The Mike Glennon era is off to one heck of a start

RutgersJetFan

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Good news, Mike Glennon might be available to be the Jets 2018 starter when they draft a stud nose tackle at #4 next draft. Bears may release him tonight on the field. 

I don't have the game on...is it that bad? Crazy that they gave him all that money. Glad the Jets passed.

1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Good news, Mike Glennon might be available to be the Jets 2018 starter when they draft a stud nose tackle at #4 next draft. Bears may release him tonight on the field. 

What's his completion percentage on 3rd down? If it's anything less than 81.5, no thanks. We've got our guy.

5 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Where is that Charlie Brown GUY!!!

He was the one writing post after post along with Villain stating that we get Glennon, now where is he hiding!!!  What is he going to say "it's early yet"!!

All I can say is where is he....... :)  

I think I saw him on the Josh McCown bandwagon...

On 9/17/2017 at 11:55 PM, sciond said:

Bullet Dodged.

Perhaps. Mind you, I don't have a dog in this race, but here's the funny part.

The time @Villain The Foe was having the most fun littering the most threads in advocating for getting Glennon was the prior year (2016) than this past offseason. At the time it would have allegedly cost a 2nd rounder, but back then Glennon still had a year left on his contract - plus the ability to tag him this year if needed - for a cheap-$ tryout. So we wouldn't need (and wouldn't have done) the $18m guaranteed Chicago gave him to be the top bidder. 

This means the net would have been

• missing out on drafting Christian Hackenberg (~$3-4m savings, depending on when he gets cut)
  • failing to re-sign Ryan Fitzpatrick, whose cap hit is/was higher ($12m savings)
  • pay Glennon ~$1.7m for the 2016 season, where any extension beyond that could've been a non-guaranteed team option at a high amount ($15m+/year) that we wouldn't end up paying.

Net savings: $13-14m over doing what we did instead.

Then there's the further chance - if the stories are to be believed that someone else would have grabbed Hack before our 3rd round pick - that the next-best QB on our board would have been Dak Prescott, and maybe we'd have grabbed him in round 3 or 4. Then Glennon would have been let go to FA in 2017, or retained as a backup for 1/3 or less (of what he's getting now). If let go in 2017 (don't exercise team option for extension), we'd recover a comp pick in 2018.

Indirectly, trading our (2016) 2nd rounder to Washington for him may have been a far better move than what we did instead.

One-upping Chicago for him in 2017 though? Yeah, bullet dodged. Or it certainly looks that way so far.

12 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Perhaps. Mind you, I don't have a dog in this race, but here's the funny part.

The time @Villain The Foe was having the most fun littering the most threads in advocating for getting Glennon was the prior year (2016) than this past offseason. At the time it would have allegedly cost a 2nd rounder, but back then Glennon still had a year left on his contract - plus the ability to tag him this year if needed - for a cheap-$ tryout. So we wouldn't need (and wouldn't have done) the $18m guaranteed Chicago gave him to be the top bidder. 

This means the net would have been

• missing out on drafting Christian Hackenberg (~$3-4m savings, depending on when he gets cut)
  • failing to re-sign Ryan Fitzpatrick, whose cap hit is/was higher ($12m savings)
  • pay Glennon ~$1.7m for the 2016 season, where any extension beyond that could've been a non-guaranteed team option at a high amount ($15m+/year) that we wouldn't end up paying.

Net savings: $13-14m over doing what we did instead.

Then there's the further chance - if the stories are to be believed that someone else would have grabbed Hack before our 3rd round pick - that the next-best QB on our board would have been Dak Prescott, and maybe we'd have grabbed him in round 3 or 4. Then Glennon would have been let go to FA in 2017, or retained as a backup for 1/3 or less (of what he's getting now). If let go in 2017 (don't exercise team option for extension), we'd recover a comp pick in 2018.

Indirectly, trading our (2016) 2nd rounder to Washington for him may have been a far better move than what we did instead.

One-upping Chicago for him in 2017 though? Yeah, bullet dodged. Or it certainly looks that way so far.

Either way we would still be;ppking for a QB sadly

I was referring to 2017 when I was referring to bullet dodged. McCown certainly has been the better choice fo the Jets so far

51 minutes ago, Maxman said:

McCown looks surprisingly good. That is a scary (but true) statement.

I heard he got an early addition printing of Bradys book. Eating right, drinking 100 gallons of water a day, and it seems to be working 38 is the new 28.

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

I don't have the game on...is it that bad? Crazy that they gave him all that money. Glad the Jets passed.

We laugh.  The Jets are so signing a veteran QB next season even if they draft one.  We would be lucky at this point to get McCown for $10mm.

1 minute ago, RoadFan said:

He really is pleasant to listen to.  Offers insight.  Not overbearing.  Not saturated with the B.S. cliches the other talking heads use ad nauseam.   Calls the game through a QBs eyes.

Through a smart QB's eyes. He knows everything going on during every play on both sides of the ball. 

Also, he's a bit unpolished as an announcer, in a good way. He has a ton of insight, wants to share it all, and has the emotions of a fan or a player on the team. Refreshing take.

1 minute ago, PS17 said:

Through a smart QB's eyes. He knows everything going on during every play on both sides of the ball. 

Also, he's a bit unpolished as an announcer, in a good way. He has a ton of insight, wants to share it all, and has the emotions of a fan or a player on the team. Refreshing take.

Agree completely.  I like the "unpolished" factor.

I can call the typical color guys' comments before they say them... constantly.

Romo offers some adlib.

Archived