Predict our next coach

long suffering jets fan

3 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

I'm saying that Morton couldn't do any worse than Bowles as a HC. 

Yup, Bowles is pretty bad in my opinion.  No fire, no imagination all I see is a frustrated coach on the sidelines with no answers.  He got hired because he was the Anti-Rex and because of his relationships in the league.  Typical Jets move, go from one extreme to the other.

31 minutes ago, Pcola said:

This is Morgan's first opportunity to call plays.  Now it's not his fault this O is going to be historically bad but no one knows how good he would be.  He is too inexperienced to be given the the Jets best QB prospect in 53 years.  Same thing can be said about Nagy.

Ideally, Payton or McCarthy would be the best options but highly unlikely.  

Im also not convinced that Jon Gruden would be fully committed for the long term.  And the last thing we need is another Parcells telling Archie that he doesn't plan on being around long enough for Peyton to be any good.

My early guess would be Todd Haley and if they went the college route, Dan Mullin of Miss St.  what both of these guys have done in the current roles is nothing short of miraculous.  

Most HCs do not call plays. No reason why a HC needs to be a coordinator at all really. Sometimes being an offense or defensive coordinator predisposes you to favor one side of the ball over the other. 

If we were to fire Bowles during the season we really have no choice but to pick an interim coach from our staff. There may be a better choice than Morton but I don't know who that would be. Certainly no Rodgers IMO. 

34 minutes ago, Larz said:

handing a coach a roster built to lose then firing him for losing means no Jr QB will come out, that epic dysfunction even for this franchise

we get Bowles for another year

Sadly you're probably right, not so much on the QB coming out, or not, but the flawed logic that surrounds the Jets over the past 4 years. 

This year Woody said he's judging this team based how they develop throughout the year.  If they are the same at the end as they are now, I'm hoping Bowles is a goner. 

38 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i wouldn't mind seeing obrien.  but you really think he'd tolerate hack if he didn't perform?  this guy changes qb's like he's changing his clothes.  and what he might do is actually make hack into a bona fide nfl qb.

I don't want him to tolerate Hack if he's not the guy and the QBs he's gotten rid of have been nothing to write home about.

7 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

The Tuna left the AFC Champion Pats for the 1-15 Jets so yeah it happens..:)

You're 100% correct! And the Jets have plenty of money and perhaps the first pick overall, but there aren't too many Parcells out there.  He was a guy who took on the challenge of coaching up the worst teams, not too many do that.

17 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Honestly, wouldn't hate it as much as most. Especially if we get the first overall? We'd never win a damn thing, but at least he wouldn't embarrass us Monday through Saturday.

Your ability to find the silver lining in every dark cloud is what makes you special

10 minutes ago, long suffering jets fan said:

Sadly you're probably right, not so much on the QB coming out, or not, but the flawed logic that surrounds the Jets over the past 4 years. 

This year Woody said he's judging this team based how they develop throughout the year.  If they are the same at the end as they are now, I'm hoping Bowles is a goner. 

I would imagine assurances were made to not only Bowles but Morton and Bates that they would get to stick around for the rebuild. That doesn't really mean anything, Billionaires do as they please, but it is quite the pickle.

If the Jets are a laughingstock, they fire Bowles after gutting the roster, the best QB to come out might be Rudolph, or they win enough games to not get Darnold.

Its actually kind of hard to come up with a scenario where Darnold comes out and the Jets get him where Bowles is not the HC.

33 minutes ago, Larz said:

I would imagine assurances were made to not only Bowles but Morton and Bates that they would get to stick around for the rebuild. That doesn't really mean anything, Billionaires do as they please, but it is quite the pickle.

If the Jets are a laughingstock, they fire Bowles after gutting the roster, the best QB to come out might be Rudolph, or they win enough games to not get Darnold.

Its actually kind of hard to come up with a scenario where Darnold comes out and the Jets get him where Bowles is not the HC.

Regarding your last comment.  Woody was clear he's judging the team on progress from beginning to end of the season.  If the Jets have first overall pick that means they haven't progressed, which means Bowles is a goner.  So I would say if we pick first overall (Darnold) the chances are enhanced that Bowles would be fired and we may replace him with an offensive minded coach.

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Why does anyone assume Morton is good at all?  Is he like the new Hackenberg like Jets homers think he's this hidden offensive gem nobody knows about?

Because he took the job.  Nobody wanted to coach here, and he manned up.  But you are right we don't know.  I would rather have an experienced HC.

26 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

Because he took the job.  Nobody wanted to coach here, and he manned up.  But you are right we don't know.  I would rather have an experienced HC.

This is why you make him the interim HC. If he does well then he will be experienced by next year when you extend him. If not then you can look for a new coach same as if you had left Bowles in charge. You could pick any other coach we have that you think can handle managing personalities, and delegating responsibilities which is what a HC's job really is.

What makes no sense is leaving Bowles in charge of the dysfunction and going into the off season without knowing what you have. Some people on this team, and in the staff are worth keeping and we should find out who they are. We have 15 games to play. We may as well make them productive. 

Otherwise it's a similar philosophy as taking a knee at the half or punting with 4min left. 

7 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

This is why you make him the interim HC. If he does well then he will be experienced by next year when you extend him. If not then you can look for a new coach same as if you had left Bowles in charge. You could pick any other coach we have that you think can handle managing personalities, and delegating responsibilities which is what a HC's job really is.

What makes no sense is leaving Bowles in charge of the dysfunction and going into the off season without knowing what you have. Some people on this team, and in the staff are worth keeping and we should find out who they are. We have 15 games to play. We may as well make them productive. 

Otherwise it's a similar philosophy as taking a knee at the half or punting with 4min left. 

Yes Bowels has to go.  Mac needs to go too.   They will wait til the end of the year though.  Todd can't coach a lick.

I expected us to be bad this yr but this defense is an absolute appointment this alone should get Bowles fired in a bad yr. His one forte and he cant get them to tackle or put pressure on the qb. I expect more out of the defense and they are not delivering, open receivers no pressure they suck and it really starts with Bowles and his scheme

Archived