Sam Darnold & Josh Rosen Staying in School to Avoid Jets?

Jack Straw

The 2018 NFL Draft was set to be stacked with quarterback talent, with multiple franchise-level players ready to enter the league.

But according to ESPN's Adam Schefter, two of the top prospects may choose to stay in school for another year rather than enter the NFL next season.

Speaking with WEEI's "Kirk & Callahan" show, Schefter brought up the possibility of both UCLA Bruins quarterback Josh Rosen and USC quarterback Sam Darnold passing up an NFL contract in 2018.

The topic was brought up as the Boston-based show discussed the future of longtime Patriots backup Jimmy Garoppolo. Kirk and Callahan were wondering where Garoppolo might end up with the big draft class coming in, but Schefter told them not to be so sure.

"Everybody's talking about the quarterback class next year," Schefter said, "and I continue to hear that it's possible that Sam Darold is going to stay in school, and I continue to hear that it's possible that Josh Rosen is going to stay in school."

While it's odd for a player expected to go as high in the draft as Darnold and Rosen are expected to go to pass up on the opportunity, Schefter seemed to imply that one reason the players might opt for another year of school was to avoid getting drafted by the New York Jets.

"If you were walking around USC's campus and you had the life that Sam Darold did and you were from California would you be in any rush to play in Florham Park, New Jersey?" he asked Kirk & Callahan.

Florham Park is home to the Jets' practice facility.

It's still way too far out to know what Darnold or Rosen will eventually decide on — the Jets are still a season away from having the first overall pick, and depending on how USC and UCLA play out the year there's different things that could happen that could sway the star players in one direction on another.

But for now, they potential for Darnold and Rosen to stay in school adds an interesting wrinkle to anyone looking forward to the 2018 Draft and beyond.

http://www.businessinsider.com/sam-darnold-josh-rosen-skip-draft-adam-schefter-2017-9

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this is pure stupidity. if you are projected to go in the top 5 in the nfl draft you are obviously going to go to a team who wasn't that good. it would be pure stupidity to risk injury at college when you are projected to go that high and give up that kind of money. especially when they have no way of knowing what sh*tty team will get them the following year. 

If there is truth to this, just to avoid the JETS. Then both of these kids are some bitches that I don't want playing for this team either. I want the QB that is looking forward to coming into a team and accepts the challenge of being the "reason" for a team's turn around. I hate how kids now days are such sissy a$$ babies. News flash if your a high draft pick your not going to a good team 9 of 10 times. 

Hope this is just BS. It probably is. 

6 minutes ago, Stark said:

If there is truth to this, just to avoid the JETS. Then both of these kids are some bitches that I don't want playing for this team either. I want the QB that is looking forward to come my into a team and accepts the challenge of being the "reason" for a teams turn around. I hate how kids now days are such sissy a$$ babies. News flash if your a high draft pick your not going to a good team 9 of 10 times. 

Hope this is just BS. It probably is. 

Are you extra mad because now you need a new avatar?

1 minute ago, yvj said:

Someone let me know has there ever been a HoF QB who could have gone Top Five in the NFL draft but decided not to do and instead stayed another year in college to check the new class of female freshmen?

Peyton Manning

50 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

"If you were walking around USC's campus and you had the life that Sam Darold did and you were from California would you be in any rush to play in Florham Park, New Jersey?" he asked Kirk & Callahan.

Well let's review the other likely choices.  Buffalo, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Chicago.  So suddenly those are more attractive places to live than the Metro NY area for someone coming from southern Cal?  Or could it be that Schefter saw a chance to single out the Jets for the cheap reaction?  

I wouldn't worry about it much.  Manning 'avoided' the Jets and got sent to Indy for the next 15 years.  Then you have his brother, who shunned SD to come to the Giants.  That's actually a bigger concern.  One of these kids could come out, and then threaten to sit out the year if they don't get to go where they want in an attempt to force a trade.  Interestingly enough, the Chargers could be an attractive spot for both those kids now that they are in LA.

Well they could make more money if they are good with the Jets than they could with a team in a smaller city. NYC is the Big Apple and those other places aren't. They would be huge stars plus the Jets have a lot of good young players. But another reason is their inexperience. Neither of them have that many starts. We drafted a guy like that not too long ago and he didn't make it. And Mark had under 20 starts at USC. So if they don't want to come here ok then. If they are planning on the Chargers well only one would get that job. I'm not concerned about it at all. These two guys are unproven players. If we get one of them fine. 

These kids aren't skipping out on all that top 5 draft money OR fulfilling their NFL dreams just because of the Jets lol. It's suuuccchhh a reach to even try to connect Darnold/Rosen to avoiding NYJ when nothing has even been said about the Jets in particular just that there is a possibility they stay in school. Why does that automatically mean it's because we might have the first pick? Few posts above me is right. ******* bullsh*t man. Tired of us getting singled out because it's the cool thing to do. I'd like to smack someone now. Please and thank you lol. I'm heated.

53 minutes ago, legler82 said:

Darnold may stay, not necessarily to avoid the Jets but because that's what USC QBs sans Sanchez tend to do.  Apparently life as a USC QB is good.  Rosen is a goner though.  He's hungry and ready for the NFL challenge IMO.

Darnold would be a fool to stay in school now that USC is running a gay spread offense, 2 years in that system will set his development back, and just like Mahomes needed to go to the NFL as soon as possible to start learning the pro game, Darnold will get picked apart by some scouts after playing 2 seasons in a gimmick college offense, he needs to go to the NFL as soon as possible.  Rosen could stay, and if he continues to play the way he is playing he would be fine because he is playing in a true pro system.

Schefter seemed to imply that one reason the players might opt for another year of school was to avoid getting drafted by the New York Jets.

Sure, they can just wait until 2019 so that they can get picked top 3 overall by a good team. Because the teams who have top 3 picks in 2019 will be good teams, right Schef?

First of all, it's ESPN. They have the journalistic integrity and ethics of The Weekly World News. 

Second, Morris County, NJ (my home county, BTW) is the 14th richest county in the nation. For Schefter to just gloss over that is...well, Ive already brought up the journalism thing.

Third, it's a half hour to THE best town in America.

Wow. This was without question the most nonsensical article I've read on any topic all year.  No proof, no smoking gun, no statement by the athletes...just the argument that Florham Park...which is beautiful by the way and hosts one of the best athletic facilities in the entire league, isn't California?  Or is it because the Jets are a bad team?  Because I'm pretty sure the best players go to the teams with the worst records on draft day.  So WTF is that argument.  This article should be titled: One easy trick to lose a QB!  Or What QB's don't want you to know!  Or, seven reasons Doctors hate Darnold... number five will shock you!

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If you were the father of a potential franchise QB, you're honestly telling me you'd actively want to put your child's future in the hands of the New York Jets franchise? FOH.

As opposed to....Indy, Buffalo, Cleveland, Jacksonville?  Basically it's a turd pie any way you slice it.  Why single out the piece on the right?

Moronic "click bait", only a fool stays in college with the way QB salaries
are exploding on the pro level.  On top of that has anyone heard of injuries
occurring in football?  On any snap these QB's can break a bone or suffer
a permanent injury.  When you're eligible to leave you leave and start the
clock on your pro career which gets the clock ticking to that huge second
contract

Archived