Bryce Petty: This is my second chance

Patriot Killa

https://www.google.com/amp/nypost.com/2017/09/16/bryce-petty-this-is-my-second-chance/amp/

If — or when — Bryce Petty gets another shot under center, he’ll be ready. If not, the third-year quarterback won’t complain he didn’t get a fair shot to win the Jets’ starting job.

“Last year, I had an opportunity for four games,” Petty told The Post on Friday. “Regardless of the situation, I had four games to prove something and I didn’t do it. There’s not many people that get second chances, and I kind of feel like this is a second chance.’’

The Jets went 1-3 with Petty starting last season, but the fourth-round pick out of Baylor completed 56.4 percent of his passes with three touchdowns, seven interceptions and a 60.0 quarterback rating.

Last week, Petty was declared inactive and Christian Hackenberg was named the No. 2 quarterback, but coach Todd Bowles said the depth chart could change this season. It is unclear if Petty’s preseason injury — a sprained ligament in his left knee — was part of the decision. 

Bowles hasn’t named Josh McCown’s backup for Sunday’s game against the Raiders, but Petty doesn’t seem to care as much as everyone else does.

“It doesn’t matter at all,” Petty said. “You’ve got to prepare just like you’re the No. 1 guy. You’ve got to be ready to play. We don’t worry about reps. We don’t worry about the number beside our names. All we worry about is there’s three of us in the room and we support each other. Now it’s time to make sure that you prepare to where if the team needs you, you can go out and play. “Each day I come in here, I try to be a good teammate first,” Petty said. “That’s how you lead. It’s not something that’s given to you. It’s earned through preparation, and when your opportunity is called, you go out and produce and guys see it. It’s a long season. There are 15 more games, and anything can happen.”

“There’s so much pressure on you anyway. To add that kind of pressure is stupid.”

Petty will be prepared for his second chance.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just more of Bill Bellichick, um I mean Todd Bowles mistreatment of a player(s). It is not fair to both guys to not be told if they might have to go into a game immediately due to injury, and shouldn't the back up get priority in practice to at least try to get ready in case? IMO just another hideous "Bowles'ism that makes no sense.

1 hour ago, Larz said:

at 26 years old you are what you are

he's a backup

Matt Hasselbeck got traded to Seattle when he was 26.  One could argue that Petty has been as impressive in his preseason action as MH was.  Not saying Petty >MH but he would at least be starting if our CS gave a ****.

1 hour ago, Pointdexter said:

I'm sorry but just a terribly inaccurate comment. Kurt Warner and Steve Young carved out hall of fame careers after the age of 26. Doug Flutie didn't do too shabby either. 

vs the 1,200 other QBs it is accurate about

1 minute ago, Pcola said:

Matt Hasselbeck got traded to Seattle when he was 26.  One could argue that Petty has been as impressive in his preseason action as MH was.  Not saying Petty >MH but he would at least be starting if our CS gave a ****.

see above

4 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

https://www.google.com/amp/nypost.com/2017/09/16/bryce-petty-this-is-my-second-chance/amp/

If — or when — Bryce Petty gets another shot under center, he’ll be ready. If not, the third-year quarterback won’t complain he didn’t get a fair shot to win the Jets’ starting job.

“Last year, I had an opportunity for four games,” Petty told The Post on Friday. “Regardless of the situation, I had four games to prove something and I didn’t do it. There’s not many people that get second chances, and I kind of feel like this is a second chance.’’

The Jets went 1-3 with Petty starting last season, but the fourth-round pick out of Baylor completed 56.4 percent of his passes with three touchdowns, seven interceptions and a 60.0 quarterback rating.

Last week, Petty was declared inactive and Christian Hackenberg was named the No. 2 quarterback, but coach Todd Bowles said the depth chart could change this season. It is unclear if Petty’s preseason injury — a sprained ligament in his left knee — was part of the decision. 

Bowles hasn’t named Josh McCown’s backup for Sunday’s game against the Raiders, but Petty doesn’t seem to care as much as everyone else does.

“It doesn’t matter at all,” Petty said. “You’ve got to prepare just like you’re the No. 1 guy. You’ve got to be ready to play. We don’t worry about reps. We don’t worry about the number beside our names. All we worry about is there’s three of us in the room and we support each other. Now it’s time to make sure that you prepare to where if the team needs you, you can go out and play. “Each day I come in here, I try to be a good teammate first,” Petty said. “That’s how you lead. It’s not something that’s given to you. It’s earned through preparation, and when your opportunity is called, you go out and produce and guys see it. It’s a long season. There are 15 more games, and anything can happen.”

