Start Petty Next Week vs Dolphins

Maxman

I'd like to see Petty start but if Bowles follows his strategic pattern which I'm sure he will, we won't be seeing Petty or Hack until the last few games....unless McCown gets hurt. The schedule starts getting tough at week 6 other than Buffalo which already beat the Jets and the Fish... I dont see any wins unless things change dramatically. Then the sh*t show really begins.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McCown has been a trooper and deserves better than this dumpster fire of a team, but the reality is that having a veteran starting at QB to "guide" the young receivers is a vastly overrated concept.  I think that it's more important to see if Petty and/or Hackenberg are salvageable parts in any way for 2018, and the bigger the sample size the organization has to judge them on, the better.  

19 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

He's not even playing him in garbage time during a blowout. And don't forget how he refused to budge on Fitz last year.

And not only is Petty not playing next week, but he'll confirm McCown as the starter as soon as this is over. This is Bowles. Get used to it.

A Stewart: 8 plays

C Hanson: 2 plays

Just now, Gen X Jet said:

A Stewart: 8 plays

C Hanson: 2 plays

this is amazing, especially considering that woody allegedly told bowles/mccags that they will be evaluated on how the young players develop.  so bowles not playing these guys is basically saying f-you to management, while also reducing his chances of staying next season.  this is a completely irrational, emotional response to being given a young team that isn't competitive.  instead of embracing the rebuild and even pretending to want to be a part of it, bowles patently rejects it while playing forte the majority of the time.  i don't want this baby coaching my team anymore.

5 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

McCown has been a trooper and deserves better than this dumpster fire of a team, but the reality is that having a veteran starting at QB to "guide" the young receivers is a vastly overrated concept.  I think that it's more important to see if Petty and/or Hackenberg are salvageable parts in any way for 2018, and the bigger the sample size the organization has to judge them on, the better.  

I feel like he (McCown) is in there to help the offensive line more than the receivers.

I feel like he (McCown) is in there to help the offensive line more than the receivers.

IMO I think that McCown was brought in to mentor the two young QB's and from the sidelines guide whoever won the starting job........except that both QB's didn't cooperate and show the powers the be enough to become starters which leaves us where we are now - going nowhere with a 38 year old journeyman as our QB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

this is amazing, especially considering that woody allegedly told bowles/mccags that they will be evaluated on how the young players develop.  so bowles not playing these guys is basically saying f-you to management, while also reducing his chances of staying next season.  this is a completely irrational, emotional response to being given a young team that isn't competitive.  instead of embracing the rebuild and even pretending to want to be a part of it, bowles patently rejects it while playing forte the majority of the time.  i don't want this baby coaching my team anymore.

Just my opinion, but if there is a wink wink deal with Macc, I don't think Bowles is in on it.

Think he is justifiably going to be the fall guy this season.   

3 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Just my opinion, but if there is a wink wink deal with Macc, I don't think Bowles is in on it.

Think he is justifiably going to be the fall guy this season.   

bowles' unwillingness to play the young guys so far would appear consistent that he is not part of the longer-term plan.  

the irony here, IMO, is that if bowles played petty and they won a few games, that would help bowles way more than playing mccown and looking scared with this pathetic defense.

Just now, flgreen said:

I think when they cut Decker and Harris, and it appears that Macc didn't didn't bother telling him, it was a big hint to him.

more like the final straws, since they already got rid of more or less every other vet.  i know bowles hasn't been good, but mccags really hasn't made a strong case to be retained either.  but if woody is going to keep one of them it will be mccags.

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

basically, bowles is pulling a sinatra & doing it "my way.."

personally, i think bowles is an incompetent, vindictive, (petty, powell) dope.. but even i believe he's not enough of a dullard to believe his insubordination won't get him fired.. possibly during this season..

so has he come to terms with he will never, ever be an NFL HC again, due to his apparent insubordination?? i would add, his incompetence might not help either but i'm quite sure he doesn't see himself in that light..

or is his ego telling him, "i'm in an absolute no win situation with the jets.. some organization(s) is going to recognize my genius & give me another shot.."

On 9/17/2017 at 7:39 PM, Pac said:

There's no reason to bench McCown when this Kacey Rogers defense can't stop anyone.

Sticking with Fitz was different..  he was playing abysmal ball.  Josh is actually playing quite well when you look at how the last few weeks have unfolded. 

let's not get too excited over mccown.  the oline is doing better and they looked better this past week than against the bills. but if this defense doesn't come around then it's going be an even longer season than anyone thought.  the games are okay if they look competitive but we are looking at 14 weeks of blowouts. where's the intensity that kevin greene exudes?

6 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

IMO I think that McCown was brought in to mentor the two young QB's and from the sidelines guide whoever won the starting job........except that both QB's didn't cooperate and show the powers the be enough to become starters which leaves us where we are now - going nowhere with a 38 year old journeyman as our QB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you are half right.  I think McCown was brought in to mentor Hack when Hack won the job.  Petty was never part of the agenda.  But when Hack crapped the bed, they had to bury Petty behind McCown to stop him from playing just good enough to stall the Hack train.  This way they can still try to bring Hack in when they think he's ready to not embarrass the team.  My guess is Petty plays only if McCown is injured and Hack is inactive. 

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I think you are half right.  I think McCown was brought in to mentor Hack when Hack won the job.  Petty was never part of the agenda.  But when Hack crapped the bed, they had to bury Petty behind McCown to stop him from playing just good enough to stall the Hack train.  This way they can still try to bring Hack in when they think he's ready to not embarrass the team.  My guess is Petty plays only if McCown is injured and Hack is inactive. 

In the real NFL doesn't the best player usually win the starting job. 

I dont think the crowd will turn on McCown. Usually the QB gets it when there are expectations (Chad in 05 and 07, Sanchez in 11 and more so 12, Geno in 14, Fitz last year) and we dont have those at all. And its not like hes holding back a regarded prospect. We saw Petty a bit last year and there wasnt much there. The Jets did not even give him a chance to win the job this summer which I think signaled to everyone about where he was at. Doesnt mean he wont be better than last year but I dont think there is a huge push to say that McCown is blocking some kind of progress or potential turnaround. The closest recent comparison I can really think of was when the Jets finally gave up on Vinny in 05 when the team was totally out and they went to Bollinger just to throw something against the wall and see if it would stick. There was no consideration really given to him again after that and while Petty wasnt nearly as bad as Bollinger I got the feeling that most see him the same way. Its all a moot point since Josh is going to get hurt sometime soon which will lead to Petty and eventually Hackenberg in front of an empty stadium in December.

On 9/17/2017 at 6:36 PM, Maxman said:

Thanks McCown. Great effort.

The offensive line had some moments today. The team is coming home for the opener. McCown can share his knowledge from the sidelines. The season is off to a disgusting start.

McGuire looks good. The OLine has some potential.

They should start Petty next week and just evaluate all the kids.

Did you see what happened to Petty the last time he played the fins?  Do the names Suh and Wake mean anything to you?  McCown is starting till the Jags, or Browns game.

Archived