Four QB Scenarios

KRL

Here are four QB scenarios that could happen in 2018, which one would you want?

The first two start up in NE:

1. They can't wrap up 50+ million in the QB position so they let Garrapolo walk.
We sign him as our franchise QB and auction off our #1 pick to the highest
bidder.  Then use our remaining cap space and ton of draft picks to re-make the
team

2. Belichick/Kraft sign Garrapolo to a long term deal and let Brady walk.  Feeling
disrespected and wanting to get revenge, Brady comes to NY on a short deal.  We use
our #1 pick on the future QB and the remaining picks and cap space to surround Brady
with talent.  Short term you challenge for a championship with Brady but you also
have secured your long term future with a QB in waiting and a young roster

3. With KC wanting to turn the team over to Mahomes they let Smith walk and we sign
him to a short deal.  We use our #1 pick on the future QB and the remaining picks
and cap space to surround Smith with talent.  Short term you challenge for the playoffs
but you also have secured your long term future with a QB in waiting and a young roster  

4. We use the #1 pick on the QB of the future.  Then we use the rest of our picks and
all of our cap space to surround him with young talent.  We then make the #1 pick show
he's ready to handle the starting spot by making him beat out a "placeholder" QB in
camp  

Number 4.  It is essential to be bad for a few years to acquire top talent.  You draft a qb and spend free agent money on the oline to protect him.  Let him learn on the job and finish 3-13.  Then take the best reciever at the top of the draft and take the best rb at the top of round 2.

Now you have some weapons for him.  Now finish 6-10 in his second year.  Tske the top tight end in the draft.

Now year 3, you are ready to compete.

The worst thing to do is get an Alex Smith type guy and finish with 8 wins.  We need blue chip talent at the offensive skill positions and that comes with picking at the top of the draft.

16 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Number 4.  It is essential to be bad for a few years to acquire top talent.  You draft a qb and spend free agent money on the oline to protect him.  Let him learn on the job and finish 3-13.  Then take the best reciever at the top of the draft and take the best rb at the top of round 2.

Now you have some weapons for him.  Now finish 6-10 in his second year.  Tske the top tight end in the draft.

Now year 3, you are ready to compete.

The worst thing to do is get an Alex Smith type guy and finish with 8 wins.  We need blue chip talent at the offensive skill positions and that comes with picking at the top of the draft.

Okay I can get on board with that. Maybe you get lucky and get 2 of those offensive weapons in the same draft. Main thing is to be at least taking shots at highly regarded offensive draft prospects ..something we refuse to do.

Scenario #4. Its the only way to  build a winner. I may disagree with some of the particulars but the plan is solid as a whole. Now all we have to do is hire a GM and player personnel director who can evaluate talent and HC how actually has a friggin clue and we are golden. You forgot to add that.

37 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

If we ever do scenario #2?   I finally walk away.  Brady in a Jet uniform would be like when the Yanks signed that POS Clemens.

That was my first thought but the jersey burnings in NE would be epic, "loyal" NE fans burning Jerseys and those stupid "Brady for president" signs in biblical proportions - we would have front row seats for the chowd apocalypse

Brady would probably revert to eating cheeseburgers after getting crushed behind the Jets Oline and counting his money after signing what would have to be a 2 year 100M contract ordered by Woody that would destroy Brady and the franchise in one swipe of a pen - the interviews and questions from the NY media would make the "circus" look like glory days 

Zero chance this happens but if it did "Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria"

:)

Considering there is no way in hell Brady would ever play here, I like the Alex Smith option. He's smart enough to run the WCO, we might have Darnold/Rosen or Allen & Hackenberg learning the system from a real pro. 

You also start rebuilding a winning attitude throughout the organization where the expectations are that there isn't a team in this league they couldn't beat. This idea of losing 3 years in a row for high draft picks is ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, KRL said:

2. Belichick/Kraft sign Garrapolo to a long term deal and let Brady walk.  Feeling
disrespected and wanting to get revenge, Brady comes to NY on a short deal.  We use
our #1 pick on the future QB and the remaining picks and cap space to surround Brady
with talent.  Short term you challenge for a championship with Brady but you also

Image result for tom brady in a jets uniform pics

1 hour ago, KRL said:

1. They can't wrap up 50+ million in the QB position so they let Garrapolo walk.
team

3. With KC wanting to turn the team over to Mahomes they let Smith walk and we sign
him to a short deal.  We use our #1 pick on the future QB and the remaining picks
and cap space to surround Smith with talent.  Short term you challenge for the playoffs
but you also have secured your long term future with a QB in waiting and a young roster  

4. We use the #1 pick on the QB of the future.  Then we use the rest of our picks and
all of our cap space to surround him with young talent.  We then make the #1 pick show
he's ready to handle the starting spot by making him beat out a "placeholder" QB in
camp  

It all depneds on how Brady looks this season.  If he loses a step, Belichick will let him go and he'll turn it over to Jimmy G.

The only thing bigger than Belichick's trophy case is his ego, and he knows that Brady is viewed as his savior after a terrible start to his HC career.  He wants to win at least one ring with another QB.  If Brady does walk and come here, we can pretty much guarantee that he'll be broken down to the point that Giselle could suit up in his place and we wouldn't know the difference.

Would love Smith or option no. 4

I don't know what fantasy land you're in KRL with that number 2 option. That will never happen. And honestly, I would never want Brady on this team.

With that said, I would say Brees is a more likely option if you want to go the old, just about to retire veteran route. But any established veteran QB would be stupid to come here to end their career.

If they end up going for a QB in free agency, and want to auction the first pick if we get it, I only want them to do it if it keeps them in position to draft the best LT available, because they're should be some good ones. Either way, I want number 4.

