Elite QB's...who are they?

AFJF

Which current starting QB's should be considered elite?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Elite QB's...you pick 'em

• Tom Brady
    • Aaron Rodgers
    • Phillip Rivers
    • Ben Roethlesberger
    • Eli Manning
    • Matt Ryan
    • Cam Newton
    • Dak Prescott
    • Drew Brees
    • Jameis Winston
    • Joe Flacco
    • Matthew Stafford
    • Alex Smith
    • Jay Cutler
    • Derek Carr
    • Carson Wentz
    • Russell Wilson
    • Marcus Mariota
    • Kirk Cousins

In my opinion elite means only the very best and I voted for Rodgers, Brady, and Brees.  They have proven themselves over time and I consider them hall of fame locks.  There are some other veterans such as Manning, Ryan, and Stafford  who have been very good Qb's but not elite.  The youngsters still have a chance to get there but one or two seasons don't make elite.

2 hours ago, NYs Stepchild said:

2 of these will retire very soon and another few soon after. 

I think we'll be looking at Cam, Wentz, Wilson, Marioto, and maybe Winston. 

We need to hit on one in this next draft and we'll be good for the foreseeable future. 

People keep acting like Carson Wentz is good but I've seen zero evidence that is the case. Nothing about him has been impressive to me.

I know Roethisberger is scum as a human being, but it's hard to argue him not being 'elite'.  By every measure, he has had an amazing, HoF career.  Use Elway as a comparison.  Ben has better statistics in pretty much every category you can think of.  Same if you compare to Aikman.  

Matt Ryan doesn't have the SB win (sooooo close though) but he also has 'elite' metrics in every category.

Rodgers, Brady and Brees definitely Tier 1.

Roethlisberger, Ryan and Rivers (who on a better team would have been as good as any of the others) Tier 2.  Manning just a shade below that.

I think it's too early to call the younger guys elite or not.  Definitely potential there for a few of them but it's too early for me to be comfortable with that designation.  Interesting omission in Luck.

3 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Look at the list of guys who have rings as starting quarterbacks. Look at the list of guys who don't. Ponder whether there is any point in surveying opinions as to what the word elite means.

Jim McMahon>Dan Marino

4 hours ago, Joejet said:

In my opinion elite means only the very best and I voted for Rodgers, Brady, and Brees.  They have proven themselves over time and I consider them hall of fame locks.  There are some other veterans such as Manning, Ryan, and Stafford  who have been very good Qb's but not elite.  The youngsters still have a chance to get there but one or two seasons don't make elite.

Agree with you, with one difference. I'd add Big Ben to the elite group.

I think it's obvious who the elite qbs are in the old guys career wise.  What's less clear is who is elite amongst the young ones.  Take Luck and Stafford.  The latter has had better numbers for awhile now, but something about him doesn't pass the eye test, whereas the former plays pretty well on a poor team.  Luck gives me a Philip Rivers vibe and Stafford has a Tony Romo feel to his numbers.

I think Russel Wilson has demonstrated himself the best amongst the young gen, followed by Carr.  I'm not sold on Cam, Winston, Stafford, Cousins etc.  I'd need to see a lot more tape and consistency in the playoffs etc

We need to hit on one in this next draft and we'll be good for the foreseeable future. 

I think Winston has the best stats of all the young kids you listed

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

5 hours ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Aaron Rodgers, and Russell Wilson still have prime years ahead of them and are currently elite (imo).  I think the same would apply to Matt Ryan but I've heard retirement talk about him.  Cam was elite but I wonder if he's taken too much punishment to still be considered elite.  Maybe he still is but I'm not sure.  

I think Jameis and Wentz have elite upside but still have to prove themselves.  I'm not a huge fan of Mariotta but he is definitely better than I thought he'd be (though I still don't think he'll be elite).  Carr I haven't seen enough of yet but he's probably another guy who is knocking on the door of being "elite" as well.

If we get Darnold, we'll be set up nicely because both Brady and Big Ben are likely near the end of their careers and Peyton already retired.  So that crazy stat about those 3 appearing in the Superbowl something like 15 of 16 years is going to come to an end soon enough.  I could still see New England being very good post-Brady if Belichick sticks around but we'll see what he decides to do.  Miami doesn't seem like they're on the right path at the moment.  Buffalo has a ton of draft picks next draft so, unless they have an Idzik-like draft, potentially they'll be a very strong team going forward.  If the Jets get Darnold, we really might be the next powerhouse in the division for a few years.  We have a ton of cap room and some good young defensive players.  If we draft Darnold, I expect a major switch of focus to loading up Darnold with weapons.  We have an extra 2nd rounder next year too due to Sheldon Richardson.  Free agency can likely help on the O-line.

Archived