“There’s so much pressure on you anyway. To add that kind of pressure is stupid.”

Petty will be prepared for his second chance.

If you don't like this guy and how he talks I just don't what to tell you...

And I will say it; Bowles is a Moron if he is holding Petty's support of Fitznumbskull against him...... 

24 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

We get it, you don't like Petty.  

But on a team that starts the worst starting QB in the NFL (McCown) Petty can get a shot just like anybody else

I think with this line we may see 3 or more QBs play this year. 

I just don't see the point in pretending Petty is a an answer to anything

1 minute ago, Larz said:

I think with this line we may see 3 or more QBs play this year. 

I just don't see the point in pretending Petty is a an answer to anything

I don't see why you are so certain of this.  Nobody else claims to be.  We all just want to see him get a shot.  I don't recall you ever being so obstinate about anything like you are that Petty can't be good.  

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

I bet he would be starting on a few other NFL teams if he wasn't on the NY Jets. 

LOL!!!!!! Please name them. We have the worst QB situation here. Despite what Frank Sinatra may have said, if you can make it in New York, you might not be able to make it anywhere.

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

LOL!!!!!! Please name them. We have the worst QB situation here. Despite what Frank Sinatra may have said, if you can make it in New York, you might not be able to make it anywhere.

Yeah, that might be a stretch.  I'd say he'd have had a real shot in CLE and HOU though.  Maybe IND or JAX, and CIN is looking like they may need a new QB soon.  Let's just say he might have gotten a longer, more objective chance to start in some of those places at least.

7 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I don't see why you are so certain of this.  Nobody else claims to be.  We all just want to see him get a shot.  I don't recall you ever being so obstinate about anything like you are that Petty can't be good.  It's his age and track reco. There's nothing wrong with being Kellen Clemens. 

6 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

If you don't like this guy and how he talks I just don't what to tell you...

This right here in a nutshell is the problem with this fan base, and this right here is why this organization has no urgency to build something properly.

Fitz: "Sure he's a career backup but he just threw 30 TDs yo!"

Hack: "He's got prototypical size, ran Bill O'Brien's system, has a high football IQ (hahahaha), puts his hands to his ears a la Brady. He's our future!"

Petty: "Damn, he sure can light up 4th stringers in preseason. By the way, have you heard him speak? OMG we have a winner!"

Crazy thing is ALL 3 have proven whether in the pros or college that none of them are horses you should have any desire to hitch your wagon to. Jet fans, however, even with tons of evidence in front of y'all continue to be impressed by some shiny new object: any QB who can breathe properly for 5 minutes becomes the apple of the fanbase's eye. All because he's the next unproven scrub up (although Petty's already shown his "worth" in live action, and solid NFL starter it ain't).

And this isn't some new phenomenon with this fan base. I can first recall this same nonsense happening in 1990-1991 with Troy Taylor.

And for all the name droppers who LOVE to throw out the outliers as if those Steve Young, Matt Hasselback, & Kurt Warner stories are a dime a dozen, I'm still waiting for Mark Sanchez to put it all together by year 4 like Eli did. All the Jets boards in '09, '10, & '11 told me that would happen lol.

A number of people say that Petty had his chance and proved that he isn't an NFL starting QB.  He started 4 games with a line in front of him that had 4/5 of the starters out allowing him no time to throw.  I don't see what it would hurt letting him start a few games this year to see if he has improved and if he proves he's not a starter is he someone that we can hang onto as a long  no term backup.  We already know that McCown isn't the future as a 1 or 2 so why not give the youngsters a chance?

5 hours ago, Maxman said:

He would have gotten a shot in Houston, Indy, Miami, San fran, Denver, Chicago, and Jax. 

I'll bet he would have won the opening day start in 3 of them. 

3 minutes ago, Joejet said:

A number of people say that Petty had his chance and proved that he isn't an NFL starting QB.  He started 4 games with a line in front of him that had 4/5 of the starters out allowing him no time to throw.  I don't see what it would hurt letting him start a few games this year to see if he has improved and if he proves he's not a starter is he someone that we can hang onto as a long  no term backup.  We already know that McCown isn't the future as a 1 or 2 so why not give the youngsters a chance?

Yeah he was still learning his footwork, and how to set protections. I'll tell you he looked much more in control this preseason than last.

This is a brand new system which he may or may not understand better. Who knows?

I would like to ask these guys what sets his ceiling. A low ceiling guy has a limitation. You max that out and cannot progress. What is his limitation? 

