fantasy football app on a smartphone for a quick update instead of sitting through a 3 hour commercial filled game.

The generation largely responsible for the big jump in ratings the past two decades is starting to have families and may not have the time to dedicate a full day to football.

8 hours ago, bitonti said:

giphy-2.gif

Yes, young men have almost completely evolved into young women.

1 hour ago, HessStation said:

So I can barely watch a full NFL game anymore besides the Jets. 

Even tonight, the Clemson Louisville, on the third instant replay on where to mark the ball and then the safety getting ejected which took another 10 minutes, I turned it off to watch a movie. 

Watched the same game,and same thing; they're reviewing things that nobody was complaining about. 

Archived