Sam Darnold & Josh Rosen Staying in School to Avoid Jets?

Jack Straw

6 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

The 2018 NFL Draft was set to be stacked with quarterback talent, with multiple franchise-level players ready to enter the league.

But according to ESPN's Adam Schefter, two of the top prospects may choose to stay in school for another year rather than enter the NFL next season.

Speaking with WEEI's "Kirk & Callahan" show, Schefter brought up the possibility of both UCLA Bruins quarterback Josh Rosen and USC quarterback Sam Darnold passing up an NFL contract in 2018.

The topic was brought up as the Boston-based show discussed the future of longtime Patriots backup Jimmy Garoppolo. Kirk and Callahan were wondering where Garoppolo might end up with the big draft class coming in, but Schefter told them not to be so sure.

"Everybody's talking about the quarterback class next year," Schefter said, "and I continue to hear that it's possible that Sam Darold is going to stay in school, and I continue to hear that it's possible that Josh Rosen is going to stay in school."

While it's odd for a player expected to go as high in the draft as Darnold and Rosen are expected to go to pass up on the opportunity, Schefter seemed to imply that one reason the players might opt for another year of school was to avoid getting drafted by the New York Jets.

"If you were walking around USC's campus and you had the life that Sam Darold did and you were from California would you be in any rush to play in Florham Park, New Jersey?" he asked Kirk & Callahan.

Florham Park is home to the Jets' practice facility.

It's still way too far out to know what Darnold or Rosen will eventually decide on — the Jets are still a season away from having the first overall pick, and depending on how USC and UCLA play out the year there's different things that could happen that could sway the star players in one direction on another.

But for now, they potential for Darnold and Rosen to stay in school adds an interesting wrinkle to anyone looking forward to the 2018 Draft and beyond.

http://www.businessinsider.com/sam-darnold-josh-rosen-skip-draft-adam-schefter-2017-9

What a stupid article... they are virtually guaranteed to be the 1 and 2 picks in the draft. Another year in college and 1) they might play like crap and not get drafted as high, 2) they might get injured. As many people have already pointed out in this thread, why wouldn't they want to go to the Jets and live in NYC? How's that any worse than being drafted by Cleveland, Buffalo or Cincinnati?

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

What a stupid article... they are virtually guaranteed to be the 1 and 2 picks in the draft. Another year in college and 1) they might play like crap and not get drafted as high, 2) they might get injured. As many people have already pointed out in this thread, why wouldn't they want to go to the Jets and live in NYC? How's that any worse than being drafted by Cleveland, Buffalo or Cincinnati?

I highly doubt any Jets live in NYC, and players can't go out without winding up on twitter nowadays and there is no advantage to the large media market anymore, I see more cam newton commercials than any Jet player

the jets have a lot of competitive disadvantages, cost of living, taxes, weather, ownership, sharing a stadium, coaching instability, but a really really big one is the cheaters.  There is not 1 team out there with all of these disadvantages combined

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

The point that Andrew Luck hasn't proven anything in the NFL unless I missed a Super Bowl. 

Luck is proof that if you take a top QB and surround him with garbage you ultimately wind up with a lousy team.  The QB doesn't fix everything.

Luck is a top QB and will win a Super Bowl if he has a good team around him.

Got to say I'm pretty impressed with Rosen so far.  Even in today's loss if the D could stop a runny nose. they win big.  IMO UCLA isn't a top talent team.  D's weak, they had several dropped balls.  O L is average at best.  Rosen is carrying them, and doing a good job. 

7 hours ago, neckdemon said:

this is pure stupidity. if you are projected to go in the top 5 in the nfl draft you are obviously going to go to a team who wasn't that good. it would be pure stupidity to risk injury at college when you are projected to go that high and give up that kind of money. especially when they have no way of knowing what sh*tty team will get them the following year. 

yeah, i don't get why either of those two guys would risk staying in college instead of getting the top pick in the draft.  the money is set whether it's this draft or the next one and as long as they don't get an agent (hah hah) they can choose not to accept their draft point and try again the next season.  i'm not sure if they lose eligibility if they do that though.  the other possibility is for them to pull an elllway or manning and refuse to go to the team that drafted them.  assuming the jets do get the first pick that could actually be a good thing.  there are supposed to be 3 or 4 hot prospects and having the first pick should give them some bargaining power.  finally, consider the source.  maybe shefter is legit but who is telling him this?  their coaches?  team boosters? if these guys are that good they're going to be drafted by a pretty bad team regardless of the year.  at the same time i want the guy who wants to play here not some la la playboy who like sun and surf.