Don't tell me he's 26 that's just stupid. He had to wait for his opportunities. Don't tell me he had little success in college. He had more success in college than most NFL QBs.

He may not be as book smart as Hack but he's far more instinctual. Many great QBs could not explain what they see on film, and many horrible ones could. Hack may be a great coach one day.

6 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

We get it, you don't like Petty.  

But on a team that starts the worst starting QB in the NFL (McCown) Petty can get a shot just like anybody else

This.  It's not like Petty is behind a good QB and you could make the argument that he should shut his mouth.  He's an unknown commodity who has shown flashes of being able to play who may have 10 years ahead of him in this league.  McCown is retiring in a year or two.  

He'll get reps eventually (if he's not traded), but it may be mop up duty like last season over the last few weeks.

46 minutes ago, glenn31 said:

This right here in a nutshell is the problem with this fan base, and this right here is why this organization has no urgency to build something properly.

Fitz: "Sure he's a career backup but he just threw 30 TDs yo!"

Hack: "He's got prototypical size, ran Bill O'Brien's system, has a high football IQ (hahahaha), puts his hands to his ears a la Brady. He's our future!"

Petty: "Damn, he sure can light up 4th stringers in preseason. By the way, have you heard him speak? OMG we have a winner!"

Crazy thing is ALL 3 have proven whether in the pros or college that none of them are horses you should have any desire to hitch your wagon to. Jet fans, however, even with tons of evidence in front of y'all continue to be impressed by some shiny new object: any QB who can breathe properly for 5 minutes becomes the apple of the fanbase's eye. All because he's the next unproven scrub up (although Petty's already shown his "worth" in live action, and solid NFL starter it ain't).

And this isn't some new phenomenon with this fan base. I can first recall this same nonsense happening in 1990-1991 with Troy Taylor.

And for all the name droppers who LOVE to throw out the outliers as if those Steve Young, Matt Hasselback, & Kurt Warner stories are a dime a dozen, I'm still waiting for Mark Sanchez to put it all together by year 4 like Eli did. All the Jets boards in '09, '10, & '11 told me that would happen lol.

Who says Petty is Steve Young, I don't.  

This is now; we only have three QBs on the team. This regime has nothing to do with Sanchez, Geno Smith or Slinging Sammy Bo.  

All I'm saying is when the time is right put Petty in because he has more of a future than a QB in McCown who has been worse than Fitzpatrick over the years, that is all. 

Petty has far more upside as a backup, a back up, than McCown why waste time with your team on him? Makes zero sense. 

Now folks say but the OL sucks and the skill poisitons sucks and so on.  That is true in many regards.

Well that isn't an indictment of me or my statement that Petty should play over McCown but on those in charge. When McCown was starting in Cleveland the team sucked but they were developing many young rookie players. I'm not sure that the Jets have done as good a job as has Cleveland in getting in the high end quality players Cleveland has.

Indeed imo  McCown is a wonderful person and probably could and will be a great coach one day but he really shouldn't be starting for an NFL team anymore.  

And Hack isn't ready yet.   

12 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

indeed imo  McCown is a wonderful person and probably could and will be a great coach one day but he really shouldn't be starting for an NFL team anymore.  

And Hack isn't ready yet.   

I never said you called him Steve Young, others in this thread did. What you asked is based on the things that come out of Bryce Petty's mouth, how can one not like him. Last I checked athletes gain respect and love from their physical ability to put on a good show and help your team win. Two things Bryce Petty, Josh McCown, and the 3rd QB have proven incapable of doing/ being. Ask any Knicks fan during the Ewing era: talk from athletes is extremely cheap. Go out there and at least play like 2002 Pennington, spark some legit hope & encouragement against REAL competition, and then we can talk about how much we like the guy.

Everyone in charge of building this team not name McCagnan has to believe that the future at QB isn't on the roster (and even he has to be at least somewhat skeptical about Hack at this point). I chopped out that part of your post because that can be applied to our entire abysmal QB depth chart, since there isn't 1 bona fide NFL starter at QB here in 2017, and one can EASILY argue that we haven't had 1 since 2008.

And that is why I bring up the old names going back to Troy Taylor. Jet fans LOVE to overrate our mostly scrub QBs and make excuse en masse for them. I've said it before & I'll say it again, I just know in some seedy LI bar back in the day, 2 Jet fans watched a game where O'Brien couldn't get the offense going despite having Walker, Toon, Shuler, McNeil, & Hector and they probably reached the conclusion that O'Brien and the Jets lost due to a lack of weapons.

It's what y'all do. And have continued to do over the years. It might as well be genetic at this point.

Archived