Moot scenarios. We are winning wk 17 to get the 5th overall pick and all 3 top QB will be gone by then. 

Scenario 1 won't happen. Pats don't trade with the Jets. It's not even an option unless we ship our first round pick. Tag n trade not going to happen. 

Scenario 2 won't happen cuz Brady. He doesn't need money thrown into his face to make that happen. 

Scenario 3 isn't a bad option but I'm not an Alex Smith fan. I'd much rather draft the rookie, throw him in the fire and stink one more year like the Titans and then draft high again. 

Scenario 4 is the most likely scenario that will happen. 

1 hour ago, KRL said:

team

camp  

Options 1 & 3 are short cuts with limited ceilings.   Both of these would be typical inpatient moves by a desperate front office or ownership that would do anything to be average sooner than later.  And I'm not sure JG has done anything to prove he is any better than Matt Cassell.  And Alex Smith has elite talent basically at every position around him.  Don't get me wrong, either would be an upgrade but if we have an option of solving the QB position for the next ten years with a prospect that has 5 star potential for a small handful of years of max 3 star potential at close to $20M annually.

2 is completely unrealistic.  If Brady ever decided to leave NE, he is never coming here.  He would go to a team that is at least competing for a championship, where the FO and CS is stable.

So clearly, the only option for the Jets is to draft Darnold or Rosen, hire an offensive HC and complete the rebuild the right way.

2 hours ago, Tinstar said:

why on Earth would Alex Smith sign with the Jets knowing they have the #1 pick and will pick a QB putting him in the same exact situation he's in right now ?

EXACTLY what I was thinking...the same thing has happened to him twice in his career...no way he opts for a third time.

For what it's worth, Glennon had a good game week 1 for anyone who seen it. The game was neck and neck going into halftime. Falcons came out and scored 10 unanswered the 2nd half, Glennon marched them down the field twice during his last 2 drives of the game. The first time passing for a TD (after Cohen dropped a 30 yard TD pass earlier on the drive) then during Glennon's 2 min warning he drives them down the field and the receivers dropped 3 TD passes in a row, and on 4th and goal the RT gets run over and Glennon gets sacked to end the game. 

The Bears may be the only team in the league with a worst WR core than the Jets. Their RB duo is lethal though. If for whatever reason we're out of the QB draft race and the Bears move forward with Trubisky, we should pick up Glennon and take all those draft picks and draft Olinemen and runningbacks. 

EDIT: and im not trying to hijack. Just wanted to comment to the thread. I'll make sure to leave that here and that's it. 

22 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Moot scenarios. We are winning wk 17 to get the 5th overall pick and all 3 top QB will be gone by then. 

Scenario 1 won't happen. Pats don't trade with the Jets. It's not even an option unless we ship our first round pick. Tag n trade not going to happen. 

Scenario 2 won't happen cuz Brady. He doesn't need money thrown into his face to make that happen. 

Scenario 3 isn't a bad option but I'm not an Alex Smith fan. I'd much rather draft the rookie, throw him in the fire and stink one more year like the Titans and then draft high again. 

Scenario 4 is the most likely scenario that will happen. 

Recent history would suggest that the top QB's usually arent the best QB's of that draft anyway. That could work for us for once in our lives. The best QB in college football gets overlooked because he's short, yet all he's doing is giving the the other team L's while planting his team flag in the middle of the opponents football field. 

The cojones on that dude! 

2 hours ago, KRL said:

team

I have always thought the Jimmy Garrapolo situation would be the best.  We could probably get AT LEAST two more first round picks plus a move down for our pick.  We could look at a guy like Baker Mayfield to draft and just sit in a later round because we could.

My ONLY fear on this: Has Garrapolo shown enough to warrant such a move, and will we INVEST in protecting him and giving him weapons, or are we gonna use all those assets and money to sign 3 CB's, a Safety, 3 linebackers and D-Line depth?

ABSOLUTELY no to the second scenario.  It has Brett Favre written all over it.

56 minutes ago, Happy Clouds said:

It pains me a little joewilly12, that you of all people, would post a picture of Tom Brady wearing the Joe Willie Namath #12.

Couldn't you at least have given him a different number? 

Well Happy Clouds Joe Namath was the best QB in franchise history here and Tom Brady has been the best QB in the NFL for years so the #12 is symbolic with all-time greats. 

Tom Brady coming here is so NY Jets like that I can see it happening, Woody Johnson sells tickets we get yet another future Hall of Fame QB at the end of his career we win a few games and most are happy. 

This organization does strange things some of them you have to sit back and enjoy. 

3 hours ago, KRL said:

team

camp  

Option #4

Anything other then 4 puts us back in the same cycle.  Assuming that any vet qb would sign here knowing we would take a qb with a top pick is laughable considering how bad the rest of this offense is. There are no guarantees we sing any FA's that are worth a damn. 

Darnold or Rosen. Thats it. 

It's obvious that if we have a very high pick and can select either Darnold or Rosen that's what the Jets would do. Unless either Hack or Petty shows they can be a starter. I think there's a possibility with Petty more than Hack. As for Brady he would never sign here. I could see him going to the 49ers.  His dad had 49ers season tickets for years and he grew up a SF fan. Their present starter is Hoyer like with McCown a one year deal. Alex Smith will have a lot of choices and very doubtful he would choose the Jets. He'd go to a better team probably. He doesn't want to be a part of a rebuilding I would guess. 

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

This organization does strange things some of them you have to sit back and enjoy. 

I absolutely understand what you're saying joe. 

That said, I personally, always seem to have a hard time with the "enjoy" part of this philosophy. ?

Archived