Best Jets defenses in team history, agree or disagree?

AFJF

16 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Agree with the entire list.  09 Jets D was absolutely amazing every game.

Including the playoffs, that team had 10 games in which they held the opposing team to 14 points or less...more than half of the games they played.

Since coming on board, Bowles' defense has done it 5 times in 33 games.

9 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Including the playoffs, that team had 10 games in which they held the opposing team to 14 points or less...more than half of the games they played.

Since coming on board, Bowles' defense has done it 5 times in 33 games.

Still unbelievable to me how we marched into the chargers stadium and shut down SD who had a 13 game win streak and such a high octane offense. That wasn't an old Rivers/Gates combo either.

6 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Still unbelievable to me how we marched into the chargers stadium and shut down SD who had a 13 game win streak and such a high octane offense. That wasn't an old Rivers/Gates combo either.

That week was one of the last few times I listened to Francessa.  He was just so flippantly and nonchalantly saying it would be an easy win for the Chargers because the Jets hadn't seen such a great offense all season.  He blathered on about how the Jets got in the playoffs with smoke and mirrors and Jets fans should be happy with the season ending there because it could still be considered a success and blah blah blah.

8 minutes ago, AFJF said:

That week was one of the last few times I listened to Francessa.  He was just so flippantly and nonchalantly saying it would be an easy win for the Chargers because the Jets hadn't seen such a great offense all season.  He blathered on about how the Jets got in the playoffs with smoke and mirrors and Jets fans should be happy with the season ending there because it could still be considered a success and blah blah blah.

That guy has always hated our team and our fan base. He's a Giants fan. We did get in the playoffs by luck in 09 but we showed we deserved to be there after killing Cinci and seemingly doing the impossible in SD. Would of loved to see us just get past Peyton .. but 09's AFCCG loss can't hold a candle to 2010's loss...now THAT year was suppose to be ours. It still burns and it will never go away.

20 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

That guy has always hated our team and our fan base. He's a Giants fan. We did get in the playoffs by luck in 09 but we showed we deserved to be there after killing Cinci and seemingly doing the impossible in SD. Would of loved to see us just get past Peyton .. but 09's AFCCG loss can't hold a candle to 2010's loss...now THAT year was suppose to be ours. It still burns and it will never go away.

So true.  Defense couldn't tackle in the first half and the offense was atrocious.  How long was it before they got a first down in that game?  Felt like a month.

11 minutes ago, AFJF said:

So true.  Defense couldn't tackle in the first half and the offense was atrocious.  How long was it before they got a first down in that game?  Felt like a month.

We pulled rabbits out of hats that same year against the Lions and Browns so I still had hope with the score 19-24 but they let us down. That defense couldn't stop Rashard Mendenhall all game.

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

We pulled rabbits out of hats that same year against the Lions and Browns so I still had hope with the score 19-24 but they let us down. That defense couldn't stop Rashard Mendenhall all game.

They did shut him down in the second half.  Defense pitched a shutout IIRC and Pittsburgh couldn't move the ball.

Either way, it's all wayyyyy in the past now, but if you would have told me that within a few years we'd have a new HC who can't scheme to beat one player on offense I'd have said you were crazy.

5 minutes ago, AFJF said:

They did shut him down in the second half.  Defense pitched a shutout IIRC and Pittsburgh couldn't move the ball.

Either way, it's all wayyyyy in the past now, but if you would have told me that within a few years we'd have a new HC who can't scheme to beat one player on offense I'd have said you were crazy.

We need a good offensive minded HC. Shift our focus to the other side of the ball for awhile...because this 17' Jets D isn't cutting it even though we can't stop hiring DC's and drafting 1st round Defenders...you'd think all we'd need for a decent D is a Jim Schwartz or semi-successful retread with all the guys we have on that side of the ball. Just disgusting play all around the last 6 years.

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Agree with the entire list.  09 Jets D was absolutely amazing every game.

Social media folks screwed up the video though.  Several clips from the 2010 season being shown while talking about the 2009 team.  Cromartie wasn't even on the 2009 team but they show him running back an INT.

20 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Right up until we gave up 24 unanswered points to the Colts in the AFC Championship game.

But yes... was a good defense, we were only 9-7 that year (2009) so lets not get the anointing oil out.

Defense got us 9 wins if anything. Couldn't expect them to be perfect the entire way through.

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Defense got us 9 wins if anything. Couldn't expect them to be perfect the entire way through.

Exactly.  With an average defense that team probably wins 3-4 games if that.

How long were they going to shut down offenses with Revis and a bunch of guys who were out of the league within a year or two at CB2 CB3 CB4, etc?

Lito Sheppard, Donald Strickland, Drew Coleman, etc...c'mon.

