Sam Darnold & Josh Rosen Staying in School to Avoid Jets?

Jack Straw

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

the entire team looks to the sideline for the play ... not just the qb ... it's a joke

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

This was not the case last year for USC's offense, have no idea why they changed it considering how awesome Darnold ran it, and it's the main reason Darnold needs to get the hell out of USC as quick as he possibly can, the longer he plays in this offense the bigger the learning curve.

45 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

This was not the case last year for USC's offense, have no idea why they changed it considering how awesome Darnold ran it, and it's the main reason Darnold needs to get the hell out of USC as quick as he possibly can, the longer he plays in this offense the bigger the learning curve.

He doesn't look comfortable at all running this "new" offense.  Every time he runs "pro style" plays out of a traditional base?  Magic.  USC needs to get their heads out of their asses and go back to what made him such a phenom last season.  This gimmicky sh*t they've installed has him out of sorts and it's not just affecting him.  Their offense looks like an inconsistent mess.

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

He's special boys and girls.

This "who's better between Darnold / Rosen" thing is going to be loud and fun all the way though the draft and beyond.  Yeah there are some other really good prospects as well but those two...NCAAFB is just tons of fun this year.

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

This "who's better between Darnold / Rosen" thing is going to be loud and fun all the way though the draft and beyond.  Yeah there are some other really good prospects as well but those two...NCAAFB is just tons of fun this year.

These two are just in a total class of their own.  Consider the other prospects and that is absolutely insane.  

Maybe it's because I'm subjected to the goddamn Jets every Sunday but right now the college game is so far beyond the pro game in terms of excitement and entertainment, and it's not even close.

8 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Catch or not, that should have been a TD. That throw was insane.

I will be rooting HARD for the raiders tommorow and any team we face this season

The Colts could offer us Luck straight up for the #1 pick I still take Darnold

2 hours ago, ID. said:

It's my first time watching Darnold tonight...  Now, I'm a total newbie in regards to college football, but I agree with you.   Does he always look to the sidelines when calling plays or changing the play call?  Is he not allowed to call plays himself?  What about the blocking schemes?  Seems wierd, not sure if all offense are run this way?

That said, he does progress through the reads nicely, quick release and good accuracy...  His receivers are not helping him tonight (drops) and this Texas D is playing lights out.

QBs in NFL have headsets in helmet,

college doesnt

6 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Darnold is still raw but he is special. He had insane pocket presence and instincts. You can't teach that. 

Every single time I look for him step up in the pocket, he does it.  Not only does he actually do it, but he does it in the right direction and the exact right time to create a new and ideal pocket for himself.  He just knows exactly where and how things are collapsing.  I don't think I've seen a college QB navigate chaos like him.  Ever.  Luck included.  He just has an unbelievable feel for things when the defense starts closing in.

50 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Oh my Darnold.

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

WOW Darnold makes things happen!!!!! 

WHAT A GAME. Darnold is something really special. That footwork in the pocket!! Just the pure feel he has for the pocket. Stepping in and out with ease. Evading defenders and s throwing darts. Most impressive thing is when he does his mobility in the pocket thing he has made it an awesome habit to always set his feet correctly before the throw. Just really clean and professional stuff there. Read an article that said he didn't even play QB for long in HS. He was a wide out..QB went down..he assumed the role late in the  same game and the rest is history. Just a really pure thrower. He's a slightly better prospect than Luck to me. I mean holy sh*t guys..he is 13-1 so far in his collegiation career. He is a winner. 

I'm on the edge of my seat..first overtime possession..thinking "okay Darnold..this is where you show me if you got the zinger we need" ..first play of the drive he throws a TD strike with ease. Next overtimes possesion...another TD strike with ease. It's no longer "Suck For Sam" in my eyes ..it's more like "Die For Darnold" lol..really came away impressed. We HAVE to get him 2018.

9 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

WHAT A GAME. Darnold is something really special. That footwork in the pocket!! Just the pure feel he has for the pocket. Stepping in and out with ease. Evading defenders and s throwing darts. Most impressive thing is when he does his mobility in the pocket thing he has made it an awesome habit to always set his feet correctly before the throw. Just really clean and professional stuff there. Read an article that said he didn't even play QB for long in HS. He was a wide out..QB went down..he assumed the role late in the  same game and the rest is history. Just a really pure thrower. He's a slightly better prospect than Luck to me. I mean holy sh*t guys..he is 13-1 so far in his collegiation career. He is a winner. 

Kid has eyes on all sides of his head. Smart on and off the field. Read his interviews. He won't let anything or anyone get in his way to mess him up.

7 hours ago, Freemanm said:

What a stupid article... they are virtually guaranteed to be the 1 and 2 picks in the draft. Another year in college and 1) they might play like crap and not get drafted as high, 2) they might get injured. As many people have already pointed out in this thread, why wouldn't they want to go to the Jets and live in NYC? How's that any worse than being drafted by Cleveland, Buffalo or Cincinnati?

image.php?encI=X55g%3ADDiii.%2FWBs.JvVDJ

Yeah.  Darnold will avoid being an possible overall first round draft pick because a single team drafts him.  Even Elway still just forced a trade rather than play for the Colts and they were a much worse run organization than the Jets.  Articles that pray on fans' fears have no basis in reality.  Writers come up with crap when they smoke too much weed.