36 minutes ago, adb280z said:

Luck is proof that if you take a top QB and surround him with garbage you ultimately wind up with a lousy team.  The QB doesn't fix everything.

Luck is a top QB and will win a Super Bowl if he has a good team around him.

true enough about the superbowl but luck was plenty impressive a couple of seasons back with that playoff win against kc.

2 hours ago, varjet said:

Either of them would be moronic to stay in school.

But the point being made is a good one.  The Jets right now are not a quality, stable organization.   Compared to 49ers (Lynch and Shanahan), Cleveland (Brown and Jackson), the Bills even (Beane and McDermott) and the Jaguars  (Coughline and Morrone), if I am a rookie high picked Qb I would rather plan for those teams the Jets.  The Jets are a mess, and my guess is at USC they blame the Jets partially for how Sanchez ended up, and the Hack thing makes them look bad.  

The Jets are a cornerstone team in the largest TV market in the world.  If they stink, it will affect the NFL's overall ratings.  

It would be very embarrassing for the NFL if either or both of these future stars played any games about their draft status.  If Goodell was trying to make the NFL work, he would make Woody run a better team.

good points about the ny market.  the nfl (when its leadership cared about the game) pretty much forced the giaints to take george young as gm.  as they say the rest is history.

2 minutes ago, Larz said:

I was just watching "its a football life, 2006 Rose Bowl"

Leinart stayed in school just to enjoy his senior year

Young came out early because Houston had the #1 pick

You can't assume they will come out just to get paid

imo young came out precisely to get paid.  leinart was an la glamor guy and was getting everything he needed while in college so how would the nfl had made his off field life better?  it wouldn't.

3 minutes ago, rangerous said:

imo young came out precisely to get paid.  leinart was an la glamor guy and was getting everything he needed while in college so how would the nfl had made his off field life better?  it wouldn't.

no offense, I will go with Vince on this

3 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Trubisky's four-year deal is expected to be worth approximately $29 million, fully guaranteed, including a signing bonus of about $19 million. 

mic drop

fournette was insured for $20,000,000

picks up mic

24 minutes ago, rangerous said:

good points about the ny market.  the nfl (when its leadership cared about the game) pretty much forced the giaints to take george young as gm.  as they say the rest is history.

I think the Jets were encouraged to hire Parcells too, either in a vacuum or together with Hess wanting to sell the team before he passed.

So if the only reason to stay in school is not to play in NJ, than why not declare and let Woody know he'll have to trade you, ala Elway & Eli?

There is just too much to risk by staying.  Injuries, more film to critique every bad throw, either way, it makes no sense.

If anything, one of them goes to NY and the other will likely stay in Cali.

1 minute ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Pretty soon, Darnold better start living up to the hype or he probably will stay in school.

Did you see the touchdown pass he just threw?

Darnold is just in another dimension the way he reads the field.  Hack is no where.

2 minutes ago, varjet said:

Did you see the touchdown pass he just threw?

Darnold is just in another dimension the way he reads the field.  Hack is no where.

Yes.  Hell of a throw.  Happened like 10 seconds after I posted.

Darnold just seems a bit over hyped to me.  He's been ok this year, nothing great.  Was looking skittish in the pocket earlier.  I just don't think he's the slam dunk everyone thinks.

4 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Yes.  Hell of a throw.  Happened like 10 seconds after I posted.

Darnold just seems a bit over hyped to me.  He's been ok this year, nothing great.  Was looking skittish in the pocket earlier.  I just don't think he's the slam dunk everyone thinks.

Darnold will be at least a good NFL QB.  He can read the field and he understands the game. 

Under the new CBA, for guys like this, drafting them high seems to be a reasonable risk.  Its the second contracts which are not reasonable risks.

did you see that?

if I were them I would stay in school-take out an insurance policy against injury and draft position and avoid the jets at all costs-as a fan that is not what I want but if them that is what I would do UNLESS the jets fire their gm and coach and bring in PROVEN winners that know how to build a team and develop talent

Some very good qbs probably had not so great careers based on the team they went to and the position they were in see Carr's brother as a prime example

2 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

hate that darnold does not play out of a pro set. how can you evaluate a guy that does not call plays in a huddle. or make checks ??

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

It's my first time watching Darnold tonight...  Now, I'm a total newbie in regards to college football, but I agree with you.   Does he always look to the sidelines when calling plays or changing the play call?  Is he not allowed to call plays himself?  What about the blocking schemes?  Seems wierd, not sure if all offense are run this way?

That said, he does progress through the reads nicely, quick release and good accuracy...  His receivers are not helping him tonight (drops) and this Texas D is playing lights out.

Archived