6 minutes ago, section314 said:

One thing to remember about that '09 defense.....the guy who made it all work, Big Jenks missed most of the year.  If only..........

They really didn't miss a beat once Pouha took over for him, which was pretty remarkable.

14 minutes ago, AFJF said:

How long were they going to shut down offenses with Revis and a bunch of guys who were out of the league within a year or two at CB2 CB3 CB4, etc?

Frickin' Dwight Lowery lol. 

That's why the Cromartie trade was nice... just not for a 2nd round pick. We literally had to teach a professional cornerback how to tackle.

7 hours ago, AFJF said:

Agreed but if REX even knew he had an offense...  maybe its different.   REX was not a complete coach and yet as a defensive guy , he allowed us to have an incomplete team.  

8 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Right up until we gave up 24 unanswered points to the Colts in the AFC Championship game.

But yes... was a good defense, we were only 9-7 that year (2009) so lets not get the anointing oil out.

The Colts didn't start doing anything until half of the CBs went down.

Also, the QB practically gave games away.  That team was better than 9-7.  They ran for 300 yards against the Bills and LOST.  That had never happened before.  It's because the QB couldn't stop giving Buffalo the ball.  They lost another game 10-7 to the Falcons.  The high powered Saints offense did nothing against them, but they still lost because Sanchez threw (I think) two pick sixes.

7 hours ago, AFJF said:

And with an average offense, they win 11 or 12.

22 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

The Colts didn't start doing anything until half of the CBs went down.

Also, the QB practically gave games away.  That team was better than 9-7.  They ran for 300 yards against the Bills and LOST.  That had never happened before.  It's because the QB couldn't stop giving Buffalo the ball.  They lost another game 10-7 to the Falcons.  The high powered Saints offense did nothing against them, but they still lost because Sanchez threw (I think) two pick sixes.

That game was the Sanchez coming out party.  We all thought we had a franchise QB..  THEN.... what we saw as an aberration against the Saints, turned out to be more the norm.  Sad.   

34 minutes ago, roscoeword said:

Who played dl and linebacker on that defense? Pouha I see was mentioned, and I gather Bart Scott was one of the linebackers, but the rest of that tandem I can't recall...simply forgotten in the total haze of roster turnover... 

It was Ellis, Jenkins (before injury), Pouha, marquis Douglass, Mike Devito on the line. Pace, Thomas, Scott, Harris as the linebackers. Secondary was Revis, Leonhard, Eric Smith, Dwight Lowery, Drew Coleman, Donald Strickland. We underestimate just how good prime Revis and prime Harris were. 

13 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

imo a good offense with a great defense is a winning combination.  and the jets offense was ball control even though they had good receivers and sanchez making good plays.

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

That game was the Sanchez coming out party.  We all thought we had a franchise QB..  THEN.... what we saw as an aberration against the Saints, turned out to be more the norm.  Sad.   

When Sanchez and Smith threw the ball, you always held your breath because the chance of something bad happening was very high.  They didn't just throw interceptions, they threw BAD interceptions.  Both guys were liabilities.

56 minutes ago, rangerous said:

imo a good offense with a great defense is a winning combination.  and the jets offense was ball control even though they had good receivers and sanchez making good plays.

The outcry to fire Shotty was strong... fans wanted him gone.  YET..... since his departure, we've had only 1 winning season and a putrid offense at that.   Not saying he was good...  what I believe is that under a defensive HC like REX, the offense always got the short end of the stick.  REX and any GM we had did not even draft defense well....  so of course our offense tanked as we drafted poorly. Poor drafts since 2009 ...have we really had an above average draft since 2008?

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

The outcry to fire Shotty was strong... fans wanted him gone.  YET..... since his departure, we've had only 1 winning season and a putrid offense at that.   Not saying he was good...  what I believe is that under a defensive HC like REX, the offense always got the short end of the stick.  REX and any GM we had did not even draft defense well....  so of course our offense tanked as we drafted poorly. Poor drafts since 2009 ...have we really had an above average draft since 2008?

imo sh*tty undermined mangini.  as much as people want to malign favre, jones was running pretty well in that seattle game and for some reason they decided to throw the ball.  that game should have been a w.  but yes you are right they haven't drafted many offensive skill players  in the first round since sanchez. maybe a guy like pryor looked okay enough to be a mid first rounder or even wilson to be a late first rounder but they could've gotten other players who would've made a bigger impact on the offensive side of the ball.  sometimes teams can find a guy like enunwa in the late rounds or even a fa like anderson but there is little chance that they'll actually be the best player at their position. and in regard to enunwa and anderson let's see how they perform without a guy like marshall or decker taking some of the defensive heat before putting them in canton. 

Archived