10 minutes ago, jetrider said:

Kid has eyes on all sides of his head. Smart on and off the field. Read his interviews. He won't let anything or anyone get in his way to mess him up.

Think we read the same article. Here's the quote from the one I am referring to. I’ve got to be on my toes at all times,” Darnold said. “I can’t be doing anything that would put me in a bad light, not that I would do that anyways. I definitely think that with the way the parents raised me I’m never going to do anything to tarnish anything I’ve done. You just always have to be aware of it. There are people who might act like your friend one minute and then will leak a video of you doing something you shouldn’t be doing." 

and regarding the high school moment .. "

On the football field, Darnold played wide receiver and linebacker as a sophomore. In the ninth game of the season, the starting quarterback was injured, and Darnold stepped in. Tesoro was up by two touchdowns, but Darnold led the Tritons to an overtime win.

“That’s when you knew this kid has that ‘it factor’ everyone talks about,” Ortiz said."

https://www.google.com/amp/nypost.com/2017/08/30/luck-rodgers-darnold-golden-boy-hope-for-jets-is-eating-this-up/amp/

I watched Rosen today and the one thing I didn't like was he didn't protect the football at all in the 2nd half.  As good as he played, he cost his team the game.  There were multiple situations where nothing was there and he should have just thrown it away and gone onto the next down, but instead he threw a backbreaking pick.

Other than that, the kid has all the tools, physically and mentally.  He needs to learn when to throw it away though.

1 hour ago, jetscrazey said:

I watched Rosen today and the one thing I didn't like was he didn't protect the football at all in the 2nd half.  As good as he played, he cost his team the game.  There were multiple situations where nothing was there and he should have just thrown it away and gone onto the next down, but instead he threw a backbreaking pick.

Other than that, the kid has all the tools, physically and mentally.  He needs to learn when to throw it away though.

Type of stuff tends to happen when you press because you've, literally, been taking an ass beating for the last three years in order to try and overcome the sh*ttiness of the rest of of your team.  One of the picks was a wrong route by the WR too.  Rosen will be fine.  After the strides everyone has seen him make, there is very little reason to believe that he won't continue progressing as he ages.  Too many people look at games on a week by week basis and overreact (not saying you did this).  He's up to 13 TDs (14 if you count his rushing TD from today) to 2INTs on the season.  Today alone, he was 34 of 56 (60.7) for 463 yards and 4TDs (1 more rushing so technically 5).  Given his team, that is incredible.  He's aware that he needs to clean up the "hero ball" mistakes too.  Acknowledged it immediately in his presser in the post game.  He's gonna be fine.

For his NFL stock, the good far outweighed the bad.  Some of the throws he made today were jaw dropping.  If anyone (looking at you UCLA defense) on that team other than him stepped up today, he probably never gets put into those turnover situations and we're talking about how he's absolutely leapfrogged Darnold, incredible performance from him be damned.

I have it 1A - Rosen 

1B - Darnold

They're neck and neck and it's been a blast to watch.

49 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Type of stuff tends to happen when you press because you've, literally, been taking an ass beating for the last three years in order to try and overcome the sh*ttiness of the rest of of your team.  One of the picks was a wrong route by the WR too.  Rosen will be fine.  After the strides everyone has seen him make, there is very little reason to believe that he won't continue progressing as he ages.  Too many people look at games on a week by week basis and overreact (not saying you did this).  He's up to 13 TDs (14 if you count his rushing TD from today) to 2INTs on the season.  Today alone, he was 34 of 56 (60.7) for 463 yards and 4TDs (1 more rushing so technically 5).  Given his team, that is incredible.  He's aware that he needs to clean up the "hero ball" mistakes too.  Acknowledged it immediately in his presser in the post game.  He's gonna be fine.

For his NFL stock, the good far outweighed the bad.  Some of the throws he made today we're jaw dropping.  If anyone (looking at you UCLA defense) on that team other than him stepped up today, he probably never gets put into those turnover situations and we're talking about how he's absolutely leapfrogged Darnold, incredible performance from him be damned.

I have it 1A - Rosen 

1B - Darnold

It really is a blast to watch. Keeping up with these two QB's has literally gotten me into College ball all together for the first time.

55 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

For his NFL stock, the good far outweighed the bad.  Some of the throws he made today we're jaw dropping.  If anyone (looking at you UCLA defense) on that team other than him stepped up today, he probably never gets put into those turnover situations and we're talking about how he's absolutely leapfrogged Darnold, incredible performance from him be damned.

I have it 1A - Rosen 

1B - Darnold

Rosen is a Super Star in the waiting also that UCLA team is a shadow of what USC is. I think Josh will always have a little "Gun slinger" in him, but I like that in my QB it's called balls.

Both these kids look amazing, I'd be very with either!

5 hours ago, Mogglez said:

For his NFL stock, the good far outweighed the bad.  Some of the throws he made today were jaw dropping.  If anyone (looking at you UCLA defense) on that team other than him stepped up today, he probably never gets put into those turnover situations and we're talking about how he's absolutely leapfrogged Darnold, incredible performance from him be damned.

I have it 1A - Rosen 

1B - Darnold

I kept waiting for UCLA's defense to stop Memphis on a drive ... just once. But they were inept. And I should put in a plug for Riiley Ferguson. He's a talented QB. He's not Rosen's class, but he's got solid tools and a nice deep ball. Of course it helps when you have a receiver like Miller catching the ball. That guy is going to be a stud too.

Archived