Mo Wilkerson Contract (Just mentioned on SNY post-game)

TuscanyTile2

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Apparently his contract gives the Jets an out after this year.  We can release him and save the $17 million.  Right now I would think that's the likely scenario.

Sounds good. We could use that money to sign a free agent safety. :blink:

1 minute ago, pointman said:

So let Snacks go, sell Sheldon, and then release Mo. Sounds like we getting ready to try something new and draft a DL in the 1st round.

Nothing says rebuild like gutting the position group that is set, before finding any other NFL caliber players in 3 years.

3 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Mangolds effort was NEVER in question.   HE was hurt and played hard.  Coples, Wilk,  Revis etc.... all made it clear they are not giving it their best.  We all defended David Harris, CMart, and many many others because they tried even with declining skills.  

Throw Brick in there as well

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Apparently his contract gives the Jets an out after this year.  We can release him and save the $17 million.  Right now I would think that's the likely scenario.

All this while Snacks Harrison continues to be the anchor of the Giants defense. One of Macc's worst moves in a series of bad moves so far

1 minute ago, Freemanm said:

All this while Snacks Harrison continues to be the anchor of the Giants defense. One of Macc's worst moves in a series of bad moves so far

IIRC, Snacks was the only significant change on defense from 2015 to 2016. I wonder how much his absence played a factor in the breakdown on defense.

4 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

IIRC, Snacks was the only significant change on defense from 2015 to 2016. I wonder how much his absence played a factor in the breakdown on defense.

You really don't think his absence has anything to do with why we went from being in the top five run defenses in 2015 to having a piss poor run defense today?

4 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

I believe it's that the offense somehow got worse. At least before last year there was a semblance of a running game sometimes. As much as he was a great find, the kind of find the Jets don't get nearly enough, the Jets aren't where they are because they gave up a run stuffer who plays half the snaps on defense. 

14 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

According to over the cap, we save about $11 million next year, but would have about $9 million in dead money.  Might be worth it though, given the $100 million in cap space.  We can absorb it and be done with this dog. 

On the surface it seems so, but that "dead" amount is already gone whether we keep him or not. We save his full salary amount, since none of it is guaranteed (unless he gets injured, I think). They save $17m because they won't be paying him another $17m. 

Depending on how much they're looking to spend in 2018 (i.e. how much cap space they need next year), they could designate him a June 1 cut. His cap hit would then drop from $20m to $3m (rather than $9m), and then in 2019 there'd be a $6m donut hole. It's $9m "dead" either way, but consider they got to use ~$6m extra space in 2016 (to use towards Fitzpatrick :bag:). So it's not a penalty, per se. It's just that we chose to have that money hit later rather than earlier.

But just to avoid looking stupid, assuming the GM is Maccagnan, I think he'd spread the $9m over 2 years to prevent lots of internet fans and Mehtas from seeing that full amount in dead space all in 1 lump sum and using that number against him. He'll get more flack for dead hits of $9m and $0 than for hits of $3m and $6m, even though they're the same thing. Plus it'll make cutting him next year look like that much more of a no-brainer, as the savings will seem more significant than it is in actuality.

Archived